• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it’s worth, Stewert, Colbert and the twitterverse went to town on Kyl for saying that.

Also, I don't know how some of you guys continue to watch O'Reilly or Fox in general when it's clearly a blatant oppositionist propaganda network.

Ever slow down to see a car crash on the highway?

For what it’s worth, Stewert, Colbert and the twitterverse went to town on Kyl for saying that.

Also, I don't know how some of you guys continue to watch O'Reilly or Fox in general when it's clearly a blatant oppositionist propaganda network.

I enjoy the ludicrousness of it all. I don't watch Fox, but I read conservative editorials and blog comments. I like knowing what's kicking around in those circles so I can be ready for it, and also, to be fair, there's probably some small element of feeling superior involved. A good, condensed nugget of paranoid, ignorant conservative nonsense is like my equivalent of a funny cat picture, except I also enjoy funny cat pictures.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Aside from my whore pills Link mentioned, (thanks for that, Link), the only major things I've gotten recently was last week when I bought bras and [BioShock: Infinite. Do those count as Obama goodies?

A leftist playing Bioshock. Oh, the ironing.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Sure, they'll get burned on the internet, or sometimes they'll just run away from CNN, but how about some real consequences? They never even apologize when they're confronted, they just change the subject or scream louder.

I don't watch it, but the highlights make their way to me, either through here or Stewart/Colbert.

Oblivion

If anyone else enjoys watching David Brooks getting used as a punching bag, here's a Taibbi teardown of his latest turd of a column.

Always have time for a Brooks beatdown, especially by Taibbi:

Marriage is one of those institutions – along with religion and military service – that restricts freedom. Marriage is about making a commitment that binds you for decades to come. It narrows your options on how you will spend your time, money and attention.

Gee – really? Boy, those gays and lesbians are sure going to be in for a shock when they find out that being in a committed relationship involves constraints on behavior. That'll be some unpleasant new ground they'll be breaking there.

What an asshole!

The condescension is bad, but the argument is even worse. Brooks is trying to make a "point" here – he takes something like 800 words to make it, but it boils down to a single snarky observation: "Isn't it ironic that these same people who've been fighting for the right to personal indulgence for all these decades since the Sixties are now fighting for the right to be legally restrained?"

What a dick.

GhaleonEB

So tonight my wife finds an old school craft project from when she was in grade school. It's a packet of sorts, stitched around the outside to make a padded mat. She opens it up and finds two full newspapers inside, the Waterloo Courier from August 15 and May 23, 1982.

Thought PoliGAF might get a kick out of this one:
IMG_8323_zpscec8e804.jpg

You could probably melt some conservative minds with that headline.

Movies showing and car ads here, both amazing.

Oblivion

If only Reagan was alive today, our deficit problems would be solved once and for all. :(

Angry Fork

Movies showing and car ads here, both amazing.

I saved the New York Times newspaper the day Obama was elected, still have it. Hopefully I can manage to keep it until I get old.

edit - That reminds me of this, someone posted it on gaf a while ago I don't remember when, thought it was amusing.

Oblivion

I saved the New York Times newspaper the day Obama was elected, still have it. Hopefully I can manage to keep it until I get old.

edit - That reminds me of this, someone posted it on gaf a while ago I don't remember when, thought it was amusing.

That can't be real.

Can it?

Please?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That can't be real.

Can it?

Please?

It was. You need to remember that it was during the Cold War and he was fighting the Soviets at the time. Half the horrible shit going on in the world today is a result of the Cold War. The other half was caused by the era of colonization. Seriously, like 90% of all the international problems have their roots in those two time periods. The western world has literally caused all it's own problems.

Sure, they'll get burned on the internet, or sometimes they'll just run away from CNN, but how about some real consequences? They never even apologize when they're confronted, they just change the subject or scream louder.
But they don't get kicked out of office! I can tell you that I hate it when candidates which support my positions are ignorant morons that spew nonsense. I want them out of there. And I certainly wouldn't donate to them. But if you spew nonsense paranoid conspiracies on the right . . . it is a feature! You get loads of donations! Not being attached to reality is rewarded! That just really annoys me.

Chichikov

It was. You need to remember that it was during the Cold War and he was fighting the Soviets at the time. Half the horrible shit going on in the world today is a result of the Cold War. The other half was caused by the era of colonization. Seriously, like 90% of all the international problems have their roots in those two time periods. The western world has literally caused all it's own problems.
It's like 90% colonialism.
And it's usually the English, though to be fair, this is mostly a result of the size of their empire. I mean, not that one wish for such things, but if I must be colonized, I'd rather it's the poms than the Germans.

Don't get me wrong, it sucked fucking balls to be a british colony, but at least it was for profit!

4TJeSDh.png

New gun study!

While many factors contribute to the rates of gun violence in any state, our research clearly demonstrates a significant correlation between the strength of a state’s gun laws and the prevalence of gun violence in the state. Across the key indicators of gun violence that we analyzed, the 10 states with the weakest gun laws collectively have a level of gun violence that is more than twice as high—104 percent higher—than the 10 states with the strongest gun laws.

Another snippet:

Missouri
While federal law requires a background check before a licensed gun
dealer can sell a gun, it currently does not require background checks
for private sales between individuals. For a number of years, the state of
Missouri filled this gap in federal law by requiring background checks for
all gun sales, including private sales. In 2007, however, Missouri rolled
back its laws by eliminating the requirement that an individual obtain a
purchase permit for all handgun purchases, the effect of which was to
permit gun sales between private parties without a background check.32
This change in the law appears to have had an almost-immediate
negative impact on gun violence in the state. An analysis by Mayors
Against Illegal Guns shows that in the three years following the repeal
of the private-sale background-check requirement, the gun-murder
rate in Missouri rose by nearly 25 percent, from an average of 4.6 gun
murders for every 100,000 residents each year between 1999 and
2007 to an average of 5.7 gun murders for every 100,000 residents
each year from 2008 to 2010.33

Weakening the background-check law also made it easier for
criminals to buy guns in the state. This resulted in an increase in the
number of guns bought in the state that were recovered at crime
scenes—from 55 percent of crime guns prior to the repeal to 70
percent of crime guns recovered after the repeal—and a doubling of
the number of guns recovered at a crime scene within two years of
their original purchase.34

Johns Hopkins University researchers studying these data and the
effects of the repeal have preliminarily concluded that this change
in the law was a primary cause of the increase in gun murders and
trafficking indicators.35

Apologies, too lazy to format.

http://www.americanprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/AmericaUnderTheGun.pdf

Worthy of a new thread?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's like 90% colonialism.
And it's usually the English, though to be fair, this is mostly a result of the size of their empire. I mean, not that one wish for such things, but if I must be colonized, I'd rather it's the poms than the Germans.

All of Africa is colonialism. NK/SK and terrorism in the Middle East is the Cold War. We funded a lot of these terrorist groups during that time frame, that's not saying that whole thing isn't fucked up by colonialism too. If you go back far enough with all our problems the roots are in colonialism. But the Cold War fucked up the way we look at Foreign Policy for entire generations. It'll only get better when everyone in the government eventually gets replaced by people who didn't know the Cold War. Then again the War on Terror will color their policy...so we're pretty fucked either way.

Link

The Autumn Wind
But they don't get kicked out of office! I can tell you that I hate it when candidates which support my positions are ignorant morons that spew nonsense. I want them out of there. And I certainly wouldn't donate to them. But if you spew nonsense paranoid conspiracies on the right . . . it is a feature! You get loads of donations! Not being attached to reality is rewarded! That just really annoys me.
Exactly. They actually get more from lying by getting on Fox News and riling up their base. It's completely fucked.

My dad has a bunch of old newspapers covering important events dating back to the 70's. I'll go through them and see if there's anything interesting to share.

4TJeSDh.png

New gun study!

Another snippet:

http://www.americanprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/AmericaUnderTheGun.pdf

Worthy of a new thread?
Definitely.

Oblivion

Oh I'm aware that the Taliban were considered sorta the good guys during that time, but when narrowing it down to specific figures like OBL, it could get a little iffy.

Awesome.

Piecake

4TJeSDh.png

New gun study!

Another snippet:

Worthy of a new thread?

Goes well with the rate of suicide statistics as well. I honestly have no idea how anyone can claim that its not the guns, its the people with all of this data. It must be sheer coincidence that there are a lot of evil, murderous people or super depressed people with no access to mental health care in states with lax gun laws/high ownership rates

Yup, that has to be it

Chichikov

All of Africa is colonialism. NK/SK and terrorism in the Middle East is the Cold War. We funded a lot of these terrorist groups during that time frame, that's not saying that whole thing isn't fucked up by colonialism too. If you go back far enough with all our problems the roots are in colonialism. But the Cold War fucked up the way we look at Foreign Policy for entire generations. It'll only get better when everyone in the government eventually gets replaced by people who didn't know the Cold War. Then again the War on Terror will color their policy...so we're pretty fucked either way.
The Middle east is mostly colonialism.
Jordan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Israel are a creation of the British, Lebanon of the French.
The shit in Iran and Iraq all the started in colonial times.

Anyway, I think in general terms it's probably more fair to say that most of your cold war conflicts have their roots in colonial times.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Jordan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Israel are a creation of the British, Lebanon of the French.

Anyway, I think in general terms it's probably more fair to say that most of your cold war conflicts have their roots in colonial times.

I won't argue against this.

I blame the Romans or Greeks, maybe the mongols.

Do they attempt to draw any conclusions about other factors, like state economies, socioeconomic makeup and sentencing policies? Most of the states colored red in that map have myriad things all going wrong together.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=534507

Thread on the gun violence study.

Do they attempt to draw any conclusions about other factors, like state economies, socioeconomic makeup and sentencing policies? Most of the states colored red in that map have myriad things all going wrong together.

You could read the study.

It really shouldn't be surprising. It's true world-wide. Stricter gun laws = less gun violence and gun suicides.

I bet states bordering states with weaker gun laws see less of an impact of stricter gun laws, too.

Goes well with the rate of suicide statistics as well. I honestly have no idea how anyone can claim that its not the guns, its the people with all of this data. It must be sheer coincidence that there are a lot of evil, murderous people or super depressed people with no access to mental health care in states with lax gun laws/high ownership rates

Yup, that has to be it
And that is why the NRA fought so hard to prevent anyone from collecting data and doing research on gun violence.

The statistics are quite clear and irrefutable. So people go into denial, cite anecdotes instead, blame other things, etc. I wish people would just admit that they they don't give a shit if a lot of people have to die as a side-effect, they want access to their toys.

The same can certainly be said about cars. And from that honest reality, lets set up system to let people have their toys while also minimizing deaths like we do with cars. And let's constantly reevaluate the situation and make regulatory adjustments like we do with cars.

You could read the study.

Factors such as gun trafficking across state lines, overall crime patterns, and
other socioeconomic issues in a state all play a role in gun-violence rates.
The answer is no :/. I'd love to see the R^2s for these other factors. I absolutely support gun control and regulation, I was just genuinely interested in a more comprehensive study, because this isn't all that new or revelatory. Sorry if I came off as flippant.

Is it just me, or is this whole "NK is going to nuke shit up" getting massively underplayed?

If Iran had made a similar threat, the air raid sirens would be going off and the draft would have been implemented.

I mean, yeah, I know NK is 99% likely to just be digging for food aid....

But still.

Compare with the Iran rhetoric of only a year ago, when it seemed like Romneys second day in office would be to declare war.

The answer is no :/. I'd love to see the R^2s for these other factors. I absolutely support gun control and regulation, I was just genuinely interested in a more comprehensive study, because this isn't all that new or revelatory. Sorry if I came off as flippant.

It will probably take a while for more comprehensive studies to come about because the stats weren't compiled much. But now there seems to be a real push against the NRA and they're anti-stat agenda and hopefully this leads to those more comprehensive studies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Is it just me, or is this whole "NK is going to nuke shit up" getting massively underplayed?

If Iran had made a similar threat, the air raid sirens would be going off and the draft would have been implemented.

But still.

Compare with the Iran rhetoric of only a year ago, when it seemed like Romneys second day in office would be to declare war.

Nah, they pull this shit like once a year. This whole thing is just Un placating his generals, basically saying "Look! See, I'm tough enough to run the country!" That and they really need some food.

Nah, they pull this shit like once a year. This whole thing is just Un placating his generals, basically saying "Look! See, I'm tough enough to run the country!" That and they really need some food.

I think its a little different this time because 1) they actually have a bomb now and 2) for all we know the new guy is clinically insane

And that is why the NRA fought so hard to prevent anyone from collecting data and doing research on gun violence.

The statistics are quite clear and irrefutable. So people go into denial, cite anecdotes instead, blame other things, etc. I wish people would just admit that they they don't give a shit if a lot of people have to die as a side-effect, they want access to their toys.

The same can certainly be said about cars. And from that honest reality, lets set up system to let people have their toys while also minimizing deaths like we do with cars. And let's constantly reevaluate the situation and make regulatory adjustments like we do with cars.

The car comparison is really disingenuous just because most of us who love to drive already know that our licensing requirements and driver's ed is seriously lax. Stuff like the runaway Toyota's were all driver's error and with a bit more training easily avoidable.

As a motorcyclist, it's even worse. You just need a written permit to buy a superbike and many states don't have helmet laws even. Something like tiered licensing would definitely help.

Happened upon Morning Joe for a minute and it was Mrs. Dan Senor doing her best Sealab 2021 Bizarro Quinn helping.

Campbell Brown: The President Gives Hollywood a Pass on Violence
Movies and videogames aren't high among White House concerns.

The president's campaign against gun violence has produced a stale debate
Campbell (No Bias, No Bull) Brown is here to shake it up with not even fresh bullshit. It's 1 part warmed over right-wing nonsense, 1 part Itchy & Scratchy & Marge.

*restrict violence on television that can be seen by young people
*end to channel "bundling" by cable and satellite companies
*institute a real movie ratings system

The cool idea a lot of people like just to knee-cap content providers and or just save them money on the TV bill sandwich between the worthless/impracticable. Back in the 90s with V-Chip it was cool and functional. In the age of broadband connected devices everywhere you look like a moron proposing it.

But she saves the best for last.

The president has been more than willing to challenge the National Rifle Association
wOTfQY2.gif

And again the Op-Ed subtitle, as if it should be on a Schindler-esk list. Movies and videogames aren't high among White House concerns. If that ever got near the top of a paper it should be transferred into TP.

But still.

Iran is a bigger boogeymans in the eyes of media because they have oil. So if Iran says they are building peaceful nuclear power, THEY HAVE WMDs EVERYONE PANIC WE ARE GOING TO DIE SEND IN THE MARINES. But when NK claims that they will have nukes ready within 6 months, don't panic folks. It's just a bluff because NK lol.

NK is dirt. No big haliburton contracts there. Iran has some of the largest oil reserves on earth. Obviously neocons and Texan oilmen want to invade Iran and not NK.

Iran is a bigger boogeymans in the eyes of media because they have oil. So if Iran says they are building peaceful nuclear power, THEY HAVE WMDs EVERYONE PANIC WE ARE GOING TO DIE SEND IN THE MARINES. But when NK claims that they will have nukes ready within 6 months, don't panic folks. It's just a bluff because NK lol.

NK is dirt. No big haliburton contracts there. Iran has some of the largest oil reserves on earth. Obviously neocons and Texan oilmen want to invade Iran and not NK.

You forget the conservative sacred cow that is Israel. Anyone who criticizes it is an enemy.

Oblivion

Happened upon Morning Joe for a minute and it was Mrs. Dan Senor doing her best Sealab 2021 Bizarro Quinn helping.

Campbell Brown: The President Gives Hollywood a Pass on Violence
Movies and videogames aren't high among White House concerns.

The president's campaign against gun violence has produced a stale debate
Campbell (No Bias, No Bull) Brown is here to shake it up with not even fresh bullshit. It's 1 part warmed over right-wing nonsense, 1 part Itchy & Scratchy & Marge.

*restrict violence on television that can be seen by young people
*end to channel "bundling" by cable and satellite companies
*institute a real movie ratings system

The cool idea a lot of people like just to knee-cap content providers and or just save them money on the TV bill sandwich between the worthless/impracticable. Back in the 90s with V-Chip it was cool and functional. In the age of broadband connected devices everywhere you look like a moron proposing it.

But she saves the best for last.

wOTfQY2.gif

And again the Op-Ed subtitle, as if it should be on a Schindler-esk list. Movies and videogames aren't high among White House concerns. If that ever got near the top of a paper it should be transferred into TP.

I saw that this morning. Couldn't stop rolling my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom