• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet with all that money and support against him, McCain still received 46% of the vote. Even with a bad VP pick. Money at this level of the game will not be as big an issue as people make it out to be.
I call it the Whitman effect. There's a saturation level between favorability to total money spent in ads, where after one point no matter how much money you pump in ads, your favorables cease to go up.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
In a way I'm still amazed that political ads (particularly attack ads) actually work. Like, I can't think of a single one for any candidate at any level of government that made me go, "Hmmm..."

Clevinger

Yet with all that money and support against him, McCain still received 46% of the vote. Even with a bad VP pick. Money at this level of the game will not be as big an issue as people make it out to be.

A bad economy trumps money. Only this time Obama will have a bad economy + tons of money against him; the worst of both worlds.

Here's the (not so) awesome part despite your insight: When Europe crashes and Wall Street shits their pants and we go through another dip, no one will give a damn and vote for Romney/feel demoralized and sit it out.

I really think that's what's gonna happen.

Don't forget about PAC money.

I think out of all those states PA, OR, and maybe WI are the only ones that would survive in a Romney "landslide" and we have to start realizing that's entirely possible.

Truly, this year will be unlike any other. I know they say that every year and in different ways, but we've never witnessed the effect of powerful and anonymous donors collectively representing $1b+ worth of money dumped into a Republican campaign. Ever. We know how awful the reality of it is, and what the implications may be, but we haven't fully lived through it yet and won't until this election is done with. History won't help us here.

You're right that many states will flip if the economy crashes, but as of right now Virginia and Iowa are doing well, and Ohio is recovering. All three states lean to Obama right now, some (Virginia) more than others (Ohio).

If Europe goes down hard, it's game over here - I think most people agree with that. I tend to think the countries will address their issues but the longstanding uncertainty and lowered demand will fuck us with continued stagnated growth.

kehs

Banned
I just had a very odd exchange with some family friends over the next elections, these are people who voted for -bo the first time around, and they have somehow fallen into the whole doom and gloom being presented with fox news.

I'm baffled. Never even a million years did I think the words coming out of their mouths would come out of their months.

After their intentional twitter stunt, and the mounting money bags, I'm starting to think Romney might come out on top as well. cray cray.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
When do the job number revisions occur?
I'm curious if the speculation about miscalculations with seasonal adjustments were right...

Diablos

A bad economy trumps money. Only this time Obama will have a bad economy + tons of money against him; the worst of both worlds.
Exactly. PAC Money out the ass + Slow recovery + Eurozone is a trifecta of bad fucking news for Dems no matter how you spin it.

You're right that many states will flip if the economy crashes, but as of right now Virginia and Iowa are doing well, and Ohio is recovering. All three states lean to Obama right now, some (Virginia) more than others (Ohio).

If Europe goes down hard, it's game over here - I think most people agree with that. I tend to think the countries will address their issues but the longstanding uncertainty and lowered demand will fuck us with continued stagnated growth.
If? Everyone's pretty sure it will. Hopefully it'll crash after the election sometime. I know that sounds like an insensitive thing to say, but goddam, we have no control.

A state that "leans" in uncertain times doesn't mean a damn thing if you are the sitting Pres and the economy tanks on your watch again.

I just had a very odd exchange with some family friends over the next elections, these are people who voted for -bo the first time around, and they have somehow fallen into the whole doom and gloom being presented with fox news.

I'm baffled. Never even a million years did I think the words coming out of their mouths would come out of their months.

After their intentional twitter stunt, and the mounting money bags, I'm starting to think Romney might come out on top as well. cray cray.
The state of American media is sad. Your family members fell victim to feeling like crap in uncertain times and letting propaganda machines pull at their heart strings.

Drakeon

Part of me wants Romney to win if Europe is going to be fucked either way, just so the republicans end up taking the blame for the economy getting fucking destroyed. The other part of me doesn't want them in power at all for any length of time, because oh god, how much can they undo in 2 years of power? Probably a lot :( (and the fact that they might get to nominate more supreme court justices really is the main reason I want Obama to win, this court we have now proves more than ever how partisan they've gotten and the last thing we need is another young super conservative justice on the bench).

Diablos

Eh, well, the recovery is still in effect but at a much slower pace than anticipated. Logic would dictate that if Mittens enters office, by the end of his first term UE will sink below to what it was when Barack entered office, thus allowing him to take credit for saving the economy when he didn't do a god damn thing except cut more taxes for the rich.

eznark

Banned
Part of me wants Romney to win if Europe is going to be fucked either way, just so the republicans end up taking the blame for the economy getting fucking destroyed. The other part of me doesn't want them in power at all for any length of time, because oh god, how much can they undo in 2 years of power? Probably a lot :( (and the fact that they might get to nominate more supreme court justices really is the main reason I want Obama to win, this court we have now proves more than ever how partisan they've gotten and the last thing we need is another young super conservative justice on the bench).

I don't know if you can really bitch about SC partisanship in one breath then hope your guy wins so he can put your kind of partisan on the Court. I mean, you can, but c'mon.

Diablos

I don't know if you can really bitch about SC partisanship in one breath then hope your guy wins so he can put your kind of partisan on the Court. I mean, you can, but c'mon.
uh

Have you seen the decisions by the court lately? Why would you want more people like that representing the SCOTUS?

He has every right to whine about that. To me it's one of the most vital reasons why Obama must be re-elected. Dubya left office being universally hated but his SCOTUS choices sure have fucked us for the long term, haven't they?

eznark

Banned
uh

Have you seen the decisions by the court lately? Why would you want more people like that representing the SCOTUS?

He has every right to whine about that. To me it's one of the most vital reasons why Obama must be re-elected. Dubya left office being universally hated but his SCOTUS appointments sure have fucked us for the long term, haven't they?

So whine about the thing that actually bothers you, that they are partisan for the other side. You guys don't want an apolitical Court, you want a Court that will root for your team.

And yeah, there are a fuckload of decisions the past three courts have made that I strongly disagree with. But putting more leftists on sure won't solve anything.

Diablos

If there were two "leftists" sitting in the place of Roberts and Alito a lot of things would be different today

And this is just the beginning. So I totally disagree.

eznark

Banned
If there were two "leftists" sitting in the place of Roberts and Alito a lot of things would be different today

And this is just the beginning. So I totally disagree.

Right, and that makes my point. You don't want the court to be less partisan, you just want it to be your flavor of partisan.

Right, and that makes my point. You don't want the court to be less partisan, you just want it to be your flavor of partisan.

this court is the most blatantly partisan and activist court in very many years. i don't see how anyone can really disagree with that. the court has been throwing out precedent, re-writing case law, and overturning democratically passed statutes as it sees fit, and the only consistency is that the decisions are in line with the republican party platform.

if there were two sane judges on the court instead of roberts and alito, it wouldn't necessarily be partisan in the other direction. it just wouldn't be as blatantly pro-republican (not conservative, republican) as it is today.

it is really a shame and i fully believe that history will look upon this period of the SCOTUS with disgust.

eznark

Banned
this court is the most blatantly partisan and activist court in very many years. i don't see how anyone can really disagree with that. the court has been throwing out precedent and re-writing case law as it sees fit.

I can't remember the last time I heard someone seriously argue anything different.

First off, everyone seems to be making too general of a statement. "The Euro is going to implode man and take us down with it." The first thing wrong with this is that it is automatically assumed that the Euro is a done deal. That nothing is going to reverse it. Hell, Intrage is only giving 40% odds to someone dropping out of the Euro by the end of the year (This could be Greece and the other nations have had three years to prepare for its exit). You also give up on Germany finding a solution. Let me put this into poker terms. Germany is pot committed. It has already given a ton of money to the Euro project. It wants it to succeed. It has received tons of concessions from other nations regarding budgets. Why would it fold now? It's going to double down, and keep kicking the can down the road like the last three years.

Second, you have to realize that the European Union has been in a recession since the start of the year, and we are still here. That means our exposure to the zone is minimal. Our trade with the European Union comes to 184 billion dollars. That's less than what we send to Mexico. Also, our banks don't hold that many European assets or liabilities. So if the situation gets worse, and then saying that America is automatically screwed is dumb. Only the companies that deal primarily with Europe would be hurt (like 20-30% of their sales come from there). That would be Ford and some tech companies.

This wouldn't be like the 2008 recession. There won't be a financial crisis where we have to recapitalize the banks. Only a small segment of our 14.6 trillion economy will be hurt. Our unemployment rate is not going to suddenly spike to over 10%. We are near the bottom of the curve from the last recession. There isn't any more room to fall lower. Everything is already running with the bare minimum of employees as it is. For those saying America is doomed, how much are we doomed?

Lastly, these statements exist in a vacuum. Euro implodes and the US does nothing? The Fed doesn't do a round of QE3 or GDP targeting? China doesn't do anything? We just take it on the chin? Nothing is a foregone conclusion.

SCOTUS shouldn't be partisan, but it is.

For what it's worth, the four "left" judges are centrist at best. If we had nine of them I think we'd be much better off.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1. Pangloss is right. Though QE3 won't save the world if Europe implodes, nor will China.

2. The SCOTUS nonsense: the whole point of lifetime appointments is to ensure the justices were above petty political arguments of the day, and that they could make tough decisions without fear of losing their appointment. While the court has always been somewhat partisan, it's not true that this court is no different than all those that came before. It's obviously different and Americans have every right to fear their decisions.

GhaleonEB

Don't revisions occur every month? Confused.

With the monthly employment situation report, the BLS revises the previous two months based on additional data received since the last report.

At the end of each year the BLS adjusts their model for the prior year, including their seasonal adjustments and population growth assumptions, based on a look at the data for the year, such as from the Census.

IIRC, revisions to 2011 showed a few hundred thousand more jobs than originally estimated. During the recession, job losses were revised up each year.

See here, from January's release.

1) Annual Benchmark revision to the Establishment Survey Data

With the release of January 2011 data on February 4, 2011, the Current Employment Statistics survey will introduce revisions to nonfarm payroll employment, hours, and earnings data to reflect the annual benchmark adjustments for March 2010 and updated seasonal adjustment factors. Not seasonally adjusted data beginning with April 2009 and seasonally adjusted data beginning with January 2006 are subject to revision.

2) Birth/death adjustment factors will be estimated on a quarterly basis

Effective with the release of January 2011 data on February 4, 2011, the establishment survey will begin estimating net business birth/death adjustment factors on a quarterly basis, replacing the current practice of estimating the factors annually. This will allow the establishment survey to incorporate information from the Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages into the birth/death adjustment factors as soon as it becomes available and thereby improve the factors. Additional information on this change is available at www.bls.gov/ces/ces_quarterly_birthdeath.pdf.

3) Changes in Population Controls for Household Survey

Effective with the release of data for January 2011 on February 4, 2011, revisions will be introduced into the population controls for the household survey. These changes reflect the routine annual updating of intercensal population estimates by the U.S. Census Bureau.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
"Partisan" tends to refer to political parties, which doesn't really apply in the Supreme Court as much as ideology. "Ideologue" would be more appropriate, I think.

But sure, keep decrying how middle of the road types contrast too much with hardliners on the bench. It's bad enough that the swing vote is already conservative.

the thing is, i don't really think they are ideologues as much as they are republicans. decisions like bush v. gore would seem to go against everything they normally stand for - it was an extension of equal protection laws to an area beyond what the 14th amendment contemplated (counting ballots) which conservatives have been battling forever. moreover, there were a billion things the court could have done other than halting the recount to correct the EP protection.

BUT the court was totally willing to do this to get a republican president elected and get some more of their buddies on the court with them.

it is just blatantly partisan, it's not even about ideology.

eznark

Banned
"Partisan" tends to refer to political parties, which doesn't really apply in the Supreme Court as much as ideology. "Ideologue" would be more appropriate, I think.

But sure, keep decrying how middle of the road types contrast too much with hardliners on the bench. It's bad enough that the swing vote is already conservative.

Semantics aside I don't disagree. My point is that people don't want non-activist judges, they just want judges who will side with them. The idea that anyone other than Kennedy is a non-ideologue on this court is laughable. This court is only "worse" because the decisions are essentially coming down to one person which makes the contrast more striking.

If Obama appoints a non-hard liner people will go nuts. If he does appoint an ideologue of your stripe, people will claim that justice is a "moderate."

Measley

Except the economy is most swing states isn't bad. Its actually improving pretty rapidly. The UE rate in Virigina for example is 5.6%. Obviously some states like NC and Florida are having serious UE issues, but Obama only needs Ohio, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Colorado to win, and all of those have UE rates below 8%.

Kosmo

Banned
the thing is, i don't really think they are ideologues as much as they are republicans. decisions like bush v. gore would seem to go against everything they normally stand for - it was an extension of equal protection laws to an area beyond what the 14th amendment contemplated (counting ballots) which conservatives have been battling forever. moreover, there were a billion things the court could have done other than halting the recount to correct the EP protection.

BUT the court was totally willing to do this to get a republican president elected and get some more of their buddies on the court with them.

it is just blatantly partisan, it's not even about ideology.

By analyses of the recounts, Bush would have won Florida. What's your point?

Dude Abides

Banned
Semantics aside I don't disagree. My point is that people don't want non-activist judges, they just want judges who will side with them. The idea that anyone other than Kennedy is a non-ideologue on this court is laughable. This court is only "worse" because the decisions are essentially coming down to one person which makes the contrast more striking.

If Obama appoints a non-hard liner people will go nuts. If he does appoint an ideologue of your stripe, people will claim that justice is a "moderate."

Not really. There is no Brennan or Douglas on this court. There is no left counterpart to the hard-core ideologues Scalia, Thomas, or Alito.

Gruco

Banned
The results of the recount were highly dependent on the exact standards and form the recount undertook, and there are multiple scenarios in which Gore or Bush each could have won. What's important is that the exact outcome to standard map was not obvious ex-ante, so by preventing the recount from taking place the Supreme Court prevented a non-trivial risk of Gore winning the election.

Aside, stuff like this is why I think its more appropriate to call the court partisan rather than ideological.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

The judges knew that at the time of their ruling? Really? It's not about how the outcome would have necessarily changed, it's the fact that they were protecting their parties interests.. just in case.

Chichikov

You can't be thinking like that.
I know many politicians are rooting for the country to fail so their party can win, but at least they have massive financial incentive to think like that (and that's a huge part of the problem).
The only way we can counter those hyper-partisanship incentives is if the electorate speaks in a clear and loud voice that this is not acceptable, I know it hasn't done it so far, but seriously, it has to start with you.

Also, from a practical level, general election don't matter as much as you think.

Yeah, yeah, I know, everyone thinks about 2000, and true, it's the big one, because you can draw simple line from that election to the Iraq war.
But this is more an exception to the rule.

You really think that Kerry would've stoppped the financial meltdown or react differently to it?
How different would you think this country would be?

Again, this is not to say that election don't matter, I'm saying exactly 2 things here -
That it's better to have a good Republican president than a bad Democrat (and vice versa for you conservatives) and that regardless of party affiliation, we should be working together to govern this country.

Piecake

Again, this is not to say that election don't matter, I'm saying exactly 2 things here -
That it's better to have a good Republican president than a bad Democrat (and vice versa for you conservatives) and that regardless of party affiliation, we should be working together to govern this country.

Id like to see how California is doing primaries be implemented in all of the states. I think that would be a rather simple and hopefully somewhat effective way in getting more moderates who are willing to work together into congress. I mean, i imagine in a republican dominated district that a teaparty mouth breather going up against a moderate republican that appeals to, well, everyone else would fair a lot worse in a general election than the republican primary

SCOTUS shouldn't be partisan, but it is.

For what it's worth, the four "left" judges are centrist at best. If we had nine of them I think we'd be much better off.

Friendship with Scalia aside, Ruth Bader Ginsberg is not a centrist.

Definitely someone who is a progressive in every sense of the term, even if she doesn't always take the boldest path to express it.

Diablos

Definitely someone who is a progressive in every sense of the term, even if she doesn't always take the boldest path to express it.
So we have one "European Liberal" on the Court and the rest are centrists or insane.

Like that'll do anything.

Measley

Gallup has unemployment at 7.9%. First time since they started tracking it in 2010.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/125639/Gallup-Daily-Workforce.aspx

Interesting that this hasn't shown up in the mainstream media. When it was at 9% (higher than the UE rate from the BLS), it was all over the news;

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2012/feb/14/picket-gallup-shows-us-unemployment-9/

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/gallup-finds-unemployment-climbing-nine-percent-february

http://nation.foxnews.com/unemploym...l-unemployment-climbing-nine-percent-february

So much for the liberal biased media...

Chichikov

Wow. That bloomberg snippet was jaw-dropping. A guy who graduated Ivy League and worked in Microsoft gets his H1b rejected? Fuck illegal immigration. We need to fix legal immigration first.
I've been shouting it from rooftops.
Immigration can fix pretty much all of America's problem.

Need school teachers?
Say that if you have a PHD in whatever, speak fluent English, have a family and no criminal record we'll get you citizenship if you sign a 5 years contract for teaching in an inner city school.
You'll have a million overqualified candidates lining up Ellis Island tomorrow.

The US is in the unique position to do auditions for the world's best and brightest, but instead, it does a fucking lottery.

It's ridiculous.

And yeah, my opinion was shaped in large part when I went through that system.
On a national level (as oppose to the humanitarian one) legal immigration is a much larger problem than illegal one.

Edit: and immigration is the best way to keep the population young when your birthrate slows down, which is why demographically, the US is still in the best long term shape of all developed and BRIC countries.

Tamanon

Banned
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/romney-adviser-criticizes-obama-in-german-paper-op

An top economic adviser to Mitt Romney criticized President Obama’s approach toward Europe’s economic woes, calling his solutions “misleading” in an op-ed in a German newspaper Saturday, reports the New York Times. The Obama campaign rebuked the article, written by Columbia Business School dean R. Glenn Hubbard.

In the piece, Hubbard pushes for an austerity agenda of cutting government spending, which Mitt Romney supports, as well as opposition to propping up struggling European nations and banks, which the Obama administration has advocated.

From the Times:

“Long-term confidence in solid government financing shores up growth and enables the same scope for short-term transitional assistance,” he said. “Mitt Romney, Obama’s Republican opponent, understands this very well and advises a gradual fiscal consolidation for the U.S.: structural reform to stimulate growth.”

…

“President Obama’s advice to the Germans and Europe has therefore the same flaws as his own economic policy — that it pays for itself over the long term if we focus on short-term business promotion.”

Pretty sleazy to be dropping op-eds in foreign countries.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytime...t-may-be-most-conservative-in-modern-history/

fivethirtyeight-0329-scotus1-blog480.png

The most liberal justice is smack dab in the center. Ginsberg is progressive in a relative sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom