• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLEABttn

Banned
It's such a dumb fear anyways. The federal government already has the bombs, tanks, and fighter jets. But the bullets are the concern here?

Whatever, the only thing that stops a bad government with a gun is a good government with a gun~

Clevinger

bitterness incarnate McCain: To be honest with you, Neil, it goes back to there’s a lot of ill will towards Senator Hagel because when he was a Republican, he attacked President Bush mercilessly and say he was the worst President since Herbert Hoover and said the surge was the worst blunder since the Vietnam War, which was nonsense. He was anti-his own party and people — people don’t forget that. You can disagree but if you’re disagreeable, then people don’t forget that.

FLEABttn

Banned
Also, wouldn't a high capacity ban include private security that some rock star would have?

It would depends on how the theoretical law passed. Most likely, yes, it would apply to rich people's private security as well.

Just another intellectually insulting argument from the NRA.

Snake

bitterness incarnate McCain: To be honest with you, Neil, it goes back to there’s a lot of ill will towards Senator Hagel because when he was a Republican, he attacked President Bush mercilessly and say he was the worst President since Herbert Hoover and said the surge was the worst blunder since the Vietnam War, which was nonsense. He was anti-his own party and people — people don’t forget that. You can disagree but if you’re disagreeable, then people don’t forget that.

ibjBKbxA7cHiPt.gif

commedieu

Banned

So they are acting like children, and then go on vacation on the tax payers dime.

GOP supporters are fine with this? Or?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I've never met anyone this salty and I've met Patriot fans while wearing my Giants hoodie.

"Welcome to Barack Obama's middle class."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/...apacity-magazine-ban-162148044--politics.html

I can no longer differentiate reality from satire.

Honestly, they have been motivating me more and more to by an assault rifle for protection. From them. Seriously, I feel like if I owned a firearm, "criminals" and "tyrannical government" would be far lower on my list of concerns than "law-abiding" NRA members and gun rights advocates, because fuck law-abiding citizens:

J9oll.jpg

It's Southern code for conservative white persons. Every time you read the word "law-abiding," replace it with "white racist" and the sentence will make far more political sense. Try it out on this 1968 Wallace political advertisement:

Look America, take a good look. This was done by anarchists, revolutionaries, the Molotov cocktail set. Ask yourself why are the anti-American, anti-God anarchists also violently anti-Wallace. Want to get rid of them? Then don’t waste your vote on those that encourage the sit-ins and illegal marches. Vote for a law-abiding, God-fearing America. It takes courage. Wallace has it, do you?​

It still works today. Try it out on Wayne Lapierre's recent remarks:

Anti-gun New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg had already done everything he could to prevent law-abiding New Yorkers from owning guns, and he has made sure that no ordinary citizen will ever be allowed to carry a gun. ... Hurricanes. Tornadoes. Riots. Terrorists. Gangs. Lone criminals. These are perils we are sure to face—not just maybe. It’s not paranoia to buy a gun. It’s survival. It’s responsible behavior, and it’s time we encourage law-abiding Americans to do just that.​

Or the recent NRA ad the article describes:

"It's just the rest of us, the law-abiding people, who will have to defend our families with limited-capacity magazines," a narrator intones. "Welcome to Barack Obama's middle class."

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
The Department of Homeland Security was originally a GOP creation, and now they're the ones getting paranoid about it? How ironic.
Hey if the republicans want to trim the size of government and propose trimming DHS generally and eliminating TSA entirely I would back them up.

Nobody in power wants to be the one to reduce security theater though. If something actually happened afterword you are done (regardless of whether the theater would have stopped it to begin with)
Edit: it's the post 9-11 equivalent of being "soft on crime".

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Hillary wouldn't stab anyone.

She just watches a live video feed of you being stabbed, as does nothing about it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
It's okay, guys. Like Rubio, Ryan's mom is on medicare so it's totally cool.

By the way, random question, but what do you guys think of the Newsroom? I feel like I should like it, but everyone, especially the lead guy, comes off as utterly insufferable. (and I say that as one of the few people here who's still a fan of Keith Olbermann).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's okay, guys. Like Rubio, Ryan's mom is on medicare so it's totally cool.

By the way, random question, but what do you guys think of the Newsroom? I feel like I should like it, but everyone, especially the lead guy, comes off as utterly insufferable. (and I say that as one of the few people here who's still a fan of Keith Olbermann).

I feel like it has it's good episodes and it's bad episodes. There were a few that I like but a bunch I didn't. I'm sort of hoping they figure it out in the next season because it should be good.

Snake

It is a bad show.

Aaron Sorkin has frightening issues with women and he should be prevented from writing them. Otherwise he can usually put together some powerful television even if he presents the political world in a simplistic way.

Unfortunately, The Newsroom is at its core about the the relationship between Jeff Daniels and Emily Mortimer. This dynamic seeps into almost every onscreen moment, including the actual in-universe news broadcasts (which would otherwise probably be good television). Every other character serves as an extension of Sorkin's relationship issues, and are all drawn from his life experience in a way intended both to show off how sorry he is for wronging people in his past and at the same time show off how stupid they all were for wronging him. You are completely right in thinking the characters are insufferable.

The exception being Sam Waterston. Sam Waterston can do no wrong.

Chichikov

I feel like it has it's good episodes and it's bad episodes. There were a few that I like but a bunch I didn't. I'm sort of hoping they figure it out in the next season because it should be good.
I don't like it, but I don't like Sorkin in general (I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing me bitching about the West Wing).
Y'all should watch The Americans, best show on TV right now.

Chichikov

I would agree with this. However, so as to avoid courting controversy (American Liberalism™), I would say it is the best *new* show on TV right now.
There is a weakness in the people here, I can feel it.
Of course you would like that show, Chichikov!
I think it's the first time period TV show from an era I remember, I thought it would bum me out, but I fucking love it.
They picked the perfect year too.

p.s.
Cellphones truly ruined everything.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't like it, but I don't like Sorkin in general (I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing me bitching about the West Wing).
Y'all should watch The Americans, best show on TV right now.

I meant that the premise is good. A group of journalists trying to do the best news show they can in a world of lazy journalism and obsession over rating and appearing unbiased. I just feel like a show like this should be far better than it actually is. I think there were all of three episodes I didn't roll my eyes at the whole way through.

Piecake

Rule three: Sand down the party’s rough edges. Pass education bills and immigration legislation. Stop screaming about red ink and spending too much. This one is going to be tough, since House Republicans haven’t been able to pass a bill called the Violence Against Woman Act for more than a year.

From the politico article

Does this mean we might actually get pre-k? IF so, I'd upgrade the GOP from devil spawn incarnate to filthy pond scum

Piecake

"Pass education bills" probably means charter school stuff.

fuck, i forgot about that shit :(

Conservatism will never be "cool." It's the nature of conservatism. The ideology of crotchety old fucks who don't want anything to change is not cool.

What are you talking about. Anti-gay marriage, anti-abortion, anti-science, anti-legal weed is real cool dude.

Actually, if they want to look cool, the first thing they need to do is drop social conservatism. The rest is workable

From the politico article

Does this mean we might actually get pre-k? IF so, I'd upgrade the GOP from devil spawn incarnate to filthy pond scum

It's something that would almost certainly pass if brought to the House floor, but the problem is that it likely won't even be voted on. And we don't know whether it's truly on the WH agenda or whether it's a dream for 2014 turnout (like the minimum wage). It didn't take long for republicans to muddy the issue (gifts, government pre-k, etc).

Piecake

It's something that would almost certainly pass if brought to the House floor, but the problem is that it likely won't even be voted on. And we don't know whether it's truly on the WH agenda or whether it's a dream for 2014 turnout (like the minimum wage). It didn't take long for republicans to muddy the issue (gifts, government pre-k, etc).

Obama has a pretty specific plan for pre-k. It seems rather unlikely that they would do that if it was simply a 2014 voter turnout thing. Plus, whether or not it is good policy, I think pre-k is a lot less muddied issue than minimum wage.

I do not see minimum wage passing because the rebuttal actually makes sense if you dont look at the data. Pre-k? The only argument against it is government gifts. Well, sign me up for a government gift that will boost our economy in the short term and will povide a 7-10% return on our investment over the long term

His shtick is already old. Soon enough, no one is going to care about anything he has to say.

But the people who sent him will care. He's only there to obstruct, cause a scene, and vote no. Seems like DeMint was the only tea party senator who actually wanted to lead and get some things done; everyone else is just there to piggy bank

Link

The Autumn Wind
But the people who sent him will care. He's only there to obstruct, cause a scene, and vote no. Seems like DeMint was the only tea party senator who actually wanted to lead and get some things done; everyone else is just there to piggy bank
He's already got members of his own party inching away from him. His influence will be next to nothing in no time. A screaming baby may be annoying, but it's not going to accomplish anything if no one wants to supply a bottle.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

DeMint? Eh...

Piecake

David Brooks orgasms over Obama's Pre-K initiative

Damn, this is actually getting me hopeful

So far the news is very good. Obama is trying to significantly increase the number of kids with access to early education. The White House will come up with a dedicated revenue stream that will fund early education projects without adding to the deficit. These federal dollars will be used to match state spending, giving states, many of whom want to move aggressively, further incentive to expand and create programs.

But Washington’s main role will be to measure outcomes, not determine the way states design their operations. Washington will insist that states establish good assessment tools. They will insist that pre-K efforts align with the K-12 system. But beyond that, states will have a lot of latitude.

Should early education centers be integrated with K-12 school buildings or not? Should the early childhood teachers be unionized or certified? Obama officials say they want to leave those sorts of questions up to state experimentation. “I’m just about building quality,” Education Secretary Arne Duncan told me. The goal is to make the federal oversight as simple as possible.

That’s crucial. There’s still a lot we don’t know about how to educate children that young. The essential thing is to build systems that can measure progress, learn and adapt to local circumstances. Over time, many children will migrate from Head Start into state programs.

This is rude to say, but here’s what this is about: Millions of parents don’t have the means, the skill or, in some cases, the interest in building their children’s future. Early childhood education is about building structures so both parents and children learn practical life skills. It’s about getting kids from disorganized homes into rooms with kids from organized homes so good habits will rub off. It’s about instilling achievement values where they are absent.

President Obama has taken on a big challenge in a realistic and ambitious way. If Republicans really believe in opportunity and local control, they will get on board.

All of the bolded stuff should appeal to republicans. If that is what it takes to get it passed, fine by me. I really dont find the bolded segments objectionable

I'm curious about that revenue stream though. is it a new tax or an already existing one that is going to be re-appropriated?

Going by this PBS Almanac (Minnesota local news) segment, a same sex marriage bill this term seems very likely. Bill likely to be introduced in a week
Like i've said before, i think the politics are too muddy for gay marriage to be passed in Minnesota right now. But if a bill is brought up, hell yes i support its passage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom