• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did they think Obama was playing around in 2008 and accidentally won? How does a campaign not understand basic shit like that; none of them had experience running a local election? This is the type of thing that would have been obvious early to an old campaign vet. You can just imagine the scene from the upcoming adaption where dramatic music and a montage of voter contact scenes quickly flash, then the rugged Romney campaign guy drops his scotch and says "they're running a local campaign...on a national level. Get me the governor on the phone." That will be in Game Change 2, mark my words.

These guys better not run another campaign ever again.

Two words: Community Organizer.

The underestimated 'im before. They underestimated 'im again.

While elections were going on, we missed this little gem:

The First Family:

the_first_family_cast_a_l.jpg

Could have been more ground breaking.

Why not a mixed race first family?

gcubed

The tagg bullshit is just rich entitlement talking. We lost -> we never really wanted to win anyway -> therefore we aren't losers

watershed

Banned
Mitt Romney has been running for president for the last ten years. Anyone who says he didn't want it is straight up lying. Let's not forget going into election day Romney expected to win and didn't even write a concession speech.

So, have you guys seen the stuff going around saying that the FBI was doing surveillance on Occupy Wall Street and treating it like domestic terrorism?
Not sure why this is surprising. It was a growing movement that was anti big business and at times threatened the day to day activities of business. I would be shocked if the FBI didn't do the same for the Tea Party and any other movement who came to be based on anger at the status quo.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Tagg is the biggest douchebag in the Romney family. iirc didn't he also talk about how he wanted to punch Obama in the face during the debates and then laughing it off like he wasn't a bad thing to say. Sure dude, your Dad totally never meant to run.

"we didn't want it anyway" mm, more tears please.

RDreamer

Not sure why this is surprising. It was a growing movement that was anti big business and at times threatened the day to day activities of business. I would be shocked if the FBI didn't do the same for the Tea Party and any other movement who came to be based on anger at the status quo.

I'd be pretty surprised if they gave the Tea Party the same treatment. Tea Party was bankrolled by big business.

I'd be pretty surprised if they gave the Tea Party the same treatment. Tea Party was bankrolled by big business.
Doesn't matter. I would be very surprised if the FBI didn't treat any large group whose core message was being anti establishment as a threat. And lets not forget what the Tea Party morphed into was quite different than what it was In the very beginning. As in the beginning, it was anti establishment. Even though it was during the Bush presidency, it was a time of uncertainty with the recession having just begun.

Xeke

Banned
Tagg is the biggest douchebag in the Romney family. iirc didn't he also talk about how he wanted to punch Obama in the face during the debates and then laughing it off like he wasn't a bad thing to say. Sure dude, your Dad totally never meant to run.

800px-Tagg_Romney.jpg

Chichikov

So, have you guys seen the stuff going around saying that the FBI was doing surveillance on Occupy Wall Street and treating it like domestic terrorism?
That wouldn't surprise me one bit, this country has a long an sad tradition of treating peaceful protesters and political activists as enemy combatants.

The sad thing is that now we even have a quasi-legal framework for doing this things.
Aren't you all happy that we pooped all over the constitution because some cavedwellers with box cutters got lucky once?

I want to read the Boston Globe article in full...but paywall

Any other sources?
I was able to access it with a mobile device

I agree with you guys on Tagg. His wife specifically has said that she told Romney she didn't want to deal with another run after 08. In fact she claims she made a video of herself saying it; she told Kelly And Michael that after she said no more, Mitt said "you always say that after you get pregnant too." lol

Yet Tagg suggests Anne begged him to run this time. Yea right. She probably got on board after he convinced her he could win. The man's last decade has been built around running for president.

Tamanon

Banned
That wouldn't surprise me one bit, this country has a long an sad tradition of treating peaceful protesters and political activists as enemy combatants.

The sad thing is that now we even have a quasi-legal framework for doing this things.
Aren't you all happy that we pooped all over the constitution because some cavedwellers with box cutters got lucky once?

Reading through the article, I fail to see anything even remotely unconstitutional.

Chichikov

Reading through the article, I fail to see anything even remotely unconstitutional.
I think it violates the 4th and probably 1st amendment; though to be fair, we pretty much decided to ignore the 4th amendment and the freedom of assembly provisions in the 1st because it inconvenient our law enforcement a while ago.
But the point I was trying to make is that branding a citizen a domestic terrorist grant the government an amazing powers against said citizen, and that's a direct result of the war on terror which I find wholly unconstitutional.

By god, we need to end the war on terror, like yesterday, I was hoping we can also try Alberto Gonzales for treason, but whatever, that's never going to happen, I've grown to accept it, accountability is for common people.

Link

The Autumn Wind
It just wastes time and leaves one child underdeveloped character wise, especially when the kids aren't the focus of the show, i.e. Meg from Family Guy. Should just have the teen and a younger child.
Well, the whole point with Meg is that whenever they they aren't treating her like crap, everyone ignores her and forgets she exists. I feel like they're poking fun at that trope with her.

Candidates need a House plurality (218) to be elected Speaker, meaning even a small leadership challenge could cause Boehner to lose - at which point republicans would have to select a candidate capable of unifying the caucus.
It's a straight up and down vote in Congress. However, the majority caucus will align to vote for 1 guy to make sure they don't lose since the Speaker of the House essentially controls all legislation and it's not worth screwing that up. of course, with this current crop, anything is possible. Highly unlikely, though. if Canter makes a coup, it will be in private first with very few defections. Not enough to lose the Speakership.
Technically the system allows for this, but I'm not sure it makes sense for anyone involved. Democrats would probably prefer to prolong the Republicans' struggles by preventing any candidate for Speaker from having a majority, and Boehner might not actually want to be Speaker if the only way to have the job is to obviously be the Democrats' preferred Republican.
Well, Boehner is in trouble, no questions asked. Canter is probably looking to convince enough people to drop support for Boehner. Now, Boehner can risk that fight or he could get the minimal amount of Republicans needed to vote together with Democrats and already be secured of speakerships. It removes the neccesity to convince too many Republicans (which will include a lot of crazies) and it will remove an internal Republican power struggle which could have some Republicans choosing to vote for who they think might win in order to stay in that person's grace, rather than vote for the person they actually want to win. Of course dealing with Democrats would perhaps damage his reputation severely and limit his negotiating position, but it would guarantee him speakership and guarantee that he can get something done, which should look good on him and strengthen his (currently faux) image of bipartisanship, reaching across the aisle and all that. It also seems like the group of Republicans that are adamantly and openly against compromise with Democrats is getting bigger, which means he will need many Democratic votes regardless of what's going to happen. Perhaps this is much more far fetched than I think, even though for the record I do believe this is a long shot scenario. Depending on how crazy the infighting gets in the GOP House however, it doesn't have to stay that way.
What did you get banned for? They've been banning a lot lately. I'm kinda surprised I haven't been banned for something.
It happened after it turned out that the Ryan guy was not the shooter at Sandy Hook and information that his brother was the shooter started coming up. Some poster who was certain that it was the Ryan guy and posted I believe either his Facebook or picture, continued talking about the possible identity of the shooter even after it was revealed that the media and he himself fucked up big time by plastering Ryan's Facebook/picture all over the place. I was seriously disgusted by it and called him a disgusting human being. Though I'm assuming the general tone of my posts at the time was also the reason. (The only mod I saw around was Cyan, so I think it was him/her. I used to like him/her >.>) It was all just crazy how people were so nonchalant about spreading pictures, twitters and Facebooks of possible shooters. I couldn't believe mod's weren't cracking down.

It was an interesting week however. I started to pay more attention to posts which could be labeled similar to exactly the same as mine and watched if they were punished too.

Mitt Romney has been running for president for the last ten years. Anyone who says he didn't want it is straight up lying. Let's not forget going into election day Romney expected to win and didn't even write a concession speech.
Truth bomb. The record speaks for itself for mittens. No one is buying Tagg's story and in fact they come off as rich loser pricks with that bs.

Especially these days with tight government budgets but massively wealthy Wall Street people. Wall Street people have been creating funds to pay for police. I wouldn't be surprised if something like the Pinkertons made a come-back.

Gotchaye

Well, Boehner is in trouble, no questions asked. Canter is probably looking to convince enough people to drop support for Boehner. Now, Boehner can risk that fight or he could get the minimal amount of Republicans needed to vote together with Democrats and already be secured of speakerships. It removes the neccesity to convince too many Republicans (which will include a lot of crazies) and it will remove an internal Republican power struggle which could have some Republicans choosing to vote for who they think might win in order to stay in that person's grace, rather than vote for the person they actually want to win. Of course dealing with Democrats would perhaps damage his reputation severely and limit his negotiating position, but it would guarantee him speakership and guarantee that he can get something done, which should look good on him and strengthen his (currently faux) image of bipartisanship, reaching across the aisle and all that. It also seems like the group of Republicans that are adamantly and openly against compromise with Democrats is getting bigger, which means he will need many Democratic votes regardless of what's going to happen. Perhaps this is much more far fetched than I think, even though for the record I do believe this is a long shot scenario. Depending on how crazy the infighting gets in the GOP House however, it doesn't have to stay that way.
I don't think you're appreciating the sheer size of the shitstorm that would ensue if Boehner retained his Speakership due to a lot of Democrats' votes and then passed substantial legislation with relatively few Republican votes. Boehner would be persona non grata in the GOP and might as well switch his affiliation at that point, and I expect he'd lose his primary next time around. Democrats would get 100% of the blame for anything bad in the bill as everyone on the right denounces it in every particular for weeks. Unless it's a liberal dream bill it makes no sense for Democrats to allow that to happen, and I don't see how Boehner survives.

tumblr_mc63o1PDZ81rx7r68o1_1280.jpg

I don't think you're appreciating the sheer size of the shitstorm that would ensue if Boehner retained his Speakership due to a lot of Democrats' votes and then passed substantial legislation with relatively few Republican votes. Boehner would be persona non grata in the GOP and might as well switch his affiliation at that point, and I expect he'd lose his primary next time around. Democrats would get 100% of the blame for anything bad in the bill as everyone on the right denounces it in every particular for weeks. Unless it's a liberal dream bill it makes no sense for Democrats to allow that to happen, and I don't see how Boehner survives.
My theory is that many Republicans who want Boehner would be too scared to vote for him because they might think someone else will get more votes. I doubt even they would go so far as to prolong a vote so much that it would hurt the party. Like others said this is going to be a backroom deal and one vote. In that scenario I see Boehner losing support if it is perceived that he is losing. I think those Republicans would also be the ones who would support him in a deal which would kind of downplay the fact that mostly democrats will vote for it (also because any deal is going to have almost unanimous Democratic support). If you see a vote like 300 yay to 134 nay, it will be hard to argue that it was a bad deal. He can trumpet that a good majority supported it and it was highly bipartisan. But yes, it's a pretty crazy scenario and entirely dependant on how crazy the infighting in the GOP becomes and how badly Boehner is going to want to make a deal and not disappear in obscurity. I'm doubtful whether a deal which in two years will see decent employment and growth will hurt him so much that he'll lose the primary, regardless of the politics surrounding it. On the other hand failing to make a deal will fuck everything up for him. I think he'd risk dealing with Dem's.
lol! I should have known you'd be hanging around PoliGAF. Just messing around though, no hard feelings.

pigeon

Banned

The Dems don't have much motivation to do this, though, because if the moderates in the GOP get disenfranchised, they're even more motivated to vote with the Dems. If anything, they should be voting for Pelosi.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Watching meet the press was so frustrating this weekend. First, wayne lapierre. 'Nuff said

2nd....Chuck Todd basically saying that the president should raise his 250k limit to 700k in order to get a deal done. pretty much saying he should give in because the gop will keep doing this if he doesnt get a deal done. Ugh!

Wilsongt

Pro-gun rights US petition to deport Piers Morgan

LONDON (AP) — Tens of thousands of people have signed a petition calling for British CNN host Piers Morgan to be deported from the U.S. over his gun control views.

Morgan has taken an aggressive stand for tighter U.S. gun laws in the wake of the Newtown, Connecticut, school shooting. Last week, he called a gun advocate appearing on his "Piers Morgan Tonight" show an "unbelievably stupid man."

I'm all for deporting Piers Morgan, but not for this reason.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
http://www.boston.com/news/politics...ident-obama/2QWkUB9pJgVIi1mAcIhQjL/story.html

Hilarious. What did they think the offices and staff were used for? Obama gift giveaway parties or something?

Some people have convinced themselves that Obama is so dumb that he couldn't possibly something like hire 1000s of people to help him win the presidency.

They believed the 2008 statements where people said Obama voters only liked and voted for him due to him giving good speeches. I'm more shocked that Romney didn't hire 1000s of people to do the same thing from himself.

Some people have convinced themselves that Obama is so dumb that he couldn't possibly something like hire 1000s of people to help him win the presidency.

They believed the 2008 statements were people said Obama votes only like and voted for him due to him giving good speeches. I'm more shocked that Romney didn't hire 1000s of people to do the same thing from himself.

Yeah, one of the things I learned this election is exactly why incumbents have such a strong advantage. They know they are the candidate and they have the time & money to build up a ground game while the opposition is ripping themselves apart in their primaries. By the time the primaries end, you have little time & money to put together a ground game.

I guess the party should do that but the GOP party has been in disarray since about 2006. And what is the GOP's strongest point? Not the party, that is a fucking mess with Michael Steele and Prince Reibus. No the strongest part is billionaires doling out money and Karl Rove advertising hate. That just isn't enough.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Well I just got surprised by my dad big time.

He's been having some medical problems, but he doesn't have insurance. The talk then got to healthcare. The man's a diehard Republican, and he normally goes on about how Obama is a communist, muslim, etc. He even hit me with a doozy today about him trying to drive up the debt in order to declare martial law and remain in office indefinitely. And of course he doesn't like Obamacare (which I agreed with him on a few points). For some reason, I mentioned and explained single payer healthcare, and out of nowhere he agreed with me. He mentioned that he hated the stranglehold that the pharmaceutical and insurance companies have on our healthcare, so I knew he wasn't confused. I even told him single payer was considered a socialist idea, but that didn't cause him to backpedal. I guess he realized that medical costs are too damn high in this country and that a single payer system would be a great use of tax dollars. Maybe there is some hope with my dad after all.

I'm sure they investigated with some of their anti-government and gun rhetoric. Remember that right-wing millitia paper that created such a controversy?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Well I just got surprised by my dad big time.

He's been having some medical problems, but he doesn't have insurance. The talk then got to healthcare. The man's a diehard Republican, and he normally goes on about how Obama is a communist, muslim, etc. He even hit me with a doozy today about him trying to drive up the debt in order to declare martial law and remain in office indefinitely. And of course he doesn't like Obamacare (which I agreed with him on a few points). For some reason, I mentioned and explained single payer healthcare, and out of nowhere he agreed with me. He mentioned that he hated the stranglehold that the pharmaceutical and insurance companies have on our healthcare, so I knew he wasn't confused. I even told him single payer was considered a socialist idea, but that didn't cause him to backpedal. I guess he realized that medical costs are too damn high in this country and that a single payer system would be a great use of tax dollars. Maybe there is some hope with my dad after all.

It's comforting to read things like this. I work in healthcare and it is amazing the hold and pull many people have in this country. Glad that your father has seen the light.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

FBI doesn't give a shit. FBI watches any group, individual or organization it thinks might commit a crime. While I doubt they ever watched the 'Tea Party' the absolutely were paying attention to splinters, factions and retards within the party (redundant).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom