• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

IT'S APRIL.

Let's focus on the SCOTUS ruling. Obama is kicking Romney's ass at the moment but it's so early it doesn't matter either way.

June cannot come any sooner. It feels like a year at this point. If they don't uphold the law... smh.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_...ama-not-working-on-plan-b-for-healthcare-law/

President Obama on Tuesday reiterated his prediction from a day earlier that the Supreme Court would uphold the constitutionality of the landmark healthcare law and said his administration is not working on a backup plan in case the nation's highest court throws out the signature legislative achievement of his presidency.

"I have enormous confidence that in looking at this law, not only is it constitutional, but that the court is going to exercise its jurisprudence carefully because of the profound power that our Supreme Court has," Mr. Obama told editors at the annual gathering of the Associated Press.

"As a consequence, we are not spending a whole bunch of time planning for contingencies. What I did emphasize yesterday is there is a human element to this that everybody has to remember," he said, emphasizing that he gets letters everyday from people whose lives are affected by the 2010 law.

While he repeatedly expressed his optimism that the court would rule in favor of the law, Mr. Obama appeared to be laying down a political argument for the healthcare law in case he loses in court.

"I think what's more important is for all of us, Democrats and Republicans, to recognize that in a country like ours, the wealthiest, most powerful country on earth, we shouldn't have a system in which millions of people are at risk of bankruptcy because they get sick. Or end up waiting until they do get sick and then go to the emergency room which involves all of us paying for it," he said.

Sotomayor isn't saying anything about it, which is to be expected:

Justice Sonia Sotomayor is giving no hints on what the Supreme Court is going to do on the question of whether President Barack Obama's signature health care overhaul law is constitutional.

Sotomayor was the featured speaker Monday night at a lecture hosted by the University of the District of Columbia.

The court recently heard arguments on the health care law and is expected to make a decision before the end of June. But Sotomayor made no comment on the widely followed case.

Fox318

You will never have a Ron Paul presidency ;____;

http://i.imgur.com/B1Erz.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

If he couldn't win Maine he can't win anything.

Also doesn't help that a ton of people that probably would vote for him aren't registered Republicans.

Honestly if he had Ross Perot-like backing he could probably get more votes than Romney in the general election.

Then again with the cash that Super-Pacs are throwing around anyone outside of Bloomberg doesn't stand a chance.

Miletius

IT'S APRIL.

Let's focus on the SCOTUS ruling. Obama is kicking Romney's ass at the moment but it's so early it doesn't matter either way.

June cannot come any sooner. It feels like a year at this point. If they don't uphold the law... smh.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_...ama-not-working-on-plan-b-for-healthcare-law/

Sotomayor isn't saying anything about it, which is to be expected:

Similarly, I can't really muster energy to concern myself about the mandate ruling. It's 2 months away, we won't get any news of it until the announcement and it's totally out of my hands. Not to say that it isn't important -- it's just that at this point anything I say or do is irrelevant to the process and anything I read won't meaningfully assuage me.

Considering democrats tend to treat Hispanics like a special interest group that can be riled up every 2-4 years, the GOP has a shot at regaining them if they actually try. It's not like democrats were out fighting for the DREAM Act, in fact they killed it.

I think Rubio's take on immigration issues should be the blueprint for the GOP. Much like democrat's take on gay issues where getting something>getting nothing.

Considering democrats tend to treat Hispanics like a special interest group that can be riled up every 2-4 years, the GOP has a shot at regaining them if they actually try. It's not like democrats were out fighting for the DREAM Act, in fact they killed it.

I think Rubio's take on immigration issues should be the blueprint for the GOP. Much like democrat's take on gay issues where getting something>getting nothing.

Considering Republicans are doing the best they can to remind us at all times that we are cheap labor that should be grateful to be here and kicked out when possible, Democrats "riling [us] up" every 2-4 years isn't too bad.

Miletius

I'm a little late but Missouri will go red. Mark my words.

Not that it will matter...

I agree on both points. Central Missouri was hit pretty hard by the recession and there isn't any amount of Saint Louis Blues magic that could turn out high enough to overcome the central part this time around. Not to mention that the suburban St. Louis districts are turning redder.

Mccaskill is probably on her way out too and there will be millions dumped into the race to assure she's out. That won't help the up-ticket one bit.

Do you actually believe the points you make or have you become so self aware in your trolling ways that even you get confused as to whether you're being serious or not.

Starting to think the proposed Rutgers-Rowan merger is Christie's march into Russia.

Hopefully this is the issue that will finally end Christie's ill-begotten reputation as a no-nonsense guy who tells it like it is. Hopefully the Republicans can move onto a New Hope that is not a deceitful double talker (Tall Order I know).

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/04/rowans_takover_of_rutgers-camd.html

Article Headline: "Rutgers-Rowan merger opposed by 59 percent of voters."

Story Summary For You Folks: Christie essentially promised George Norcross (South jersey Democratic Power Broker) a reward for helping him break the state unions over their pensions. This reward is a new "research" university for Norcross to win more no-bid contracts to service and make oodles of cash for him and his cronies.

Do you actually believe the points you make or have you become so self aware in your trolling ways that even you get confused as to whether you're being serious or not.

My point is that democrats cannot take the Hispanic vote for granted forever. I realize there wasn't time to address immigration, but the Obama admin decided to deport record amounts of people as if they were concerned about seeming soft on the topic; of course, the pace slowed just in time for the 2012 election season. And as I said, a handful of democrats made sure the DREAM Act wouldn't pass.

It's clear Harry Reid owes his seat to Hispanics, and hopefully the party actually tackles the issues in the future (if Obama wins). The problem will be republicans (and some democrats) will be opposed, so it's time for Obama to actually show some leadership on the issue regardless of whether something passes or not.

My point is that democrats cannot take the Hispanic vote for granted forever. I realize there wasn't time to address immigration, but the Obama admin decided to deport record amounts of people as if they were concerned about seeming soft on the topic; of course, the pace slowed just in time for the 2012 election season. And as I said, a handful of democrats made sure the DREAM Act wouldn't pass.

It's clear Harry Reid owes his seat to Hispanics, and hopefully the party actually tackles the issues in the future (if Obama wins). The problem will be republicans (and some democrats) will be opposed, so it's time for Obama to actually show some leadership on the issue regardless of whether something passes or not.

That's not the same as killing it. Your original post implied intent.

Again, it comes to which party is worse. Many in the DNC take the Hispanic vote for granted, sure, but where are they gonna go? Ron Paul? Mitt Romney? LoL.

That's not the same as killing it. Your original post implied intent.

I'd argue it was effectively killed considering democrats had the seats to ram it through, as well as bipartisan support; the re-introduced version could have passed in 2009. The 2010 version had less support, and while it passed the House the Senate couldn't reach 60. Reid tacked it onto a defense spending bill, a purely political move; IIRC Durbin and Lugar re-introduced it separately and it died again.

Arguing dems effectively tell Hispanics "well we don't do anything for them, but we don't treat them like shit" is condescending. The GOP has a shot at regaining the vote eventually, especially if Hispanics heavily reject Romney in November.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

A handful of Democrats, and you blame the entire party. The every Republican, and they are ignored? I don't get your logic sometimes.

I'd argue it was effectively killed considering democrats had the seats to ram it through, as well as bipartisan support; the re-introduced version could have passed in 2009. The 2010 version had less support, and while it passed the House the Senate couldn't reach 60. Reid tacked it onto a defense spending bill, a purely political move; IIRC Durbin and Lugar re-introduced it separately and it died again.

Arguing dems effectively tell Hispanics "well we don't do anything for them, but we don't treat them like shit" is condescending. The GOP has a shot at regaining the vote eventually, especially if Hispanics heavily reject Romney in November.

THIS GOP doesn't have a shot at regaining the hispanic vote. Sorry.

Plus hindsight is 20/20. Just because you mess up on passing a bill doesn't mean you intentionally wanted it killed. It was a mistake not to pass it sooner if they could've passed it at all. But every politician makes mistakes.

I don't follow.

Particle Physicist

Plus hindsight is 20/20. Just because you mess up on passing a bill doesn't mean you intentionally wanted it killed. It was a mistake not to pass it sooner if they could've passed it at all. But every politician makes mistakes.

This is another good point. People keep talking about how the Democrats had a wasted supermajority, as if they could have foreseen that the Republicans would end up filibustering everything, including things that had bipartisan support in the past, or even originated from Republicans.

Mistake? It wasn't a priority, and could and should have passed in 09; it's clear this is something democrats would prefer to parade out every 2-4 years.

ClovingStream is right, this GOP isn't going anywhere with Hispanics. But I expect much of this GOP to effectively be tabled if Obama wins this year. Yes they'll still be loud and mad, but the party's upcoming candidates like Christie and Rubio aren't nearly as ridiculous on immigration. The party needs a makeover, and a defeat to a vulnerable Obama would ensure the beginning of that process.

GhaleonEB

Preempting speculawyer:

After Record Sales, Chevy Volt Production Will Resume One Week Early

Buoyed by record monthly sales of its Chevy Volt hybrid electric plug-in car in March, General Motors will resume production of the Volt at the Detroit Hamtramck plant one week early, the United Auto Workers told TPM on Tuesday night.

“They’re adding a week of production back in,” said Don LaForest, the chairman of the UAW’s bargaining committee at the Detroit Hamtramck plant, where the Volt is manufactured, in a phone interview.

GM in early March startled observers by announcing a temporary hold on Volt production scheduled for five weeks, from March 19 to April 23, during which time employees would be temporarily laid-off but receive SUB pay.

At the time, GM and the UAW told TPM that hold was “totally normal,” and put in place to “re-align” supply of the Volt with demand, following sluggish sales in January at just 603 units.

But now, thanks to the GM’s news on Monday that the Volt sold a record 2,289 units in March, employees will be coming back to work a week early
.​
Seems gas prices are having an impact on the Volt.

Mistake? It wasn't a priority, and could and should have passed in 09; it's clear this is something democrats would prefer to parade out every 2-4 years.

ClovingStream is right, this GOP isn't going anywhere with Hispanics. But I expect much of this GOP to effectively be tabled if Obama wins this year. Yes they'll still be loud and mad, but the party's upcoming candidates like Christie and Rubio aren't nearly as ridiculous on immigration. The party needs a makeover, and a defeat to a vulnerable Obama would ensure the beginning of that process.

Not when they write off the guy Obama's defeating as Obama in a Republican skin.

Have you seen that latest Santorum ad? My family is of the same opinion. They think Romney's basically Obama, just an Obama that's pretending to not be an Obama to get elected.

Which he is for the most part, aside from his general stance on economics and tax cuts.

Preempting speculawyer:

Buoyed by record monthly sales of its Chevy Volt hybrid electric plug-in car in March, General Motors will resume production of the Volt at the Detroit Hamtramck plant one week early, the United Auto Workers told TPM on Tuesday night.

“They’re adding a week of production back in,” said Don LaForest, the chairman of the UAW’s bargaining committee at the Detroit Hamtramck plant, where the Volt is manufactured, in a phone interview.

GM in early March startled observers by announcing a temporary hold on Volt production scheduled for five weeks, from March 19 to April 23, during which time employees would be temporarily laid-off but receive SUB pay.

At the time, GM and the UAW told TPM that hold was “totally normal,” and put in place to “re-align” supply of the Volt with demand, following sluggish sales in January at just 603 units.

But now, thanks to the GM’s news on Monday that the Volt sold a record 2,289 units in March, employees will be coming back to work a week early
.​

I'm sure Kosmo will make a thread noting the car's return to production, and the successful sales

...nope

Al-ibn Kermit

Congress will get rotated within 6 years at the very earliest. Realistically I think it'll be at least 15 years before we see a Republican party that leans even slightly pro-immigration.

And that is with the assumption that the party doesn't implode and go extinct by then. They may have dug themselves into a whole they can't get out of as they latched themselves to the old who will eventually die and the conservative whites who are being out-bred.

Yes, PD, because I'm sure the Democrats enjoy being open to attacks from Republicans on doing nothing about immigration.

Hope there are more people like me: for legalized marijuana, higher taxes across the board, true universal healthcare (not Obamacare), investment in infrastructure, reducing military presence where none is needed, etc.

We don't need higher taxes "across the board." Look at this, a leftist arguing against tax raises and a conservative arguing for them! (That's good!)

I think we need higher taxes only the rich, but that is because I think we need to decrease income inequality, which has very severe negative ramifications on a society.

Otherwise, I'm with you!

Edit: three exclamation marks. That has to set a record for me.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

I read an article on the Economis that made the same argument a couple months ago. But it was such a baffling piece, because although I'm sure the Republicans want the Lation vote, they don't want to do jack shit for the Latinos themselves. The fact that Obama and the Dems have left openings for the Republicans to come and take advantage (Obama's record on deportation) is meaningless because it presumes Republicans have any desire to go against their own fricken policy positions. If Republicans eventually became pro-immigration, then they wouldn't be fricken Republicans!

Democrats always overestimate their chances/mandate. Hell, many of them thought after 2008 that Republican majorities were over for good in either house of Congress..

Ah, the idea of permanent majority, a Democrat delusion previously held on the Republican side only by fringe-y powerless extremists like Karl Rove.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
ugh, considering I took a lot of American history and literature courses at UCR.
of course, I'm an educated socialist elitist according to him.

There's a lot of things I like about Cali, and our UC system is among the top of the list, so it pisses me off doubly that a fuckhead flat earther like Santorum would go and make such an idiotic fabrication/insult.

markatisu

I think the biggest problem with the GOP in regards to Hispanics is that the "Power players" in the GOP are the ones with the horrific rhetoric. Democrats do not love the subgroup but you don't have Obama, Reid, or any the other big names going out of their way to alienate them. Democrats are the lesser of two evils and the fact that most Democrats first response is not "send them back to where they came from" goes a long way.

Also to address the point the Hispanics are not organized to be any kind of electoral force I point you to Nebraska in the 2008 Election. There is no bigger clear indicator of what is to come then when McCain lost 1 electoral vote in that supremely red state.

Obama has a completely Hispanic ground force in the Midwest.

He made a concentrated effort to mobilize with his Sí, se puede campaign (which for any Latino studies people will know invokes Cesar Chavez and the United Farm Workers movement which resonates today with the community)

RDreamer

Holy. Shit. This robocall went out in Wisconsin and Ohio

Hi, my name is Brian Camenker; I’m a Jew from Massachusetts. And, this is Darcy Brandon; I’m a Christian from California. If you believe as we do that marriage and sexuality should only be between a man and a woman, please help us stop Mitt Romney. As Governor, Romney signed "Gay Youth Pride Day" declarations, promoted homosexuality in our elementary schools, and unconstitutionally ordered state officals to make Massachusetts America’s first same-sex marriage state. Romney supports open homosexuality in the military, the appointment of homosexual judges, and the ENDA law, making it illegal to fire a man who wears a dress and high heels to work, even if he’s your kid’s teacher. When you vote tomorrow, please vote for social sanity and Rick Santorum, NOT for homosexuality and Mitt Romney. Rick Santorum is the ONLY candidate who can be trusted to uphold traditional marriage, a straight military, and the rights of American children to have both a mother and a father. This message paid for by Jews and Christians Together.ORG and not authorized by any candidate. To get the FACTS before you vote, visit Jews and Christians Together.ORG

LOL

Because when I think social sanity I think Rick Santorum.

Chichikov

Bwaahaha. Only orthodox jews have issues with gay marriage. Even Israel recognizes same sex marriages.
Israel doesn't even allow for non-orthodox marriage for Jews.
The only thing Israel does, is in the civil registry, list people who were gay-married abroad as married.
And the supreme court had to force the government to even do that, plus the justices were really clear that this is only about the civil registry, and should not be seen as granting recognition of gay marriage.

It should be noted that same sex partners do get some protection from the marriage by habit and repute statues, but that doesn't even put Israel on par with states that allow for same sex civil unions.

Bwaahaha. Only orthodox jews have issues with gay marriage. Even Israel recognizes same sex marriages.

That and the fact that the modern day Israel which he thinks is a god given gift was founded by a bunch of secular socialists and was a socialist state for its first few decades of existance and still is closer to Europe than the US in economic structure.

I hate the rights fixation with Israel and turning it into something it´s not.

The only thing Israel does, is in the civil registry, list people who were gay-married abroad as married.
And the supreme court had to force the government to even do that, plus the justices were really clear that this is only about the civil registry, and should not be seen as granting recognition of gay marriage.

It should be noted that same sex partners do get some protection from the marriage by habit and repute statues, but that doesn't even put Israel on par with states that allow for same sex civil unions.

The status quo sucks....

Particle Physicist

I thought that it's basically due to the system that is in place for recognizing any marriage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage_in_Israel

Either way, Israel is way more progressive on a national level with respect to gay rights than the US.

Holy. Shit. This robocall went out in Wisconsin and Ohio

LOL

Because when I think social sanity I think Rick Santorum.

the appointment of homosexual judges

Not to diminish the other stuff, because all of it is reprehensible, but this is specifically saying Romney is bad for not discriminating the hiring of someone for a job based on their sexuality.

Homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to be judges. I feel like I've been through a wormhole and came out in the 1960s...

Chichikov

The status quo sucks....
Have you looked at demographics trends recently?
You're gonna miss the status quo.

I thought that it's basically due to the system that is in place for recognizing any marriage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage_in_Israel

Either way, Israel is way more progressive on a national level with respect to gay rights than the US.
Israel is by far the most ass backward country I've ever been to when it comes to marriage in general, the US really shouldn't look at it for inspiration.

And I don't want to get into homophobic competition here, but Israel is a far cry from the super tolerant gay friendly image they like to paint in the media.
Especially outside Tel Aviv.
Fuck, there were violent clashes (up to attempted murder) in all the gay pride parades they ever done in Jerusalem.

And I don't want to get into homophobic competition here, but Israel is a far cry from the super tolerant gay friendly image they like to paint in the media.
Especially outside Tel Aviv.
Fuck, there were violent clashes (up to attempted murder) in all the gay pride parades they ever done in Jerusalem.
Yeah, Bill Maher did a bit about that . . . he had a picture of an Imam, a priest, some Orthodox Rabbis, etc. and noted they can't agree about anything except to hate the gays.

A clip of it.

Preempting speculawyer:

. . .

But now, thanks to the GM’s news on Monday that the Volt sold a record 2,289 units in March, employees will be coming back to work a week early[/B].​

It was a nice turn around. But I'm worried that it is just a temporary blip due to a new model that gets the California carpool lane sticker and a generous quad-zero lease program.

The really suspicious thing lately is that Fox News has all of a sudden been very nice to the Volt and even let them have what amounted to a 5 minute infomercial. Bob Lutz has implied that GM threatened Fox with a lawsuit and Fox decided to lay off the Volt bashing.

I got to check out a Volt in some promotion recently. It was very nice. The battery really gives it a low center of a gravity so it handles well. But I'm going to go for a pure electric. But that quad-zero lease is tempting . . . I could lease the Volt for 3 years and then when the lease is up, there will be a whole new crop of EVs available from other makers.

Starting to think the proposed Rutgers-Rowan merger is Christie's march into Russia.

Hopefully this is the issue that will finally end Christie's ill-begotten reputation as a no-nonsense guy who tells it like it is. Hopefully the Republicans can move onto a New Hope that is not a deceitful double talker (Tall Order I know).

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/04/rowans_takover_of_rutgers-camd.html

Article Headline: "Rutgers-Rowan merger opposed by 59 percent of voters."

Story Summary For You Folks: Christie essentially promised George Norcross (South jersey Democratic Power Broker) a reward for helping him break the state unions over their pensions. This reward is a new "research" university for Norcross to win more no-bid contracts to service and make oodles of cash for him and his cronies.

This story is a more frustrating reminder to me of Democratic attempts to sell out one of their core constituencies any chance they get. God damn.

Chichikov

Yeah, Bill Maher did a bit about that . . . he had a picture of an Imam, a priest, some Orthodox Rabbis, etc. and noted they can't agree about anything except to hate the gays.

A clip of it.
Amazing how he manage to show his ignorance even in this clip.
Dear Bill: all the big 3 believe in the same god.
Even you should know that.

In the defense of Israel it should be noted that Tel Aviv makes San Francisco look like Bismark, Nebraska (slight hyperbole, plus I know shit and all about the Bismark, Nebraska and its treatment of gays, I just think it's a funny name).
But Tel Aviv is a world class city through and through.

This story is a more frustrating reminder to me of Democratic attempts to sell out one of their core constituencies any chance they get. God damn.
I feel like I should have an opinion on this issue, but fuck if I'm going to bother researching New Jersey state schools.
So I don't know, Christie is fat?

I feel like I should have an opinion on this issue, but fuck if I'm going to bother researching New Jersey state schools.
So I don't know, Christie is fat?

I was referring to this part of the article.

Christie essentially promised George Norcross (South jersey Democratic Power Broker) a reward for helping him break the state unions over their pensions

It would be a different country if the Republicans treated the Chamber of Commerce as shitty as democrats treat labor.

So no one wants to even mention the primary results? (Romney won MD, WI, and DC)

Well, Rick put up a better fight in Wisconsin than I thought he would. Romney didn't manage get break 50% in Maryland or Wisconsin so he's looking like he can't just 'finish the job'.

This is going to be dull but punctuated with ugliness election.

Amazing how he manage to show his ignorance even in this clip.
Dear Bill: all the big 3 believe in the same god.
Even you should know that.
That's a pretty cheap shot. Yes, they nominally believe in the same god, but the substance of their beliefs is otherwise pretty radically divergent and I don't think it at all facile to point out that one of the few things that has remained common to the three is a particularly narrow set of intolerances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom