• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Was taking a cab this morning:

Driver: So what do you think about this shutdown?
Me: I think the Republicans are fucking crazy.
Driver: What?
Me: I said I think the Republicans are fucking crazy.
Driver: What do the Republicans have to do with this?
Me: ...

Conversation ensued, but what had him incredulous was that one party (much less a portion of that one party) had the capability to shut down the government. That those levers of power and obstruction even existed. We covered the budget talks, continuing resolution and the house rule change and just as things were getting good I had to go.

I can only imagine that a great many Americans are simply confused by the whole thing. How it came to be, how its possible, and what any of these consequences even mean.

Nobody at my job understands that the President doesn't pass bills. Our government is confusing to most people.

Diablos

This is getting scary. Even if this does get resolved, we can't keep doing this every time we've gotta raise the debt ceiling. It's not a smart way to govern, and that alone could scare a lot of other countries away, even pre-default. We can't accept one small group of people hostage taking the global economy as something they can just do whenever they want and think the International community won't have something to say about it.

This is getting scary. Even if this does get resolved, we can't keep doing this every time we've gotta raise the debt ceiling. It's not a smart way to govern, and that alone could scare a lot of other countries away, even pre-default. We can't accept one small group of people hostage taking the global economy as something they can just do whenever they want and think the International community won't have something to say about it.

Meh. This doesn't happen again. Dems didn't cave, GOP looks atrocious. Tea Party can't swing this again. We'll break Hastert rule next time before it gets this bad - same outcome without all of the circus.

@kasie 7m

Have talked to over a dozen congressional staff, in BOTH parties, who say they'd send out resumes immediately if health benefits stripped

lol

Guys. Boehner is imploding. All he had to do is call a fucking vote. He can't even get to that point, on October 15 in the afternoon. Maybe something passes later today, but it'll be a pure fantasy right wing bill.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

The republicans are hurting so bad Lindsey Graham is literally screaming mercy. I wouldn't worry about this happening again.

Averon

Meh. This doesn't happen again. Dems didn't cave, GOP looks atrocious. Tea Party can't swing this again. We'll break Hastert rule next time before it gets this bad - same outcome without all of the circus.

Next year is a election year, too. Does the GOP really want to go through this ordeal again and having it fresh in voters' minds? I would think not. But then again the GOP no longer follow logic or reason, so who knows.

AniHawk

KgL2jzI.gif

all day everyday

ivysaur12

Banned
If they leave town, I can't see them ever having the moral high ground on the issue of compromise in the eyes of the public.

@robertcostaNRO 5m
The new strategy emerging: vote on plan w/ CR till Dec 15, debt ceiling till Feb 7, plus full Vitter language, force Sen to consider

Screw our hard working staff!

Basically:
@brianbeutler: This is suddenly dwindling into a plan to force Democrats to vote against the Vitter amendment.

Which, could be good politics.

Jooney

Godammit, being on the other side of the planet means I miss out on all the poliGAF fun as it happens. I'm sure Mario can commiserate.

Anyways, stick a fork in Boehner - he's done. And I hope this means that people will think twice before eye rolling at Pelosi again. She got shit done.

I'm also letting that Lindsay Graham comment just wash all over me. Sogood.gif

From Vitter's committee:

http://www.epw.senate.gov/public/in...cf73a09-9371-2ef5-f1cf-9ca752c89cad&Issue_id=

The Top Ten Reasons The Government Shutdown Isn't All Bad

October 15, 2013

10. Approximately 15,000 EPA employees are furloughed, making it less likely fake CIA agents at EPA will be ripping off the taxpayer

6. World War II veterans have stormed the Normandy beaches again. (Sadly, they had to, in order to gain access to their own memorial)

President Obama ordered that all national parks, monuments, and museums be shut down, even national parks that are fully funded by non-profit organizations and receive zero federal dollars for their operations. He also had barricades placed around the National World War II Memorial in Washington, D.C., keeping out the visiting US World War II veteran forces and other visitors who could not get access to the memorial that commemorates the veterans' sacrifices and commitment. On October 8, 2013, the National Mall was opened for a rally to promote the Gang of 8 immigration legislation, which has been called an amnesty bill for illegal immigrants.
3. Far-left environmentalists prove themselves hypocrites again: They criticize continuing oil and gas production on federal lands during the shutdown but issue no call to halt wind turbines

"It's disappointing that the public is shut out from national parks but oil companies get to drill in them." - Alex Taurel, Deputy Legislative Director at the League of Conservation Voters

Vitter has repeatedly pointed out the hypocrisy of the Administration pursuing cases involving oil and gas producers, and not wind energy producers. The Administration has taken legal action against oil and gas producers whose operations have resulted in the death of birds. On the other hand, they have failed to pursue action against, and even offered waivers to, the companies who operate wind turbines that kill birds, including bald eagles, on leased federal lands. It was recently reported that "wind turbines kill over 600,000 birds annually."

2. President Obama has a temporary excuse for his stonewalling on FOIA and other transparency demands of the Administration

Currently over 90% of EPA's employees are furloughed. EPW Republicans have focused on the lack of transparency within the Obama Administration, particularly at the EPA, but also at the Treasury Department who have refused to release their involvement in developing a carbon tax.

And the number 1 reason the government shutdown isn't all bad...

1. Richard Windsor has been furloughed-for good!

"Richard Windsor," the now infamous email alias for former EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson, has been touted by the Administration as an example of standard procedure for high level employees. As it would turn out, from 2009 to 2012, EPA awarded ethics certificates to the employee "Richard Windsor" who was also described as a top student in the Agency's ethical-behavior class. Click here to read more.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Random question: Democracy 3 just came out, would there be interest for an OT on gaming side? I got one prepped...

HAHAHA THIS IS AMAZING

Also
Meanwhile, Senate Republicans have slowed down their talks with Democrats as they wait to see if Boehner can pass his plan. Privately, they’re worried that if Boehner struggles to find support for his amped-up version of the emerging Senate deal, it’ll give even more leverage to Senate majority leader Harry Reid. “If the House can’t get its act together, we’re going to get nothing, other than preserving sequestration,” says a Senate GOP aide. “They’re playing games, and we’re over here, just trying to survive.”

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
It probably helped that public opinion was behind them this time. Or at the very least, the GOP is getting substantially more of the blame.

Not nearly enough.

There is still way too much of a "both sides are to blame" sentiment, even among democrats.

bonercop

guys, what happened to harry reid? did he down a bottle of distilled testosterone last week or something? his balls grew 3 sizes during this debt ceiling shitstorm.

Jooney

If Democrats are not going to agree to a delay in the medical device tax, they're certainly not going to agree to a delay to the individual mandate.

I just can't fathom what Republicans are doing. I think they're just drawing demands out of a hat now.

GaimeGuy

guys, what happened to harry reid? did he down a bottle of distilled testosterone last week or something? his balls grew sizes during this debt ceiling shitstorm.

Apparently obama has been telling reid to not even bother capitulating, because he'd veto it.

Everything I've heard says that Reid is holding firm because Obama is on his ass.

GaimeGuy

If Democrats are not going to agree to a delay in the medical device tax, they're certainly not going to agree to a delay to the individual mandate.

I just can't fathom what Republicans are doing. I think they're just drawing demands out of a hat now.

“We’re not going to be disrespected,” conservative Rep. Marlin Stutzman, R-Ind., [told the Washington Examiner]. “We have to get something out of this. And I don’t know what that even is.”

It's not about policy. It's about fucking over obama and winning the game.

These people don't care about governing. They care about winning a motherfucking football game.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Here's a strategy if you're new at the game and having trouble winning:

1. Shutdown the government.
2. Wait.
3. ???
4. Win the game!

Posted: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=697816

I am a political theorist. It says so on my degree (important: I did more drugs in the woods than work on that degree). As such, it would be remiss of me not to wholeheartedly recommend Democracy 3 as Positech has made, I believe, one of the fullest real-world governance simulation games ever conceived. It’s engaging, it’s self-aware, and, at times, it’s funnier than anyone might have expected, bringing a gorgeous interface together with some enlightening statistical data on how different aspects of a country can affect the others. Just keep in mind that, like my friend before you, it will crush the life out of your dreams for a Liberal Eden. With bloody, poop-covered hands.

If this really happens, fucking LOL

The Brilliant "Leave Town" Option?

1. Get reluctant House Republicans to vote for a debt limit/CR bill as part of the “leave town” strategy. Bill passes.

2. Head to airports.

3. Wait until the 30-60 or so crazy caucus boards planes.

4. Sneak back to Capitol, pass whatever the Senate sends over — with any luck, unanimously, now that voting that way won’t separate them from the not-present radicals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom