• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does it have to be considered in any real-world discussion on the matter? If you mean a discussion about the practical likelihood of happening, sure. If you mean a discussion about the substantive policy itself, then no. The party that benefits is totally irrelevant to a rationally held position about whether a person supports or opposes a NPV for president.

Also, I must disagree with everybody about NPV benefiting Democrats, because I don't see that at all. We already know that Democrats would win every election if everybody voted, but we're not talking about a law requiring people to vote. We're talking about the method by which a winner is selected from the votes cast. If anything, it's the reverse. In the last election, the popular vote was far closer than the electoral college result.

You are confusing design with political compromise. Also, I think you are confusing the Senate with the electoral college. The Senate was designed to protect the interests of small states; the electoral college has little to do with small versus big states.

Yes, I mean practicality of change.

And I am not confusing anything, they set the electors to correspond to members of Congress, which favors small states.

pigeon

Banned
Actually, you could argue that the NPV could make it an even more manipulatable process. Imagine doing the 2000 election recount, except no one really knows where to look for faulty voting areas.

Except the odds of a recount would be much, much lower, because there would be one total to worry about instead of fifty. The current system is probably pretty close to ideal if you want to maximize the chance of a recount deciding the outcome of the election.

gcubed

I feel like the current argument about NPV is the result of our children growing up in a society where everyone is winners and the only viable solution, whether wrong or right, is one that's equal. Its the most infuriating pages of posts I've seen in a while.

wat. My PoliGAF kid brother is really my PoliGAF kid sister? Or is she a lot older than I previously thought too?
Yup! And I'm 20, but I'll be 21 on February 10th.

Congrats on the baby by the way!
I like how people keep discovering this every 3 pages or so. At this point Dax should just have her avatar straight up say it so we don't have to be surprised anymore.

lol, but it's really funny this way. What's most funny, though, is that I made this post which I linked to in my reply to Oblivion about PoliGAF having no women, and I made that during the fiscal cliff shenanigans, but no one said anything.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

lol, but it's really funny this way. What's most funny, though, is that I made this post (which I linked to) long before I replied to Oblivion about PoliGAF having no women, during the fiscal cliff shenanigans, and no one said anything.

Wow, you're birthday's a day after mine lol

PoliGAF doesn't discriminate against people, well it's more like we're lazy and just didn't notice.

hhahaha

2013-01-24T203805Z_568560029_GM1E91P0CTB01_RTRMADP_3_FINANCIAL-REGULATION-NOMINATIONS.JPG

not even a photoshop

Link

That's funny

pigeon

Banned
lol, but it's really funny this way. What's most funny, though, is that I made this post (which I linked to) long before I replied to Oblivion about PoliGAF having no women, during the fiscal cliff shenanigans, and no one said anything.

I wish I had the log of the IRC PMs Diablos sent me where he was like "why are you calling Dax she" and I was like "cause...I'm pretty sure she's a woman?" and he was like "why, have you seen pictures" and I was like "no I'm just guessing from her posts" and he was like "I don't believe that at all, also why does he keep calling me honey?" Good times.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
lol, but it's really funny this way. What's most funny, though, is that I made this post which I linked to in my reply to Oblivion about PoliGAF having no women, and I made that during the fiscal cliff shenanigans, but no one said anything.

Well, the thing is, I saw that original post, but I thought you were using a figure of speech with the "twtitter girl" comment. Similar to how everyone on the gaming side says "ALL OVER MY TITS!" every time a new Sony first party game appears.

RDreamer

Well, the thing is, I saw that original post, but I thought you were using a figure of speech with the "twtitter girl" comment. Similar to how everyone on the gaming side says "ALL OVER MY TITS!" every time a new Sony first party game appears.

BREAKING: GAMING SIDE IS ACTUALLY 90% WOMEN AND THEY ACTUALLY DO RUB SONY PRODUCTS OVER THEIR TITS

Qazaq

Banned
So if I advocate for a national popular vote but at the same time condemn voter ID laws, am I being a hypocrite?

No, you're a Democrat.

I'm done engaging with you. You put your fingers in your ear and go "lalala" even though I literally answer you. You just don't want to read. So whatever.

I always thought dax was a lady. Some of you people aren't very perceptive.

Of course we all know women don't actually exist on the Internet.

Regarding categorizing, I think I just did it for my latest post I forgot about that but I did tag!

Also I think anyone can edit so feel free to tag or categorize any of my posts.

Tamanon

Banned
I always thought dad was a chick. Some of you people aren't very perceptive.

Of course we all know women don't actually exist on the Internet.

Regarding categorizing, I think I just did it for my latest post I forgot about that but I did tag!

Also I think anyone can edit so feel free to tag or categorize any of my posts.

Admission means the healing can begin.

Citizens demand RSS!

Definitely kid sister age then. At least I can still call you kiddo, kiddo. I remember that post, and thought at the time that it was some sort of reference to Bieber fangirls on twitter or something.

I'm actually not liberal. The problem is how far right the GOP has moved.

Yeah, I don't think my posts are that overtly liberal; I'm far less "liberal" than a lot of people here.

Then it probably stands to reason that zero shift is probably pretty far right.

Until someone starts advocating 70% income tax on people making $1m+, please stop spreading horseshit.

Far too conservative.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Can we get some more moderate people on the blog? It's far too liberal.

Dude, if you have a problem with the stuff that's been posted on the site already, then I don't know how you're gonna handle my upcoming essay on the positive aspects of murdering the wealthy.

Tim-E

Damn, this comes just before I make my post advocating for mandatory gay marriage, cocaine for Medicaid recipients, 90% tax rate across the board, the abolishment of big business, mandatory bicycle ownership, and vegetable gardens for everyone.

Dude, if you have a problem with the stuff that's been posted on the site already, then I don't know how you're gonna handle my upcoming essay on the positive aspects of murdering the wealthy.

[/backpat]

Hey emptyvessel/any other lawyers here: do you think Virginia's change of allocating electoral votes would implicate Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act? Virginia is definitely a covered state under the Act.

This would mean that Virginia would need approval from a federal court before being allowed to make the change, and would have to show that it is not intended to diminish the voting power of minorities. I wonder if Section 5 applies to these types of changes.

For example, I'm pretty sure voter ID laws have been struck down in southern Section 5 states before. It's much harder to get any voting changes done down there.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hey emptyvessel/any other lawyers here: do you think Virginia's change of allocating electoral votes would implicate Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act? Virginia is definitely a covered state under the Act.

This would mean that Virginia would need approval from a federal court before being allowed to make the change, and would have to show that it would not diminish the voting power of minorities. I wonder if Section 5 applies to these types of changes.

The SC is looking at this very provision this year, so even if it would qualify under current law by the time the courts get at it all of it could very well have changed.

This would mean that Virginia would need approval from a federal court before being allowed to make the change, and would have to show that it would not diminish the voting power of minorities. I wonder if Section 5 applies to these types of changes.

Won't matter if the Supreme Court strikes the voting rights act down in a few months.

Tim-E

Guys, I'm working on my post on the politically feasibility of abolishing the Constitution so the 1,000 year reign of King Obama can begin.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Can we get some more moderate people on the blog? It's far too liberal.

I was about to post about benghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazibenghazi

So I've got the conservative voice covered, don't you worry. (Actually I'm doing a thing on Virginia, but I don't have a lot of free time to do it with)

I hereby move to ban discussions on comparisons between different methods of voting for president. I have no idea why I forced myself through those pages.

From some of PantherLotus' posts few years ago, I ascertained that Dax was a girl. I knew it before all you fools.

Her suggestions for PDs avatar gave it away as well.

Gotchaye

This would mean that Virginia would need approval from a federal court before being allowed to make the change, and would have to show that it is not intended to diminish the voting power of minorities. I wonder if Section 5 applies to these types of changes.

For example, I'm pretty sure voter ID laws have been struck down in southern Section 5 states before. It's much harder to get any voting changes done down there.

I'm not sure it does. The problem is that this change is fairly innocuous except for the fact that the districts are heavily gerrymandered. And states have gotten away with some pretty extreme gerrymandering. The proposed change to the law is only about using existing districts, which are probably legally fine and which don't implicate the VRA when used to elect House Reps, to elect the President. Plus the states are given pretty broad authority to pick their own electors in Article 2 - no one could have a legal objection to the state legislature simply picking a bunch of Republican electors, and that would give even fewer electoral votes to the favored candidate of Democrats/minorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom