• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jooney

Yeah, far too many people just think that's how it is and we can't interfere, because then we lose freedom. Like some nebulous idea of freedom is better than actual security (and real freedom for some people). They think too much that the system actually works and makes the best rise to the top. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

My hypothesis is that it is based in the fetishisation of the free market and it being the sole arbiter of who earns what in America. If the most common jobs don’t provide enough economic security then that’s the way it is. Therefore the emphasis is on getting a “good” job, and if you don’t get one, then so be it. This overlooks the fact that in a service based economy, they always has to be a mass body of people doing the jobs that keep the economy going. Someone has to be flipping the burgers, working the tills and cleaning the bedpans. So the discussion needs to shift from “how do I get a good job?” to “how can we make even the most common jobs a secure prospect for those that undertake them?”

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
It is like a Murdoch publication but even worse. It is run by the Moonies and commonly called the Moonie times.. It is basically a subsidized hard-right hack fest.

Jerry Brown smacked on down:
Reporter: So why is it then, that we’re seeing from the bankruptcy though…
Brown Spokesman Gil Duran: There is no bankruptcy. That’s a lie. You’re lying.
Brown: California has a $2-trillion economy.
Reporter: Why am I a liar?
Brown: [...] Are you a Moonie by any chance?

http://wonkette.com/465485/jerry-brown-to-washington-times-reporter-are-you-a-moonie

And that is pretty funny coming from someone once ridiculed as "Governor Moonbeam".

The full exchange is even better:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/cal...brown-takes-on-washington-times-reporter.html

I fear that in the future technology will replace many of these jobs. Self driving cars replacing transportation services, machines that cook food, robots and self checkout replacing customer service workers, 3D printers replacing manufacturing jobs, etc.

How exactly can and will we deal with this?

It's not like the amount of coders needed will be enough for the demand (and I'm sure that soon computers will be able to even do that to an extent soon.)

My hypothesis is that it is based in the fetishisation of the free market and it being the sole arbiter of who earns what in America. If the most common jobs don’t provide enough economic security then that’s the way it is. Therefore the emphasis is on getting a “good” job, and if you don’t get one, then so be it. This overlooks the fact that in a service based economy, they always has to be a mass body of people doing the jobs that keep the economy going. Someone has to be flipping the burgers, working the tills and cleaning the bedpans. So the discussion needs to shift from “how do I get a good job?” to “how can we make even the most common jobs a secure prospect for those that undertake them?”

GAF is a video game hobbyist site. You aren't going to find too many poor or even working class people on this site. Most people on here are at least middle class with a significant amount from the upper class and even flatout rich. Remember the wage thread where people were arguing that $68,000 isn't a high wage? There was one entrepreneur on GAF speaking of how he overcame his humble beginnings of how he climbed the ladder to success because his parents only made a bit more than $70,000 each. I once went to a thread were someone told someone not to go into the medical sector to become a doctor because after paying tuition, taxes, and malpractice insurance doctors on average take home "only $120,000" a year.

Republicans/conservatives do indeed advocate torture. Visit any comment section on any article GAF thread about crime. These aren't meaningful differences.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/cuccinelli-asks-court-to-review-anti-sodomy-ruling

Could this be his "legitimate rape" moment? Lets bring back sodomy laws!

People like this should be repeatedly asked if they've ever engaged in oral sex of any kind. I love seeing conservatives sputter about inappropriateness and right of privacy (which they claim doesn't exist) even as they try to legislate private behavior.

Reading the “Wages stink at America’s most common jobs” thread and others like it over the last few months on GAF has got me down on the attitudes that some people have for those at the lower rungs of our society.

The pervasive attitude that if you work a low-skilled job or don’t have a tertiary education means that you deserve to live a life of little economic security or comfort has to be the most damaging one in society. It dehumanises those who may not have had the same advantages as others growing up, and looks down at people who have made mistakes in their life and use that as justification to keep them on the lowest rungs of the economic ladder.

At some point the country needs to revisit their view on what it means to have an economic system and what purpose should it serve. If the economic system doesn’t provide some level of security for the mass of people, then what’s the point of it?

Whenever I see someone comment about abolishing the minimum wage, I wonder what they think those jobs are actually worth, and who should work at them.

At what point do we ask these people...if you're so concerned about a tyrannical government, why the fuck do you keep demanding more and more money be pumped into defense spending? What is your AK-47 going to do against a drone, or tactical nukes, or any of the other crazy shit the US military has that the regular American citizen has no access to or defense against?

Better yet, why do you keep advocating policies like the Patriot Act or spying on US citizens?

Chichikov

At what point do we ask these people...if you're so concerned about a tyrannical government, why the fuck do you keep demanding more and more money be pumped into defense spending? What is your AK-47 going to do against a drone, or tactical nukes, or any of the other crazy shit the US military has that the regular American citizen has no access to or defense against?

Better yet, why do you keep advocating policies like the Patriot Act or spying on US citizens?
I would ask frame that question from the opposite angle -
If you're hoarding guns so that one day you might kill our troops, why should we exactly give you access to more lethal weapons?

Link

The Autumn Wind
At what point do we ask these people...if you're so concerned about a tyrannical government, why the fuck do you keep demanding more and more money be pumped into defense spending?

If you're hoarding guns so that one day you might kill our troops, why should we exactly give you access to more lethal weapons?
I think it's time to break out the Willy Wonka pic.

I'd delete the stupid fucks on my Facebook but the ONLY thing preventing me is that I need some fresh Facebook tears to look forward too during elections.

bonercop

I fear that in the future technology will replace many of these jobs. Self driving cars replacing transportation services, machines that cook food, robots and self checkout replacing customer service workers, 3D printers replacing manufacturing jobs, etc.

How exactly can and will we deal with this?

It's not like the amount of coders needed will be enough for the demand (and I'm sure that soon computers will be able to even do that to an extent soon.)

I've been thinking the same thing for quite a while. The rate at which technology progresses has been accelerating like crazy for the last couple of decades. This stuff really isn't all that far off, which is mind-blowing on the one hand, but on the other...

We still have political parties all over the developed world peddling trickle-down economics even after decades of failure. People are slow to change, and it's worrisome in the face of problems like this that could hit fast and hard and cause civil unrest.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

I've heard some right wingers say that they're not worried about the nice, freedom loving folks in the army, but from the jack booted thugs at government agencies like the ATF, IRS, and EPA.

I've been thinking the same thing for quite a while. The rate at which technology progresses has been accelerating like crazy for the last couple of decades. This stuff really isn't all that far off, as crazy as it might sound.

We still have political party all over the developed world peddling trickle-down economicsm even after decades of failure. People are slow to change, and it's worrisome in the face of problems like this.

Not to mention other things as well. I know I said it before, but I STILL can't believe that people were advocating for intelligence genetic services to be privatized. I mean holy shit. Now THAT'S class warfare.

Chichikov

I've heard some right wingers say that they're not worried about the nice, freedom loving folks in the army, but from the jack booted thugs at government agencies like the ATF, IRS, and EPA.
Tyrants always use civil servants to exact their will, those guys knows history too well.

p.s.
They need assault rifles to fight EPA agents now?
Are they aware that the Simpsons movie is not a documentary?

huh

Wait...what?

WHAT THE FUCK

And isn't it at least a bit unseemly to launch into this "Fuck the First Amendment" bit at the very same time they are pushing how the 2nd Amendment is sacrosanct and was handed down by Jesus himself in order to allow the American Patriots protect themselves the hordes of lesser folk?

bonercop

Not to mention other things as well. I know I said it before, but I STILL can't believe that people were advocating for intelligence genetic services to be privatized. I mean holy shit. Now THAT'S class warfare.

Some people on GAF do seem awfully blasé about the idea that money could buy you talent and intelligence in this hypothetical future.

Geez, that definitely doesn't sound like the recipe for every cyberpunk novel ever.

Jooney

GAF is a video game hobbyist site. You aren't going to find too many poor or even working class people on this site. Most people on here are at least middle class with a significant amount from the upper class and even flatout rich. Remember the wage thread where people were arguing that $68,000 isn't a high wage? There was one entrepreneur on GAF speaking of how he overcame his humble beginnings of how he climbed the ladder to success because his parents only made a bit more than $70,000 each. I once went to a thread were someone told someone not to go into the medical sector to become a doctor because after paying tuition, taxes, and malpractice insurance doctors on average take home "only $120,000" a year.

Really? This is anecdotal of course but I read plenty of posts from Gaffers who identify their incomes as being solidly working class. Then of course there are plenty of students / recent graduates who don’t have much income due to working part time. But I agree with you that there are plenty of others who make a solid salary but use the language of the poor and disenfranchised to describe their station. I quietly shake my head when I read those posts.

But this is all beside the point. While I referenced Gaf threads in my earlier posts, my commentary on how the poor and working class get treated in America are based off observations from following politics and news media for some time. The latest incarnation of the pervasive and belittling attitude towards working class folk was the “takers” meme during the election, and it was disheartening (and illuminating) to read the disdain-infused commentary of people from (mainly) the conservative side about how people in lower stations in life somehow deserve it. It’s the symptom of a culture that has placed far too much value on the individual’s role in determining their economic prosperity. It’s also one that has forgotten the struggles of the 20th century labor movement and its success in building a booming middle-class economic engine, as well as the role that Government can play in leveling the playing field and putting enough rungs on the ladder to help people on the bottom to climb their way up.

I make $8.25 an hour.

Some people on GAF do seem awfully blasé about the idea that money could buy you talent and intelligence in this hypothetical future.

Geez, that definitely doesn't sound like the recipe for every cyberpunk novel ever.

I personally believe that it relates much to the old cliche question of "Why doesn't the top general command the army instead of the president?" people who are a little too obsessed with something tend to make insane decisions. A lot of GAF consists of tech freaks who tend to be sci-fi nerds and dream of a Star Trek future. This is perfectly find of course however it can be a problem as some see some things and don't look at it rationally. "You can't hault technology! Send it to the private enterprise! The sooner this gets off the ground, the sooner my comic book science fiction universe becomes science fact!" Obviously not everyone who's into that stuff acts like this, hell I'm into that stuff, but it is a recognizable segment on this site.

Really? This is anecdotal of course but I read plenty of posts from Gaffers who identify their incomes as being solidly working class. Then of course there are plenty of students / recent graduates who don’t have much income due to working part time. But I agree with you that there are plenty of others who make a solid salary but use the language of the poor and disenfranchised to describe their station. I quietly shake my head when I read those posts.
They don't post often but they make up a large majority of non-student GAF. Just go to a "what is your profession?" or "what is your income?" thread.

But how much do you make when you add up all the goodies Obama gave you?

Pretty much. Typical leech of society. Go to a college you bum and get a degree on STEM so you can get a REAL job. You aren't a teenager or some early twenty-something. I'm sick of my taxes going to your wages!

789shadow

Banned
Adding to the absurdity of people thinking guns will actually help against a hypothetical tyrannical government, the government doesn't even need to send in troops anymore. They can kill whoever they want whenever they want with drones.

About the disability-industrial complex:

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/344606/disability-lawyer-responds-jonah-goldberg

This is the most interesting and honest defense of the current system I’ve seen. It’s an e-mail from a lawyer:

Jonah,

I’ve read your work for years, always found it interesting and am one of those evil disability lawyers who go around convincing people to get sarcoidosis, copd and hepatitis C for the wonderful opportunity to get $1000/ mo from the government after surviving on nothing for 2.5 years waiting for a hearing, to give you an example of my last 3 hearings. I obviously feel the need to add a little context to what disability really is and isn’t from someone on the front line of the issue. Take it for what it’s worth, but here is what you need to understand in context:

– SSD beneficiaries are overwhelmingly poor, overwhelmingly uneducated and of low intelligence, and just in general people with marginal skills. My typical client is over 50, has at most a GED if that, has worked heavy strenuous jobs with lots of lifting, carrying etc. I’d say about 10% of them are completely illiterate, 25% marginally literate and some are actually mentally retarded. I can count on one hand the people I have had over the years with a college degree. When these people develop a condition at age 52 and are unable to continue to do their heavy construction job, exactly what is a 52 year-old with a 8th grade education limited to sit-down work only who can barely read and write supposed to do? Become newspaper columnists? Oh, to make it even better, they cannot get any health care (in my state, you must be disabled to qualify for Medicaid) so whatever condition they have has festered and become far more serious since they had to stop working.

– In case you haven’t noticed, the jobs available for low-skilled or marginally skilled workers have been cratering now for years. Blame NAFTA, free trade, globalization, whatever, the fact is those jobs are fast disappearing or have already disappeared. Oh, by the way, add in about 20 million low-skilled or marginally skilled legal and illegal immigrants to compete for those jobs that are available. So our 56 year-old guy with a bad back now has to compete with not only jobs he has no skills to perform, but for those few jobs he could perform, there are millions of younger people around to compete against.

– SSD can be best understood as early retirement for poor sick people. If you look at it that way, it is in fact quite equitable when the potential SS benefits expected to be paid are calculated. I’ll give you an example from that NPR story. The county in Alabama that has 25% of people on disability is over 50% black. The life expectancy of a black male in that county is all of 66.7 years. Currently, SS retirement age is 65.7 years roughly, meaning a black male in that county could work all his life from age 18, retire at regular age and have a 50% of drawing less than 8 months of benefits, if that, before he dies. The white male life expectancy for the county you live in is 81.1 years. At the average benefit of $1285/month, you will likely draw over $222,000.00 more in benefits over your lifetime than the black dude in the lazy Alabama county. In fact the discrepancy is probably much higher than that, as odds are overwhelming that the guy in Alabama earned far less than you do and so his benefits would be lower and yours would be higher. You can say that is only fair because you paid more taxes in, but even that doesn’t even things out when you count the 16.1 years you will get Medicare benefits to the 8 months he will plus the substantial upper income tax benefits from 401K’s.

– SSD modulates in a very small way the substantial advantages social security retirement gives to upper income, primarily white, educated people. If you are upper income, white and educated (notice I say AND not OR, the primary factor here being upper income more than race, poor whites are approaching black mortality rates in recent years) you have a number of advantages over poor, uneducated people. You will live longer, a lot longer on average. You will work longer, again a lot longer on average, because your work is much easier and you have many more transferrable skills, so if your job disappears, you can do something else. So if a poor, black guy draws disability from age 55 to when he dies at age 64, you can say he’s lazy and got all these government benefits that you don’t get, but in the big picture it is just shifting retirement to an earlier time to where he can actually see some of it. Personally, I think that is fair; upper income, well educated people have done very well over the last half century, lower income, less educated people have not. We can argue the why’s but you can’t really argue the whether.

– If I ruled the world, I would have a different disability system; I think there are instances where it is too hard to get off disability even with medical improvement; children’s disability should certainly be changed; there should be ways to encourage work while on disability without fear of immediately losing benefits etc. On the whole however, disability is something that slightly evens out the vast advantages the fortunate have in our society over the less fortunate. I can tell you this without hesitation – there is no client I have ever gotten disability for who I would trade places with, ever.

If you read this, I appreciate it, I realize it is long. Anyway, that is some food for thought.

Aside from my whore pills Link mentioned, (thanks for that, Link), the only major things I've gotten recently was last week when I bought bras and BioShock: Infinite. Do those count as Obama goodies?

I'm already writing the outraged story about a poor person having something nice and new.

bonercop

But this is all beside the point. While I referenced Gaf threads in my earlier posts, my commentary on how the poor and working class get treated in America are based off observations from following politics and news media for some time. The latest incarnation of the pervasive and belittling attitude towards working class folk was the “takers” meme during the election, and it was disheartening (and illuminating) to read the disdain-infused commentary of people from (mainly) the conservative side about how people in lower stations in life somehow deserve it. It’s the symptom of a culture that has placed far too much value on the individual’s role in determining their economic prosperity. It’s also one that has forgotten the struggles of the 20th century labor movement and its success in building a booming middle-class economic engine, as well as the role that Government can play in leveling the playing field and putting enough rungs on the ladder to help people on the bottom to climb their way up.

One thing that struck me as an outsider who's only recently(a year or so) been following American politics a bit more closely is the way America coddles their "small business owners". Any discussion about economic policy, in both the American media and the internet, is always laden with rhetoric about how precious and fragile these entrepreneurs are.

They don't post often but they make up a large majority of non-student GAF. Just go to a "what is your profession?" or "what is your income?" thread.

To be fair, though: "what is your IQ?", "How educated are you?" and "how many girls are you fucking at the same time right now?" threads tend to be filled with a rather disproportionate number of superhumans and geniuses compared to average plebs as well.

When an entire thread of people is saying they're all 6'0 foot tall, successful businessmen with huge cocks and salaries -- I imagine it's a little difficult to admit it when you're some dude barely scraping by, especially in a culture that hates its poors so much.

Aside from my whore pills Link mentioned, (thanks for that, Link), the only major things I've gotten recently was last week when I bought bras and BioShock: Infinite. Do those count as Obama goodies?
A $60 video game? You piece of shit.

To be fair, though: "what is your IQ?", "How educated are you?" and "how many girls are you fucking at the same time right now?" threads tend to be filled with a rather disproportionate number of superhumans and geniuses compared to average plebs as well.

When an entire thread of people is saying they're all 6'0 foot tall, successful businessmen with huge cocks and salaries -- I imagine it's a little difficult to admit it when you're some dude barely scraping by, especially in a culture that hates its poors so much.

Good point. I just feel that reading many threads in GAF that a lot of people here come from a somewhat privileged background. Of course I could be wrong.

789shadow

Banned
Good point. I just feel that reading many threads in GAF that a lot of people here come from a somewhat privileged background. Of course I could be wrong.
I feel the same. I think most lower middle class-working class people wouldn't be wasting time on an internet forum.

Holy crap at bill o'reilly segment on abortion.

said Abortion is Planned Parenthoods main business.

I saw that, lol. He even hit Obama and Hollywood in the segment.

I am annoyed by the "wah my tax dollars go to abortion" argument. Hey, you gonna agree to not make me pay taxes for torture, then? Oh, morals don't matter all of a sudden?

Jooney

It's really amazing how these people are able to make completely untrue statements as if they are facts without any kind of consequences.

For what it’s worth, Stewert, Colbert and the twitterverse went to town on Kyl for saying that.

Also, I don't know how some of you guys continue to watch O'Reilly or Fox in general when it's clearly a blatant oppositionist propaganda network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom