• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Obama being The Dude ... This might work.
ibhU7jtWwiyYho.gif

Lyndsey Graham is the chick who sacrificed her toe.
lol

teiresias

Lindsey Graham:

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) had a message Tuesday for his Senate colleague Ted Cruz as the nation moves dangerously close to default: It's time to put the country before the tea party.

Graham wasn't sure on Tuesday if the Texas Republican, who many lawmakers have deemed responsible for the shutdown, had plans to hold up a bill that would reopen the government and avert a breach of the debt limit. But bearing in mind Cruz's pledge to hold the line on defunding Obamacare, Graham said enough is enough.

"I would just say to any member of the Congress now, what is your oath? What is your reason for being here?" he said. "Are you going to stop our ability to reopen the government forever and to honor our obligations come the 17th? I can understand fighting for your cause, but there comes a point when you have an obligation to your country as the whole."

. . .

The South Carolina senator then offered up an analogy often used by President Barack Obama: What if Democrats "held hostage" the Bush-era tax cuts in exchange for raising the debt ceiling or funding the government?

Fox318

Ibk2jNm.jpg

"Well, we uh, we didn't get everything that we wanted, but... we negotiated hard and... we got these... coupons to Bennigan's! And... free bubblegum... for every American.

These coupons entitle every Canadian to a free meal at Bennigan's. With the purchase of a meal at equal or greater value, of course."

Ibk2jNm.jpg

"Well, we uh, we didn't get everything that we wanted, but... we negotiated hard and... we got these... coupons to Bennigan's! And... free bubblegum... for every American.

These coupons entitle every Canadian to a free meal at Bennigan's. With the purchase of a meal at equal or greater value, of course."

This image never gets old. Never.

Also, the media's false equivalence/both-sides-do-it bullshit just HAS to stop or at least moderate after today. It has to. They can't even fucking govern themselves!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Ibk2jNm.jpg

Made this joke like ten pages ago :p

Now that we're close to the end, let's assume what happens is a clean CR and DL is the end result and both pass before the clock runs out.

So this means that The GOP shut down the gov't for over 2 weeks and got literally nothing for it.

A. The Tea Party/far right will be pissed the establishment sold them out again

B. Independents will look at this as the dumbest fucking thing ever since they shut down the gov't and in the end did exactly what they could have done 2 weeks ago without shutting down the gov't.

They've alienated the far right and the independents at the same time. They couldn't have played this any worse than they already have. They have nothing to show for it except anger directed at them at the very people they need to elect them. lmao.

A lot of jokes about running on the banks, but is there really any benefit to doing that?

If shit gets that bad, wouldn't the cash on hand be just as worthless? Wouldn't you be better off running to your Walmart instead and buying ammo and supplies?

No, there is no benefit to withdrawing all your money. And no, your cash will not be worthless. And no, it will not be better to buy ammo and supplies from WalMart.

Or maybe your money will be worthless and you should just give all of it to me now.

Consider Graham's tone now compared to 7 hours ago. It seems to me like he talked to Boehner earlier today and was rather confident in the House plan working. Now it has failed and Graham is not only calling for a clean CR/DL, he's essentially begging Ted Cruz to put the piece away, man.

Piecake

Any chance the debt ceiling gets eliminated after that last debt ceiling increase of Obama's presidency? I'd think both parties would have an incentive to get rid of it at that point considering that both have a shot of being bum fucked by that stupid law.

Its pretty obvious it has no shot of getting eliminated now, unless the democrats give up something worthwhile.

Consider Graham's tone now compared to 7 hours ago. It seems to me like he talked to Boehner earlier today and was rather confident in the House plan working. Now it has failed and Graham is not only calling for a clean CR/DL, he's essentially begging Ted Cruz to put the piece away, man.

The very moment that things get bad for the GOP and everyone turns to point the finger at Cruz, he will make himself scarce.

Anyone hear from Marco Rubio lately? No?

Riki

ClovingWestbrook/LovingSteam made 2013 |OT1|. He is now permanently banned.
Dax made 2013 |OT2|. She is now banned, allegedly permanently.
Bananas made 2013 |OT3|. He is already dead.
...Cyan made the last 2012 |OT|. He is not banned, and is in fact an admin.

Cyan is dead... on the inside.

<3

teiresias

Any chance the debt ceiling gets eliminated after that last debt ceiling increase of Obama's presidency? I'd think both parties would have an incentive to get rid of it at that point considering that both have a shot of being bum fucked by that stupid law.

Its pretty obvious it has no shot of getting eliminated now, unless the democrats give up something worthwhile.

McConnell put forth a decent way to "get rid of it" without really doing so back in 2011 (I think), so it's not like his plan wouldn't have bipartisan support, at least in the Senate, and particularly after the mess the Tea Party has driven the GOP into. Essentially, Congress would have to vote NOT to raise it, by like a 2/3rds majority or something - which would (conceivably) never happen - yet those that want to register displeasure with raising it for political reasons could still do so without endangering the economy in any meaningful way.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

Dax isn't permed thankfully, according to twitter.

|OT4| Free Dax and all political prisoners

Clevinger

Holy hell, I never thought I'd see the day where Lindsey Graham wants out from the loony bin. Must be scared out of his mind. This hopefully is the turning point, people.

Nah. Graham just says whatever sounds best to him each day.

Just a day or two ago he was saying some bullshit like "Don't make me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry."

Diablos

Come on Senate, send your bill to the House. Go go go.

Really worried about what the House does if they get it. And I think they will at this point.

Didnt Lovingsteam make a bet with PD that the Dems would retake the House in '14?

Drakeon

Democrats aren't craven enough to make the country default and the republicans know that. Only way it get's eliminated is if we (by which I mean Democrats) get a majority in both houses of congress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom