• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

I'm about to make a gun post on the blog. Incoming pretty soon.

Lurker here. Will there be an inauguration thread? What''s this nonsense about a blog? Will it mainly be there?

The blog is just something we do on the side, where we can post more thought out and better researched things and link others to it from outside the neogaf world. We'll still be talking about stuff here and possibly in the OT section if it's something big enough to warrant it.

Tim-E

Yeah, it's most definitely not even close to my actual believes on guns and the control thereof. It's mostly just a reaction to the tone of the debate and to specifically what Bill said.

Over the next week I'd like to focus a post on the use of the AWB as a bargaining chip & perhaps write a Public Service Announcement highlighting that absolutely no one or none of the proposals out there now are claiming to take anything from anyone and that there is no precedent in American politics that indicates that could happen. You touch on this in your post, but it's something I'd like to expand upon.

Also, hell yeah to the domain!

Is anyone in here going to inauguration tomorrow? What time are you guys thinking about leaving if you have tickets? Last time was a mess and even with tickets I wasn't able to get in. Trying to avoid that this time.

FyreWulff

Google searches are absurdly personalized now, so if you've visited the blog already it's going to spike it up in the google results only for you. Just FYI.

tranciful

The same as before, through Wordpress. The URL is just redirecting to the Wordpress page.

You guys should be able to use that url for editing etc, too. I'd imagine you can access the wordpress dashboard from either url. Though I usually host my own wordpress instance so it might be different if you're letting them host

Best way to check is make the same search on a different browser

Incognito mode in chrome should work too

FyreWulff

You guys should be able to use that url for editing etc, too. I'd imagine you can access the wordpress dashboard from either url. Though I usually host my own wordpress instance so it might be different if you're letting them host

Incognito mode in chrome should work too

Wouldn't matter. They have a bunch of parameters they can use on cookieless non-logged in users.

IE if I search No Frills on a clean computer up here in Vancouver, it will immediately return the Canadian grocery store chain. If I search it back home in Nebraska, it'll return the American grocery chain with the same name as the first result. The other one doesn't show up in the results. Conversely, if I search "No Frills" in Duckduckgo, both of them will show up as the first two results.

Here's a good Ted talk on "bubbling". Google uses at least 57 parameters to customize your results:

http://www.ted.com/talks/eli_pariser_beware_online_filter_bubbles.html

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Nice looking blog, but I dunno if having your launch party as its own NeoGAF thread was such a good idea, even given that all the participants are gaffers. It skirts a bit close to the self promotion TOS violation.

Anyway, it looks nice, with some good commentary. Try not to get too wordy unless you have to, and have a TL;DR summary handy if necessary if you think the longer stuff will turn off quick perusers of content.

Good luck!

RDreamer

Nice looking blog, but I dunno if having your launch party as its own NeoGAF thread was such a good idea, even given that all the participants are gaffers. It skirts a bit close to the self promotion TOS violation.

I suppose. I've seen other people do it quite a bit, though, so I guess the rules are fuzzy. I know there have been a few musicians with threads for their albums that have popped up here and there.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I suppose. I've seen other people do it quite a bit, though, so I guess the rules are fuzzy. I know there have been a few musicians with threads for their albums that have popped up here and there.

Perhaps it's a little more explicit since it is its own website? Anyway, it doesn't exclude you from linking posts as the source for a particular thread discussion. Just don't make it too blatant, I guess.

Hmm, for some reason I always thought you were black. I think I was getting you mixed up with Dreams Visions. lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I was worried that the thread may get locked.

Are we allowed to talk about the site in this thread at least?

Tim-E

I think as long as we're using the writing there as a basis for discussion. But to discuss general administration of the site I think we need to move elsewhere.

RDreamer

I think as long as we're using the writing there as a basis for discussion. But to discuss general administration of the site I think we need to move elsewhere.

Yeah, this is probably true. All the posts will be political, so we can definitely post them here, I would think. They should stir discussion. But administration should probably move elsewhere.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
This thread exists in Community as it is so mods don't have to read it.

Not true at all. The thread exists here because it was acting as a vacuum for all political news and discussion on the Off-Topic forum. What was it, the state of the union address last year that didn't even get a dedicated thread? Only served to alienate the general GAF population and stifle discussion at large for the sake of the convenience of a small core group of dedicated PoliGAF members who lived in the megathread.

That is the whole point of the Community initiative, to not break up these subcommunities but at the same time address the megathread issues bogging down the main forums.

RDreamer

Generally, if you make a thread and the OP links back to your blog/youtube channel/whatever, it will be assumed that the purpose of the thread was self-promotion.

If something on your blog becomes noteworthy enough that someone else makes a thread and links to it, that's another matter (see: Oblivion's blog and that thread about the tax rates infographic).

I think what was confusing to me was the 2 or 3 musician threads I've seen where they post their own stuff. Specifically I remember that Timberwolf guy doing it. I figured it was kind of a fine line thing where new posters couldn't come in and do that, but if a poster who's been around does something noteworthy it was fine. I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom