• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPAC%2Bspeakers.png

http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/02/20/the-...eeking-a-fresh-new-start-invites-mitt-romney/

Good to see that the rebranding phase is going over so well!

codhand

hacksaw jim duggan was the OG jack swag.
images

jack swagger, should just use hulk hogan's theme song but italicize the "real American" part

Doubling down on stupid. Only Gingrich is sensible, and that depends on which version of Gingrich you get for that particular day.

Seriously, idealogically there is no diversity there, it'll be all far right nonsense plus Romney's sorry shit.

Not really a doubling down. I think this is like the 5th time now. More "doubling down" of this stupidity than Laker season restarts.

Gotchaye

Doubling down on stupid. Only Gingrich is sensible, and that depends on which version of Gingrich you get for that particular day.

Seriously, idealogically there is no diversity there, it'll be all far right nonsense plus Romney's sorry shit.

If not for Palin, I wouldn't be able to fault the conference organizers here. The speakers do basically represent the diversity that actually exists within the Republican party.

Paul is a fake libertarian, Gingrich is the corrupt lifer, West is the ex-military nut, Santorum is the social conservative, Lapierre is guns, and Romney is the businessman.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Either Piers Morgan's Twitter got hacked or CNN may need a new host soon enough...on my phone or I'd link.

Nevermind, some moron retweeted from September.

The fresh new faces of conservatism!

Wow. At least 5 of those are totally toxic and could never get elected to national office except from deep red territory.

1 gun manufacture lobbyist
3 people that lost their most recent elections (West, Santorum, Romney)
2 people that quit office somewhat in shame (Palin & Newt)
1 person that actually holds office. In deep red territory.

I'd love for Rand to get the nomination. He's the perfect candidate to ensure republicans face a Goldwater-esque electoral implosion that the true believers won't be able to spin or dismiss; I suppose Santorum would fit the bill too, but he has some redeeming qualities (support for manufacturing) whereas Paul has none from a domestic perspective. He wouldn't water down his bullshit, he was born to fall on his sword.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I hope Allen West runs in 2016.
Just the fact that Allen West, an extreme right-wing conspiracy nut Tea Partier that couldn't get past his first term in the House, is a speaker says all you need to know about how the GOP is going about "rebranding."

I'd love for Rand to get the nomination. He's the perfect candidate to ensure republicans face a Goldwater-esque electoral implosion that the true believers won't be able to spin or dismiss; I suppose Santorum would fit the bill too, but he has some redeeming qualities (support for manufacturing) whereas Paul has none from a domestic perspective. He wouldn't water down his bullshit, he was born to fall on his sword.
He announced on Fox News last weekend that he's seriously considering running as a Libertarian. Which is even better, because it's just going to split the vote.

codhand

the only republicans left, would have to compromise their ideologies a metric shit ton. after the karl rove meltdown, i really think that the bubble wasnt so much burst, as it was simply put on display. meaning a bubble that big doesnt pop, maybe just leaks out air until flat, hopefully..

So if sequestration goes through, will democrats regret only pushing it off during cliff negotiations? This is probably like asking if Harry Reid regrets not forcing filibuster reform after this recent Hagel mess.

So if sequestration goes through, will democrats regret only pushing it off during cliff negotiations? This is probably like asking if Harry Reid regrets not forcing filibuster reform after this recent Hagel mess.

No. It's much harder to get tax hikes than spending increases. And it would have hurt the economy worse.

The GOP will still be blamed for the sequester because they refuse on closing tax loopholes which is something most people want.

No. It's much harder to get tax hikes than spending increases. And it would have hurt the economy worse.

The GOP will still be blamed for the sequester because they refuse on closing tax loopholes which is something most people want.

Not buying it. It could easily cause a recession, and presidents tend to get blamed for those.

I hope you're right. The whole reason the fiscal cliff was so perilous was because of the spending cuts. Getting tax increases to simply push the perilous cuts down the street two months seems like a hollow win to me. I would rather no tax increases and spending increases if I had the choice. This is obviously if I were given a choice between that and increased taxes and spending cuts.

I hope you're right. The whole reason the fiscal cliff was so perilous was because of the spending cuts. Getting tax increases to simply push the perilous cuts down the street two months seems like a hollow win to me. I would rather no tax increases and spending increases if I had the choice.

The GOP won't be able to sit on their ass for long with $50 billion per year in defense spending cuts. They'll move at some point in the near future. May take a little time but it will happen.

Ideally, they will agree to spending cuts down the road which never materialize.

If not for Palin, I wouldn't be able to fault the conference organizers here. The speakers do basically represent the diversity that actually exists within the Republican party.

Paul is a fake libertarian, Gingrich is the corrupt lifer, West is the ex-military nut, Santorum is the social conservative, Lapierre is guns, and Romney is the businessman.

You have to have Palin. Most sentai teams have one girl.

Acheron

Banned
Marriage Equality Is a Conservative Cause
By JON HUNTSMAN • February 21, 2013

The party of Theodore Roosevelt and Ronald Reagan has now lost the popular vote in five of the last six presidential elections. The marketplace of ideas will render us irrelevant, and soon, if we are not honest about our time and place in history. Unfortunately, much of the discussion has focused on cosmetic solutions to, say, our underperformance among ethnic and young voters. This is a mistake: we cannot cross this river by feeling for stones. Instead, we need to take a hard look at what today’s conservatism stands for.

Conservatives can start by examining how Republicans working with Democrats have governed in several successful states, including Utah; free-market-based healthcare reform, tax reform that eliminated deductions and closed loopholes to bring down rates, and practical education reforms that spoke to 21st-century realities.

Instead of using immigration reform as a wedge issue, like many leaders in Washington, Utah passed legislation to help manage immigration based on our real economic needs. If conservatives come to the table with solutions that put our communities first, it will go a long way toward winning elections.

But it’s difficult to get people even to consider your reform ideas if they think, with good reason, you don’t like or respect them. Building a winning coalition to tackle the looming fiscal and trust deficits will be impossible if we continue to alienate broad segments of the population. We must be happy warriors who refuse to tolerate those who want Hispanic votes but not Hispanic neighbors. We should applaud states that lead on reforming drug policy. And, consistent with the Republican Party’s origins, we must demand equality under the law for all Americans.

While serving as governor of Utah, I pushed for civil unions and expanded reciprocal benefits for gay citizens. I did so not because of political pressure—indeed, at the time 70 percent of Utahns were opposed—but because as governor my role was to work for everybody, even those who didn’t have access to a powerful lobby. Civil unions, I believed, were a practical step that would bring all citizens more fully into the fabric of a state they already were—and always had been—a part of.

That was four years ago. Today we have an opportunity to do more: conservatives should start to lead again and push their states to join the nine others that allow all their citizens to marry. I’ve been married for 29 years. My marriage has been the greatest joy of my life. There is nothing conservative about denying other Americans the ability to forge that same relationship with the person they love.

All Americans should be treated equally by the law, whether they marry in a church, another religious institution, or a town hall. This does not mean that any religious group would be forced by the state to recognize relationships that run counter to their conscience. Civil equality is compatible with, and indeed promotes, freedom of conscience.

Marriage is not an issue that people rationalize through the abstract lens of the law; rather it is something understood emotionally through one’s own experience with family, neighbors, and friends. The party of Lincoln should stand with our best tradition of equality and support full civil marriage for all Americans.

This is both the right thing to do and will better allow us to confront the real choice our country is facing: a choice between the Founders’ vision of a limited government that empowers free markets, with a level playing field giving opportunity to all, and a world of crony capitalism and rent-seeking by the most powerful economic interests.

Adam Smith was not only an architect of the modern world of extraordinary economic opportunity, he was a moralist whose first book was The Theory of Moral Sentiments. The foundation of his thought was his insight that free markets and open commerce strengthened our moral fiber by reinforcing the community of shared and reciprocal economic interests. Government, he thought, had to be limited lest it be captured and corrupted by special business interests who wanted protection from competition and the reciprocal requirements of community.

We are at a crossroads. I believe the American people will vote for free markets under equal rules of the game—because there is no opportunity or job growth any other way. But the American people will not hear us out if we stand against their friends, family, and individual liberty.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/marriage-equality-is-a-conservative-cause485/

Damn, Huntsman wants to run again.

He won't run as a Republican again. As an independent, perhaps, he certainly has the money

It's too bad Utah's Senate seats are pretty much filled unless Orrin Hatch dies - if Huntsman is still as popular there as he was when he was Governor he could win easily and work to change the party that way

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So I was watching Morning Joe today and Scarborough was once again pushing his deficit bullshit but was getting beat back by (surprisingly) Steny Hoyer. Hoyer was doing a pretty good job, and even called out all the deficits created under Reagan that no Republican seems to give a shit about. Scarborough then did some calculations on-air (seriously) and said that the even adjusting for inflation, Reagan's deficits were never as high as Obama's.

Now this is getting pretty deep in the economic weeds here, but it's hard for me to believe that's the case. Reagan after all, tripled the DEBT by the time he was finished in office, which I think would be a much better way to compare the two. Obama's only increased it by 50% so far, and may just end up doubling it by the end of his term, which would still be quite short of what Reagan did.

Of course, I'm not one of them economyologists with their fancy college DEE-grees, but am I wrong on my criticisms?

pigeon

Banned

The best thing about this graph is the immigration bit, since, once again, Obama's plan and Rubio's plan are the same! This is a complete no-win issue for the GOP at this point -- anything good that happens will be Obama's to take credit for, anything bad will be assumed to be Republican obstructionism. Politics, everybody!

Gotchaye

So I was watching Morning Joe today and Scarborough was once again pushing his deficit bullshit but was getting beat back by (surprisingly) Steny Hoyer. Hoyer was doing a pretty good job, and even called out all the deficits created under Reagan that no Republican seems to give a shit about. Scarborough then did some calculations on-air (seriously) and said that the even adjusting for inflation, Reagan's deficits were never as high as Obama's.

Now this is getting pretty deep in the economic weeds here, but it's hard for me to believe that's the case. Reagan after all, tripled the DEBT by the time he was finished in office, which I think would be a much better way to compare the two. Obama's only increased it by 50% so far, and may just end up doubling it by the end of his term, which would still be quite short of what Reagan did.

Of course, I'm not one of them economyologists with their fancy college DEE-grees, but am I wrong on my criticisms?

Yes, I think so. Why is the absolute amount of debt outstanding when a president takes office relevant to gauging his performance? Interest payments, I guess, but those aren't a huge part of what's going on, and anyway interest rates have been extremely low as long as Obama's been in office.

If a president took office with $1 of debt, and added $10 to that over 8 years in office, that would be a huge percentage increase, but no one should care about that.

Also inflation may matter here. Do we care about debt or debt as a percentage of GDP? Looks to me like Debt-to-GDP went from about 35% to 55% under Reagan. That difference - 20% - seems to me to be the best number to use in comparisons, to the extent that such comparisons can be meaningful. Maybe Debt-to-Potential-GDP would be better?

Disclaimer: Not an endorsement of short-term deficit reduction.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/Historicals

See Table 1.2

Reagan's deficits as percent of GDP:

1982 -4.0
1983 -6.0
1984 -4.8
1985 -5.1
1986 -5.0
1987 -3.2
1988 -3.1

Obama's deficits as percent of GDP:

2010 -9.0
2011 -8.7

But I think this a silly thing to compare anyway given that (1) presidents have no real control over their budgets and (2) the larger deficit number is most likely to be the one better for society. Indeed, Obama's deficit numbers are far too low given the circumstances of the time.

We shouldn't get into arguments with Republicans about which party is better at keeping deficits low, we should get into arguments with Republicans about which party is better at keeping them appropriately high.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Yes, I think so. Why is the absolute amount of debt outstanding when a president takes office relevant to gauging his performance? Interest payments, I guess, but those aren't a huge part of what's going on, and anyway interest rates have been extremely low as long as Obama's been in office.

Well, I wasn't trying to say that debt is related to once performance, and I do think that the breakdown of debt is very important, but I was simply trying to make a proper apples to apples comparison on total debt between Reagan and Obama.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/Historicals

See Table 1.2

Reagan's deficits as percent of GDP:

1982 -4.0
1983 -6.0
1984 -4.8
1985 -5.1
1986 -5.0
1987 -3.2
1988 -3.1

Obama's deficits as percent of GDP:

2010 -9.0
2011 -8.7

But I think this a silly thing to compare anyway given that (1) presidents have no real control over their budgets and (2) the larger deficit number is most likely to be the one better for society. Indeed, Obama's deficit numbers are far too low given the circumstances of the time.

We shouldn't get into arguments with Republicans about which party is better at keeping deficits low, we should get into arguments with Republicans about which party is better at keeping them appropriately high.

Hmm, seems those numbers make sense considering Reagan had a faster growing economy than Obama. But of course that's debt as a percentage of GDP. My original question was whether it's a better measure to use the total amount of debt based on how much debt the president originally started with?

Hmm, seems those numbers make sense considering Reagan had a faster growing economy than Obama. But of course that's debt as a percentage of GDP. My original question was whether it's a better measure to use the total amount of debt based on how much debt the president originally started with?

Yeah, I know, but I was addressing the correctness of Scarborough's assertion that Reagan's deficits were never as high as Obama's even adjusting for inflation. Of course, I had to modify it to deficits as a percent of GDP because Scarborough is a fucking moron. You can't compare deficit amounts across time as raw numbers (even taking inflation into account), because they have meaning only in connection with the real economy, which is not static but grows over time. If you could, then one could say that Obama's deficit in constant 1995 dollars ($1,153 billion) was greater than Roosevelt's deficit in constant 1995 dollars during WWII ($531 billion). That's true, but meaningless. Roosevelt's deficit as a percent of GDP was at its height three times Obama's.

And American society was rewarded with unparalleled economic prosperity for it!

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Add to that rising medical costs which constitutes a lot of that spending.

The country certainly has a lot more fat old people than in 1981, and they're getting fatter and older. So if I were to argue about debt during the Obama presidency versus that during the Reagan presidency, I would say "fat old people" and leave it at that.

So I had to attend a public discussion on gun violence at my college campus today for my political science class. When they got to Q&A at the end, a lot of people kept bringing up "enforcing the current gun laws," so I decided, fuck it, I'll weigh in, and brought up that Daily Show segment from a few weeks ago and detailed some of the ways that the NRA has successfully lobbied congress to prevent the ATF from enforcing those laws (like by not having a director for the past 6 years).

A gun-nut proceeded to go off on me. We went back and forth a few times and I kept my cool until he started drifting into crazy land, bringing up Mexican drug cartels and Fast and Furious and bunch of other Fox News talking points irrelevant to my argument and the host stepped in and stopped him. Afterwards as I was leaving to head to my next class a couple people from the local news asked me for an interview lol.

Awesome.

Looking at deficits is a nonsequitor.

Reagan's deficits were created by a direct increase is gov't spending and reduction in taxes.

Obama's deficits are the result of reduced tax revenues from a depressed economy he inherited and mostly an increase in indirect spending (auto welfare triggers and aging population).

In fact, Obama has barely contributed to the deficit at all.

If we're going to assume deficits matter then we at least have to recognize what's driving them.

Looking at deficits is a nonsequitor.

Reagan's deficits were created by a direct increase is gov't spending and reduction in taxes.

Obama's deficits are the result of reduced tax revenues from a depressed economy he inherited and mostly an increase in indirect spending (auto welfare triggers and aging population).

In fact, Obama has barely contributed to the deficit at all.

If we're going to assume deficits matter then we at least have to recognize what's driving them.

Agreed. The stimulus is the only new spending I can think of that Obama has presided over. And that was necessitated by the economy. Of course, it's a bad thing that Obama has not contributed to the deficit beyond that, given its utter insufficiency to restore economic activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom