• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Lake

so I woke up today to find my dad sent an email to my immediate family with a link to some Reason "hurf durf the climate hasn't warmed since 1998" thing

(immediately sent a rebuttal including all five temperature records, along with a helpful reminder that the US was not the world)
If it hasn't warmed what explains the sea level rise?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

My dad tried to use the Water Cycle to explain that away last year, I stomped on that shit so hard. It's like every time my family gets together I need to give a science lesson to correct some dumb shit.

I know how annoying it can get. Especially with the conspiracy theories. When you try to debunk them, they look at you like you're a poor puppy dog oblivious to everything that's around you.

This is the part I fucking hate the most.

And everything that's mentioned to counter is bunk because its part of the 'liberal media'.

Thankfully for me, this only happens once every four years and isn't a constant. Only when the elections are up.

man, that sucks for your families. My family is real tiny and with politics mostly just relates around my dad, who instead of arguing with me will simply say "i heard so and so. What are the fact?" at which point I will show them to him if i can and that will be that.

My well to do cousins don't want tax hike because they are greedy, but that's about the only issue

massoluk

Banned
A sample quote of my bro-in-law I have to endure this Christmas meeting
He doesn't even appear to understand why some think he's racist.
"Call black people Black, what the fuck is this African American BS."
"Would you like some coffee? Oh, you drink black? That's how you like you're girl huh? Black and strong."

Link

The Autumn Wind
A sample quote of my bro-in-law I have to endure this Christmas meeting
He doesn't even appear to understand why some think he's racist.
"Would you like some coffee? Oh, you drink black? That's how you like you're girl huh? Black and strong."
Im just gonna say it. That's... really not that bad.

You guys had it rough. My family ranges from center-right to extremo, cuckoo land right, but talk of politics was mostly avoided.

The only two political comments I remember were a lame one liner about from my dad about Obama being an idiot and a crazy comment from my uncle about Fort Knox. We were playing Apples to Apples, and when I submitted a Fort Knox card as a valuable/expensive object, my uncle said "Heh, there's no gold in Fort Knox." I was like =/

Though I did miss most of the Christmas Eve party hosted by my crazy uncle that went off the deep end after the election and hates me but doesn't hate me because I had to work, so who knows what was said there.

massoluk

Banned
Im just gonna say it. That's... really not that bad.

I said "sample". A couple is not that bad. But when you hear a bucket load of reference to black people... Conversation just keep steering that way. Talking about grocery shopping turn into how black people used food stamp for cigarette.

This is a cultural quirk I never really understood about the US racial lexicon. How did 'black' become a beyond-the-pale (heh) descriptor? Same thing with the word 'colored' (though the legal associations with segregation etc. make this an easier sell).

The NAACP shows this wasn't always the case and black people can self-identify as black without much issue, so why the neutral (and culturally inaccurate) descriptor for use on television? Did racists say the words with that much of a sneer?

American blacks haven't been African for over a century now. They're as American as baseball and swivel chairs. Michelle Obama is about as African as Prescott Bush was English. If black Americans go on holiday in any part of sub-saharan Africa, they're seen not as fellow Africans, but as Americans - the men are brasher, the women walk taller, they look foreign, they think foreign, they don't understand the local ways.

African American strikes me as a better descriptor of African immigrants. It strikes me as a bit odd. Explain this to me.

Saw an article about how the increase in population and building density in cities along the sea was the main cause for 'rising sea levels'. Aka the sea hasn't risen more than usual. It's just that the cities directly at sea have seen the ground underneath them drop which makes it seem as if the sea level has risen. I didn't research it further but it was presented as fact and written by I guess a geologist.

pigeon

Banned
This is a cultural quirk I never really understood about the US racial lexicon. How did 'black' become a beyond-the-pale (heh) descriptor? Same thing with the word 'colored' (though the legal associations with segregation etc. make this an easier sell).

The NAACP shows this wasn't always the case and black people can self-identify as black without much issue, so why the neutral (and culturally inaccurate) descriptor for use on television? Did racists say the words with that much of a sneer?

This is...a rather ignorant comment. The issue with racist terms is not so much with sneering as with their association with, you know, whipping and shooting. African-American is a preferred term in the media because it was a term invented by African-Americans to describe themselves, rather than a term invented by Europeans to describe their slaves.

American blacks haven't been African for over a century now.

They haven't ever had black skin at all. Technical accuracy isn't really a huge priority for descriptors. For example, where I come from, gay people are considered rather quotidian and commonplace, not really queer at all.

fallagin

American blacks haven't been African for over a century now. They're as American as baseball and swivel chairs. Michelle Obama is about as African as Prescott Bush was English. If black Americans go on holiday in any part of sub-saharan Africa, they're seen not as fellow Africans, but as Americans - the men are brasher, the women walk taller, they look foreign, they think foreign, they don't understand the local ways.

African American strikes me as a better descriptor of African immigrants. It strikes me as a bit odd. Explain this to me.

I'm not entirely sure on this, but it could be something to do with black being associated with bad and evil things in alot of the english language. Eg black heart, black death, black cat... those sorts of things.

So who do you think most african americans are descendents of?

I'm not entirely sure on this, but it could be something to do with black being associated with bad and evil things in alot of the english language. Eg black heart, black death, black cat... those sorts of things.

you want your money/investments to be in the black, though!

So who do you think most african americans are descendents of?

I think his point is that we don't call white people whose descendants came from say France 300 years ago a French-American. It also has problems with many white South Africans.

Of course, we will probably refer to anyone with Asian descendants as Asian (or Oriental) so it's not consistent at all. The whole system probably makes no sense.

My rule of thumb is once it's further back than your grandparents, you're a native of where you're born. If you're grandparents or parents immigrated, than you can claim to be "X-American" After that, you're just American!

you want your money/investments to be in the black, though!

I think his point is that we don't call white people whose descendants came from say France 300 years ago a French-American. It also has problems with many white South Africans.

Of course, we will probably refer to anyone with Asian descendants as Asian (or Oriental) so it's not consistent at all. The whole system probably makes no sense.

My rule of thumb is once it's further back than your grandparents, you're a native of where you're born. If you're grandparents or parents immigrated, than you can claim to be "X-American" After that, you're just American!

No, we call them caucasian. Or white. I rarely if ever hear somebody reffered to as just American.

This is...a rather ignorant comment. The issue with racist terms is not so much with sneering as with their association with, you know, whipping and shooting. African-American is a preferred term in the media because it was a term invented by African-Americans to describe themselves, rather than a term invented by Europeans to describe their slaves.
Of course it's ignorant. I wanted someone to explain the history behind it, not to be berated for asking the question. I'm not from the US.

They haven't ever had black skin at all. Technical accuracy isn't really a huge priority for descriptors. For example, where I come from, gay people are considered rather quotidian and commonplace, not really queer at all.
White people are various shades of pink, yellow and tan, but it isn't as confusing as Indian American and American Indian.

No, we call them caucasian. Or white. I rarely if ever hear somebody reffered to as just American.

And we call black people black still, right?

We call people who look Oriental (descended from countries like Japan, china, thailand, etc) as Asians but that never refers to Indians or Middle-Easterners or [some] Russians, does it?

None of it makes sense. We need a better system.

Sounds like you're whitewashing the problem.
Pun?
White guys, Native Americans and Africans.
Im pretty sure that order would be reversed. But I'm glad you now see why descendents of Africans who were "immigrated" to America are called African Americans.

And we call black people black still, right?

We call people who look Oriental (descended from countries like Japan, china, thailand, etc) as Asians but that never refers to Indians or Middle-Easterners or [some] Russians, does it?

None of it makes sense. We need a better system.

Eh, it makes sense to me. I don't think the system should get some overhaul or something. Race isn't that important anyway.

Chumly

Your wife needs to woman up and tell her mom that as long as she is in her house, she needs to keep her racist thoughts to herself :/
Were talking about the casual Fox News viewer type racism verses the n word racist. Going on about anchor babies, this is America! Nobody should be speaking Spanish! Lazy blacks and Mexicans on welfare Etc. she did mention last night that she was glad to be back and watching a nice Midwestern newscast and we were like what the fuck? She's convinced it's all that affirmative action and liberal diversity guilt.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Probably Republicans, he wasn't a true Republican

Yeah, he helped those lazy disabled welfare queens instead of encouraging them to pull themselves up by their bootstraps with their cerebral palsy, paraplegia, etc.

Clevinger

Yeah, he helped those lazy disabled welfare queens instead of encouraging them to pull themselves up by their bootstraps with their cerebral palsy, paraplegia, etc.

It's funny looking back at Bill Hicks' old standup about HW. He would have gone insane if he saw modern Republicans.

These Christmas stories make me sad my family resides on the plantation of democrats, like most other black people. You're either a democrat or some type of conspiracy theorist, there's little middle ground.

I envy your diversity and pawgs, white people

My parents were conservative, but they were old-school reasonable conservatives whose racism was minor and unconscious, and they were actually pretty liberal (for the time) about stuff like gay rights. I never had this kind of divide with them, but then my whole family tends to avoid conflict rather than embrace it. My in-laws are as liberal as they get, so no issues there.

I've convinved most of my immediate family that the Republicans don't know what the hell they're doing when it comes to the economy, so they vote solidly Democrat at the national level. The only one I haven't managed to convince is my stepfather (who is from Alabama).

He's about as egotistical as they come and is convinced that all of his opinions are self-derived and thus cannot be wrong. It's infuriating because the man is a damn engineer, he should be open to the process of critical analysis and be open minded. He's not though and is a Rush/Hannity fan. His own sons (two of whom are PhDs) also think he's crazy, and apologize after we get into political discussions because his ignorance is that embarrassing.

Heh, my parents are straight up odd couple. It used to be mom in the living room watching her some olbermann, and dad watching him some O'Reilly in the office. They've come out from CA to brooklyn to visit on election night twice, once in 2010 and once in 2012. Dad Gloated in 2010, then wondered why we weren't gloating in in 2012 heh.

We just don't really talk politics as a family.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Wow, I clicked expecting idiots to think it was the younger Bush. I didn't think people had that much hatred for HW.

I had an environmental anti-George H.W. Bush tshirt that I ordered out of the back of Rolling Stone. It wasn't offensive but it had his picture and some stuff about how he was anti-environment.

HylianTom

Banned
I need to catch up with the thread. Hope I find some awkward political christmas stories.
Sadly (or maybe it's a happy thing?), nothing here. Mom, the family quintessential swing voter (Reagan > Bush 1 > Clinton > Gore > Bush 2 > Obama), went on an anti-gun rant out of nowhere when we were alone for a few moments on Christmas Day.. I found that a bit odd, as she's usually not one to give her opinion without being asked. She's a pretty good political barometer. There's part of me wondering if 2014 isn't going to be as good for the GOP as they would hope.

My sister's in-laws and most of the rest of my family are all Republicans (the divide in our family is absolutely perfect as far as the southern "suburban + rural residents = GOP, urban residents = Dems" correlation goes), but they were remarkably quiet. I just silently smiled whenever I saw Obama on television, all the while thinking, "Four more years, bitches. Eat it!"

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
ok so lets talk about something substantial then. There are "inside beltway rumors" that Hagel may be out as SoD with the backlash as well. This would be two floated candidates where Obama pussied out on because of special interest pressure.

I don't want to go on a rant about PD's Obama being the real Obama after seeing some signs of leadership during the fiscal cliff debate, but its not shining a good light on him at all

Didn't Rice clearly state that she pulled her own name?

Tea Party Nation founder Judson Phillips on Thursday disputed that President Obama claimed a mandate in November's election, arguing that his re-election victory came over "the worst candidate in history in Mitt Romney."

"You know, Obama ran on the fact he was going to raise taxes, the Republicans put up the worst candidate in history in Mitt Romney, yet Obama allegedly has this mandate," Phillips said during an appearance on MSNBC. "Well, why did Republicans keep the House if Obama has this great mandate? People don't want their taxes going up. What people do want is spending cuts."

Lolz

I7Rc1.jpg

Cloudy

Banned
John Harwood ‏@JohnJHarwood

Sr. WH official tells me that, contrary to reports from Repubs, president will NOT be sending a fiscal cliff proposal to Capitol Hill.

Good. STOP negotiating. The GOP can take the middle class tax cuts if they want...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom