• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really entertaining to watch the Ohio GOP backlash against Kasich for agreeing to the Medicare expansion.

God, the 2014 gubernatorial race is going to be something else. Part of me wouldn't be shocked if Kasich decides not to run for reelection, though I don't know if his ego could stand for it.

Gotchaye

The standard explanation I've always heard is that European labor regulations are much more strict. I know that in France it can be extremely hard to fire someone. Businesses may be unwilling to hire unless sure that they're going to need someone for a while. Unions are often much stronger and it may be harder for wages to adjust downwards in recessions.

Also note that the US incarcerates about .75% of its adult population compared to around .1% for a lot of European countries and Canada. Many of our inmates would otherwise be needing work; we don't jail many 65+ year olds.

Edit: I should add that the US caught up to Europe's unemployment in 2008 or 2009. There's some reason to think that all looser labor laws do is increase the variance of unemployment. The US is back below Europe now, but I think everyone realizes that this is because of how terrible a job Europe has done responding to economic conditions on the ground. Also note that US unemployment is higher than that in several EU countries which had higher unemployment rates before the financial crisis; this is some evidence that European economies are simply smoothing things out.

Fifty-four percent of poll respondents favor postponing $1.2 trillion in automatic spending cuts during the next nine years beginning on March 1, compared with 40 percent who say Congress should act now before the deficit gets out of control, in the poll conducted Feb. 15-18.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...spending-cut-delay-amid-budget-deal-push.html

KICK THAT CAN BABY!

At least the public know about reali...

At the same time, the size and trajectory of the U.S. deficit is poorly understood by most Americans, with 62 percent saying it’s getting bigger, 28 percent saying it’s staying about the same this year, and just 6 percent saying it’s shrinking. The Congressional Budget Office reported Feb. 6 that the federal budget deficit is getting smaller, falling to $845 billion this year -- the first time in five years that the gap between taxes and spending will be less than $1 trillion.

Americans also have a skewed picture of what drives federal spending.

At least half correctly pegged defense programs, Social Security and Medicare and Medicaid -- both of which comprise about one fifth of the federal budget -- as accounting for at least 20 percent of federal spending. Yet almost a third of respondents say the same about education -- which actually comprises 2 percent of the budget -- and foreign aid -- which registers at just 1 percent of federal spending. Almost 40 percent of respondents say the social safety net, including food stamps and jobless benefits, make up at least a fifth of the federal budget; in fact, such programs amount to about 13 percent of total spending.

Oh...

Acheron

Banned
And conservatives in the commentary section are dogpiling on him.

Not really, The American Conservative has relatively few crazy types because it has always advocated Northeast Rockefeller republicanism, with a few articles every once in a while for the libertarians and value voters. Never seen a neocon piece though.

Gotchaye

Is there a reason, other than corruption, that the government doesn't require businesses that it contracts with to assume a large share of the risks of the project failing to meet expectations? I don't think I understand how the bidding process works.

This usually comes up with big construction projects, but here too. Why wasn't the contract "Lockheed Martin to provide N fighter jets that meet requirements A, B, and C in 5 years in exchange for $X/year for 5 years"? Then when LM fails to meet its half of the bargain, the government can recover damages.

Is there a reason, other than corruption, that the government doesn't require businesses that it contracts with to assume a large share of the risks of the project failing to meet expectations? I don't think I understand how the bidding process works.

This usually comes up with big construction projects, but here too. Why wasn't the contract "Lockheed Martin to provide N fighter jets that meet requirements A, B, and C in 5 years in exchange for $X/year for 5 years". Then when LM fails to meet its half of the bargain, the government can recover damages.

Lobbying i'd imagine. Its disgusting that the government can't demand better results. Look at medicare part d a give-a-way to private companies. Pretty much a pure wealth transfer of public money to private hands.

Tamanon

Banned
I decided to scale back my political intake when I saw the response to the Obama Immigration plan. That told me everything I need to know for the next year or so.

FLEABttn

Banned

This usually comes up with big construction projects, but here too. Why wasn't the contract "Lockheed Martin to provide N fighter jets that meet requirements A, B, and C in 5 years in exchange for $X/year for 5 years"? Then when LM fails to meet its half of the bargain, the government can recover damages.

You're speaking my language kind of. It really depends on the kind of contract that was issued and the requirements therein. Also depends on if the SOW/PWS was solid or kind of squishy.

Anyone else taking a break from paying attention to whats happening politically? It's too depressing.

I actually emailed my congressman and both senators for the first time in a while after reading that "Bitter Pill" healthcare article.

I live in Texas though, so I'm not expecting much of a response, lol

EK: On that point, one theme in your column, and in a lot of columns these days, is this idea that the president should, on the one hand, be putting forward centrist policies, and on the other hand, that if he’s putting forward policies that the Republican Party won’t agree to, those policies don’t count, as they’re nothing more than political ploys. But while I agree that some level of political realism should enter into any White House’s calculations, it seems a bit dangerous and strange to say the boundaries of the discussion should be set by the agenda that lost the last election.

DB: In my ideal world, the Obama administration would do something Clintonesque: They’d govern from the center; they’d have a budget policy that looked a lot more like what Robert Rubin would describe, and if the Republicans rejected that, moderates like me would say that’s awful, the White House really did come out with a centrist plan.

EK: But I’ve read Robert Rubin’s tax plan. He wants $1.8 trillion in new revenues. The White House, these days, is down to $1.2 trillion. I’m with Rubin on this one, but given our two political parties, the White House’s offer seems more centrist. And you see this a lot. People say the White House should do something centrist like Simpson-Bowles, even though their plan has less in tax hikes and less in defense cuts. So it often seems like a no-win for them.

DB: My first reaction is I’m not a huge fan of Simpson-Bowles anymore; I used to be. Among others, you persuaded me the tax reform scheme in theirs is not the best. Simpson-Bowles just doesn’t do enough on entitlements, For sensible reasons, they took health care more or less off the table. I don’t know where Rubin is right now. I held him up as an exemplar of Democratic centrism, but if he had a big tax increase and entitlement reform, I’d be for that.

There are times when I think the White House offered Republicans plans they were crazy not to take. I wrote that in 2011. And I hope Republicans look back on that as a gigantic missed opportunity. So I agree with you they shouldn’t be given veto power over the debate, but I still think that if you look at what moderates want the administration to do, they have not gone far enough.

LOL. David Brooks so bad.

Who exactly are they going to recover damages from? L-M? Pretty much the only one paying L-M is the government. L-M will just go bankrupt.

We create a bit of a fiction with private defense contractors . . . but if your only significant customer is the government then how are you really different than being the government? (Besides getting to pay yourselves much higher salaries and give yourself stock.)

Kicking a can was what kids did when they were doing nothing.
Maybe . . . but that doesn't really get across the image of procrastinating on a big decision.

Gotchaye

Who exactly are they going to recover damages from? L-M? Pretty much the only one paying L-M is the government. L-M will just go bankrupt.

We create a bit of a fiction with private defense contractors . . . but if your only significant customer is the government then how are you really different than being the government? (Besides getting to pay yourselves much higher salaries and give yourself stock.)

But they do have competition. The whole point of using contractors is that several companies - here I imagine LM's primary competitor was Boeing - can give an estimate for a project and that that will enable the government to achieve its objective more efficiently than trying to do the same thing directly. However, if the government can't rely on a contractor's estimate, then there's not really a market there, except in terms of past performance under different management. There's something to the idea of low-bid contracting, but it only works if the lowest bid is likely to be the one that ends up costing the least.

Like I said, I usually scratch my head over this kind of thing when construction projects go over budget, but I do think it applies here too. Yeah, we wouldn't want the damages to be such that LM goes out of business, but LM needs to face some penalty for being so badly wrong (provided that's what happened and this isn't a case of the government changing up its requirements late in the process). Contractors need to have incentives to finish their projects on time and under budget.

These companies have stock. Maybe they should have to post an ownership stake in the company as collateral which the government can start selling off to help defray cost overruns.

lol, yep. I'll probably get a form letter response, but it'd be awesome if someone on his staff actually read it.

I imagine my "why don't we just open up medicare to everyone?" proposal wouldn't go over to well with them though.

His legislative correspondent for whatever the topic is - along with probably an intern - will read it. The LC will be the one responsible for giving you a reply, though chances are it'll be pretty generic

Granted, you probably won't get it for a few weeks - I intern in a Senate office in a significantly smaller state population-wise compared to Texas and we routinely get over 5,000 pieces of physical mail of week (not even counting emails or faxes). Last week we got 11k

Gotchaye

Finally: http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/02/house-republicans-vawa.php
House Republicans released their version of the Violence Against Women Act on Friday and are poised to fast-track it to a floor vote next Tuesday during a Rules Committee hearing.

The House GOP’s legislation doesn’t go as far as the reauthorization that passed the Senate on an overwhelming bipartisan vote earlier this month. It reflects some movement in that direction but falls short of a breakthrough on the central disputes that scuttled reauthorization of VAWA last year, namely, coverage for gay, Native American and illegal immigrant women. Democrats quickly rejected the bill and advocates against domestic violence expressed concerns with it.

Substance aside, it's amazing that it took them this long to come out with a bill that demonstrates that they're not pro- violence against women. You can't kill a broadly popular bill over one provision unless people trust that you actually want to get most of the bill passed.

Connecticut State Rep. Debralee Hovey (R-112) isn't waiting to read the conclusion. Hovey, whose district includes parts of Newtown, introduced House Bill 5735, establishing what she calls a "10% sin tax" on violent video games (those with a rating of "M", intended for consumers 17 and above).
So playing a game is a 'sin'? And WTF . . . why not tax the fucking guns? Little plastic CDs are not killing anyone.

Piecake

I'm in Texas too, the only thing I'd be willing to send Ted Cruz is hate mail, but then again that wouldn't be very constructive, kudos for trying though, let's see what they say

Guarantee he will get a stock email thanking him for his interest.

I sent Al Franken an email once on some policy issue (forgot). What did i get out of my time? A stock email and got stuck on his mailing list. Totally not worth it

LOL. David Brooks so bad.
Seriously.
I don’t know where Rubin is right now. I held him up as an exemplar of Democratic centrism, but if he had a big tax increase and entitlement reform, I’d be for that.
Right after:
In my ideal world, the Obama administration would do something (...) that looked a lot more like what Robert Rubin would describe
Maybe I'm missing something but my brain is melting.
So playing a game is a 'sin'?
So shooting a virtual gun is a sin, but shooting an actual gun is... freedom? These people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom