• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
jDOYHPs.png

Wrap it up, Democratailures

Fox318

CHEEZMO™;90669073 said:
jDOYHPs.png

So, does that person plan to assassinate Sotamoyer? Pretty telling that out of all the liberal judges he/she picks the minority to kick out

How exactly do they plan on replacing a supreme court judge?

I'm sure Eisenhower would have wanted to have gotten rid of Earl Warren.

Videoneon

Its really weird how many times I've seen him wondering around the Capitol by himself listening to his iPod. I legitimately don't know when he does work.

paulryan.jpg

This dude was kinda sorta close to being president and now he wonders around now looking where he's going.

I still love that moment, during the 2012 general race, where Tom Morello from Rage Against The Machine came down on him once he mentioned he was a fan of the band.

edit: it's not like the situation where Adam Levine found out Fox (aka "evil fucking channel") was playing Maroon 5 on their news channel and flipped his shit.

Paul Ryan's love of Rage Against the Machine is amusing, because he is the embodiment of the machine that our music has been raging against for two decades. Charles Manson loved the Beatles but didn't understand them. Governor Chris Christie loves Bruce Springsteen but doesn't understand him. And Paul Ryan is clueless about his favorite band, Rage Against the Machine.

I wonder what Ryan's favorite Rage song is? Is it the one where we condemn the genocide of Native Americans? The one lambasting American imperialism? Our cover of "Fuck the Police"? Or is it the one where we call on the people to seize the means of production? So many excellent choices to jam out to at Young Republican meetings!

Don't mistake me, I clearly see that Ryan has a whole lotta "rage" in him: A rage against women, a rage against immigrants, a rage against workers, a rage against gays, a rage against the poor, a rage against the environment. Basically the only thing he's not raging against is the privileged elite he's groveling in front of for campaign contributions.

You see, the super rich must rationalize having more than they could ever spend while millions of children in the U.S. go to bed hungry every night. So, when they look themselves in the mirror, they convince themselves that "Those people are undeserving. They're . . . lesser." Some of these guys on the extreme right are more cynical than Paul Ryan, but he seems to really believe in this stuff. This unbridled rage against those who have the least is a cornerstone of the Romney-Ryan ticket.

Jooney

It kinda reminds me of the strict constitutionalists who want to abolish the ninth circuit court of appeals. Nothing says you love the constitution more than abolishing one branch of government.

Nothing restores "original intent constitutional freedom" like kicking out the two SC justices you don't like.

Well they were the two Justices nominated by the black guy. So, obviously it's null and void.

Trying to kick out Justices is a right-wing tradition. Also, Eisenhower nominated Warren, so that'd be weird.

history_pic2.jpg

A John Birch Society tradition, to be specific.

Also:

kNi0Jwj.jpg

These guys used to be universally understood to be insane. Now they are universally understood to be Republicans.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
LOL.

Random caller calls in Rush and mentions his own little incident with drugs. Rush promptly hangs up:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/limbaugh-cuts-off-caller-who-brings-up-his-past-drug-use-oh-no-sir/

Drill baby drill.

Seriously, I'm pretty sure that's the extent of their thinking here.

Doh! Dunno how I forgot about that. Whenever I hear Palin's name being mentioned, I just think of general idiocy, so it would be difficult to pin down one area where she would focus all her attention on. Hell, I would think the teabaggers would think a mere secretary position would be too demeaning to their queen.

Trying to kick out Justices is a right-wing tradition. Also, Eisenhower nominated Warren, so that'd be weird.

history_pic2.jpg

There's some accounts of Eisenhower saying nominating Warren was the biggest mistake of his life but it hasn't really been confirmed.

On the other hand, I would love to experience the sweet delicious right wing tears over the Warren Court.

I've always wondered what would happen if a gun control case went through a liberal controlled SCOTUS and they decided that the 2nd amendment didn't protect the right of the individual to own a firearm and only allowed a regulated militia run by the states.

These guys used to be universally understood to be insane. Now they are universally understood to be Republicans.

This is wonderful

I've always wondered what would happen if a gun control case went through a liberal controlled SCOTUS and they decided that the 2nd amendment didn't protect the right of the individual to own a firearm and only allowed a regulated militia run by the states.

Bunch o' gun nuts would attempt to rise up and see just how far their little 'millitia's' would get them.

probably

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
CHEEZMO™;90669073 said:
jDOYHPs.png

The world would have ended within the week in a nuclear fireball if that happened.

It would be almost unenforceable. Especially in certain parts of the country.

Diablos

Sounds like some "policy" bullshit he'll be able to harp on during a primary debate.

"while others were trying generic repeals, I sponsored the only specific way to outright end Obamacare"
Yeah I know. Excuse me for getting emotional but I can't stand this smug little twit.

That was basically the 'law of the land' and the mainstream Constitutional opinion among scholars before the Federalist Society and the NRA invented the 'right to own any gun you want' in the late 70's.

As Warren Burger put it, "the 2nd amendment has been the subject of one of the greatest pieces of fraud—I repeat the word 'fraud'—on the American public by special interest groups that I have ever seen in my lifetime." And that line was in '92.

Question. Covered California sez I'm not eligible for subsidies. My income is ~30k. I thought you get subsidies if you're up to 400% of the poverty rate. What is the meaning of this?!

CoveredCa is telling me at 30k and 30 years old, you get a $23 tax credit. It says you don't qualify for subsidies for out of pocket costs (different than premiums).

You might want to try again, perhaps you confused the two?

What? I thought the subsidies were for the premiums?

There's subsidies for premiums and also for out of pocket costs if your income is low enough ($28,763 to be exact).

In order to receive out-of-pocket assistance (AKA cost sharing reduction subsidies), you must buy a Silver plan from the state exchange and an individual or family must have incomes no more than 250 percent of the Federal Poverty Line. This means that families in the lowest income group pay no more than 6 percent of its share of out-of-pocket expenses, while those at the upper level of the group pay up to 27 percent of out-of-pocket expenses. Combining Advance Premium Tax Credits with Out-of-Pocket subsidies creates an average subsidy of about $5,000 for families and individuals. But, low-income families get larger subsidies and those with several children get the most.

Income Level Actuarial Value (the amount of costs a Silver plan will cover due to cost sharing reduction subsidies for % of the Poverty Level).

100-150% FPL 94%

150-200% FPL 87%

200-250% FPL 73%

The "Advance Premium Tax Credits" are the Premium Subsidies.

To be exact, the OOP thing isn't exactly the same. The premium subsidies kick in before you buy coverage, the OOP stuff happens only after you incur an out of pocket cost. You have to buy a silver plan, btw.

This is why if you put in a different income, you'll see "silver 87" or "Silver 94" plans. Those refer to the OOP subsidies.

CHEEZMO™;90669073 said:
jDOYHPs.png

I love how the only two SCOTUS judges who need to be replaced just happen to be the ones Obama appointed as if Breyer and Ginsberg aren't any more liberal or more likely to retire soon.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still just trying to wrap my head around two television personalities as Supreme Court Justices.

Also I was about to ask who they'd put as fed chair, before realizing there probably would be no fed chair.

stressboy

I'm still just trying to wrap my head around two television personalities as Supreme Court Justices.

Also I was about to ask who they'd put as fed chair, before realizing there probably would be no fed chair.

They probably chose the TV personalities because their personal lord and savior was an actor.

In a surprising win Tuesday night, the White House and top Senate Democrats successfully defended provisions in the National Defense Authorization Act that would loosen restrictions on transferring detainees out of Guantanamo Bay, advancing President Obama’s goal of closing the facility by a margin of 55-43. A vote in favor of final passage on the entire NDAA is expected in early December, after which it faces a likely fight in conference with the House’s version of the bill, which maintains the transfer restrictions.

One Democratic Senate staffer who supports closing the Guantanamo Bay prison called the result, “The strongest vote that I can recall on this issue.”

As recently as early November, Democratic Senate aides participating in the fight to loosen the transfer rules described the politics of the vote as “difficult” but “not impossible” and said those whipping the vote were five or six votes short of the bare majority they needed to defend the provisions. The challenge was to win over swing-state Democrats who had opposed moves to close Gitmo in the past, and to hold supporters facing reelection in 2014.

(MORE: Seeing New Opportunity, Obama Lobbies on Key Gitmo Vote)

In Tuesday’s vote, the White House did both. It held Mark Begich of Alaska and Mark Udall of Colorado, two Democratic supporters facing reelection, and won over three former Democratic opponents who are not up in 2014. That allowed Democrats Kay Hagan of North Carolina and Mark Pryor of Arkansas, both of whom are in tough fights next fall, to oppose the bill.

Perhaps most surprising, and most heartening for those seeking to close Gitmo, the White House picked up three Republican votes: John McCain and Jeff Flake of Arizona, and Rand Paul of Kentucky. Paul’s vote suggests potential support among libertarians for the loosened transfer restrictions in the GOP-led House, but the measures still face an uphill battle before they become law. The GOP has strongly opposed measures that could lead to the closure of the prison at Guantanamo Bay, and for many that opposition remains.

Several factors have contributed to the sharp change in the political atmosphere over the issue, however. The rise of libertarian opposition to executive branch authority, especially “law of war” powers exercised by the president is one factor. The cost of the Gitmo facility, relative to detaining terrorists in the United States or abroad, is another. It costs anywhere from $900,000 to $2.7 million per inmate per year to detain a terrorist in Guantanamo Bay, whereas it costs around $60,000 a year to detain one at a Supermax facility. Several al Qaeda terrorists are currently detained at such facilities in the U.S.

The ultimate test of the politics will come in December during the House-Senate conference. The NDAA is typically one of the last bills passed before the end of the year.

Read more: Rand Paul Aids Surprise Guantanamo Bay Win For Obama | TIME.com http://swampland.time.com/2013/11/2...e-guantanamo-bay-win-for-obama/#ixzz2lGdKktFA

Now, if only the House would allow Obama to close the damn thing...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
There's subsidies for premiums and also for out of pocket costs if your income is low enough ($28,763 to be exact).

The "Advance Premium Tax Credits" are the Premium Subsidies.

To be exact, the OOP thing isn't exactly the same. The premium subsidies kick in before you buy coverage, the OOP stuff happens only after you incur an out of pocket cost. You have to buy a silver plan, btw.

This is why if you put in a different income, you'll see "silver 87" or "Silver 94" plans. Those refer to the OOP subsidies.

Huh, I didn't know that.

Thank god I'm getting health insurance through work.

They probably chose the TV personalities because their personal lord and savior was an actor.

Also, because they don't know any actual judges. For instance, I'd go with the bugfuck crazy Judge Janice Rogers Brown as one of the right wing dream team, but they probably have no idea who that is.

remist

That was basically the 'law of the land' and the mainstream Constitutional opinion among scholars before the Federalist Society and the NRA invented the 'right to own any gun you want' in the late 70's.

As Warren Burger put it, "the 2nd amendment has been the subject of one of the greatest pieces of fraud—I repeat the word 'fraud'—on the American public by special interest groups that I have ever seen in my lifetime." And that line was in '92.

That's completely ridiculous. The current interpretation of the second amendment is as much a "fraud" as the right to privacy or Roe v. Wade ect. Are you a strict constructionist?

That's completely ridiculous. The current interpretation of the second amendment is as much a "fraud" as the right to privacy or Roe v. Wade ect. Are you a strict constructionist?

Most of the people who support the individual right to bear arms for self-defense claim to be, including the SCOTUS Justices who wrote opinions announcing the right.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I've got CNN on and they are reporting that the Senators have been called to the floor to vote specifically for the nuclear option. It looks like Reid finally nutted up.

GhaleonEB

I've got CNN on and they are reporting that the Senators have been called to the floor to vote specifically for the nuclear option. It looks like Reid finally nutted up.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/harry-reid-may-go-nuclear-this-week-dem-sources

Harry Reid May Nuke The Filibuster This Week: Dem Sources

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) may invoke the "nuclear option" and reform the filibuster as early as Thursday, multiple top Democratic Senate sources told TPM.

The move would likely scrap the filibuster for executive and judicial nominations, but not legislation or Supreme Court nominees, as Reid signaled earlier this week, and the sources confirmed. He has discussed the matter with his leadership team and members.

This would be very nice, for the courts, and to see McConnell's eyes bulging out of his face in fury in the press conference after. Still skeptical, though.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
@amandacarpenter: I don't cry. I work harder. RT @Dax01: Gimme your tears. RT @amandacarpenter: Watching tyranny of Reid in full effect on the Senate floor
She's saying it's gonna hurt dems. Lol

She thinks ending gridlock will hurt democrats... That bubble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom