• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to vote for Booker, and the people at the polling booth seemed surprised that someone had actually shown up. It was like an event that I was there. I wonder how low the turn-out is.
I have a friend from NJ who said the polls were pretty empty where he went to vote, too... he's pretty sure Booker will win though.

The far right will never admit it lost, which is why they need to lose on such a high platform that the establishment GOP decides to pull the plug. The need to lose a presidential election IMO. Even a wave election next year could be dismissed ("we didn't vote because leadership betrayed us."). A Goldwater type campaign of no apologies would crush the right wing.

I think the far right knows this, which is why they may never fully back one candidate. 2012 gave rise to many great conservative hopes, only for them to fade. Even Santorum, when he was Romney's last opponent standing, couldn't unite the far right. Is Cruz a perfect candidate for them? Right now yes, but I get the impression he has ruined his chance at national office already.

Congrats, John. Your job is safe. All it took was 2 weeks of stress and damage to overall economic confidence.

@robertcostaNRO 10m
Big stmt from ex RSC chair RT @Chris_Moody GOP Rep. Jim Jordan: "absolutely no talk" of staging a coup against Speaker Boehner.

@robertcostaNRO 11m
RT @daveweigel More Raul Labrador: "I've been really proud of Speaker Boehner. I'm more upset with my Republican conference."

ISOM

The republican spin machine will now be in full effect. Expect to see that a shutdown or near default never even happened! It was just a protest against obamacare in their minds.

LOL

MATT DRUDGE ✔ @DRUDGE Speaker Pelosi Part 2: Opening Jan 5. 20157:17 AM - 16 Oct 2013
150 Retweets 42 favorites Reply

Conservative news aggregator Matt Drudge seemed to suggest Wednesday that Democrats will win back control of the House of Representatives next year.

In a message to his more than 200,000 followers on Twitter, Drudge predicted that House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) will soon return to the post she held from 2007 until 2011:

Current House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) has seen his influence questioned repeatedly throughout the budget and debt limit showdowns. His clout took another hit on Tuesday after conservatives in his caucus shot down his proposals to raise the debt ceiling and end the government shutdown.

President Barack Obama said Tuesday that Boehner "can't control his caucus." Pelosi has said previously that Boehner would be dubbed "the weakest speaker in history" if he were a woman.

An influential figure on the right, Drudge has turned a critical eye on Republicans as of late. In a pair of tweets last month, he asked why any voters would support the GOP.

And so it begins
The editorial page of the Houston Chronicle expressed some buyer's remorse on Tuesday for endorsing Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) in last year's election.

In the editorial, the Chronicle lamented that Cruz did not take after his predecessor, fromer Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX).

"When we endorsed Ted Cruz in last November's general election, we did so with many reservations and at least one specific recommendation - that he follow Hutchison's example in his conduct as a senator," the editorial read. "Obviously, he has not done so. Cruz has been part of the problem in specific situations where Hutchison would have been part of the solution."

After defeating Texas Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst (R) in a GOP primary last summer, Cruz won the general election over by a comfortable margin over Democrat Paul Sadler.

Cruz has emerged as one of the most visible senators in only his first year in office, winning praise from many conservatives while infuriating long-serving Republicans. His push to defund the Affordable Care Act led to the impasse over the budget and the debt limit.

The republican spin machine will now be in full effect. Expect to see that a shutdown or near default never even happened! It was just a protest against obamacare in their minds.

"...which we never wanted to repeal. I mean, if this doesn't show you who will stand with veterans against the tyranny of this administration, I don't know what does. Please fund our Super PACs."

ivysaur12

Banned
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2013/10/shutdown-hurts-gop-senate-chances.html

Shutdown hurts GOP Senate chances

New PPP polls of 6 key Senate races that will determine control of the body after next year’s election finds voters extremely unhappy about the government shutdown. As a result Republicans trail in 5 of the 6 key races and are tied in the 6th. Republicans need to win 6 seats to take control of the Senate.

We find voters strongly opposed to the shutdown in every state we polled, even though most of them voted for Mitt Romney last year.

In one case anger over the shutdown is helping to put a Republican held seat on the table:

-In Georgia voters oppose the shutdown 61/31, and it’s just another factor helping make this seat competitive for Democrats next year. Michelle Nunn is knotted with a generic Republican opponent at 42%.

The shutdown will be particularly problematic for the GOP if it nominates one of the House members seeking a promotion to the Senate- 47% of voters say they’re less likely to vote Paul Broun, Phil Gingrey, or Jack Kingston for the Senate because of their support for the shutdown to only 32% who think it’s a positive. After being informed that her most likely opponents were among those House Republicans who favored the shutdown, Nunn improves to a 48/42 lead lead on the generic ballot.

In a pair of key open seat Senate races Democrats are well positioned because voters are mad about the shutdown, and appreciative of the Democratic House members looking to move up who opposed the shutdown:

-In Michigan’s open seat race Democrat Gary Peters leads Republican Terri Lynn Land 43/36. Voters are opposed to the shutdown by a 65/27 margin, and when voters are informed that Peters stood against the shutdown in the House his lead expands to 50/36.

-It’s a similar story in Iowa’s open seat race- there Democrat Bruce Braley leads a generic Republican opponent 45/41. Voters are against the shutdown 64/27, and when voters are informed of Braley’s opposition his lead goes up to 7 points at 46/39.

In a pair of red states where Republican House members are challenging incumbent Democratic Senators, their support of the shutdown is proving to be a liability:

-In Louisiana Mary Landrieu leads Republican challenger Bill Cassidy 48/41 for reelection. Voters oppose the shutdown 60/30, and 47% say they’re less likely to vote for Cassidy for the Senate next year because he supported it compared to only 32% who are more likely to. Landrieu’s lead grows to 52/42 when voters are informed of Cassidy’s position on the shutdown.
-In Arkansas Mark Pryor leads Republican challenger Tom Cotton 44/41. Voters there oppose the shutdown 59/32. When informed that Cotton supported it, 45% of voters say they’re less likely to support him for a move up to the Senate next year compared to just 33% who say they’re more likely to.

And voters also overwhelmingly oppose the shutdown in the other state we polled:

-In North Carolina Kay Hagan leads a generic Republican 47/42. Voters oppose the government shutdown 63/29, and when they’re informed that she opposed it as well her lead over a generic opponent increases to 49/41.

These polls make it clear that across the country, whether a state voted for Obama by 10 points or voted for Romney by 20, voters are extremely angry about the government shutdown. And it’s going to make Republican hopes of taking back the Senate next year that much harder.

These polls were conducted on behalf of Americans United for Change. Full results here

I don't think Kay Hagan can pull it off, guys.

EDIT: Real talk, wow at Michelle Nunn tying a general Republican. Still dubious to her chances, but that's a solid number. Also, where's Alison Grimes v. McConnell?

"Heritage Action: Obamacare safe ‘until 2017’"

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/heritage-obamacare-safe-until-2017

Late yesterday afternoon, House Republican leaders still thought they’d put together a bill that would put Democrats in an awkward spot, while satisfying the far-right. House Speaker John Boehner’s (R-Ohio) office vowed a floor vote by the evening.

But around 5:30 p.m. eastern, Heritage Action, an activist project of the Heritage Foundation think tank, said it was effectively vetoing Boehner’s idea. “Unfortunately, the proposed deal will do nothing to stop Obamacare’s massive new entitlements from taking root – radically changing the nature of American health care,” the group said.

Soon after, the bill was quietly killed and the entire House Republican offensive collapsed.

With this in mind, it was interesting to see Michael Needham, the CEO of Heritage Action, on Fox News this morning, offering his assessment of the right’s crusade against the Affordable Care Act. Needham said:

“Well, everybody understands that we’ll not be able to repeal this law until 2017. We have to win the Senate and win the White House.”​

And I would imagine this was about the point Boehner started throwing things at his television set.

(more at link)

ISOM

If I was a democrat running in a tight race, I would mention republican party defunction every chance I get. And how pretty much a vote for any republican is a vote for washington dysfunction.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Ted Cruz blaming Obamacare for all the countries ills right now.

Now... Mcconnell doing it as well.

I'd love if just for once, instead of fighting for a repel, that the GOP came up with a better counter-plan that'd help American's with health care.

Just fucking once.

NervousXtian

Now the thing about Obamacare, and blaming it for things that have been going on for year, ie: skyrocketing premiums and dropping spouses who qualify elsewhere. How is Obamacare forcing these issues?

Blame the people that deserve the blame. Cheap ass companies who already previously had dropped most employees to PT to avoid paying benefits, who now dropped them lower.

That's not Obamacare, that's on the companies doing it.

About spouses being dropped, and premiums rising? That's not on Obamacare, that's on the insurance companies. The ones who BECAUSE of Obamacare will be making record profits because of this plan as they are assured to have more people buying insurance then in the past.

It's too early to say if the ACA will reduce premiums, it'd take at least a year for things to settle.

Yet it's a first step, and hopefully, in the end we talk about universal care in the future and drop the entire insurance racket altogether.

Vestal

I saw a few tweets this morning going around that people were getting through okay as of today. Word seems to be spreading.

GOP shot themselves in the foot, with a gatling gun.

It's fascinating. Books should be written about this whole ordeal. Hopefully pbs does a frontline on all of this.

Cruz is holding a press conference right now (outside the senate building), as McConnell speaks on the senate floor. The level of casual disrespect is pretty telling of who he is as a person. He's not there to make friends, form coalitions, craft legislation, or help constituents. He's there to promote himself, period.

Skeletons in Rand Paul's closet? Guess what, we probably won't hear about them, if any, due to him allying with McConnell and making nice with the GOP establishment to a degree. Cruz is going to get destroyed by his own party, just watch.

I really hope someone writes a giant book or at least several volumes about the GOP during Obama's Presidency.

Quotes from behind the scenes, the seething hatred, the bubble they created, the Tea Party. EVERYTHING is on the table.

I'd buy it and read it cover-to-cover several times.

KingGondo

Banned
I'd love if just for once, instead of fighting for a repel, that the GOP came up with a better counter-plan that'd help American's with health care.

Just fucking once.
They've already presented a plan. It's called "check WebMD, then go to the emergency room for everything if you don't have insurance."

Opiate

Frontline really is a terrific news program. I'd like to do more research to understand why publicly funded stations (notably PBS/NPR) are so much better at doing real journalism than modern for-profit companies are.

The obvious answer is "the for-profit companies have to cover whatever makes them money," and that's true as far as it goes, but do note that publicly funded news organizations also need viewers/listeners who are willing to donate money directly, so they aren't entirely removed from the need to pander, either.

And yet they don't, for the most part. At least, they do so considerably less than Fox or MSNBC or CNN.

ivysaur12

Banned
I saw a few tweets this morning going around that people were getting through okay as of today. Word seems to be spreading.

GOP shot themselves in the foot, with a gatling gun.

I saw something yesterday on CNN about HealthCare.gov getting a massive server boost this past weekend.

Which just... the entire thing is bizarre.

DasRaven

I really hope someone writes a giant book or at least several volumes about the GOP during Obama's Presidency.

Quotes from behind the scenes, the seething hatred, the bubble they created, the Tea Party. EVERYTHING is on the table.

I'd buy it and read it cover-to-cover several times.

Jonathan Alter has already started that effort.
The Promise & The Center Holds

NervousXtian

They've already presented a plan. It's called "check WebMD, then go to the emergency room for everything if you don't have insurance."

I blame Reagan. Worst President ever, so much of the pains we are in these days start back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom