• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chichikov

Netanyahu sees himself as some kind of biblical hero fighting another biblical Persian villain. He's wrong though, Iran is just playing geopolitics not antisemitism
Nah, he's just an opportunistic politician who will do anything to get elected so he can push Bush era neo-liberal economic policies and make mad money on the back side.
When it was politically expedient he was all "moderate right wing"

Not a big fan of Jerusalem but Israel in general is a good place. Just a hell of a lot of issues, problems, discrimination, occupation to work though
Fuck Jerusalem.
We used to say that the best thing about it is the road to Tel Aviv
though to be fair, they had some good chillout clubs in the 90s, and sahlab and Jerusalem mixed grill are the bomb, but as a whole, fuck it; ten measures of crazy went down to the world, and Jerusalem took 9

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Uh oh. CBS says that support for Obamacare is at an all time low. Just a scant 55% of the public wants to keep it. If only Mitt Romney were president. :(

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Ugh.

I actually think it would accomplish quite a bit. When you have a visual of specific politicians filibustering something, that makes it real and concrete for a lot of people. It's no longer an abstraction. It's not some vague notion of not being able to reach a certain number of votes. It's, this man is standing there obstructing a law or appointment from happening.

Look at the attention the Wendy Davis filibuster received. Or the fake filibuster by Ted Cruz. These throw the debate into the public light in a big way.

Fox318

Iran sets 'red lines' for nuclear negotiators in Geneva (cbc)

So bellicose, and yet so careful to hedge everything in the diplomatic process.

Americans support an Iran nuclear deal 2 to 1. That’s a big deal. (Max Fisher, WashPo)

Screen-Shot-2013-11-20-at-10.14.14-AM.png

Congress once again out to lunch, keeping company with Israel. China backing talks and outright telling Iran to pursue them. Khamenei not (yet) materially interfering. Detente is agonizingly looming.

See they support a deal to nuke Iran.

#truth

Ugh.

I actually think it would accomplish quite a bit. When you have a visual of specific politicians filibustering something, that makes it real and concrete for a lot of people. It's no longer an abstraction. It's not some vague notion of not being able to reach a certain number of votes. It's, this man is standing there obstructing a law or appointment from happening.

Look at the attention the Wendy Davis filibuster received. Or the fake filibuster by Ted Cruz. These throw the debate into the public light in a big way.

This isn't legislation, though. Nobody besides political scientists will be outrageD by the need to place judges on benches or appoint a person in the government.

Additionally, I doubt the effectiveness of talking filibuster. David and Cruz received a lot of attention, yes, but in the end they ultimately failed to get what they wanted.

Ugh.

That may be the case for issues of interest like abortion or Obamacare, but what about filibusters of issues less important to people's lives and interests, like a farm bill or nominee? Then you're left with the same result of obstruction for obstruction's sake with no consequences.

Iran sets 'red lines' for nuclear negotiators in Geneva (cbc)

So bellicose, and yet so careful to hedge everything in the diplomatic process.

Americans support an Iran nuclear deal 2 to 1. That’s a big deal. (Max Fisher, WashPo)

Screen-Shot-2013-11-20-at-10.14.14-AM.png

Congress once again out to lunch, keeping company with Israel. China backing talks and outright telling Iran to pursue them. Khamenei not (yet) materially interfering. Detente is agonizingly looming.

I am very encouraged by the American people's mature attitude here. Of course, it is probably largely caused by a war-weary population that realizes how amazingly stupid it would be to have a war. I guess some times you need to learn the hard way.

It's amazing, however not surprising, that senators (including a few democrats) would rather destroy negotiations than take up this matter seriously. China and Russia are at the table, this is not a moment that can or should be wasted. I realize a lot of this is just posturing for donors and Israel, but it has real life consequences. I've never been convinced that many of these folks want peace. A permanent level of aggression and conflict benefits them far more.

It is not surprising, it is just sad. And I find it ironic that the very people who bash Muslims as being crazy & bad are often the very ones who have their own stupid theocratic views. This country does have a sizable minority of people that would be just fine with ethnically cleansing away the Palestinians because that would help Jesus come back sooner.

A deal with Iran, if it can be reached, could very well end up being one of Obama's biggest achievements. And it really came out of nowhere. I guess the Iranians are just tired of the sanctions and want to join the rest of the world.

I thought opening up Cuba might have become a big Obama achievement if he was able to do it but Iran would be much bigger. And fuck Bibi and Saudis for their whinging about such a possible deal. Deal with it.

That may be the case for issues of interest like abortion or Obamacare, but what about filibusters of issues less important to people's lives and interests, like a farm bill or nominee? Then you're left with the same result of obstruction for obstruction's sake with no consequences.

No, by requiring affirmative action, it would make it harder to filibuster anything. Filibustering is just like anything else. The easier you make, the more it will happen. The harder you make it, the less it will happen.

Tamanon

Banned
MSNBC certainly isn't that much better in that regard it seems. They're really going hard at the FOX-in-a-different-jersey theme.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
American Exceptionalism brought to you by Fox News™

Ignoring the "Obummercare bad!" angle, the fact that they refused to report on the strongest hurricane/typhoon hitting land is a travesty.

MSNBC is almost as bad from the looks of it. Crazily enough it looks like only CNN (and Al Jazeera America) had their priorities in order with that story.

On a side note, what the hell is going on with CNN lately? Did someone point them towards their backbone?

I thought opening up Cuba might have become a big Obama achievement if he was able to do it but Iran would be much bigger. And fuck Bibi and Saudis for their whinging about such a possible deal. Deal with it.
As soon as Castro dies well open up. No matter the president's party. It's all egos now.

MSNBC certainly isn't that much better in that regard it seems. They're really going hard at the FOX-in-a-different-jersey theme.
They're line up till 8 is crap. Hayes, maddow and their weekend morning line up are amazing in that they focus on under reported but vital stories. Hayes and MPH especially they're the only two who do any stories on minorities, the poor and marginalized

Sibylus

Banned
It is not surprising, it is just sad. And I find it ironic that the very people who bash Muslims as being crazy & bad are often the very ones who have their own stupid theocratic views. This country does have a sizable minority of people that would be just fine with ethnically cleansing away the Palestinians because that would help Jesus come back sooner.

A deal with Iran, if it can be reached, could very well end up being one of Obama's biggest achievements. And it really came out of nowhere. I guess the Iranians are just tired of the sanctions and want to join the rest of the world.

Outside of the Iranian election and the understandable changed direction, I think the Syrian war also plays a large role in this. With Iran displaced by Russia as Syria's protector and guarantor over the past year and some change, it's acutely isolated and vulnerable, particularly to the Israelis. With the diplomatic outcome they've been forced to seek, they could very well retain civilian nuclear energy, achieve detente with the United States, and leave Israel suddenly passive and impotent. There's a little something for everyone in that outcome for Iran, including the hardliners and the Ayatollah.

MSNBC is almost as bad from the looks of it. Crazily enough it looks like only CNN (and Al Jazeera America) had their priorities in order with that story.

At least they almost covered an hour for it. A little credit there?

But seriously though, the MSNBC time is disgusting. Al-Jazeera America still continues to be the best of the 4.

No, by requiring affirmative action, it would make it harder to filibuster anything. Filibustering is just like anything else. The easier you make, the more it will happen. The harder you make it, the less it will happen.

In theory you're correct, but I don't think this would ultimately fix the problem. Eliminating the filibuster would fix the problem. Elections will have more consequences and importance once filibusters are erased.

I'd probably still allow filibusters of SC judges, and could be talked into keeping filibusters for federal judges. A bad law can be changed or repealed, a judge lasts until he/she dies.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Uh oh. CBS says that support for Obamacare is at an all time low. Just a scant 55% of the public wants to keep it. If only Mitt Romney were president. :(

Did you see the CNN article about how Mitt would be president if the elections were held today? Haha.. what a totally ridiculous and useless article. Our media is so unbelievable.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
A little of topic but there is a little skirmish here and there in Eastern Europe as some countries are having votes to further integrate themselves in the European Union. There is a lot of discord over there apparently and like America they like crazy paintings too.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

No, MSNBC is not Fox-in-a-different-jersey.

Fox = conservatives with token liberal for the conservatives to yell over in morning and at night, a few hours of actual news during the least-watched periods of the day

MSNBC = A few conservative pundits (morning), a few liberals (late night), and a whole lot of ESPN-style "WHO'S GONNA WIN THE GAME, AND HOW DOES THIS EVENT AFFECT THE ELECTION" shenanigans sprinkled throughout the day , afternoon, and primetime.

CNN = "This is what side A says. This is what side B says. We're not going to do any journalism on the matter, though. Whoever gets their talking points out the most wins!" Though they are somewhat competent when covering disasters.

leroidys

They're line up till 8 is crap. Hayes, maddow and their weekend morning line up are amazing in that they focus on under reported but vital stories. Hayes and MPH especially they're the only two who do any stories on minorities, the poor and marginalized

I like Matthews too. Lawrence O'Donnell is totally insufferable though. Almost as bad as anyone on fox.

A little of topic but there is a little skirmish here and there in Eastern Europe as some countries are having votes to further integrate themselves in the European Union. There is a lot of discord over there apparently and like America they like crazy paintings too.

Weird. Motherland good . . . If you go with the Europeans, you are a gay hitler-lover on drugs!

Honestly, as it affects me, information on ACA is much more important than reporting on the typhoon. Sure it tugs at the heartstrings, but beyond that information on death toll, current conditions, etc. are useless.

Personally I'm tired of hearing about it. International disaster reporting is generally a ratings grab with zero relevant content.

I need to temper my optimism on this. It is just not going to happen. The conservatives in either Iran or in the USA will scuttle the deal. I'm more worried about the conservatives here. Congress would need to approve a drop in sanctions and is the GOP lead house going to do that?

No. They'll portray it as Obama selling out to his Muslim brothers.

Ugh.

Wow John Stossell is an uber-asshole.

My god he's saying that charity helped more people than the government in the depression. "Rich people will step up" if we cut social safety nets.

Wilsongt

My god he's saying that charity helped more people than the government in the depression. "Rich people will step up" if we cut social safety nets.

....HAHAHA

Yes, I totallybsee the Waltons helping their cashiers with all that money stored in tax free havens.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

It's amazing to see people pose things in hypothetical terms when we need only look to history for test cases.

It's amazing to see people pose things in hypothetical terms when we need only look to history for test cases.

He did use history (well his invented fake history). Mutual trusts helped more people than the evil government. I swear these people are psychopaths, they have zero empathy nor understand of anybody who didn't fall into riches. Its like bootstraps but they're serious

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
http://nypost.com/2013/11/19/5-pointz-graffiti-erased-in-overnight-paint-job/

The 5 Pointz graffiti was painted over yesterday, why? To build a new million dollar apartment complex where the site is now.

It must suck to live in NYC, having your culture stripped away in order for your city to become a playground for millionaires.

NYC is pretty much ground zero for the New Gilded Age.

If you think that's bad, there were plenty of people in the OT defending this yesterday.

Honestly it never stood a chance, but it was done in a disgusting way. Pretty much everyone in Queens is pissed off about it.

Sibylus

Banned
Brzezinski, Scowcroft Support Obama on Iran (Letter to Senate & House)

I need to temper my optimism on this. It is just not going to happen. The conservatives in either Iran or in the USA will scuttle the deal. I'm more worried about the conservatives here. Congress would need to approve a drop in sanctions and is the GOP lead house going to do that?

No. They'll portray it as Obama selling out to his Muslim brothers.

Ugh.
If the House wants to sabotage the work of diplomats after the ink dries, I say let them fall on that sword if it becomes inevitable.

In a civilised community, although it may be composed of self-reliant individuals, there will be some persons who will be unable at some period of their lives to look after themselves, and the question of what is to happen to them may be solved in three ways – they may be neglected, they may be cared for by the organised community as of right, or they may be left to the goodwill of individuals in the community. The first way is intolerable, and as for the third: Charity is only possible without loss of dignity between equals. A right established by law, such as that to an old age pension, is less galling than an allowance made by a rich man to a poor one, dependent on his view of the recipient's character, and terminable at his caprice.

-Clement Attlee (AKA Britain's best Prime Minister)

If you think that's bad, there were plenty of people in the OT defending this yesterday.

Honestly it never stood a chance, but it was done in a disgusting way. Pretty much everyone in Queens is pissed off about it.

I just find it so depressing, it seems longer the depression goes on and the larger income inequality grows the worse the city gets. It's like someone is sapping the life out of the city and turning it into corporate high rises and Starbucks. The gentrification is so bad in Manhattan but I don't know about the other boroughs.

I really hope de Blasio turns the city around, it's more depressing than it was in the 70s to be honest.

Triton55

So my Assembly District's special election in North Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley) is shockingly close - as in, about half a percent separating the Democrat and Republican. This is a district that voted for Obama by over 60%, and the Republican is a Tea Partier too. There doesn't seem to be any reason for such a narrow Dem margin besides the ACA roll-out combined with expectedly low turnout :/

Congresswoman Grace Meng attacked and robbed in NY
A U.S. congresswoman from New York was attacked and robbed in Washington, D.C., her office said.

Rep. Grace Meng, who represents parts of Queens, was walking home from dinner Tuesday night when she was struck in the back of the head.

The suspect took her handbag and fled on foot.

Meng, 38, suffered a bruise on her chin and was able to return to work Wednesday, her office said.

"While this was a frightening ordeal, I fortunately was not seriously injured," Meng said in a statement. "Obviously, things could have been much worse. I thank the U.S. Capitol Police and the District of Columbia Police for responding quickly and professionally."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom