• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim-E

So, the Obama Bain Ad was only a 71k buy for a day. But it generated enough press for a week.

Yep, that's all they needed. It's been all over the news and people will likely be talking about it the rest of the week. I don't think Obama is done with Bain, either. The bit about tax payer-funded pensions for people laid off by Bain could be especially damaging. I'm guessing that the Obama camp is going to hold off on that ad until later this year. There's plenty of ammunition to keep the topic alive if they pace it properly.

Kosmo

Banned
Yep, that's all they needed. It's been all over the news and people will likely be talking about it the rest of the week. I don't think Obama is done with Bain, either. The bit about tax payer-funded pensions for people laid off by Bain could be especially damaging. I'm guessing that the Obama camp is going to hold off on that ad until later this year. There's plenty of ammunition to keep the topic alive if they pace it properly.

Right, because Bain cost the taxpayers. Meanwhile Obama flipped the UAW/GM a $30B check from taxpayer funds, a few billion to bundlers from Solyndra, and some other companies. I don't think he wants a debate about responsible use of taxpayer funds.

Solyndra seems like such a weird issue to me, as a business major.

The approach is the correct one. You don't pick winners; you flood the field and see which investment becomes a success. It's the VC way. Businesses also have hit-miss investments. This isn't a surprise, or bad, it's just how investments go. Not sure why the government is held to a higher standard.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I'd just like to reiterate that Debbie Wasserman Schultz is the most useless DNC Chair ever. She spends most of her time being on the teevee, and she's not even good at defending Democrats there EITHER.

You're just saying that because she is ugly and has a strange speech impediment. What a misogynist! :p

Tim-E

Right, because Bain cost the taxpayers. Meanwhile Obama flipped the UAW/GM a $30B check from taxpayer funds, a few billion to bundlers from Solyndra, and some other companies. I don't think he wants a debate about responsible use of taxpayer funds.

Considering the auto-bailout is considered to be one of the most successful things Obama accomplished in his term, I'm sure he'd be more than willing to talk about it.

Nobody outside of the lot of conservative talk radio listeners care about Solyndra anymore. It got absolutely no traction. But go ahead and keep playing that same tune over and over. It makes sense, considering all you do is essentially reiterate generic conservative talking points.

OMG at the Daily Show segment last night with the woman being interviewed about being fired based on sexual oritentation. I cannot fathom how people that dumb can be politicians.

Oh dear God:
When the time comes, I will again insist on my simple principle of cuts and reforms greater than the debt limit increase. This is the only avenue I see … to force the elected leadership of this country to solve our structural fiscal imbalance,” Boehner will say Tuesday at a fiscal summit sponsored by the Peter G. Peterson Foundation, according to prepared remarks.

Republicans: "Vote for us because you sure as hell don't want us to be in the minority."

ToxicAdam

Solyndra seems like such a weird issue to me, as a business major.

The approach is the correct one. You don't pick winners; you flood the field and see which investment becomes a success. It's the VC way. Businesses also have hit-miss investments. This isn't a surprise, or bad, it's just how investments go. Not sure why the government is held to a higher standard.

Because it's public money. Money that can be misappropriated to cronies or others that do not have solid business plans. With private VC, there is that risk involved where you can lose money if you make a poor decision. That isn't the case with the people making a decision about public funds, so that same kind of urgency to detail is not required.

All you need to look at is a similar program in Texas (which Rick Perry has been nailed on a few times) in how it can be a bad idea for public funds to be used as VC.

GhaleonEB

First decent bucket of economic data this month is in, and it's pretty solid.

Inflation is low and core inflation (less energy) flat.

Retail sales edged up, after a very strong March.

The Empire State Fed manufacturing survey came in well above expectations, jumping to 17 from 7 (above 0 signals growth). First manufacturing report to include data from May, so this is a good sign that April's slowdown may have been a blip.

Business inventories continued to build gradually, though below sales growth.

Housing market index hit the highest level since 2007.

After everything cratered in April I was worried things would continue. So far so good.

Kosmo

Banned
Because it's public money. Money that can be misappropriated to cronies or others that do not have solid business plans. With private VC, there is that least risk involved where you can lose money if you make a poor decision. That isn't the case with the people making a decision about public funds, so that same kind of urgency to detail is not required.

All you need to look at is a similar program in Texas (which Rick Perry has been nailed on a few times) in how it can be a bad idea for public funds to be used as VC.

The thing that boggles my mind is how big the paybacks are for political bundling. I thik the Solyndra guys bundled like $500K for Obama - then then get over 1000X that back in government loans, some of which they promptly banked as salary and bonuses.

Tim-E

The Empire State Fed manufacturing survey came in well above expectations, jumping to 17 from 7 (above 0 signals growth). First manufacturing report to include data from May, so this is a good sign that April's slowdown may have been a blip.

After everything cratered in April I was worried things would continue. So far so good.

+1

Jackson50

GhaleonEB said:
Retail sales is probably the most important indicator. The information is fairly transparent. There isn't much noise to cloud their meaning. And if they are improving despite April's hiccup, I feel pretty confident we'll avoid a situation comparable to last summer.
The only problem with this logic (and I think there is a good chance Obama gets re-elected) is that none of this "news" today makes any difference in the general election. There is shit that happened 3 months ago that people were talking about "Oh, this is a big problem" and people can't even remember what that is now.

Nothing that happens until August will have any real effect on the election (aside from Obama losing some of the black vote with this gay marriage pledge).
That will prove as accurate as your ineffable prophecies on DADT.

Good stuff. Hopefully it translates into good job numbers too!

I'll believe it when I see it : /

Chumly

The thing that boggles my mind is how big the paybacks are for political bundling. I thik the Solyndra guys bundled like $500K for Obama - then then get over 1000X that back in government loans, some of which they promptly banked as salary and bonuses.
500k is chump change compared to what the Koch brothers and other rich conservatives are giving politicians for favorable legislation. Your beating a dead horse here

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is the worst voting campaign since Vote Or Die
walker_recall_doing_it.JPG

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/...-are-doing-it-Recalling-Scott-Walker-that-is-

lol

Vote or Die was actually pretty dope though.

ToxicAdam

I don't think 'vote or die' and 'pretty dope' should be in the same sentence. Actually, no sentence uttered since 1992 should have 'pretty dope' in it.

RDreamer

Hahahah, what!?

With Wisconsin suffering the worst job loss numbers in the nation for the calendar year

2011, Governor Scott Walker promised yesterday that he will reveal newly revised numbers this week that will, effectively, change water into wine on the Wisconsin job front.

And he’s done it just in time for the June 5th recall election.

So, just how is Walker about to turn Wisconsin’s dismal job numbers from lemons to lemonade?

The Governor has simply decided to ignore the system used by the Department of Labor —and every other state in the nation —to measure job growth (or loss) and elected instead to go with a different set of numbers that makes things in Wisconsin look better.

Who knew it could be so easy to solve a jobs crisis?

With Wisconsin’s lagging job growth now driving voter sentiment as the state heads towards the June 5th election, Walker’s Chief Economist, John Koskinen, offered a presentation last week to Walker staff members and state economic officials wherein he made the case for an alternate system of measuring job creation—one that would be ‘unique’ to the Badger State.

Job numbers not looking good for you? Just use different numbers! Create another system! It's all good.

I'm sure the same tears flow for the energy executives that reap billions in tax breaks and other big donors with high incomes reap the rewards of their largesse.

Averon

Job numbers not looking good for you? Just use different numbers! Create another system! It's all good.

This is exactly what the GOP accused the Obama admin of when we had a string of +200k jobs reports earlier this year.

Another case of projection?

GhaleonEB

Actually, Obama started this with his "saved or created" malarkey.

He was talking about the monthly BLS employment situation reports. The GOP openly cast doubt on the integrity of the data because it was positive. I cannot recall another time when a political party has crossed that line, though I'm sure it's not without precident at some point.

RDreamer

Eww... one of my Facebook friends just shared an info graphic from Crossroads Generation. I was correct in my assumption that it was another Karl Rove superPAC. This one is trying to appeal to youth voters. It throws a whole bunch of stats on how this generation is pretty well fucked when it comes to schooling and jobs and stuff, and those assessments are pretty correct, but then just blanket says Obama/Obama's economy did it. It says "Obama has presided over the highest youth employment since the 1960s." Oh really? Mind telling me how he specifically did that? Try again Karl.

Fifty-six percent of of Americans say President Barack Obama will win re-election, the Gallup polling organization said Tuesday, drily calling that prediction "perhaps a slightly more optimistic assessment than is currently warranted."

Thirty-six percent say presumptive Republican nominee Mitt Romney will be the one taking the oath of office in January.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/...Rwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdAMEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Another useless poll but since y'all love them polls.

Al-ibn Kermit

Liberals are more confident that their candidate already has it in the bag, while conservatives fail to find anything inspiring about their "default" candidate.

Whoever wins the election will end up pissing off a lot of people who stayed home on Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom