• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iran is a bigger boogeymans in the eyes of media because they have oil. So if Iran says they are building peaceful nuclear power, THEY HAVE WMDs EVERYONE PANIC WE ARE GOING TO DIE SEND IN THE MARINES. But when NK claims that they will have nukes ready within 6 months, don't panic folks. It's just a bluff because NK lol.

NK is dirt. No big haliburton contracts there. Iran has some of the largest oil reserves on earth. Obviously neocons and Texan oilmen want to invade Iran and not NK.

As already pointed out, Iran matters also because of Israel. Lots of people are concerned about our plans to bring Jesus back.

Iran also significantly differs because it is theoretically plausible to bomb and/or invade Iran. That is just not possible with NK. NK may have nukes which precludes it. But even if they don't have nukes, NK could literally rain down thousands of artillery shells on Seoul, a horrific prospect that makes any invasion impractical except if they attacked first.

NK is just a stalemate and we are waiting it out. They are not really going to attack, they know that if they did, it would be suicidal.

The car comparison is really disingenuous just because most of us who love to drive already know that our licensing requirements and driver's ed is seriously lax. Stuff like the runaway Toyota's were all driver's error and with a bit more training easily avoidable.

As a motorcyclist, it's even worse. You just need a written permit to buy a superbike and many states don't have helmet laws even. Something like tiered licensing would definitely help.

Well your point is taken on our weak licensing. But that said, even that crap system is far more restrictive than the system we have for guns. At least the cars have the rationalization of improving our economic output. Guns don't improve our economic output. (We do have a tiered licensing system in California . . . there is special motorcycle license and another for truckers.)

Scirrocco

Happened upon Morning Joe for a minute and it was Mrs. Dan Senor doing her best Sealab 2021 Bizarro Quinn helping.

Campbell Brown: The President Gives Hollywood a Pass on Violence
Movies and videogames aren't high among White House concerns.

The president's campaign against gun violence has produced a stale debate
Campbell (No Bias, No Bull) Brown is here to shake it up with not even fresh bullshit. It's 1 part warmed over right-wing nonsense, 1 part Itchy & Scratchy & Marge.

*restrict violence on television that can be seen by young people
*end to channel "bundling" by cable and satellite companies
*institute a real movie ratings system

The cool idea a lot of people like just to knee-cap content providers and or just save them money on the TV bill sandwich between the worthless/impracticable. Back in the 90s with V-Chip it was cool and functional. In the age of broadband connected devices everywhere you look like a moron proposing it.

But she saves the best for last.

wOTfQY2.gif

And again the Op-Ed subtitle, as if it should be on a Schindler-esk list. Movies and videogames aren't high among White House concerns. If that ever got near the top of a paper it should be transferred into TP.

I'd be all for the ending of channel bundling though. Is there anyway to just take that and leave the crazy?

this does nothing but just piss me off

Just know that the government doesn't need that money. The title should say that these are 10 galling tax loopholes that let individuals and corporations unjustly keep billions for themselves each year.

That probably doesn't help. Nor should it.

There was protest on my block this morning. That was weird. I live in an expensive silicon valley suburb and I guess Obama is visiting, probably for a fund-raiser among the super-wealthy (I live next to one of the most wealthy towns in the country, Atherton).

A Prius-C was parked in front of my house and a crowd of anti-Keystone XL pipeline people with signs was down at the corner to show Obama their views. It was kinda cool. I took my daughter down there and explained how in addition to voting for president you often have to do more to change things. And that these people were out there to show the President that they want a specific policy. I'm sure they all voted Obama or Green party.

Cops:
IMAG0282_zps806bf547.jpg

Protesters:
IMAG0283_zps28c21ce8.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, the Heritage Foundation.

Lovers of the free market, crusading against subsidies.

The Heritage Foundation plans to build 6 rowhouses near its offices at 3rd Street and Massachusetts Avenue, NE. There will be 105 parking spaces underneath, which Heritage will rent out to employees, though well below market rate, and a Capital Bikeshare station.

Each rowhouse will get one space, while the remaining 99 parking spaces will be reserved for employees and visitors of the Heritage Foundation at a cost of $90 per month. For secure garage parking one block from Metro, this is far below market rate. For example, the currently monthly rate one block away at Union Station is $263.39.

http://greatergreaterwashington.org...uilding-105-parking-spaces-under-6-rowhouses/

The market is perfect, why dont they let the market price their parking?

And why buy an office one block from the public transit headquarters of the region if youre going to turn around and pay your employees to drive?

Why not build your offices in exburbia?

Oh, let me guess, its because your clients love the convenience of the transit system you constantly complain about....

For reference, heres some of the ace reporting done by heritage

Public Transit: A Bad Product at a Bad Price

The decline of public transit is the result of powerful demographic forces that show no sign of reversal. Basically, the demand for public transit is inversely related to personal income. As people's incomes rise they can afford the more comfortable and convenient travel provided by owning and operating an automobile.

Which is why, of course, the median income of many commuter rail systems exceeds $100k, and naturally nobody rides transit to Wall Street.

As I said, ace reporting.

There isn't a single light rail transit system in America in which fares paid by passengers cover the cost of their own rides.

Their employees wont ever pay back the cost of the garage....

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
What the hell kind of economist is David Stockman? He seems to hate the idea of Keynesianism, but he also supports the idea of raising taxes. Also he wants to eliminate the fed and wants a return to the gold standard.

wtf?

What the hell kind of economist is David Stockman? He seems to hate the idea of Keynesianism, but he also supports the idea of raising taxes. Also he wants to eliminate the fed and wants a return to the gold standard.

wtf?

He's an idiot. And, amazingly, that exercise in economic fraud was heavily promoted by the New York Times editorial staff. This country is a fucking circus.

KtSlime

Made the mistake of turning on CNN to see if they were going to talk at all about the 32t in the BVI. Instead some guy named Chad Myers alluded to the pyramids possibly being built with dark matter technology. Why is this channel considered news?

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more

Not all of those are loopholes--and it may be that none of them are. I dislike when people--especially politicians who should know better--refer to deductions intentionally included by Congress as "loopholes." "Loophole" implies that Congress overlooked something and now people are taking advantage of it, but most of what are referred to as "loopholes" are exactly what Congress intended.

For an example of an actual loophole, consider the intentionally defective grantor trust (IDGT). Put simply, an IDGT is a trust that is treated as separate for estate tax purposes (so the assets held in trust aren't included in the transferor's gross estate), but treated as not separate for income tax purposes (so that income to the trust is taxed to the transferor, as though the trust didn't even exist). Congress never intentionally designed this scheme; it resulted from their inattention to details in designing the income tax and estate tax rules.

Made the mistake of turning on CNN to see if they were going to talk at all about the 32t in the BVI. Instead some guy named Chad Myers alluded to the pyramids possibly being built with dark matter technology. Why is this channel considered news?

Welcome to the party, you're about 15 years late.

Jooney

The worst crime that CNN commits is that of incoherence. It's clear the positions that Fox and MSNBC have staked out. But CNN? They're the channel of scandal and gossip, tweets and gimmickry. They have an opportunity to be the hard news alternative with proper investigative journalism. But that's too expensive and you might ruffle a few feathers. Much better to read viewers tweets on air and gossip about what new designer Michelle Obama is wearing now.

Al-Jazeera English needs to come to the US and disrupt the cable news ecosystem.

Jooney

He's an idiot. And, amazingly, that exercise in economic fraud was heavily promoted by the New York Times editorial staff. This country is a fucking circus.

Coincidentally he did an interview with Tom Ashbrooke today.

He's got an ire for the excesses of Wall Street, which is good.

But he doesn't agree with Government stimulus, which of course is terrible (and EV kryptonite).

EDIT: oh man another guest (Roger Lowenstein) came in on On Point with Tom Ashbrook and fucked Stockman's shit right up. sogood.gif

KtSlime

The history channel approaches history?

I mean to say they have a take on it. But yeah, I suppose that's like saying a gummi-candy is a take on fruit, in that it's not really...

There is something seriously wrong with this culture.

Jooney: Agreed, hopefully the sale of Current will do us some good.

wtf?

Meh. The eliminate the fed and gold standard stuff is nutty but at least the guy admits that taxes are too low.

KtSlime

Meh. The eliminate the fed and gold standard stuff is nutty but at least the guy admits that taxes are too low.

I think it is pretty crazy as well, but thinking about the whole BVI/Caymans and other tax shelter situations, I guess there is one benefit to having money accounted for with physical tokens - it can be taken by force if needed.

I mean to say they have a take on it. But yeah, I suppose that's like saying a gummi-candy is a take on fruit, in that it's not really...

There is something seriously wrong with this culture.

The "history channel" showing ancient aliens and "the learning channel" showing Sarah Palin and Honey Boo-boo would seem to indicate that. But the truth is that such channels were just hopelessly over optimistic on level of culture. Look at our history . . . we watched gladiators kill each other, fed Christians to the lions, and entertained ourselves with Cat-burning.

We are just a little above our primate cousins. Now excuse me as I go kill a zillion people in Bioshock, Tomb Raider, Uncharted, etc. (Hey, at least we moved on to killing virtual people and watching fictional gladiators fight in movies.)

Chichikov

wtf?
He's not an economist.
He's a failed budget director who parlayed it into a super lucrative Wall Street career, nothing more, nothing less.
I think it is pretty crazy as well, but thinking about the whole BVI/Caymans and other tax shelter situations, I guess there is one benefit to having money accounted for with physical tokens - it can be taken by force if needed.
It's significantly easier to take virtual money away, see: the Cyprus carnival of banking stupidity, every drug dealer who got their account frozen/confiscated.
We don't do it to rich tax dodgers because we choose not to.

Wilsongt

Simply put, if The Lord made homosexuals as well as heterosexuals, why should I discriminate against their civil marriage? I shouldn't, and I won't.

So I will add my name to the petition of senators asking the Supreme Court to declare the law that prohibits gay marriage unconstitutional.

The fundies will go crazy over this statement.

God made homosexuals, and he made us SIMPLY FABULOUS.

Chichikov

The fundies will go crazy over this statement.

God made homosexuals, and he made us SIMPLY FABULOUS.
I'm all for marriage equality, but that's some stupid reasoning.
God also created murderers and child rapists, saying something is okay because it exists is pretty much a rejection of morality.

I know he didn't mean it like that, but maybe that why you shouldn't use such pandering framing.

wtf?

He isn't an economist. He's just a politician.

Gotchaye

I'm all for marriage equality, but that's some stupid reasoning.
God also created murderers and child rapists, saying something is okay because it exists is pretty much a rejection of morality.

I know he didn't mean it like that, but maybe that why you shouldn't use such pandering framing.

There are respectable ways to frame this. Modern liberals take for granted something like "if you're not hurting anybody, it's not a problem", but this wasn't always so obvious. "God made many kinds" is historically important as motivating this kind of move. Nelson's not making explicit that it matters that homosexuality doesn't involve going around and hurting people, but what he's saying doesn't imply that that's irrelevant.

A traditional Christian basically has two ways to explain human diversity. Either God intended it or it's evil (caused by the Fall, by the devil acting in the world, by human freedom, etc). Things in the first category aren't evil. Christians don't typically believe that God created murderers with a disposition to murder; murderousness is in the second category. Gay rights advocates have basically convinced everyone that homosexuality is more-or-less hardwired, and this plus the fact that homosexuality doesn't seem to interfere with loving thy neighbor and so on has convinced a lot of Christians that it's something that God directly intended.

Shorter: The reasoning isn't "homosexuality exists, therefore it's fine". It's "God values homosexuality, therefore it's fine".

There are respectable ways to frame this. Modern liberals take for granted something like "if you're not hurting anybody, it's not a problem", but this wasn't always so obvious. "God made many kinds" is historically important as motivating this kind of move. Nelson's not making explicit that it matters that homosexuality doesn't involve going around and hurting people, but what he's saying doesn't imply that that's irrelevant.

A traditional Christian basically has two ways to explain human diversity. Either God intended it or it's evil (caused by the Fall, by the devil acting in the world, by human freedom, etc). Things in the first category aren't evil. Christians don't typically believe that God created murderers with a disposition to murder; murderousness is in the second category. Gay rights advocates have basically convinced everyone that homosexuality is more-or-less hardwired, and this plus the fact that homosexuality doesn't seem to interfere with loving thy neighbor and so on has convinced a lot of Christians that it's something that God directly intended.

Shorter: The reasoning isn't "homosexuality exists, therefore it's fine". It's "God values homosexuality, therefore it's fine".
But why does god have to be brought up at all? That's the annoying thing.

It is sort of like the Rob Portman flip . . . I'm certainly happy to get another person on board on the right side of the issue but the reasoning dubious. It does not matter if god likes it or not, we are multi-cultural multi-religious society and we all have to allow other people to live any way they want as long as it does not hurt anyone else. When Mosque gets approved by a planning department do we need to have the Christian god's blessing?

But why does god have to be brought up at all? That's the annoying thing.

It is sort of like the Rob Portman flip . . . I'm certainly happy to get another person on board on the right side of the issue but the reasoning dubious. It does not matter if god likes it or not, we are multi-cultural multi-religious society and we all have to allow other people to live any way they want as long as it does not hurt anyone else. When Mosque gets approved by a planning department do we need to have the Christian god's blessing?

People believe in god. This speaks to them. I can tell you he probably bases this more in human decency rather than marriage. But he's not speaking to people like us, he's speaking to the mega church members in Florida.

People believe in god. This speaks to them. I can tell you he probably bases this more in human decency rather than marriage. But he's not speaking to people like us, he's speaking to the mega church members in Florida.

I know. But he basically seems to be saying "It is OK to keep making bigoted laws based on our religion . . . but it turns out our religion is fine with this so we can allow it." I'd have more respect if he said "I personally find this morally wrong. But my personal moral views are my own and are trumped by the need to provide equal protection under the law to all my constituents." (Assuming he morally disagrees with it.)

Then again, maybe he does think it is fine with his religious views. Maybe he got a revelation.

I know. But he basically seems to be saying "It is OK to keep making bigoted laws based on our religion . . . but it turns out our religion is fine with this so we can allow it." I'd have more respect if he said "I personally find this morally wrong. But my personal moral views are my own and are trumped by the need to provide equal protection under the law to all my constituents." (Assuming he morally disagrees with it.)

Then again, maybe he does think it is fine with his religious views. Maybe he got a revelation.

I don't think he's saying this. Here is the full quote to give it more context:

"It is generally accepted in American law and U.S. society today '... that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.' I believe that. The civil rights and responsibilities for one must pertain to all.

"Thus, to discriminate against one class and not another is wrong for me," he said in a statement to Tampa Bay Times editorial board.

"If we are endowed by our Creator with rights, then why shouldn't those be attainable by Gays and Lesbians? "Simply put, if The Lord made homosexuals as well as heterosexuals, why should I discriminate against their civil marriage? I shouldn't, and I won't.

"So I will add my name to the petition of senators asking the Supreme Court to declare the law that prohibits gay marriage unconstitutional."
And I'm a person who doesn't care what religion (or lack there of) reason people profess as a reason for their policy as long as the policy is good.

Every one of these people coming out for marriage equality has been met with contempt from many on the left. It rubs me the wrong way that people take this moral high ground to say "I'm still better because my reasons are better" I don't think we need to be the thought police saying which reason is better than the other, the result is the same.

(Not saying you take that stand, I've seen it more in other places.)

And I'm a person who doesn't care what religion (or lack there of) reason people profess as a reason for their policy as long as the policy is good.

Every one of these people coming out for marriage equality has been met with contempt from many on the left. It rubs me the wrong way that people take this moral high ground to say "I'm still better because my reasons are better" I don't think we need to be the thought police saying which reason is better than the other, the result is the same.

(Not saying you take that stand, I've seen it more in other places.)
Same. All that matters is that people's positions change.

Same. All that matters is that people's positions change.

there's not a conflict between being happy for someone that changed positions, while also still pushing for a collective mindset that is more likely to get the positions right in the first place.

I don't think it has to be an either/or proposition.

there's not a conflict between being happy for someone that changed positions, while also still pushing for a collective mindset that is more likely to get the positions right in the first place.

I don't think it has to be an either/or proposition.
Push for policy not a "collective mindset change".

Its extremely hard (and often counter productive) to push for a complete thought process change. Social engineering is futile when you make that your explicit goal. Change like this is organic and not something that you can convince someone of by logic.

Gay rights has not come about because people were told how to think, its the fact they were exposed and grappled with the issues using their own pre-existing schema which often is religion.

Push for policy not a "collective mindset change".

Its extremely hard (and often counter productive) to push for a complete thought process change. Social engineering is futile when you make that your explicit goal. Change like this is organic and not something that you can convince someone of by logic.

Are you saying the point of activism is only changing votes? What's wrong with attempting to get people to change both how they think and vote? Sure, if only the vote part happens, that's great (and obviously better than a not-vote), but a more lasting change is always preferable (and a lasting change is more likely to have positive effects in other areas) We could have:

1) a society of people that dislikes gays, and thinks they should not have rights
2) a society of people with a dislike of gays, but hey, at least they think their dislike shouldn't be legalized, and votes for equal rights
3) a society where people don't have a dislike of gays, and never had to "struggle with the issue", and of course think they should have rights

2) is obviously preferable to 1), so I'm not saying that it should be thrown out. But I see nothing wrong with still wanting to increase awareness and still pushing for 3). Especially since the type of mindset that supports 3) would more likely have better ideas when it comes to plenty of other political issues. And of course, they would be more likely to have already supported the right side of the issue. And ideally that would be passed on to other people, creating both a healthier cultural environment for gay people and equality under the law.

Gay rights has not come about because people were told how to think, its the fact they were exposed and grappled with the issues using their own pre-existing schema which often is religion.

And there are some people who realized their "pre-existing schema" was limiting, oppressive, and/or a lie, and led them to incorrect conclusions, so they eventually threw it out. Which can also give them the benefit of having a better "schema" in plenty of other areas. And of course, if that pre-existing schema never existed in the first place, they would have been more likely to already be on the right side of the issue.

Again, it's not saying that folks in category 2 are worthless or anything, and obviously they're beneficial in the short term. But I try to always keep in mind the long term goals. It's kind of the same mindset behind supporting Obamacare, while still wanting to push for better foundational changes in our health care system. Or not just wanting people to "believe in" evolution, but instead to actually understand why evolutionary theory (and the scientific process in general) is important.

Not every single person will instantly change their mind of course, but I think it's always worth keeping in mind. With any political issue, really. We can't give everyone a gay son, or hope that they eventually come up progressive biblical interpretations.

Are you saying the point of activism is only changing votes? What's wrong with attempting to get people to change both how they think and vote? Sure, if only the vote part happens, that's great (and obviously better than a not-vote), but a more lasting change is always preferable (and a lasting change is more likely to have positive effects in other areas) We could have:

1) a society of people that dislikes gays, and thinks they should not have rights
2) a society of people with a dislike of gays, but hey, at least they think their dislike shouldn't be legalized, and votes for equal rights
3) a society where people don't have a dislike of gays, and never had to "struggle with the issue", and of course think they should have rights

2) is obviously preferable to 1), so I'm not saying that it should be thrown out. But I see nothing wrong with still wanting to increase awareness and still pushing for 3). Especially since the type of mindset that supports 3) would more likely have better ideas when it comes to plenty of other political issues. And of course, they would be more likely to have already supported the right side of the issue. And ideally that would be passed on to other people, creating both a healthier cultural environment for gay people and equality under the law.

And there are some people who realized their "pre-existing schema" was limiting, oppressive, and/or a lie, and led them to incorrect conclusions, so they eventually threw it out. Which can also give them the benefit of having a better "schema" in plenty of other areas. And of course, if that pre-existing schema never existed in the first place, they would have been more likely to already be on the right side of the issue.

Again, it's not saying that folks in category 2 are worthless or anything, and obviously they're beneficial in the short term. But I try to always keep in mind the long term goals. It's kind of the same mindset behind supporting Obamacare, while still wanting to push for better foundational changes in our health care system. Or not just wanting people to "believe in" evolution, but instead to actually understand why evolutionary theory (and the scientific process in general) is important.

Not every single person will instantly change their mind of course, but I think it's always worth keeping in mind. With any political issue, really. We can't give everyone a gay son, or hope that they eventually come up progressive biblical interpretations.

I don't think your understanding what I'm saying (I shouldn't have used policy since I'm not referring to just votes but their view points on issue). I'm not talking about trying to stop people from trying eliminate homophobia if people agree on the public policy issue but rather the attempt to stop people from using their religion or changing opinions because of experiences to justify their beliefs. I get the feeling some people want everybody to view issues the same way. I think that's flawed. I have no problem with people wanting everybody to agree on the issues but just wanting everybody to agree on thought processes that get them there.

I think people should try to get people to change their viewpoints but we shouldn't be evangelizing "rational secular thinking" in politics (in education and science class I think this is important). We need to target the different things that people use to justify their beliefs to get agreement on issues. If people want to use science to approve of homosexuality or god's love I don't see the problem as long as people realize homophobia is wrong.

My problem with trying to get people to change how they think rarely works, yes you can probably talk about anecdotes but I think just changing views in whatever way (religion, experience, logic) is more important.

I wish more people were rational (though I have problems with rationalism as well) but your not going to force people into that. They need to come to it in their own way.

I don't think your understanding what I'm saying (I shouldn't have used policy since I'm not referring to just votes but their view points on issue). I'm not talking about trying to stop people from trying eliminate homophobia if people agree on the public policy issue but rather the attempt to stop people from using their religion or changing opinions because of experiences to justify their beliefs. I get the feeling some people want everybody to view issues the same way. I think that's flawed. I have no problem with people wanting everybody to agree on the issues but just wanting everybody to agree on thought processes that get them there.

If by "same way" you mean a way that doesn't take supernatural claims into account when making real-world policy decisions, then yes, I'm admittedly guilty of wanting people to "view things the same way". Whether those supernatural claims are trickle-down economics, or divine beings, I generally prefer a society where fewer people make decisions based on those things.

If that's a bad thing, *shrug*.

I think people should try to get people to change their viewpoints but we shouldn't be evangelizing "rational secular thinking" in politics (in education and science class I think this is important).

I guess I don't see why there needs to be a differentiation between education, science, and politics. All 3 should deal with, well, reality. Since when has appealing to the supernatural ever been a better way of making a political decision?

Why not prefer a society where the gay rights discussion could be had based on its real world effects, not on whether it offends some person's preferred supernatural being?

Considering that the driving force behind bigotry against gays has been people's views of what a particular divine being thinks of them, a society that doesn't encourage that rationale probably would've had legal same-sex marriage a long time ago.

We need to target the different things that people use to justify their beliefs to get agreement on issues. If people want to use science to approve of homosexuality or god's love I don't see the problem as long as people realize homophobia is wrong.

And what happens when someone gets a vision that god told them that homophobia is correct? We have a bunch of those people already, after all.

After all, if we've conceded as a society that "yes, what your divine being thinks about this issue is an acceptable way of making decisions about public policy", it's not like you can say they're wrong on a religious basis. Sure, I guess people can throw bible quotes back and forth at each other, in hopes that Nice Jesus will win out over Mean Jesus but ultimately both sides aren't really saying anything solid and lasting. At some point the progressive would have to appeal to how it affects real people and real lives, as that's where the better, and more solid foundation of a case is made.

I'm just saying I'd prefer to skip to that part. And I prefer to live in a society where the primary social attitude is that we should skip to that part. Because I argue that if everyone knew we should skip to that part, the gay rights debate would've been over a long time ago.

It's a tough goal, but I don't think it's an impossible one. Though of course, there's nothing wrong with accepting the victories with the Rob Portman's of the world, while still keeping in mind the larger issue that effectively created the problem in the first place.

My problem with trying to get people to change how they think rarely works, yes you can probably talk about anecdotes but I think just changing views in whatever way (religion, experience, logic) is more important.

We'll have to agree to disagree, as I think you're being a bit fatalistic. You're talking to someone right now that "changed how they think", so it's obviously not some impossible thing. Entire societies that were formerly majority religious (and still even have state religions) often have majority non-religious populations now. I don't think "welp, religions gonna religion, so we always have to discuss everything on their terms" is as obviously true as some people imply. There may be some situations where it's useful...and other cases where it's not.

Obviously, it's not an overnight process, and I even agree that as a short term process with certain people, appealing to them through their religion can work. I just don't think we should leave it at that, or pretend like we can't do better.

I wish more people were rational (though I have problems with rationalism as well) but your not going to force people into that. They need to come to it in their own way.

I don't know why discussion/debate is somehow "forcing people to be rational" (why does this point come up so often when it comes to discussion of supernatural beliefs?). No one's saying to lock up people who base their politics on their supernatural beliefs, lol. We challenge supernatural claims (zero taxes, infinite revenues!) all the time here when it comes to the Republican party, why the sudden fear to challenge supernatural claims when they affect other policies like gay rights?

Now sure, I'm not opposed to getting the support of a Republican on various issues, so for example, if an individual reinterprets things so that they somehow find a way to fit something like nationalized health care and gay rights into the cut-taxes-at-all-costs Republican platform, yay for them. And yay for us, that's at least another vote.

But I'd much rather just have more Democrats and/or liberals in the first place.

"It is generally accepted in American law and U.S. society today '... that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.' I believe that. The civil rights and responsibilities for one must pertain to all.

"Thus, to discriminate against one class and not another is wrong for me," he said in a statement to Tampa Bay Times editorial board.

"If we are endowed by our Creator with rights, then why shouldn't those be attainable by Gays and Lesbians? "Simply put, if The Lord made homosexuals as well as heterosexuals, why should I discriminate against their civil marriage? I shouldn't, and I won't.

"So I will add my name to the petition of senators asking the Supreme Court to declare the law that prohibits gay marriage unconstitutional."
With the full context it is clear that he's being a politician. He's trying to have it both ways . . . both (1) the constitution demands equal rights (bold) and (2) god gave us rights and gays so they are cool (underline).

I wish he would just go with the bold constitutional rights. He's a senator not a Pastor. He represents constituents from all religions.

Again, I'm always happy to have another person on board but I don't think he's gonna sway many religious people with that (2) argument. It is not a good argument and, worse, it is not relevant. But I guess he needs to pander.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom