• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

codhand

Rosa Delauro's "no" vote places her in upper echelon of all-time best House members.

220px-Rosa_DeLauro_Portrait.jpg

God bless this woman.

Blader

If Obama's big legislative battles this year are going to be an assault weapons ban and immigration reform, two popular and fairly easy to understand things (unlike the ACA), their messaging and misinformation won't work so easily.

That just means Tea Party supporters won't have to work as hard. Trying to convince people why they wouldn't want healthcare is one thing, reminding people why they'd like to keep their guns and why they don't like immigrants is a separate and probably easier task.

s7evn

Assuming you're serious, his last name is Germanic, specifically North German meaning "to board".

German pronunciations are all kinds of fucked up.

Böhner looks much better. Also I'm now wishing his name was Philotheus Boehner since it's a redirect at the top of his wiki page.

RDreamer

How and why is Boehner pronounced "Bain"-er and not Boner?

My last name has an oe in it too, and we pronounce it as -ay. I never really understood why. My name's German, so that's definitely not the original pronunciation either.

So I just never get bothered when people mispronounce it.

Assuming you're serious, his last name is Germanic, specifically North German meaning "to board".

German pronunciations are all kinds of fucked up.

That wouldn't be the authentic German pronunciation though would it? With my last name the real german pronunciation is closer to an -er or - ur sort of sound (but we don't really have an equivalent here). I'd assume his is the same.

Unless there's a different dialect that does indeed pronounce it with an -ay sound.

Clevinger

doesn't he have until the end of the month to do it?

No. That's if he can get McConnell to agree to pass any bipartisan filibuster reform (lol). He has today and only today where he can make the major, needed changes with just a majority vote.

His plan now is to try to bargain a deal with McConnell, in one of the dumbest and cowardly political moves I've seen in a long time. If there's any reform, it'll be small and toothless.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Transocean to pay $1.4B fine for Gulf oil spillDonna Leinwand Leger, USA TODAY1:11p.m. EST January 3, 2013

Transocean , the drilling company implicated in the three-month Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, will plead guilty to violating the Clean Water Act and pay a $1.4 billion fine, the Justice Department said Thursday.

Justice filed the agreement in a Louisiana court Thursday. A judge must approve the settlement.

In the agreement, Transocean admits criminal conduct and agrees to improve its safety procedures and emergency response at all its drilling rigs operating in U.S. waters, the Justice Department said.

Transocean's crew continued operating even after they saw signs of problems that resulted in the April 20, 2010 explosion that killed 11 rig workers and led to the largested oil spill in U.S. history, assistant attorney general Lanny Breuer said.

The guilty plea acknowledges that the Transocean crew, under direction of BP's well-site company men, failed to investigate "clear indications" that the Macondo well was not secure and that oil and gas were flowing into the well, the Justice Department said.

The settlement "brings us one significant step closer to justice for the human, environmental and economic devastation wrought by the Deepwater Horizon disaster," Attorney General Eric Holder said. "This agreement holds Transocean criminally accountable for its conduct."

The order filed in court Thursday dedicates $150 million of a $400 million criminal fine to restoring coastal areas and barrier islands damaged by the spill.

Another $150 million will pay for improved oil spill prevention and response development and training. At least 80% of the $1 billion civil fine will fund environmental and economic projects in the five Gulf states affected by the spill

#################

Finally they are forced to pay up.

No. That's if he can get McConnell to agree to pass any bipartisan filibuster reform (lol). He has today and only today where he can make the major, needed changes with just a majority vote.

His plan now is to try to bargain a deal with McConnell, in one of the dumbest and cowardly political moves I've seen in a long time. If there's any reform, it'll be small and toothless.

He has the whole month.

thekad

Banned
Seeing as how Republicans have more interest in not seeing the sequestration cuts go into effect, if Obama did decide to negotiate on the debt ceiling, couldn't he just end the sequestration cuts in exchange for a raise of the ceiling? And after everything, EV gets his wish: no deficit reduction at all.

FyreWulff

He has the month because he's using a loophole where he puts them into recess instead of ending the day/session/whatever they call it

Clevinger

He has the month because he's using a loophole where he puts them into recess instead of ending the day/session/whatever they call it

Ah. I thought it was just an option he could do. I didn't know he's doing it.

I'll reserve my harsh judgment on him for a month then, but I'm not optimistic about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom