• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.
CONAi3k.png

I hope he wins so in a presidential debate we have someone ask him about the civil rights act.

lingiii

Banned

Eh nobody really knows who Rand Paul is though except that maybe they heard good things about his filibuster. he falls apart immediately on the campaign trail once a proper vetting cycle gets air-time.

also, I double-take every time I catach this thread out the corner of my eye
062Poliwrath.png

RDreamer

Eh nobody really knows who Rand Paul is though except that maybe they heard good things about his filibuster. he falls apart immediately on the campaign trail once a proper vetting cycle gets air-time.

I think the Republican primary voters for the most part know who Rand Paul is. My dad's a big fan of the dude. He's pretty popular among the tea party types (i.e. republican primary voters).

Not necessarily saying he's going to beat anybody, but he's not some unknown dude anymore within the party.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think the Republican primary voters for the most part know who Rand Paul is. My dad's a big fan of the dude. He's pretty popular among the tea party types (i.e. republican primary voters).

Not necessarily saying he's going to beat anybody, but he's not some unknown dude anymore within the party.

I think he's really dangerous to the Christie types if the GOP keeps on their current heading. Look at all the trouble Romney had with Santorum, Paul would have actual money behind him and whoever is running next won't be a multimillionaire with super deep pockets. The GOP needs to moderate before the 2016 primaries if they want to shut out the crazies next time, they won't have an ultra rich wall street guy to do it again.

RDreamer

I think he's really dangerous to the Christie types if the GOP keeps on their current heading. Look at all the trouble Romney had with Santorum, Paul would have actual money behind him and whoever is running next won't be a multimillionaire with super deep pockets. The GOP needs to moderate before the 2016 primaries if they want to shut out the crazies next time, they won't have an ultra rich wall street guy to do it again.

Yeah, it's definitely going to be fascinating to watch Rand. He's that weird combination that brings in some libertarian types (the ones that really aren't libertarians I suppose) and Tea Partiers. I think he's going to likely be the go-to candidate for those that don't want the establishment guy (like Santorum was at the end there against Romney). The interesting thing is that this time I'm not sure the establishment guy can win on the fact that he can beat whoever's the opponent like Romney did. The GOP tried that and the tea party people aren't going to want to do it again.

Link

The Autumn Wind
The GOP is going to find itself in quite the bind with Paul, considering he's already announced his intention to run as a Libertarian. So either they hitch themselves to his crazy wagon, or he splits their base's vote.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The GOP is going to find itself in quite the bind with Paul, considering he's already announced his intention to run as a Libertarian. So either they hitch themselves to his crazy wagon, or he splits their base's vote.

I don't think they'll split the vote, especially if Hillary is running. It's safe to say they all dislike her enough to unite behind whoever in order to beat her. Rand would be more dangerous to them in the GOP primary, if he runs as a libertarian they can paint him and the Dem candidate as the two extremes with the GOP in the middle.

RDreamer

Completely forgot about that.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I don't think they'll split the vote, especially if Hillary is running. It's safe to say they all dislike her enough to unite behind whoever in order to beat her. Rand would be more dangerous to them in the GOP primary, if he runs as a libertarian they can paint him and the Dem candidate as the two extremes with the GOP in the middle.
No, I mean he intends to run as a third party candidate if he doesn't get the Republican nomination.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
No, I mean he intends to run as a third party candidate if he doesn't get the Republican nomination.

Oh really then? I take it all back, he's definitely going to fuck up the whole GOP primary process. Maybe even their general if the Dems can play it right.

RDreamer

Wait, him running as a libertarian was an "if" scenario? Meaning he will be in the republican primary, but if he doesn't win he'll go 3rd party?

That scenario could produce some hilarious results.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Wait, him running as a libertarian was an "if" scenario? Meaning he will be in the republican primary, but if he doesn't win he'll go 3rd party?

That scenario could produce some hilarious results.
Well, he announced that he plans to run as a Libertarian, but I'm sure he would accept the Republican nomination if they choose him.

Also, I don't think the Evangelicals would be in with Paul.
Why not? He's not a real Libertarian. He pushed for a personhood amendment and he's not been pro-gay rights. I think they'd be fine with him. Of course those policies will hurt him in a general. A personhood amendment puts him to the right of Mitt Romney who didn't exactly do well with the ladies.

Well, he announced that he plans to run as a Libertarian, but I'm sure he would accept the Republican nomination if they choose him.

I think he's using it as a threat. I don't think he'd go through with it. He knows that would be a losing strategy for him. He'd lose and he'd burn his bridges with the GOP. Rand is not nearly as principled as many people think. He'll flip-flop on things when that will help him. He flip-flopped on the Civil Rights Bill and now says he would vote for it whereas before he said he would not have. (Not that it is relevant these days.)

From another thread:
70 percent of American Muslims identify as Democrats or lean toward the Democratic Party. — Pew Research Center This reflects a significant change in voting patterns over the last decade — 78 percent of American Muslims voted Republican in the 2000 presidential election. Today, the percentage of American Muslims who “lean toward the GOP” is just 11 percent.
So there was one minority group the GOP did own . . . . until they fucked it up with Iraq.

Is there some sort of betting website for this? Like InTrade? This is fun. Last ones will be Manchin or Pryor.

I don't think Manchin will ever go for it. He wouldn't even vote to repeal DADT (he didn't even vote - probably because he would have voted no and didn't want to deal with the criticism)

An actual libertarian making it through the GOP primary process and into a general election kinda scares me a little. Libertarians seem like a rational decision to the "fiscally conservative but socially liberal" people.

If he runs as a 3rd party, let the party start now.

An actual libertarian making it through the GOP primary process and into a general election kinda scares me a little. Libertarians seem like a rational decision to the "fiscally conservative but socially liberal" people.

If he runs as a 3rd party, let the party start now.

An actual Libertarian cannot make it through the GOP primary process. Ron Paul was a heavily GOP-tilted Libertarian-lite and he couldn't come close. Rand may do a little better by not being saddled by the race-war nuttiness and Abolish the Fed nuttiness but he is still too loopy but it is still a long-shot. But he is NOT a real Libertarian because the official Libertarian party position is pro-choice.

Top Republican pundit Bill Kristol believes that members of his party are only considering support of marriage equality to keep up with TV shows, and to appeal to “some 26-year-old who doesn’t know anything honestly

This is the man who said there was no evidence of any discord between Sunnis & Shias in Iraq and said that Iraq would be a 3 or 4 month war not an 8 year war. Why does anyone listen to him for anything?

I don't know why, and not that I ever thought about it, but I would have assumed that Kristol was at worst neutral to gay rights. I always thought his ideological bend was towards fiscal and foreign policy issues. Well, now he's wrong about everything!

So we talk about how it will take a walking gun to personally shoot republicans before theyd welcome legislation....

But when do we get car-murder reform?

Seriously, in this country, you can kill someone with a car, but as long as you say " the sun was in my eyes" or "I lost control" you get off with not even a fine.

A motorist jumped the curb and slammed into a bus stop and scaffolding in East Flatbush on Saturday, striking up to 10 pedestrians. Four people were hospitalized in critical condition, including a woman and her young son. According to the Post, Denim McLean, whose age has been reported as 2 and 3, is brain dead.

Mom is in a comma. Kid is brain-dead. 8 others injured.

What does NYPD say?

Within hours NYPD told the media that charges were unlikely, despite witness accounts that the driver was speeding.
http://www.streetsblog.org/2013/04/...ver-who-hit-10-people-leaving-boy-brain-dead/

Whats the burden of proof?

Cops said the driver passed a breath-alcohol test and would not be charged.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/horror_for_crash_mom_tot_phAESfjVs3bdHldd6DNH3J

Thats right. No alcohol, no problem.

I think this is a bigger problem than the gun thing because 30,000 americans are killed every year, and the police can't be bothered to even issue a speeding ticket when a group of people is plowed down.

KtSlime

jamesinclair: If this was premeditated, obviously some action needs to be taken. But I don't believe in punishing accidents. Punishment in general is a pretty barbaric means of rehabilitation, its use shouldn't be extended any further than it already is.

From another thread:

So there was one minority group the GOP did own . . . . until they fucked it up with Iraq.

The funny thing is that I honestly can't think of a demographic that would fit more in with the GOP than Muslims. They are the absolute epitome of conservatism. Not just social, but fiscal as well. Virtually every Muslim either came here as an immigrant or the son/daughter of an immigrant. And virtually every Muslim came here with their family in which all of them started their own businesses and pooled their money together. Because of this it isn't uncommon for them to view anybody who is poor is deserving to be so. "I started my own business, why couldn't they?" My father hardly ever gave me advice as a child, but one thing he told me was this "If you're smart you will be rich, if you are stupid you will be poor." Yet despite this when talk about American politics, they have little positive to say about the Republicans. They keep going back to Israel (especially my father's side since they are all Palestinian) and the war in Iraq. They don't vote Democrat because they like progressivism and social welfare, far from it, they vote Democrat because that isn't the party that started wars in the Middle East and isn't overwhelming supportive of Israel.

Edit: And as you can imagine just like many "conservatives" that take out a shit ton of welfare, Muslims aren't alone in that either. My dad's brother has 6 to 8 kids and lives in a upper middle class home in the suburbs of Buffalo Grove. Despite that my family strongly believes that he was getting welfare for the children for quite some time despite him making bank.

jamesinclair: If this was premeditated, obviously some action needs to be taken. But I don't believe in punishing accidents. Punishment in general is a pretty barbaric means of rehabilitation, its use shouldn't be extended any further than it already is.

You think hitting 10 people, essentially killing two of them is an accident?

Im sure the NRA would love to have you on board.

Without punishment, the driver who mowed down everyone can be back on the roads tomorrow and do it again.

So we talk about how it will take a walking gun to personally shoot republicans before theyd welcome legislation....

But when do we get car-murder reform?

Seriously, in this country, you can kill someone with a car, but as long as you say " the sun was in my eyes" or "I lost control" you get off with not even a fine.

Mom is in a comma. Kid is brain-dead. 8 others injured.

What does NYPD say?

http://www.streetsblog.org/2013/04/...ver-who-hit-10-people-leaving-boy-brain-dead/

Whats the burden of proof?

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/horror_for_crash_mom_tot_phAESfjVs3bdHldd6DNH3J

Thats right. No alcohol, no problem.

I think this is a bigger problem than the gun thing because 30,000 americans are killed every year, and the police can't be bothered to even issue a speeding ticket when a group of people is plowed down.
Car murder problem? How do you propose they prove speeding beyond a reasonable doubt? There is the presumption of innocence. Cant they get a civil suit anyways?

Its a horrible crime but I dont see what the nypd can do.

She's as good of a corporatist talking head as Maddow is at being a left talking point. They're both very good at their jobs, it's just the nature of Burnett's job/role is to spin shit even many conservatives don't agree with.

Some of the topics on her show are just horrible. She just had a segment about some woman that argued females in college should first and formost be there to find a husband. Erin asked the rhetorical 'is this sexist or actually a really smart idea?'. Terrible.

An actual Libertarian cannot make it through the GOP primary process. Ron Paul was a heavily GOP-tilted Libertarian-lite and he couldn't come close. Rand may do a little better by not being saddled by the race-war nuttiness and Abolish the Fed nuttiness but he is still too loopy but it is still a long-shot. But he is NOT a real Libertarian because the official Libertarian party position is pro-choice.

I thought so as well. Yeah ... him and his father both hide behind states rights a lot when trying to argue socially liberal stances to the GOP. Which one would think might be a good loophole to make it past their primary process, but I guess not. It's amazing the GOP has pigeon holed themselves so badly. One HAS to be socially concervative beccause they've clung to the nutsack of the religious right for far too long.

I don't know why, and not that I ever thought about it, but I would have assumed that Kristol was at worst neutral to gay rights. I always thought his ideological bend was towards fiscal and foreign policy issues. Well, now he's wrong about everything!

Yeah, I was kinda shocked by it as well. He seemed to be a guy that would manipulate the Evangelical rubes to get them to back his neocon wet dreams. (Then again, maybe that is what he is doing . . . perhaps he remains undercover?)

Chichikov

When the driver crashes his car into the buss stop simply to take copper wire from the lit up add in the back ... how could he not be serious.
We should definitely be more liberal with lifetime driving bans to people who have demonstrated that they can't operate a car without harming their fellow citizens, but what does jail time suppose to achieve?
Do you really think it does anything for deterrence?

Nearly 30,000 people are killed with guns too.

Just because there is may be no criminal prosecution, that doesn't mean the guy gets off with nothing. He is going to be sued, lose a lot of money, will have to pay really high insurance, etc.

If the driver was reckless, they may have after him. But if it was just negligence . . . well, it is not really a crime. Do you think he wanted to kill people? Would imprisoning this person protect others or just waste the state's money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom