• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chichikov

Right. The tough decision when the time comes is to sacrifice the one family member that has neither power nor voice to speak for himself, to punish him for his being, and to make fun of him when he shits himself in sickness and fear.
Yep, you are totally not overreacting to a 30 year old story of pet mistreatment.
Not at all.
Not one bit.

Animals just don't like the GOP. ;-)

ST. LOUIS (Reuters) - Things have not been going all that well for Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich lately, even at one of his favorite places - the zoo.

Newt was nipped on the finger by a penguin during a private tour of the famous St. Louis zoo on Friday before he spoke to the National Rifle Association convention, zoo officials confirmed on Monday.

Gingrich, who is trailing in the Republican race for the White House and is under pressure to withdraw, passed unscathed through Big Cat Country and avoided contact with the crocodiles in the Herpetarium. But his visit took a turn when a Magellanic penguin pecked at the candidate's hand.

"He was nipped on the finger by a penguin," zoo public relations director Susan Gallagher said. "A Band-Aid took care of the injury."

Those gay penguins in New York probably put the contract out on him.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Yep, you are totally not overreacting to a 30 year old story of pet mistreatment.
Not at all.
Not one bit.

You know how you feel about economic justice and you're a communist and stuff? I'm like that, but with animals and the environment and civil rights. I'm a wild-eyed bleeding heart liberal, what do you expect? No injustice too small!

Chichikov

You know how you feel about economic justice and you're a communist and stuff? I'm like that, but with animals and the environment and civil rights. I'm a wild-eyed bleeding heart liberal, what do you expect? No injustice too small!
I can dig it.
I mean not the whole animal rights, please, don't get me started on that, but if you're consistent on this issue, I have no bone to pick with you.
But I do feel that there are people on the left who fake outrage on this the same way conservatives do with the war on Christmas.

Then you'll love this

So, he wouldn't do it again... because of the negative press and reaction he's received from it.
Mitt Romney is like a parody politician you'd see on The Simpsons or something. Everything he says just confirms the stereotype of politicians who are only concerned about their approval ratings, image, re-election campaign etc.

It's like he has no filter. I get that his campaign is trying to make his perceived weakness (his wealthiness) into a strength, but there's a major difference between being obscenely rich and being an out-of-touch weirdo.

This isn't just about Mitt being rich either. Obama is rich too, the only reason it doesn't affect him is because he takes a much different approach to it, by calling out income inequality and using himself as an example of how the scales are unfairly tipped in his favor. Romney appears to be blissfully unaware of his privilege, assuming that not worrying about money is the average American experience, and as a result his attempts to connect with the everyday American hilariously awkward and misguided.

Jackson50

This weekend starkly demonstrated that, despite pronouncements of a substantial deterioration in their power, the various insurgent groups operating in Afghanistan and Pakistan's tribal territories retain the capacity for significant attacks. In addition to Sunday's astonishingly sophisticated attack in Afghanistan, the Pakistani Taliban (TTP) perpetrated what is purportedly the largest jailbreak in Pakistani history. 384 inmates, many who were known militants, were freed in the audacious attack on a Pakistani jail. Mind you, the TTP are operationally distinct from the Afghan Taliban. Nevertheless, they cooperate and, in conjunction with other groups such as the Haqqani Network and Hezb-e-Islami, form a nexus of insurgent groups operating in the area.

As if it weren't already evident, the ability of the insurgents to operate in Pakistan outside the purview of ISAF forces only compounds the substantial impediments plaguing the war. This war is far from over, and it's not worth the investment.

It isn't a make or break thing for most people, but it certainly doesn't gather any empathy for him. If I knew someone in real life who did that I'd probably avoid them.

It's a better reason to avoid being friends with somebody than it is avoiding voting for them.

Jackson50

It's a better reason to avoid being friends with somebody than it is avoiding voting for them.
Is it that terrible to confine a dog to a carrier attached to the roof of a car for twelve hours during which it defecated on itself and the car? That sounds like hilarious family vacation hijinks.

Al-ibn Kermit

This weekend starkly demonstrated that, despite pronouncements of a substantial deterioration in their power, the various insurgent groups operating in Afghanistan and Pakistan's tribal territories retain the capacity for significant attacks. In addition to Sunday's astonishingly sophisticated attack in Afghanistan, the Pakistani Taliban (TTP) perpetrated what is purportedly the largest jailbreak in Pakistani history. 384 inmates, many who were known militants, were freed in the audacious attack on a Pakistani jail. Mind you, the TTP are operationally distinct from the Afghan Taliban. Nevertheless, they cooperate and, in conjunction with other groups such as the Haqqani Network and Hezb-e-Islami, form a nexus of insurgent groups operating in the area.

As if it weren't already evident, the ability of the insurgents to operate in Pakistan outside the purview of ISAF forces only compounds the substantial impediments plaguing the war. This war is far from over, and it's not worth the investment.

I'm not sure how pulling out sounds like a better option. The last time the US turned it's back on the region, we ended up with OBL. I'm not even saying that the US has to stay in Afghanistan forever. Just operate from bases in the region and launch strikes on new leaders of terror groups. Keep a presence and keep gathering intelligence. Don't leave it.

I don't call that a great option but obviously leaving them alone carries some great risk, and would be nearly impossible to pitch politically. Then again, any overt action taken against terror groups like Al-Qaeda does inspire new generations of recruits so it's a bad decision vs another bad decision.

Remember how Scott Walker cancelled the fully funded high speed rail project because he refused to pay the $750,000 state funding portion>

Again, thats $750,000 that was an outrageous use of tax monies.

----

Officials unveiled Thursday one of the most expensive highway projects in state history, but it is designed to do more than ease congestion.

The $715 million reconstruction and expansion of a 45-mile stretch of Interstate 39-90 between Madison and the Illinois state line will aid state tourism and help create more economic development along the corridor, one of the busiest stretches of highway in the state, officials say.

Read more: http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/lo...4c3-11e1-8c8d-0019bb2963f4.html#ixzz1sHXl23b2

But $750,000,000 is perfectly ok.

And the state is mostly on the hook

Unlike most major highway projects where the federal government can cover 80 to 90 percent of the work, the I-39-90 project will be 70 percent state funded and 30 percent federal, said John Vesperman, the Department of Transportation's project chief.

Ladies and gentlemen, your GOP.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Also, the dog didn't "shit himself", it just pooped, like dogs do.
Not going to wade into the rest of this shit but...

Dogs don't shit in their crate. Ever. They instinct bound to not want be physically enclosed with feces (would you?). They will hold it in until they a physically incapable of holding it in wether that is from being confined too long, being sick or being scared.

Part of the reason crate training as a form of house breaking is so effective.

Jackson50

I'm not sure how pulling out sounds like a better option. The last time the US turned it's back on the region, we ended up with OBL. I'm not even saying that the US has to stay in Afghanistan forever. Just operate from bases in the region and launch strikes on new leaders of terror groups. Keep a presence and keep gathering intelligence. Don't leave it.

I don't call that a great option but obviously leaving them alone carries some great risk, and would be nearly impossible to pitch politically. Then again, any overt action taken against terror groups like Al-Qaeda does inspire new generations of recruits so it's a bad decision vs another bad decision.
Foremost, it would save the U.S. a considerable sum of money. That's clearly the greatest benefit. We've injudiciously spent over $300 billion the past few years in Afghanistan. And the current cost estimate for this year is over $85 billion. For a state of marginal strategic import, we're dissipating a considerable amount of resources. And we have hardly benefited. The opportunity costs are great; that is, assuming the alternatives were prudent. Moreover, the evolution of al-Qa'ida is more involute than U.S. disengagement in the region. It's a bit disingenuous to suggest our withdrawal would produce a similar group. Admittedly, our withdrawal would probably benefit the insurgents and terror networks. But it's apparent our presence would be required for many years for concrete progress to actualize. Consequently, the risk does not justify the exorbitant costs. Nevertheless, I'd be receptive to a more limited counter-terrorism campaign, which I presume you are suggesting and Jon Huntsman advocates, if it permitted a substantial reduction in our engagement. Although, the permeable border with Pakistan which permits the various insurgent groups to largely function with impunity would neutralize the effectiveness of such a campaign. Still, it's preferable to current policy.

I wish they would ban polls this far out. I mean, not really, because that would be wrong, but I like the idea of it, anyway.

Polls mean nothing in April.

markatisu

Holy shit, wtf happened to Obama's lead over Romney?

His huge lead with independents has vanished... back in Romney territory in the eyes of Gallup. MEH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1dnqKGuezo

I really hope you are not taking one poll (and the Gallup poll) as some kind of total indicator

I think now that the primaries are over people should really adhere to what Nate Silver is saying

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytime...rd-general-election-season-begins/#more-30310

Basically the next few months are going to be a total mess poll wise as sample sizes are off, and pollsters shift between "likely" and "registered"

Holy shit, wtf happened to Obama's lead over Romney?

His huge lead with independents has vanished... back in Romney territory in the eyes of Gallup. MEH.
Seriously, man.

Jackson50 already covered this pretty thoroughly, but let me say that pulling out is simply a better option by virtue of the First Rule of Holes. Nothing we are doing there currently is materially advancing our interests, and it is costing us an exorbitant amount of money.

Looks like Romney campaign's new memo has just them spending a billion dollars on the campaign (includes RNC and the Romney SuperPAC)

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/...for-romney-campaign-and-republican-committee/

Roughly speaking they are hoping to raise between the Campaign + RNC + Super PAC + Victory Fund 100 million dollars +

What is interesting here is that 500 million dollars are from "high dollar" fundraisers:

The memo indicates that Mr. Romney’s top aides hope to collect a total of at least $500 million for the campaign and for the joint fund, known as Romney Victory, through a program for high-dollar donations.

Small Donations target is 300 million dollars.

This campaign is going to be Brutal, Nasty and going to feel extremely fucking long to all of us. Add to this the fact that Romney and his campaign lie casually all the time...

DasRaven

This campaign is going to be Brutal, Nasty and going to feel extremely fucking long to all of us. Add to this the fact that Romney and his campaign lie casually all the time...

Perhaps it will descend so far that people finally become completely disgusted with our campaign finance system.

In expectation of "Complete National Saturation," I've already dropped all political news/punditry from my daily reading/view except TDS & CR.
If it's a big enough story to warrant parody, then perhaps I'll care. Otherwise, I'll be watching the RCP and 538 EV poll trackers.

RDreamer

Remember how Scott Walker cancelled the fully funded high speed rail project because he refused to pay the $750,000 state funding portion>

----

Read more: http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/lo...4c3-11e1-8c8d-0019bb2963f4.html#ixzz1sHXl23b2

This pisses me off. I mean I don't mind road projects now, but to cut out a high speed rail project that, I believe, would have been insanely beneficial to the state because of costs (when those weren't actually that much) and then turn around and spend more... ugh.

Also, doing some research and it seems like the transportation advisor to Walker was Robert Poole of the Reason Foundation. The Reason Foundation apparently helped put a halt on some other Rail Projects around the country, most notably in Florida.

Effect

This is what pisses me off the most. Also that "journalist" refuse to actually use the word lie when describing Romney and his statements. It's completely obvious when it happens. His campaign aren't even trying to hid it. It's even worse that Obama and company also refuse to use the word lie. It's so easy to prove as well. I keep hoping when the generally election officially kicks off this will happen. Just show Romeny as the liar he is early and keep up the examples and all those attack ads from him will be worthless as people will already know he's lying in them and anyone backing him is lying as well.

RDreamer

I find it hilarious that with all money Romney has, he has the audacity to attack Obama on the millions of ads he'll use against him.

As Wisconsin has established, attacks like that actually somehow work (at least on a lot of the Republican base). In Wisconsin one of the big rallying cries for Walker has been his complaint about out of state money influencing the recall and all that... but he has half of his money coming from out of state. The problem is that the media doesn't report on these hypocrisies, usually. They'll just put up a video of the accusation or write about the accusation and leave it at that, and people expect that it's true (or even when it's true that it isn't complete hypocrisy)

jehuty

----

I wonder why Jsonline hasn't covered this story in Milwaukee. Republicans in the state will gladly defend this even though Walker says the state is broke and sacrifices had to be made. Seriously, people around the state are seriously getting fed up with Walker. His constant lying and deceiving has brought a recall upon him. I can only hope that the John doe investigation against some of his campaign operators points directly to him and he gets charged (he has already hired some top of the line defense lawyers for "legal counsel"). I still can't even quite understand how the hell he won the election in 2010. I know Eznark was all gun ho about him but anyone who lived in Milwaukee county knew what a disaster Walker would turn out to be.

RDreamer

I wonder why Jsonline hasn't covered this story in Milwaukee. Republicans in the state will gladly defend this even though Walker says the state is broke and sacrifices had to be made. Seriously, people around the state are seriously getting fed up with Walker. His constant lying and deceiving has brought a recall upon him. I can only hope that the John doe investigation against some of his campaign operators points directly to him and he gets charged (he has already hired some top of the line defense lawyers for "legal counsel"). I still can't even quite understand how the hell he won the election in 2010. I know Eznark was all gun ho about him but anyone who lived in Milwaukee county knew what a disaster Walker would turn out to be.

He won the election in 2010 because that was the year the tide turned toward the Republicans. From my view, Wisconsin is very much a torn state. You have staunch republicans everywhere, and you have some really really progressive pockets (Madison), but then the independents here are pretty much conservative democrats that are only really that way because they're union workers. On top of all that, Doyle was kind of a weenie that I think a lot of people never really liked, so the tide was already turning Republican in a way. And Barrett, while hindsight tells us is infinitely better than Walker, wasn't really that great of a candidate. He kind of bored me, and never really did that great in debates. Walker's a shitheal that I just want to punch when he talks, but I have to hand it to him, he knows how to garner support from where he needs it when he speaks.

Speaking of the recall, I've been following the guy who's on the primary ballot as a Republican, and he's a pretty cool guy. He was the one that videotaped Joel Kleefisch voting for absent members (a story that was pretty well covered back when it happened, I guess), and he was one of the more vocal protesters. He waited hours and hours to speak at the capital when some of the shit was hitting the fan, and he's also even traveled to Washington to speak on things. He's a very progressive guy who's running on the Republican ballot for many reasons. First of which is to try and make sure that Walker supporters have to actually vote for Walker in the primary instead of messing with the democratic primary. And, he's using it to highlight how far Republicans have come from their roots. He calls himself a Lincoln La Follette Republican.

I've been helping him a bit by making posters and campaign stuff. . I'm doing some designs for free for him. I figure it's a good way to get my foot in the door as far as design of politics go, and I really do see this guy making it somewhere at some point. He's not going to win now, but he's only 23 and has done a lot when it comes to Wisconsin politics. Don't be surprised to see Arthur Kohl-Riggs as a senator or Representative or Governor or something 10-15 years down the road.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
He won the election in 2010 because that was the year the tide turned toward the Republicans. From my view, Wisconsin is very much a torn state. You have staunch republicans everywhere, and you have some really really progressive pockets (Madison), but then the independents here are pretty much conservative democrats that are only really that way because they're union workers. On top of all that, Doyle was kind of a weenie that I think a lot of people never really liked, so the tide was already turning Republican in a way. And Barrett, while hindsight tells us is infinitely better than Walker, wasn't really that great of a candidate. He kind of bored me, and never really did that great in debates. Walker's a shitheal that I just want to punch when he talks, but I have to hand it to him, he knows how to garner support from where he needs it when he speaks.

Speaking of the recall, I've been following the guy who's on the primary ballot as a Republican, and he's a pretty cool guy. He was the one that videotaped Joel Kleefisch voting for absent members (a story that was pretty well covered back when it happened, I guess), and he was one of the more vocal protesters. He waited hours and hours to speak at the capital when some of the shit was hitting the fan, and he's also even traveled to Washington to speak on things. He's a very progressive guy who's running on the Republican ballot for many reasons. First of which is to try and make sure that Walker supporters have to actually vote for Walker in the primary instead of messing with the democratic primary. And, he's using it to highlight how far Republicans have come from their roots. He calls himself a Lincoln La Follette Republican.

I've been helping him a bit by making posters and campaign stuff. . I'm doing some designs for free for him. I figure it's a good way to get my foot in the door as far as design of politics go, and I really do see this guy making it somewhere at some point. He's not going to win now, but he's only 23 and has done a lot when it comes to Wisconsin politics. Don't be surprised to see Arthur Kohl-Riggs as a senator or Representative or Governor or something 10-15 years down the road.

The dude actually sounds pretty good. I need to look into him more.
I'd change your cursive font on that poster though, it makes it difficult to read the phrase "the real Republican"

That dude sounds great.

Pew: Obama Leads By 4, Candidates Split Voters Concerned About The Economy

A month ago, a national poll from Pew showed a 12-point lead for Obama, as the Republican primary process was still under way. But Romney’s numbers have improved as he’s moved toward securing the nomination. “As the GOP primary winds down, the party base is consolidating behind Mitt Romney,” Pew wrote in its analysis. “Nearly two-thirds (65%) of Republican and Republican-leaning voters now say that the party will unite solidly behind Romney as the nominee, up from 57% in February. This matches the 64% who said the party would unite behind McCain at a comparable point four years ago.”

Pew’s numbers show that concern over the economy will dominate the race. Among those who say “the economy” is their most important issue, Obama leads by 4 points. But among voters who say “jobs” are their chief concern (there is overlapping between the two groups) Romney bests Obama by a single point.

“The gender gap remains comparable to those in previous surveys during the current
campaign, as well as past election cycles,” Pew wrote. “Women favor Obama by a 53% to 40% margin; among men voters, 50% favor Romney, while 44% back Obama. Obama has lost ground among both men and women at about the same rate over the past month.”

The gender gap persists, but the concern for the Obama camp in recent polling is independent voters. Overall, Romney leads by 6 points among independents. Among just white independents, that gap grows to a 16-point Romney lead. And among independent women, Romney is up by 2 points.
http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...oncerned-about-the-economy.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

RDreamer

The dude actually sounds pretty good. I need to look into him more.
I'd change your cursive font on that poster though, it makes it difficult to read the phrase "the real Republican"

That dude sounds great.

His living platform is here on his Facebook page

As I said, he's not going to win anything right now, but the kid's got a lot of fire and spunk. Here his is literally calling bullshit on the redistricting. Here he is testifying on a mining bill. Here he is in Washington testifying agains the Keystone XL Project.

Also, his candidacy has pointed out some things already. Namely he was kind of portrayed negatively in the AP article about his name being on the ballet, and then it was found out that was because the writers of the AP article helped in getting him expelled from the Capitol Press Corps.

All in all, I'm just happy that the occupy movement and more specifically the protests in Madison now have some real political actions and candidates. This guy will be around in a bigger way in a few years, I'm telling you.

Diablos

Thank you, Rick Scott.
And Scott Walker. WI will be a lock for Dems.

Also, I suppose we can assume Romney finally being front and center with no distractions is going to give him a bump. The question if he can maintain that. Obama losing so much ground with Independents so quickly is definitely cause for concern, though.

RDreamer

Romney's latest Budget attack really must send Empty Vessel into a fit of rage.

Romney-Federal-Budget-Everyday.jpg

Here's Talking Points Memo's view on it

There's just so much wrong... Part of which is the fact that the family can't create its own money... another part of which is that most families do spent themselves into debt with buying a house or a car and having credit cards...

There's just so much wrong... Part of which is the fact that the family can't create its own money... another part of which is that most families do spent themselves into debt with buying a house or a car and having credit cards...

This comparing the government budget with a household budget is so awful for so many reasons (a few you mentioned). The problem is that it so many people buy into it.

zargle

Well obviously the family could use more income as well, so mom should probably stop being so lazy and get herself a job too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom