• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlagev

OK, just putting this out there, not freaking out yet, but I want to address this possibility.

My main reason for voting for Obama is the ACA. Since Romney has stated that the first thing he'll do is repeal it if he does get elected, my question is, if the Dems hold the Senate and even take the House, can he even do that? How much can he do without Senate or (hopefully) House cooperation?

OK, just putting this out there, not freaking out yet, but I want to address this possibility.

My main reason for voting for Obama is the ACA. Since Romney has stated that the first thing he'll do is repeal it if he does get elected, my question is, if the Dems hold the Senate and even take the House, can he even do that? How much can he do without Senate or (hopefully) House cooperation?

He can easily starve funds for implementation of ACA.

Tim-E

If the senate holds and Romney won, there's not much he could do to repeal it.

Cloudy

Banned

If Romney wins, the GOP will have a Senate majority as well.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

I don't think Romney can actually repeal it, but he can do a lot to gut it.

Jackson50

This reminds of of the stuff McCain did with ads, and Romney did for most of his campaign too: take some minor distraction, overblow it, and cut an ad hoping it sticks.
All campaigns exaggerate minor distractions. It's a hallmark of the political process. But what's worse is when people exaggerate the importance of a meaningless ad. The Big Bird ad reveals nothing other than some are looking to fit events to their predetermined narrative.

Minnesota is slowly turning into Vermont.
And that's a good thing! :) We need more Vermonts.

He can't really do anything, but I withstanding that post-election pressure to repeal it would be hard.

Averon

Freaking out over a Big Bird ad. Jeez. You all are acting like Obama is basing the rest of his campaign on Big Bird. Again, Dems cannot handle adversity at all. Their immediate reaction is to panic and fold. It's no wonder why this party gets its ass kicked more often than not by the GOP.

Freaking out over a Big Bird ad. Jeez. You all are acting like Obama is basing the rest of his campaign on Big Bird. Again, Dems cannot handle adversity at all. Their immediate reaction is to panic and fold. It's no wonder why this party gets its ass kicked more often than not by the GOP.

once upon a time this wasn't the case

and then vietnam happened

Cloudy

Banned
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Ohio election chief to appeal decision that reinstates 3 early voting days to US Supreme Court.

At what point will the national media shame this guy (and the entire GOP) into dropping this bullshit?

ToxicAdam

Meanwhile Romney continues to trump jobs over environment:

oiljobs.jpg

Obama's EPA has the power to mitigate CO2 in America (per the Supreme Court) and have sat on their hands. Them coming out against a small sub-section of the coal industry was just window dressing.

Global warming is the single biggest issue facing us today. Left wing, right wing, chicken wing, nature doesn't give a shit. It's going to come for us all.

Dismissing global warming is like stating that 9/11 was an inside job. You're a crank for having that opinion.

A shame the voters decide what the biggest issue is. Which is why global warming was a conspicuosly missing topic during the DNC convention. Quite a change from 4 years ago.

So, I guess the Democrat party's current agenda of neglecting global warming concerns could be considered stating that 9/11 was an inside job. By why stop there? Like denying the Holocaust happened.

Tim-E

Yep, this party's base sucks. Even when we get the rare oppertunity to put a democrats in office, they complain the entire time about how they aren't liberal enough (see: whining about the ARA and ACA), damn pragmatism and practicality.

So, I guess the Democrat party's current agenda of neglecting global warming concerns could be considered stating that 9/11 was an inside job. By why stop there? Like denying the Holocaust happened.

So are you saying the Democratic party believes Global Warming is a hoax? Are you saying that Romney isn't going to tilt the manufacturing vs. environment balance even further in favor of manufacturing than where it is now? He even said that directly during the debate - we aren't doing enough to "exploit" our resources. He criticized funding for green energy initiatives.

Are you saying that the EPA hasn't upgraded fuel efficiency standards?

Yep, this party's base sucks. Even when we get the rare oppertunity to put a democrats in office, they complain the entire time about how they aren't liberal enough (see: whining about the ARA and ACA), damn pragmatism and practicality.

Exactly. If Libs who voted for Obama in '08 think he's a failure, in the context of the crisis he inherited, then they honestly couldn't have been serious about real change in the first place.

ToxicAdam

I'm saying their actions over a four year period have demonstrated that they do not believe it's the most pressing issue today. You inferred that denying that is like being a 9/11 truther.

You also claimed that Romney puts jobs over the enviroment, yet Obama's adminstration intentionally derailed the Kerry energy bill because of the shaky economy in 2010. Instead focusing on getting HCR done and a possible second round of stimulus.

Cloudy

Banned
Gallup 49-47 R LV
Gallup 49-46 O RV

Obama Approval at 53 though so once it seems Romney's bounce is short-lived in their 3-day sample

Tom_Cody

The fact that Romney is talking about cutting PBS is the exact opposite of "big things". The point Obama needs to make is the "deficit hawk" party is the one that wants to spend 2 trillion in excess of what the defense department asked for and cut 400 million from PBS.
Eh. He made a half-joke about big bird as a part of one of his answers in the debate, not a policy speech on the subject. If the Obama camp presses too hard they will be the ones looking small and petty.

Eh. He made a half-joke about big bird as a part of one of his answers in the debate, not a policy speech on the subject. If the Obama camp presses too hard they will be the ones looking small and petty.

Hence my comparison to McCain. Jackson50 is right that campaigns tend to try out various lines of attacks, but McCain took that to another level by making an ad out of every comment Obama made, thing he did, etc. It led us to Joe The Plumber, afterall.

Obama came off as disinterested and lacking in specifics at the debate. The last thing he needs to do is start looking petty and reactionary.

AniHawk

comparison to a similar timeframe in 2008

fn62dje9ie-hmbrexqm40w.gif

obama was ahead in gallup for all of october and never relinquished the lead by the end of the month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom