• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allard

Very surprising to see that lead among Seniors. That would be a welcome sign.

I'd imagine it is largely due to the backlash over the initial Ryan Budget and how its still prevalent in today's politics. From my own anecdotal evidence that particular budget and its party line passing woke up several older family friends who normally vote or lean republican, they are still out raged by it to this day. Not that I expect that percentage to hold, I will be surprised if it stays in Obama's advantage on election day but that budget passing the house hurt the republican brand in more ways then they can probably contemplate, especially considering they are still trying to publicly pass it through the house.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Who do you think is more responsible for the country's current economic problems—Barack Obama or George W. Bush?

Bush: 49 (54)

Obama: 34 (29)
Both: 8 (9)

What do you think is the bigger problem in this country—unfairness in the economic system that favors the wealthy or over-regulation of the free market that interferes with growth and prosperity?

Unfairness: 56 (55)

Over-regulation: 34 (35)
Both: 5 (5)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/polls/postabcpoll_20120520.html

This just isn't Mittens day.

It's interesting that the media continues to put so much emphasis on national numbers, when the current EC situation/state polls suggests Obama could trounce Romney. And I say that as someone who truly believes Romney will win. Right now, Obama is ahead despite a shitty economy and the impending health care strike down. I expect the numbers to reverse shortly after the VP announcement/conventions but the media's current position is ridiculous.

It's interesting that the media continues to put so much emphasis on national numbers, when the current EC situation/state polls suggests Obama could trounce Romney. And I say that as someone who truly believes Romney will win. Right now, Obama is ahead despite a shitty economy and the impending health care strike down. I expect the numbers to reverse shortly after the VP announcement/conventions but the media's current position is ridiculous.

Because more national polls are conducted than State. And generally state polls will follow the national direction.

So Obama spending more than any President confirmed.

In other words, Obama administration like every single other presidential administration before him, except more conservative.

MKTU8.png

If you want a growing economy, you're going to have to get used to consistent increases in government spending. It's the only means by which more financial assets get injected into the private sector, dummy.

(I don't really mean to call you a dummy, I just liked the sound of it at the end of that sentence, aesthetically speaking.)

The private sector--which is always growing, if only because the population is always growing--uses financial assets (dollar bills, y'all) to transact business--to economy, if that were a verb. So if you want the private sector to economy more, it's going to need more dollar bills to do it with. Kinda like how in Monopoly money keeps getting injected into the game as the Monopoly economy grows.

Because more national polls are conducted than State. And generally state polls will follow the national direction.

And yet Obama is up by double digits in NM, Colorado, and Virginia, which is basically enough to win him the election. I see no following of national trends, I see demographics dominating state polls.

And yet Obama is up by double digits in NM, Colorado, and Virginia, which is basically enough to win him the election. I see no following of national trends, I see demographics dominating state polls.

Last VA Poll was May 2nd, Last CO Poll was April 1st week and I don't think NM is a swing state. While we see that the latest WI polls have race tightening a lot, currently making it a swing state (based on current polling).

Not saying that currently Obama's position statewide is good, just, State Polls always lag National polls badly. On top of that, National Polls margins take care of State issues, if Obama or Romney wins by 3-4 points, the states will follow suit.

Al-ibn Kermit

Romney...a White Republican, can't even beat Obama, a Black Democrat, among seniors!?!?!

ROFL! If things continue like this this will be a roflstomp of epic proportions.

I would think he'd win among whites in general before winning ong seniors. Unless a lot of gay seniors came out of the woodworks.

When you factor in voter enthusiasm and Romney's apparently hail mary electoral strategy, I don't see much of a path for him. People can say over the phone that they'd vote for Romney, but if they're not feeling it, they'll say fuck it on November 6th and stay home. Only bump I see is during the GOP convention
where Ron Paul will steal all the electoral votes

In other words, Obama administration like every single other presidential administration before him, except more conservative.

MKTU8.png

If you want a growing economy, you're going to have to get used to consistent increases in government spending. It's the only means by which more financial assets get injected into the private sector, dummy.

(I don't really mean to call you a dummy, I just liked the sound of it at the end of that sentence, aesthetically speaking.)

The private sector--which is always growing, if only because the population is always growing--uses financial assets (dollar bills, y'all) to transact business--to economy, if that were a verb. So if you want the private sector to economy more, it's going to need more dollar bills to do it with. Kinda like how in Monopoly money keeps getting injected into the game as the Monopoly economy grows.
Have you been drinking EV?
I don't think I've ever won a game of monopoly.

GhaleonEB

I'm always drinking. And I've never won--nor even finished--a game of Monopoly either.

I loved Monopoly as a kid; had a huge winning streak in our family game nights. Last year I tried to introduce it to my kids, and realized what a cruel game it really is. You don't just lose, you lose slowly, watching your fortunes crumble as you slip into powerlessness and the increasingly wealthy laugh it up. Great for life lessons but not exactly a good family time.

It's the only means by which more financial assets get injected into the private sector, dummy.

am i the only one that found this hilarious.

"i didn't mean to call your wife a bitch, dear sir, i just enjoyed saying the word to her in a derogatory manner."

When you factor in voter enthusiasm and Romney's apparently hail mary electoral strategy, I don't see much of a path for him. People can say over the phone that they'd vote for Romney, but if they're not feeling it, they'll say fuck it on November 6th and stay home. Only bump I see is during the GOP convention
where Ron Paul will steal all the electoral votes

Likewise, Obama voters are so confident he'll win that they won't vote.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I loved Monopoly as a kid; had a huge winning streak in our family game nights. Last year I tried to introduce it to my kids, and realized what a cruel game it really is. You don't just lose, you lose slowly, watching your fortunes crumble as you slip into powerlessness and the increasingly wealthy laugh it up. Great for life lessons but not exactly a good family time.

Yeah, its like Dota like that

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, you have to grind away in abject poverty as you lose, and if you complain and try to quit the game the players with all the money say you are a whiny poor sport. :/

*always hated monopoly*

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Always loved Monopoly. To this day, I am sour when I think that they switched the colors of Mediterranean and Baltic, as well as changing the Luxury Tax spot.

I refuse to play the new one or the new rules.

Top Hat Forever!

People hated playing with me because I knew the exact value of every property on the board, with improvements, and the mortgage price, etc and I would already be handing them cards or money depending on their needs before they even knew what was supposed to be happening.

Mike M

Nick N
I hate Monopoly with a furious burning passion. I don't even love my family as much as I hate Monopoly.

That said, the Monopoly card game is actually pretty fun.

I'd say the reason the media plays up the national samples is because a close election will get good ratings.

Even a 4 point margin like in NBC's new poll would still give him over 300 EVs though.

PhoenixDark said:
Has this ever been a thing?

Like, I remember people saying this happened in Clinton's re-election (where turnout was so low because Democrats were confident that he would win) and he still won by 9 points.

Yep. We prefer facts over pathetic spin.

Noticed this wasn't highlighted:

It's probably wrong though. Let's say Obama could get exactly what he wanted in year 1, as represented by his initial budget request (3.6 trillion) That would represent a 2.2% annualized gain. If he got that every year, he'd still be the most frugal president in 30 years.

starmud

Last VA Poll was May 2nd, Last CO Poll was April 1st week and I don't think NM is a swing state. While we see that the latest WI polls have race tightening a lot, currently making it a swing state (based on current polling).

Not saying that currently Obama's position statewide is good, just, State Polls always lag National polls badly. On top of that, National Polls margins take care of State issues, if Obama or Romney wins by 3-4 points, the states will follow suit.

little too early to say and debating the status of a state now is a little too early. were all running on preconceived ideas of what the map will end up being (see: tennessee polling lol).

the last WI poll which had them tied supposedly polled likely recall voters. the fact they tied given the audience, would be positive news for obama... especially given how things are looking for the WI gov.

as for presidential elections and national polls, they can be an outlier of general feelings... fodder for media. state to state can range wildly. in the end, state polling is usually a pretty accurate measurement of pre and post vote. whos on a up/down swing. trying to debate national presidential tracking numbers is... maddening :p

markatisu

Not with the advent of mail in voting, Obama's people practically came to my house to explain how to do an absentee ballot to make sure my vote was in. I doubt 2012 will be any different with the stakes much higher

Kevitivity

lol congress am dumb:

http://dailykos.com/story/2012/05/2...-shows-Congress-talking-less-good-than-before

Rand Paul speaks at an 8th grade level, which I actually find quite impressive considering he's one of the dumbest politicians alive.

It's hard to graduate a prestigious medical school and become a practicing doctor when you're one of the dumbest politicians alive.

And honestly, linking to dailykos (or thinkprogress) would be like me linking to FOXnews. If you're interested in objective political criticism, kos is not the place to go.

Al-ibn Kermit

The trick to Monopoly is to try to go into jail and stay there once most of the board has been bought up. After all the properties are bought up and people are trading to make monopolies, every roll just bleeds your cash away.

When you think about it, it's really just a "free" hotel. There must be some socioeconomic message in that.

It's hard to graduate a prestigious medical school and become a practicing doctor when you're one of the dumbest politicians alive.

And honestly, linking to dailykos (or thinkprogress) would be like me linking to FOXnews. If you're interested in objective political criticism, kos is not the place to go.

Medicine and politics share no skills though. I've known a lot of people who are brilliant at science but have no clue about law/politics.

Chichikov

The trick to Monopoly is to try to go into jail and stay there once most of the board has been bought up. After all the properties are bought up and people are trading to make monopolies, every roll just bleeds your cash away.

When you think about it, it's really just a "free" hotel. There must be some socioeconomic message in that.
No, when you really think about it you realize that there's no try in this game, you roll the dice and that's that.
And that's the point that you also realize that you probably should be doing something better with your time.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
And I've never won--nor even finished--a game of Monopoly either.
Everyone quits when you keep insisting that the money that they collect when landing on Free Parking was actually new capital created by the government, and that the very idea that it needed to be "funded" by Chance and Community Chest payments is simply the result of society's current construction of the rules.

:p

Kevitivity

MKTU8.png

That's not true at all, empty vessel. The private sector creates (and loses) financial assets all the time without the need for government to inject (or take away) anything. For example Facebook this week raised $16 billion in it's IPO at ~ $30/share. That share price could skyrocket like Apple's or Google's (both over $500), creating many more billions. All the government has to do is make sure everyone plays by the book.

It sounds like you're confusing the number of physical (numismatic) money in circulation with the size if the economy as a whole.

Can you clarify two points? Are you saying the only way to grow GDP is through government spending? Second, how does government debt factor into your equation?

Kevitivity

Medicine and politics share no skills though. I've known a lot of people who are brilliant at science but have no clue about law/politics.

I would agree that being a great doctor doesn't mean one would also be a great politician, but both have to be good problem solvers, good diplomats (bed side manners), willing to try new tactics when the current path doesn't work, etc.

Kevitivity

Where do you suppose that $16 B came from?

You missed the point about share price. Lets say (this is all hypothetically - I don't know actual stock prices) FB stock doubles from $30 to $60 per share tomorrow on word of some innovation the company is scheduled to announce next week. That $16 billion IPO becomes $32 billion overnight. Where do you think that additional $16 billion came from. Hint:
Not the government.

Al-ibn Kermit

I would agree that being a great doctor doesn't mean one would also be a great politician, but both have to be good problem solvers, good diplomats (bed side manners), willing to try new tactics when the current path doesn't work, etc.

Those apply to any job. You can actually have all those skills and still be very bad at either medicine or politics, or anything really.

We're talking about the guy who said "Call me cynical, but I didn't think Obama's opinion on marriage could get any gayer."

He's at the very least not a great diplomat.

You missed the point about share price. Lets say (this is all hypothetically - I don't know actual stock prices) FB stock doubles from $30 to $60 per share tomorrow on word of some innovation the company is scheduled to announce next week. That $16 billion IPO becomes $32 billion overnight. Where do you think that additional $16 billion came from. Hint:
Not the government.

If you're trying to imply it came from investors, where did said investors get their money?

Why is the $16 billion able to double to $32 billion? Why are there $32,000,000,000 United States Dollars floating around in the first place?

lj167

Not the government.

Let's say I have a cat, and someone offers me $30 for it, and then tomorrow on word that the cat can change the color of its fur, someone offers me $60 for it. Did I create $30?

Diablos

There are regions of PA that are becoming more Republican, but the urban areas are becoming more Democratic, so as far as demographics go it's kind of a wash. Same with Ohio, though it's slightly more Republican than the US in general.
Yes, western PA (where I reside) isn't quite a Democratic as it used to be, and it doesn't look to be getting any better unless you are a GOPer. Central PA and especially Eastern PA are heavily populated and thankfully can offset that.

Blame it on an aging population, or a lot of white Catholic Democrats who wanted Hillary but wouldn't dare vote in a black guy.

Kevitivity

It came from the same place the first $16 B came from...

Where do you think it came from?

In the hypothetical above, where a stock doubles in value overnight on word of an upcoming innovation, the market is creating the wealth.

When you own stock, and it doubles in price overnight (as in the hypothetical above) you are not required to pay more to your investment firm to make up for the difference. Your initial investment doubles in value simply based what the market thinks FB is worth.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Racist Republican scumbag calls African American, Cory Booker "Boy".

This one's for you, PD. ;)

Didn't he create his own medical degree or something? I remember he did something that was an eyebrow raiser, regarding his profession.

In the hypothetical above, where a stock doubles in value overnight on word of an upcoming innovation, the market is creating the wealth.

When you own stock, and it doubles in price overnight (as in the hypothetical above) you are not required to pay more to your investment firm to make up for the difference. Your initial investment doubles in value simply based what the market thinks FB is worth.

If the investors all sold at once, could they all get that value for it?

The value of stock is relative to the funds people are willing to spend on that stock. Funds previously created by governments.

In your example, the market isn't conjuring $16 billion out of thin air. The total value of a stock is estimated based on the amount of funds people are willing to spend on a single share of that stock in that moment in time. Funds coming from elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom