• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chichikov

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/the-pentagons-new-trillion-dollar-jet-is-a-garbage-can

If only sequestion could've cut this trainwreck.

Even as a member of the AF, that shit depresses the fuck outta me.
I don't know why we need another trillion dollar manned jet program, but at the same time, the greatest planes ever made were trashed by experts during their development process, so take such things with a grain of salt.

What we need is a public discussion about that program, an open and honest congressional hearing seem like the best fit.

I don't know why we need another trillion dollar manned jet program, but at the same time, the greatest planes ever made were trashed by experts during their development process, so take such things with a grain of salt.

What we need is a public discussion about that program, an open and honest congressional hearing seem like the best fit.

The Congress and Joint Chiefs during Clinton's administration is the primary reason why the jet is such a disaster. They thought that having a plane that can do everything for three branches that serve different roles on the battlefield would save costs. The EXACT opposite happened.

Apparently, they didn't learn from history when the Navy gave the Air Force the F-4 phantom during the Vietnam war.

Had the F-35 been Air Force and US only, not only would the jet be flying today, but it would've been possibly on par with the F-22 and we could've retired the F-16 and F-15 four years ago.

Now due to idiotic decisions made fifteen years ago, we're going to be stuck with planes that can't be upgraded outside of their avionics and are going to be DOA on future air-wars because they lack the stealth to hide from anti-air missiles systems that are increasingly becoming popular in any potential advesary the US *might* face in the future.

Any F-15 or 16 pilot would be sent on suicide missions, essentially.

Gotchaye

Because if you ask a question to 3 economists you'll get 5 different answers. Why didn't the economists predict the financial melt-down? You can say "well some did" but what good is that if they are a minority voice? How do you know which ones to listen to?

There are certainly some fundamental concepts in economics that are correct and useful but those are ones that are basically intuitive and no big deal. But when it gets into the complex stuff, they have no clue as to what they are talking about and don't even agree with each other. They are like doctors putting leeches on things for a good bleeding to cure you.

Economics has problems, but to say that the things it gets right are "basically intuitive and no big deal" is unfair. We find some economic claims intuitive or obvious only because intellectual progress has been made in the field. Not many of Smith's contemporaries read what he was writing and dismissed it as obvious. People were terrified of leaving the gold standard. Many were convinced that the Soviet model of comprehensive central planning made all kinds of sense. Keynes wasn't just saying what everyone already knew. The obvious comparison is to physics just before Newton. Newton clearly built on Descartes' work, but Descartes' physics postulated the conservation of speed! He even did experiments purporting to demonstrate this, and at one point he makes the claim that if you had a large body absolutely at rest a smaller body, no matter how fast, would be totally unable to move it via collision. That's just ridiculously wrongheaded to any modern high school graduate, but conservation of momentum is not actually "intuitive and no big deal". It's a huge deal. That it's intuitive now just speaks to the usefulness of education.

I think that, in general, there's more disagreement in economic just because there's more money involved. A huge amount of what the government does is aimed at having some sort of economic effect; there are strong political incentives to be able to produce an economist who agrees with you. Plus many people who can reasonably be supposed to have better than average economic understanding have very strong self-interested reasons to prefer particular policies. Climate science isn't nearly as relevant to the public debate, and there's a lot less money involved.

I think that, in general, there's more disagreement in economic just because there's more money involved. A huge amount of what the government does is aimed at having some sort of economic effect; there are strong political incentives to be able to produce an economist who agrees with you. Plus many people who can reasonably be supposed to have better than average economic understanding have very strong self-interested reasons to prefer particular policies. Climate science isn't nearly as relevant to the public debate, and there's a lot less money involved.

I think this is all correct. Economics is a science. It's just a hugely corrupt one due to the massive incentives created by the need for economic justification of particular policies preferred by the plutocracy. (I wasn't going to use 'plutocracy' but I just had to once the alliteration got going.) That said, the profession is, as a whole, better than one might think if one only paid attention to media, which tends to promote elite interests (and hence amplifies the segment of the economics profession that is corrupted by those interests). For example, very few actual economists will disagree with the proposition that the stimulus helped job growth.

MMT (and post-Keynesianism more generally) is the next revolution in economics, mark my words. Neoclassical economists are dinosaurs. New Keynesians like Krugman aren't far behind the neoclassical economists.

Nert

There are more complications than this, but the biggest flaw with economics relative to the "hard" sciences is that you cannot repeatedly recreate the same experiment and gradually tweak variables to isolate the effects of each one. We can't have United States "A" exist as a control while also monitoring United States "B" and United States "C" (which would have, say, higher and lower income tax rates, respectively). This is why simple questions like "do lower tax rates lead to more growth" don't always have obvious answers; at different times in this country's history, higher tax rates and lower tax rates have both existed alongside high economic growth rates. You can't recreate 1950's America in a lab setting and lower the income tax rate to see if the country's rate of growth for that decade would change.

Having said that, there is a lot of consensus on many critical issues, and I still think that the field is more valuable than many give it credit for. Gotchaye's post above this does a good job of discussing that.

I don't think you can. Randall Wray: "Investment creates saving. Budget deficits create saving. You need the spending before you get the income that you then decide to save. The second step is to decide what form in which you want to save it. If [it were argued] that treasury debt might be preferred over corporate debt, then we’ve got a portfolio decision that could mean higher interest rates on corporate bonds. That, of course, depends on Treasury’s “debt management” strategy. However, as we know, budget deficits, all else equal, place downward pressure on overnight interest rates (relieved through government bond sales unless the Fed wants ZIRP—zero interest rate policy). So: a) deficits create saving, so cannot reduce the amount that “might go into useful private investment”; and b) deficits place downward pressure on interest rates, not upward pressure."

See also Bill Mitchell: http://bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/?p=381 (scroll down to "The Myth of Crowding Out" or just read the whole thing)

Gov't can. Very simple example:

Increase foreign aid + increase borrowing to cover it. This takes away from private investment to go somewhere that isn't domestic.

(that's not to say we shouldn't do foreign aid at the expense of some private investment loss, but that it can crowd out private investment if it's large enough)

Question about taxes. When a business is taxed its only on profit no? So why would taxes discourage someone? You can never "lose" money due to taxes just not make a hypothetical greater amount.

Am i missing something?

corporate taxes can change the reinvestment rate (and absolute number of course) as well as divert resources to accountants and lobbyists (because of how our tax systems) as well as affect dividends. But it shouldn't affect quantity and prices of goods/services.

No one was ever able to explain to me how taxation on profits impact hiring decisions.
People start saying shit like "risk", but I have tried to apply basic statistical modeling to it and it just doesn't add up.

They might decide to hire more accountants than workers, but that's about it.

Those that argue corporate taxes affect current employment simply don't understand how companies maximize profits. Firing a worker to respond to these taxes would reduce profits, not increase them.

But taking money away from reinvestment can affect future hiring. That said, with such low effective tax rates and such low borrowing costs generally, we aren't even seeing this except at maybe the small business level.

Agreed. After I hit submit, it occurred to me that scientific models are hard, too. Economics currently lacks the means (or will) to institute a scientific method.

Science relies on testability. Macroeconomists can't just take a country and be like "okay bitches, we're going to see what happens when we do policy we think will fuck you up" Well, unless you're England.

It can only analyze data from the past and try to overcome the immense omitted variable bias issues that can present itself. And unlike science, reality depends on human psychology which is not that predictable.

I don't think there's a lack of will. It's just not really feasible on the macro level. As chichikov points out, regression analysis is the attempt to solve the problem as best as it can (so there is a will). But it's naturally always going to be a mostly reactionary thing.

Economics has problems, but to say that the things it gets right are "basically intuitive and no big deal" is unfair. We find some economic claims intuitive or obvious only because intellectual progress has been made in the field. Not many of Smith's contemporaries read what he was writing and dismissed it as obvious. People were terrified of leaving the gold standard. Many were convinced that the Soviet model of comprehensive central planning made all kinds of sense. Keynes wasn't just saying what everyone already knew. The obvious comparison is to physics just before Newton. Newton clearly built on Descartes' work, but Descartes' physics postulated the conservation of speed! He even did experiments purporting to demonstrate this, and at one point he makes the claim that if you had a large body absolutely at rest a smaller body, no matter how fast, would be totally unable to move it via collision. That's just ridiculously wrongheaded to any modern high school graduate, but conservation of momentum is not actually "intuitive and no big deal". It's a huge deal. That it's intuitive now just speaks to the usefulness of education.

I agree with this. Economics is very intertwined with politics and it fucks shit up badly. I believe within academia, economics has a lot less dissension and they are more open to changing their minds with the right evidence than those outside of academia because of self-serving interests.

Just look at Mankiw. Dude made one argument against Obama and then 4 years later made the exact opposite argument against Obama because he now worked for Romney.

I think this is all correct. Economics is a science. It's just a hugely corrupt one due to the massive incentives created by the need for economic justification of particular policies preferred by the plutocracy. (I wasn't going to use 'plutocracy' but I just had to once the alliteration got going.) That said, the profession is, as a whole, better than one might think if one only paid attention to media, which tends to promote elite interests (and hence amplifies the segment of the economics profession that is corrupted by those interests). For example, very few actual economists will disagree with the proposition, for example, that the stimulus helped job growth.

MMT (and post-Keynesianism more generally) is the next revolution in economics, mark my words. Neoclassical economists are dinosaurs. New Keynesians like Krugman aren't far behind the neoclassical economists.

More likely what will happen is what it gets right will be incorporated and what it gets wrong will be tossed aside, like it generally happens.

Also I think it's more accurate to label it as a soft science.

Gov't can. Very simple example:

Increase foreign aid + increase borrowing to cover it. This takes away from private investment to go somewhere that isn't domestic.

(that's not to say we shouldn't do foreign aid at the expense of some private investment loss, but that it can crowd out private investment if it's large enough)

An exception that proves the rule, at least under current operating procedures. But not totally; after all, what do foreign countries do with the money given them by the US government? They often purchase US goods and services, so the money comes right back in!

Of course, anybody really concerned about the (mythical) "crowding out" of private investment by deficit spending can just advocate that the government de-link bond sales from deficit spending. If that were done, your example wouldn't fly under any circumstances, because you wouldn't need to sell bonds to cover it.

In reality, it is taxation/spending cuts--not deficit spending--that crowds out private investment by removing money from the economy. Deficit spending typically spurs it.

And Mankiw is a fraud. Just had to reiterate that.

An exception that proves the rule, at least under current operating procedures. But not totally; after all, what do foreign countries do with the money given them by the US government? They often purchase US goods and services, so the money comes right back in!

Of course, anybody really concerned about the (mythical) "crowding out" of private investment by deficit spending can just advocate that the government de-link bond sales from deficit spending. If that were done, your example wouldn't fly under any circumstances, because you wouldn't need to sell bonds to cover it.

In reality, it is taxation/spending cuts--not deficit spending--that crowds out private investment by removing money from the economy. Deficit spending typically spurs it.

And Mankiw is a fraud. Just had to reiterate that.

Well, he did ask for "government" crowding out, not "gov't spending," so tax raises is a good example. There are others, like the Fed making rates unnecessarily high which could do it. And as I mentioned there seems to be some evidence of it happening in the developing world but not really the modernized world.

I mentioned "increased borrowing" for a reason (to avoid your complaint that you made anyway!)

Also Exception that proves the rule means something else than what you used it for (just a FYI). I actually learned this one recently, myself. :p

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Because if you ask a question to 3 economists you'll get 5 different answers. Why didn't the economists predict the financial melt-down? You can say "well some did" but what good is that if they are a minority voice? How do you know which ones to listen to?

There are certainly some fundamental concepts in economics that are correct and useful but those are ones that are basically intuitive and no big deal. But when it gets into the complex stuff, they have no clue as to what they are talking about and don't even agree with each other. They are like doctors putting leeches on things for a good bleeding to cure you.

The medicinal uses of leeches and maggots are much better agreed upon, and understood.

Gotchaye

I think it's still fair to say that government spending can crowd out private investment; it's just that the effect is indirect. If you've got a healthy economy trucking along at nearly full capacity, additional (domestic) government spending is going to be inflationary unless countered by raising taxes or interest rates. And these are the natural responses to higher inflation in a healthy economy. To first order, there's a total level of demand which is appropriate, and, given that the government is going to spend more such that nominal demand would exceed (or maybe just come close to, in the real world) capacity, it is a good idea for the government to intentionally suppress private investment to control inflation.

I could definitely see this killing reform. Damn I would love to see what math Bush is looking at, because this doesn't make sense. I think it's safe to say he'll do better with Hispanics than Romney by default but that alone won't win him the White House.

I wonder what Rubio is thinking. Suddenly his position as sole GOP immigration point man is challenged by a safer alternative that will appeal to most conservatives.

I could definitely see this killing reform. Damn I would love to see what math Bush is looking at, because this doesn't make sense. I think it's safe to say he'll do better with Hispanics than Romney by default but that alone won't win him the White House.

I wonder what Rubio is thinking. Suddenly his position as sole GOP immigration point man is challenged by a safer alternative that will appeal to most conservatives.

I wonder about that now. A very charged and high profile time to flip on this issue. That could turn a lot of former supporters off.

Eric_S

No one was ever able to explain to me how taxation on profits impact hiring decisions.
People start saying shit like "risk", but I have tried to apply basic statistical modeling to it and it just doesn't add up.

From the little of what I remember from coprorate finance, risk is sorta another word for the standard deviation of value for an investment, no? The only applicable senario I can think of is the risk of overemploying when trying to capture marketshare, but intuetively that would be greater where the potential to make money bigger. ("Free money" ==> a rush on employing people in sector x, ==> lots of people overshoot and overpay their employees) But admittedly that is risk in the sense of uncertanty of future profits and not the standard deviation of value.

It could make employing a worker as opposed to investing in other things less attractive, since the NPV of the worker drops. Which unfortunatley isn't an easy calculation to make. Say that you invest in stocks (for example) while your competitor invests in machines and a few new workers and is now able to claim more latent sales and steamroll you in the process, and thus claim your market share too. Oops..

Owzers

" By Obama needing to be the campaigner in chief he succeeded in sabotaging our immigration reform talks. This president would rather have an issue to use in the midterm elections than fix the immigration crisis in America. "

I left out anything about "leadership" because this is the only time that people are complaining when Obama tries to lead on something.

Chichikov

From the little of what I remember from coprorate finance, risk is sorta another word for the standard deviation of value for an investment, no? The only applicable senario I can think of is the risk of overemploying when trying to capture marketshare, but intuetively that would be greater where the potential to make money bigger. ("Free money" ==> a rush on employing people in sector x, ==> lots of people overshoot and overpay their employees) But admittedly that is risk in the sense of uncertanty of future profits and not the standard deviation of value.

It could make employing a worker as opposed to investing in other things less attractive, since the NPV of the worker drops. Which unfortunatley isn't an easy calculation to make. Say that you invest in stocks (for example) while your competitor invests in machines and a few new workers and is now able to claim more latent sales and steamroll you in the process, and thus claim your market share too. Oops..
Yeah, I never managed to see a model that would explain it, it always start with things that sounds like real math, but the moment you poke at them ever so slightly people start with the hand waving and talking in abstract.

But economists tend to confuse observations with theories in general.

I'm getting more & more into Steven Keen's economics.

The entire profession of economics is a big fucking joke. It is more a division of politics than it is social science.

The most ridiculous part of it is how much people worship three letters: GDP. Does it predict the quality of life of a country? It roughly correlates and usually only matters when the gap is fairly significant ($40,000 GDP per capita vs $20,000). America has one of the highest GDP per capita in the world, yet higher poverty, crime, and illness than a vast majority of Western European nations. It just blows my mind.

The worst part is the hivemind mentality that anyone who doesn't embrace neoliberal economics and neoconservatism is crumbling. France is an ideal example. Ever since they didn't embrace the neoconservative era they have been a scape goat for what happens when you have an economy that doesn't embrace the new era. Except that they have less than half the poverty rate of the U.K. and Germany, higher real wages, incredible working conditions, 35 hour work week, and one of the highest productivity rates in the world. Yet everyone ignores this, or outright denies this, and focuses on how their economy has been stagnate for the past thirty years...except that it hasn't been. Its real GDP growth rate is inline with every other major European nation.

http://www.google.com/publicdata/explore?ds=z8ehg1neoorltg_&ctype=l&met_y=evogdp_t1#!ctype=l&strail=false&bcs=d&nselm=h&met_y=evogdp_t1&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&rdim=country_group&idim=country_group:NMEC&idim=country:DEU:FRA:ITA:GBR&ifdim=country_group&tstart=352533600000&tend=1267682400000&hl=en_US&dl=en_US&ind=false

Yet people ignore this and complain that the economy of France isn't up to the level Germany, a nation that has gotten much of its wealth by pillaging EU nations. Nevermind the failure of the United Kingdom and every other neoliberal country in Europe because Germany, a country with more than double the poverty rate, worse healthcare system, higher inequality, less wages, etc. is still more successful because it has a higher GDP rate. Its hysterical. I mean France isn't perfect as it does have an unemployment problem but what Western European nation doesn't?

It gets even more ridiculous when you look at things like how the media constantly acts like Venezuela is a nation that would become the next Zimbabwe if the oil industry collapsed. When it did in 2008, the country was hurt for two years, but it wasn't the complete massive collapse they predicted it to be. When Venezuela had one of the slowest real GDP growth rates in Latin America in 2011 it was attacked constantly, but last year when it had one of the highest it was conveniently ignored. To clarify I do believe the country would be in trouble without the oil industry but it would hardly be the mass collapse the media makes it out to be. Some of Venezuela's success over the past decade is due to Uncle Hugo. Ecuador, which many describe its leaders as Chavez done right, has undergone huge growth and social change. But because he is left wing nobody pays attention, same with Bolivia. The Nordic countries are constantly ignored, it took all the way up to a month ago or so for the Economist to finally acknowledge their success, and even then they desperately try to downplay their left wingness. You will never hear from the media that Norway for example has approximately one third of all of its workforce working for government owned entities, a higher rate than Venezuela. Its no surprise the Economist didn't mention Norway much in their article other than that they merely allow private companies to run hospitals. Don't also forget that Cuba is only slightly less poor than Haiti with one of the most stagnant economies in the world despite having its GDP growth in-line with neighboring countries. How much of that goes to the people however is arguable and a different topic all together. But you know what country is awesome? Singapore. A country with one of the highest inequalities in the world that solely is allowed to exist due to a Chinese-like authoritarian government with one third of the economy tied to foreign investment in which if they started losing their economy would implode.

Modern media is a joke.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
lol, just saw a clip of Boehner's interview with David Gregory (who seemed to do pretty decent job, surprisingly), where he said there was "mountains and mountains of evidence" that lower taxes spur growth, and all he could come up with was Reagan, who, as Gregory pointed out, raised taxes.

Well, he did ask for "government" crowding out, not "gov't spending," so tax raises is a good example. There are others, like the Fed making rates unnecessarily high which could do it. And as I mentioned there seems to be some evidence of it happening in the developing world but not really the modernized world.

I mentioned "increased borrowing" for a reason (to avoid your complaint that you made anyway!)

Also Exception that proves the rule means something else than what you used it for (just a FYI). I actually learned this one recently, myself. :p

Sorry, I was specifically referring to government spending. Should have clarified that. I get that something like taxation could possibly have a crowding out effect.

Snake

Jeb Bush did a 180 immigration.

He's against reform now.

The world's sole superpower, possessing a two-party system, has one party without a single credible leader and what passes for leadership continues to decline in reason and sanity. The American Right needs to grow up right now, and yet there's no sign of it happening even in the long term. Scary stuff.

Oblivion

So much for Florida's medicaid expansion:

A key committee in the Florida House of Representatives on Monday rejected an expansion of the state's Medicaid program as proposed by Gov. Rick Scott (R) last month, Reuters reports:

On the eve of convening of the 2013 session, the House Select Committee on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act rejected the expansion. A Senate counterpart committee postponed consideration of the issue, which is sure to be one of the biggest controversies of the session.

Republicans currently hold majorities of 28-12 in the Senate and 74-46 in the House. They remain firmly opposed to 'Obamacare,' which leaves the choice to expand the program up to the nation's governors. Eight Republican governors, including Scott, have so far signaled their intent to expand Medicaid.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/florida-house-committee-blocks-medicaid-expansion

A key committee in the Florida House of Representatives on Monday rejected an expansion of the state's Medicaid program as proposed by Gov. Rick Scott (R) last month, Reuters reports:

On the eve of convening of the 2013 session, the House Select Committee on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act rejected the expansion. A Senate counterpart committee postponed consideration of the issue, which is sure to be one of the biggest controversies of the session.

Republicans currently hold majorities of 28-12 in the Senate and 74-46 in the House. They remain firmly opposed to 'Obamacare,' which leaves the choice to expand the program up to the nation's governors. Eight Republican governors, including Scott, have so far signaled their intent to expand Medicaid.
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/florida-house-committee-blocks-medicaid-expansion

Welp. Maybe Florida will go full blue in 2014

" By Obama needing to be the campaigner in chief he succeeded in sabotaging our immigration reform talks. This president would rather have an issue to use in the midterm elections than fix the immigration crisis in America. "

I left out anything about "leadership" because this is the only time that people are complaining when Obama tries to lead on something.
When Obama intervenes on an issue he's just told to let Congress deal with it while he sits on the sidelines.

When he doesn't (or he's focusing on something else) he's accused of lacking leadership, which is basically signing whatever Republicans pass.

PhoenixDark said:
Welp. Maybe Florida will go full blue in 2014
They'll probably give Scott the boot but they've gerrymandered the state legislatures six ways to Sunday. Voters passed a toothless redistricting initiative in 2010 that didn't curb anything, not helped by congressional Dems. like Corinne Brown suing against it because they also benefit from the gerrymandered districts (safe Dem sinkholes that give them the job for life).

Oblivion

I'm in class right now and what the fuck is this?

IjdbO7N.jpg

He left it up from his previous class but still...

pigeon

Banned
Looking for honest takes.....

Considering we haven't had a budget in his administration along with the sequestration, fiscal cliff and all the other self imposed dilmenas; at what point do democrats says this goes behind Republicans are being difficult and acknowledging that Obama isn't a very good leader?

What does this even mean? What would effective leadership look like, in your mind?

I'm repeating this because I really want to know, not least because I will eventually have to talk to my father-in-law again. What is "leadership?" It's not sufficient to say "well, things would be better with leadership." What would effective leadership actually look like? What would a strong leader actually do in this situation?

RDreamer

The loop reminds me of the political theory I had back in my high school political science class. I was unhappy with the one-line approach. Since both ends basically went to a sort of communism, I felt like the spectrum looped onto itself. One end went to a more controlled communism, but that in theory would eventually dissolve the state when people were more used to that way of life, and the other end went to an anarcho-communism sort of thing. At the time it felt to me like the two were nearly the same, just took vastly different approaches to get there.

SALT LAKE CITY — A state senator voted against a bill Monday that would make cockfighting a felony in Utah because abortion is legal.

"In a state where we can still allow people to kill their babies, we want to make it a felony to let chickens fight for the purpose of which they were raised," said Sen. Allen Christensen, R-North Ogden.

Christensen said cockfighting is not "beautiful" or "wonderful." But the birds "naturally want to do this thing in their lives and we're going to send their owners to prison for this, yet we allow people to go ahead and murder their unborn babies."

SB52 would make it a third-degree felony to own or train game fowl for fighting, and attending a cockfight would be a class B misdemeanor.

Utah is the only state in the West in which cockfighting is a misdemeanor, said Sen. Gene Davis, D-Salt Lake, the bill's sponsor. The proposed law would mirror the state's dog fighting statute.

CLOWN SHOES

Talon

The horseshoe metaphor for the political spectrum was used in every intro or domestic politics course I ever took.

Social mores/platforms of the far right sort of obscure their political means.

Chichikov

Fascists = (almost) no government?
Really now?

Is it too late to ask for your money back?

p.s.
I'm not quite ready to suggest causality, but there's certain a correlation between using the "size of government" as the end all be all measurement of political theories and being wrong about everything.

I still am ticked off at this sequestration crap. The Republicans in Congress have no idea what it means to have the privilege of being in government.

Oblivion

Most of us were already aware of this stuff, but I thought I'd post it:

Would it matter, one reporter asked the veteran legislator, if the president were to put chained-CPI -- a policy that reconfigures the way the government measures inflation and thus slows the growth of Social Security benefits -- on the table?

"Absolutely," the legislator said. "That's serious."

Another reporter jumped in. "But it is on the table! They tell us three times a day that they want to do chained-CPI."

"Who wants to do it?" said the legislator.

"The president," replied the reporter.

"I'd love to see it," laughed the legislator.

Ezra then talked to Republican strategist/douchebag Mike Murphy:

As this is applied to the ongoing political debates in DC, Republicans seem ignorant to a jaw-dropping degree about some of the basics, but even if they suddenly became more informed, it's likely they'd come up with new reasons not to govern constructively with the White House.

Indeed, we don't have to speculate to know this is true. Over the weekend, Ezra highlighted concerns raised by Mike Murphy, one of the top political consultants in the Republican Party, who said President Obama could reach a bipartisan deal with Republicans if only he endorsed chained CPI, apparently unaware that Obama has already done this.

Reminded of the facts, Murphy dug in, saying Obama endorsed means testing, but "refused" chained CPI. This is factually incorrect, too -- indeed, it's the exact opposite of reality -- and when this was brought to his attention, Murphy switched gears, saying chained CPI is a "small beans gimmick" and Republicans just aren't able to "trust" the White House.

Keep in mind, Murphy's no dummy, but his line of argument is literally incoherent. He wants Obama to endorse a policy. Told that Obama already endorsed that policy, Murphy denies it. Presented with proof, Murphy decides the policy he supports isn't so great after all.

As ma boy, Steve Benen reminded:

Upton Sinclair said:
"It is impossible to make a man understand something if his livelihood depends on not understanding it."

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You take it back, Paul Ryan once worked a summer in a hot dog stand, he's like a super expert on the private sector.

Sounds to me like he's qualified to run our economy, we should hand over all economic decisions to him. Shit, lets retroactively make him president.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Does this mean Jeb is running in 2016? The GOP nominating a Bachman type or another Bush would be glorious.

Is this actually almost inevitable at this point?

I mean, I know 2016 is a long way off, but the GOP already seems to have failed to learn from the last election and is doubling down on their positions. They have enough power to happily block Obama and the Democrats from doing anything overly meaningful in the short term, and they seem to interpret impeding policy as "victory". Their hardcore base seems adamant they "just weren't conservative enough" on this last go around, and will stubbornly yearn for a return to the "good old days" which never existed (at least, not for all people equally).

The only way they will be reminded they are heading in the wrong direction is if they get spanked in the 2014 elections, but the races there are so gerrymandered that any loss is going to be narrow at best. So even if they lose the House, it won't happen in a convincing enough way to suggest they need a radical new approach when it comes to trying to take the Presidency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom