• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope he does. Again, if he did, it would actually require the GOP to JOIN IN A POINT OF ORDER LIMITING FILIBUSTERS or let the nation default.

That would be utterly delicious but I don't believe Cruz is that insane. His entire political career would be over.

Sibylus

Banned
I extend heartfelt congratulations to Boehner, he is not wholly a spineless piece of shit that prostitutes his mouth to whichever lobby will give him five minutes of undivided attention.

Riki

I extend heartfelt congratulations to Boehner, he is not wholly a spineless piece of shit that prostitutes his mouth to whichever lobby will give him five minutes of undivided attention.

I don't believe that at all. He's all that and more.

Vestal

I really hope he does. Again, if he did, it would actually require the GOP to JOIN IN A POINT OF ORDER LIMITING FILIBUSTERS or let the nation default.

No need to filibuster if the bill originates in the senate since he can just request debate and that puts us over the deadline.

From what someone posted to my post earlier it looks like Cruz was actually going to do just that if it is true the house is passing a shell bill to be amended.

Cruz isn't filibustering. That mind boggling quote from his press secretary I posted before disavows everything and encourages everyone to protect the full faith and credit.

It's over.

Diablos

crHUg77.jpg

Ted is willing to work with anyone -- even martians.

This is from his official website.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I gotta say, threatening to create a worldwide financial crisis SEEMED like a good idea at the time.

Videoneon

And it gets torn apart here as being an imaginary middle the media elite wants to think exists

http://www.salon.com/2013/10/15/no_there_isnt_a_new_american_center/

I did the poll, and read the positions. This imaginary center sucks: oil expansion, poor numbers on pathway to citizenship and government spending.

I like that Salon article:

. This group thinks “government spending” in the abstract is wasteful and bad — because everyone has been trained to believe that by elites in both parties! asking generically about “government spending” is an idiotic waste of time! — but they generally support social insurance spending and progressive taxation and even Pigovian taxes on polluters. (I mean, the more liberal people in this group do, because it’s not one ideologically consistent set of voters, it’s a couple different groups with different and in fact often contradictory aims.) So a plurality of a bare majority of people agree on some stuff, which just goes to show that everything you think you know about politics is wrong. This nation is simply not divided as you think, according to this survey that purposely excludes 49 percent of Americans for being too partisan!

There isn’t a “middle” directly between the two parties. There are blocs of voters who vacillate between the parties — or, more often, don’t vote — because the parties don’t represent their interests

And I like how it highlights the over representation of white-ness in the new center. What also interested me was its discussion of the idea that there aren't parties that represent these "middle groups." Yet none of them are ones that I want to see get much traction, like "economically populist" and socially conservative

Brian Beutler ‏@brianbeutler 1m
Senate Dem source says Boehner will send over a "clean message" tomorrow, will speed up process should anyone object to a time agreement.

Cruz Am Cry

Brian Beutler ‏@brianbeutler 41s
Alternatively, according to same source, House could pass Senate language first, for similar purposes.

bwaha.

The contrast between the efficiency of Pelosi and Boner is pretty mind boggling.

She's the fucking best. Could not respect her more.

“She’s very respectful of every single member, so she doesn’t force people to go with her. She puts out to the caucus, to the members what she thinks is the most prudent path, but Nancy Pelosi does not force people,” Eshoo said.

Pelosi has also kept her members focused on a common enemy: Republicans.

“Their pockets are deep, but their values are not,” Pelosi said at the Thursday caucus meeting, according to a Democratic aide at the meeting

Last Wednesday, Boehner asked Pelosi to come to his office for a meeting. She thought it was going to be a chance to talk about whether she might be able to deliver votes for a deal. But that wasn’t the case.

“They had no proposal, or they just wanted to say: ‘See, we invited Democrats, but we don’t have anything to talk about,’” she said the next day about the meeting at a press conference.

http://m.politico.com/iphone/story/1013/98346.html

“You ever think you’d see the day where Republicans would demand removing language that delays a tax?” wondered a third GOP aide. “I feel like I’m in the Twilight Zone.”

The canceled vote was no Twilight Zone episode, however, but something far too familiar. Republicans eagerly compared it to the fiscal cliff’s famous “Plan B” episode, when Boehner brought lawmakers into a closed-door meeting in the Capitol basement, said the serenity prayer, and told them the vote was canceled.

The Christian rite accompanying legislative chaos today was Florida representative Steve Southerland’s rendition of “Amazing Grace” — “all three verses,” said Representative Michael Burgess (Texas) afterwards in amazement.

But Southerland is an undertaker by trade, and the song is normally sung at funerals. It’s hard not to see’s today’s failure as the death of the House GOP’s role, in at least this standoff.

#dead

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Huffington Post needs to fucking chill with their frontpage. It's a mess!! Huge fonts, random links everywhere, and horrible headlines. They are making Drudge look good.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Here's a good write up on the De Blasio vs Lhota debate from tonight.

The debate seemed to showcase the nimbleness of Mr. de Blasio, a longtime political operative who is now the city’s public advocate, even as it revealed the depth of Mr. Lhota’s challenge in front of what was quite likely the biggest audience of the campaign. Instead of exposing Mr. de Blasio’s weaknesses, Mr. Lhota found himself consistently outmaneuvered.

Mr. Lhota did not look directly at Mr. de Blasio, staring straight ahead at the moderators or down at the podium. He frequently seemed tangled in the nuances of his own policy plans, expending precious minutes that might have been used to deliver his own attacks.

At one point, becoming bogged down in a laborious and academic-sounding debate over the constitutionality of “mandatory inclusionary zoning,” a policy that requires affordable housing in certain developments.

Basically Lhota took what would be his only chance to close the gap and completely blew it. De Blasio is going to run away with this even more than he was before tonight.

ido

Megyn Kelly says the Democrats were greedy for wanting the government opened AND the debt ceiling raised.

Is there ANY chance the House won't pass the Senate Bill?

Still wished they'd remove the ceiling entirely.

And yeah, HuffPo looks like www.timecube.com

If I were Obama and dems took back the house the VERY FIRST thing I'd put on the table is eliminate the debt ceiling and make it extremely diifuclt to put one back in place after it's passed.

teiresias

If I were Obama and dems took back the house the VERY FIRST thing I'd put on the table is eliminate the debt ceiling and make it extremely diifuclt to put one back in place after it's passed.

I've been saying this for two weeks. He's a moron if he has the opening to at least try and doesn't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom