• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why wouldn't Boehner just go for a shorter clean CR/DL? Are there really more votes for the Senate bill?

He sucks so bad. Can't wait till his blubbering face is off my TV.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
What's in the senate deal again?

• The government would be funded through January 15th
  • The debt ceiling would be extended through February 7th
  • The budget cuts known as sequestration remain in place, and January 15 remains deadline for an additional $21 billion in cuts
  • Federal agencies get flexibility in how they make the cuts required under sequestration
  • A committee would be established to have further talks on budget cuts
  • The committee would need to present a proposal by December 13th
  • A reinsurance tax that is part of Obamacare would be delayed
  • Recipients of subsidies for their insurance under the exchanges established by Obamacare would be subject to income verification

FLEABttn

Banned
So the deal is to do this again in 3 months?

Is it just me or just that sound asinine? The GOP isn't going to act in good faith between now and then.

ISOM

• The government would be funded through January 15th
  • The debt ceiling would be extended through February 7th
  • The budget cuts known as sequestration remain in place, and January 15 remains deadline for an additional $21 billion in cuts
  • Federal agencies get flexibility in how they make the cuts required under sequestration
  • A committee would be established to have further talks on budget cuts
  • The committee would need to present a proposal by December 13th
  • A reinsurance tax that is part of Obamacare would be delayed
  • Recipients of subsidies for their insurance under the exchanges established by Obamacare would be subject to income verification

Are you sure income verification is still in the bill? This would be a bad blow to obamacare for people who have to go through more hoops to sign up.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Why wouldn't Boehner just go for a shorter clean CR/DL? Are there really more votes for the Senate bill?

Probably cause he feels it would be idiotic to do this shit all over again in such a short time.

Diablos

what are the details of the income verification?

is it what the ACA had in the bill already or is it something intentionally designed to make it harder to sign up?

Probably cause he feels it would be idiotic to do this shit all over again in such a short time.

Pretty much. Tea partiers wanted a December 15th cut off date, which would allow them to fight this battle again before the mandate takes effect on Jan 1st.

They're insane, and while reaching for everything they may have just got nothing. Depending on what Reid does.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So the deal is to do this again in 3 months?

Is it just me or just that sound asinine? The GOP isn't going to act in good faith between now and then.

I point to the Costa tweet:
Robert Costa ‏@robertcostaNRO 3m
Member texts from Cap Hill Club basement, tells me the whole R scene is "depressing... everyone needs a drink after today"
Does it sound to you like they're going to be anxious to start this all over again?
Are you sure income verification is still in the bill? This would be a bad blow to obamacare for people who have to go threw more hoops to sign up.
That's what the deal was at the end of yesterday. I don't think they've changed it. Reid said it would cause no delays and is basically in place already anyway.

FLEABttn

Banned
Does it sound to you like they're going to be anxious to start this all over again?

I think it depends on the member of congress. I don't trust them to take the October lessons to heart.

More specifically, the GOP hasn't acted in good faith in years and I don't expect nation wide polls numbers to change that. I'd like to be wrong.

bonercop

fjsgOEG.png

edit: Ack, that's huge -- sorry, guys.

summary_bleedinghearts.jpg

lolz
The entire thing is a mess. Many of the questions seem designed to shovel people into a comfortable middle between two rhetorical extremes — do you support ALL abortion, NO abortion, or SOME abortion? — and others just ask people to agree with the sort of inchoate expressions of political independence that Americans have always been attracted to, until the minute they actually step into a voting booth. Like: “When it comes to politics, I often agree with some ideas that Democrats have and some ideas that Republicans have.” That certainly sounds reasonable. An impressive 58 percent of respondents agreed! Yes, that’s right, only 58 percent. A quarter of respondents disagreed and 18 percent were “neutral.” 18 percent of 51 percent of Americans in the center are neutral on the subject of whether or not they sometimes agree with ideas from both parties. Go back to bed, NBC and Esquire, these are nonsense questions.

i think the salon article got it right

From Strong's full piece on National Review:

The Christian rite accompanying legislative chaos today was Florida representative Steve Southerland’s rendition of “Amazing Grace” – “all three verses,” said Representative Michael Burgess (Texas) afterwards in amazement.

But Southerland is an undertaker by trade, and the song is normally sung at funerals. It’s not hard to see’s today’s failure as the death of the House GOP’s role, in at least this standoff.

Didn't need those last 5 words, Jon.

Vestal

Can Cruz filibuster?

from what I read yesterday he can delay the vote on the bill till past the 17th deadline. I believe it had to do with needing unanimity to skip debate on a motion to consider I think it was which basically opens the floor for 30hrs of debate.

The only way to avoid it would be if a bill comes from the house and it's amended.

Pete Sessions, chairman of the Rules Committee, kept in character and put a positive spin on an obvious disaster for the GOP.

Boehner “made a decision that what we’re going to do is allow us to take the night and make sure all of our members know what’s going on. We’re trying to make sure that what we’re doing, people know about and they can prepare and study for,” Sessions said, going on to ludicrously pin the lack of action on the Senate. “You know what? We’re waiting for the Senate to get their work done. We had no reason to necessarily have to do anything,” Sessions said when I asked him what it says about the House GOP that Boehner couldn’t bring the bill to the floor.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/361336/stunned-republicans-react-canceled-vote-jonathan-strong

From Virginia...
Yet another poll is out showing Republican state Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli ll trailing the Democrat Terry McAuliffe in Virginia’s gubernatorial race. The Christopher Newport University poll finds:

McAuliffe leads Cuccinelli by 7% among likely voters, but Libertarian [Robert] Sarvis continues to poll well. If Sarvis’ numbers hold, the winner may have less than a majority of voters for the first time since the Civil Rights era. Most voters say the candidates for governor bear no responsibility for the federal government shutdown, but of those who say they do, an overwhelming number fault Cuccinelli (47%), not McAuliffe (7%).

What is telling , the pollster noted, is “The federal government shutdown is definitely motivating some voters against Cuccinelli, who already had a Tea Party problem with Independents and business minded Republicans.” In other words, with a vivid example of dysfunction and right-wing extremism before their eyes, independents and center-right voters are taking no chances with a Republican who already has the reputation for controversy and fiery rhetoric.

Republican E.W. Jackson is getting trounced in the lieutenant governor’s race, while Mark Obenshain is miraculously holding on in a dead heat for attorney general.

The conventional wisdom is that the GOP “brand” is damaged. But center-right voters may be making a finer distinction. For them, it’s the shutdown-squad mentality that is toxic; it is the fear of endlessly antagonistic rhetoric and aversion to good governance that is the turnoff. And really who can blame them? Running against Washington, D.C., is a tried-and-true tactic, but the new normal for Republicans outside of deep-red jurisdictions may very well be running against the unpalatable, polarized environment in which the choice is the shutdown squad or big-government liberals. Cuccinelli doesn’t fit that mold — a triangulating Republican, if you will — and he is suffering for it.

Senate GOP candidates in 2014 should pay heed. In winnable races where Mitt Romney won in 2012, voters still may not be willing to buy into the anti-government destructiveness and inflexibility of some GOP contenders; they should be wary of going too far right even in places like Louisiana, Arkansas and North Carolina. It is in these states but most especially in purple ones like Colorado that a conservative running as a “different kind of Republican” is going to best position himself between Democratic incumbents too liberal for their constituents and the bogeyman of recalcitrant Republicans.

Fairly or not, Cuccinelli is the wrong sort of Republican in a swing state at precisely the wrong time. Other Republicans should pay close attention.

Konka

Banned
from what I read yesterday he can delay the vote on the bill till past the 17th deadline. I believe it had to do with needing unanimity to skip debate on a motion to consider I think it was which basically opens the floor for 30hrs of debate.

The only way to avoid it would be if a bill comes from the house and it's amended.

CNN reported that Boner is planing to send a shell bill to the house to expedite the process. Of course...CNN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom