• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

Welp, my local airport is fucked.

http://nhregister.com/articles/2013/03/22/news/doc514cb8213d3ac278293700.txt?viewmode=default

Along with 149 others.

The airport is about 15 minutes from me, and basically only offers flights to Philly, but it is extremely convenient, and kind of a nice thing for a city to have, no? It somewhat recently got a new building, so it makes little sense to kill it after giving it a new building, but....

Also, "Long Island, N.Y.’s Westhampton Beach airport — will stay open due to “national security” concerns." ???

Looking at it's position, probably need a diversion airport/alternate airport outside of NYC they can send planes to coming across the ocean. Maybe?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Meaning work for a woman's father for ten years, then marry her and steal some of his goats.

I think that's how it goes.
Nah, it's totally levirate marriage. Married brother dies? You take over in his name! One man and one woman, by proxy.

Hope he runs. Gets the nomination. Then gets beat by a flood of union money.

Unfortunately that won't happen, because I live in reality. He'll get beat, but he won't get his just desserts.

Nah, it's totally levirate marriage. Married brother dies? You take over in his name! One man and one woman, by proxy.
Marriage was always seen as a contract in the strictest sense possible in ancient world. Marry your dead brother's wife to keep the family alliance. Marry this person's daughter, and forge the alliance between two warring tribes or marry that person's daughter and exchange 10 sheep and 1 cow. Polygyny was extremely common back in the day because of this reason and also due to constant shortages of men dying in war and combat. In the ancient world there wasn't a "gay marriage" to ease the tensions between tribes and whatnot, so the mentality has been forged in the minds of many that gay marriage is weird and crazy. It's true that it is untraditional, or maybe even unorthodox. But that's not a good excuse to be against it. Anti gay marriage folks need a better defense and there just isn't any.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Or in other words, truly traditional marriage is not between two people, but between two families. In the case of royal families, between two countries.

That two individuals are the only parties concerned and that they decide their own courtship is hippie free love by comparison.

Or in other words, truly traditional marriage is not between two people, but between two families. In the case of royal families, between two countries.

That two individuals are the only parties concerned and that they decide their own courtship is hippie love by comparison.
Yup. That is how it is in vast majority of the world still, sadly. The concept of romantic marriage and courtship in general is alien in many societies, like the Asian subcontinent and many African and Arab communities. This tradition sadly brings with it the honor system, where the name of family is everything. Of course there are exceptions to the rule and the growing middle class in Asia and around the world is changing a lot of established cultural norms these days.

bonercop

So poliGAF, I got a question I hope one of you can answer:

What is up with this sudden approval for gay rights among Americans? Don't get me wrong, I'm super-glad to see progress happening, but what prompted this shift?

What is up with this sudden approval for gay rights among Americans? Don't get me wrong, I'm super-glad to see progress happening, but what prompted this shift?

1)The Younger Generation A)Not really giving a shit and B)A good lot of them are gay and have gay friends themselves.

2)Obama coming out in support of it, opening the floodgates for more blacks to support it who were holding off before.

pigeon

Banned

There's actually an interesting Nate Silver post about this very question! Here's the summary in graph form, though:

fivethirtyeight-0326-marriage2-blog480.png

To put it simply, it looks sudden, but it's actually been growing at a reasonably steady pace since 2004. 2003 is when the right was first suggested by the courts, and it was a wedge issue in 2004, accounting for the negative bump, but basically, ever since people got the idea that gay people COULD get married, they became more and more in favor of it every year. Much like guns or the SS tax cap, the reason it seems sudden is not because the public hasn't moved, but because the politicians haven't.

edit: forgot the link! http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytime...e-sex-marriage-is-changing-and-what-it-means/

RDreamer

What if he gets voted out of office next year?

Doubt that happens. We'd need a really good, known, charismatic, uniting sort of candidate to do that. Walker's just too entrenched here now and his followers are like a goddamned cult. And he lies too well.

The other thing is that overall things throughout the country will be better and people will feel like the economy has turned around. Even though Wisconsin's in particular has not really got better under Walker, that's a hard case to make when people feel pretty decently overall.

I hope my analysis is proven dead wrong, though.

KtSlime

It's not so much sudden as it is our politicians finally waking up to the will of the people and doing what is just. They are just very slow at their job (not very good at it either).

Obama's economy is so bad most Americans can only hope to survive by getting a government job, preferably in Washinton. Supporting gay marriage is mandatory for federal employment/benefits.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Obama's economy is so bad most Americans can only hope to survive by getting a government job, preferably in Washinton. Supporting gay marriage is mandatory for federal employment/benefits.
I thought being gay married was a requirement, Not just supporting it?

bonercop

There's actually an interesting Nate Silver post about this very question! Here's the summary in graph form, though:

fivethirtyeight-0326-marriage2-blog480.png

To put it simply, it looks sudden, but it's actually been growing at a reasonably steady pace since 2004. 2003 is when the right was first suggested by the courts, and it was a wedge issue in 2004, accounting for the negative bump, but basically, ever since people got the idea that gay people COULD get married, they became more and more in favor of it every year. Much like guns or the SS tax cap, the reason it seems sudden is not because the public hasn't moved, but because the politicians haven't.

edit: forgot the link! http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytime...e-sex-marriage-is-changing-and-what-it-means/

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I hope that by 2025, kids will have the same reaction towards "traditional marriage proponents" as we do to people opposed to interracial marriage.

Roberts is now saying presidents can just ignore laws. Lets give the president more power!

Also from yesterday:
CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: So it's just about — it's just about the label in this case.

MR. OLSON: The label is -­

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: Same-sex couples have every other right, it's just about the label.

MR. OLSON: The label "marriage" means something. Even our opponents -­

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: Sure. If you tell — if you tell a child that somebody has to be their friend, I suppose you can force the child to say, this is my friend, but it changes the definition of what it means to be a friend. And that's it seems to me what the — what supporters of Proposition 8 are saying here. You're -­ all you're interested in is the label and you insist on changing the definition of the label.

Isn't this textbook separate but equal?

Well first I'd say it is not 'sudden'. It has been a slow change over many years. I grant you that things change faster than in the past and I attribute that to mass media, the internet, etc. Will & Grace, Glee, etc. All the people that have 'come out'.

I think one of the big recent reasons we saw a big change was the Obama came out for same sex marriage. That leadership has caused many people to question their own position and follow his leadership on the position.

ivysaur12

Banned
Roberts is now saying presidents can just ignore laws. Lets give the president more power!

Also from yesterday:

Isn't this textbook separate but equal?

Yup. And hopefully he realizes it, but that follow up thought makes me feel differently.

I don't understand this "just ignore the law" concept that the conservative justices have suddenly started to articulate as a seemingly obvious move by the administration.

bonercop

Well first I'd say it is not 'sudden'. It has been a slow change over many years. I grant you that things change faster than in the past and I attribute that to mass media, the internet, etc. Will & Grace, Glee, etc. All the people that have 'come out'.

I think one of the big recent reasons we saw a big change was the Obama came out for same sex marriage. That leadership has caused many people to question their own position and follow his leadership on the position.

According to that chart pigeon posted, approval rates jumped almost 20% in less than a decade. I dunno, looking at how these things usually pan out(people tend to be rather rigid beasts), you'd expect a 20% gain over the course of 30-40 years, not a mere decade. Look at the lack of progress in the 4 years prior!

(on that note: this was pretty amusing to me.)

RDreamer

According to that chart pigeon posted, approval rates jumped almost 20% in less than a decade. I dunno, looking at how these things usually pan out(people tend to be rather rigid beasts), you'd expect a 20% gain over the course of 30-40 years, not a mere decade. Look at the lack of progress in the 4 years prior!

(on that note: this was pretty amusing to me.)

We are rigid beasts, but I tend to think that sometimes things like this snowball, especially in an age of social media. Once you have a few friends who are gay and a bunch of friend supporting it, you'll be converted really easily and so on. Social media amplifies the sort of peer pressure on these things, and just makes the issues very visible. If you're standing on flimsy reasoning to begin with, like the "traditional marriage" folks are, it rapidly falls when you can get a solid movement attacking it.

Tamanon

Banned
I'm currently experiencing people upset about the Equality symbols because.....it's "pushing beliefs down their throat".

From the guys who constantly post stuff from gun sites or posts about food stamps people buying lobsters and steaks, generally with photoshops showing their point.

ivysaur12

Banned
AdamSerwer
‏@AdamSerwer
Roberts: Politicians are "falling all over themselves" to endorse same sex marriage so gays and lesbians have to be "politically powerful"

Because women and minorities must be politically powerful.

thefro

I'm currently experiencing people upset about the Equality symbols because.....it's "pushing beliefs down their throat".

From the guys who constantly post stuff from gun sites or posts about food stamps people buying lobsters and steaks, generally with photoshops showing their point.

I've just gotten this shared (from a Priest the priest in my parish is best friends with) saying that equals symbol is the mark of the beast and you're for imprisoning and torturing Catholic priests if you put it on your Facebook page. And the typical "If we allow this then incest, polygamy, people marrying animals and the government will force Churches to marry all these people".
http://on-this-rock.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-mark-of-beast.html

Stepping away from the gay marriage talk...

I have a question for poligaf.

I saw recently someone comment that this country cant get infrastructure done because "of the unions".

But isnt it the opposite?

We have very weak unions in this country, and theyre weaker than theyve ever been....

If they were stronger, wouldnt they be strongly lobbying for infrastructure (ie, so they could work), thus making us have more infrastructure?

Instead, theyre weak, and they lose out to stronger lobbying groups like big guns?

That is, its the LACK of strong unions thats hurting the infrastructure in this country, not vice versa.

Yeah Romney demolished Obama in North Carolina after he announced his support for gay marriage. Doesn't look good.

Oh wait, did I say demolished? I meant "beat by two points while spending far more in a 'safe state' than he should have after Obama gave up on the state." Sorry about that. Let me rephrase that statement.

Support for gay marriage is a nonstarter for ginning up opposition and Hagan will be fine.

Stepping away from the gay marriage talk...

I have a question for poligaf.

I saw recently someone comment that this country cant get infrastructure done because "of the unions".

But isnt it the opposite?

We have very weak unions in this country, and theyre weaker than theyve ever been....

If they were stronger, wouldnt they be strongly lobbying for infrastructure (ie, so they could work), thus making us have more infrastructure?

Instead, theyre weak, and they lose out to stronger lobbying groups like big guns?

That is, its the LACK of strong unions thats hurting the infrastructure in this country, not vice versa.
Well, the way the laws are written, you pretty much have to pay union wages for all public infrastructure projects. So that is what many are complaining about.

But the real reason is that the GOP is just on an anti-spending bent. If the president is a GOPer then spending is fine. But if the president is not a GOPer then spending is evil.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Just emailed Bill Nelson expressing my disappointment that he has not come out for same sex marriage. Not sure it'll make any difference, but felt it needed to be done. I love having the guy as my senator, but this is disappointing to me. We're a blue state and he was just re-elected. There is no reason to not support this.

Mike M

Nick N
The worst thing about this is that your friend is posting a photo of a printout tacked to a bulletin board of an ancient email forward.

Why not just c/p the text?

How does one c/p the text from an image? Reposting the image is faster than typing it all out again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom