• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero Hero

These people are insane. They are literally not in touch with reality. It is hard to reason with crazy.

Fight fire with fire. Quote the Isaiah 5:20
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

And then mention how bitter they are.

FyreWulff

Any chance of Beck, Hannity, Rush, Levin, or Savage ever endorsing Libertarian candidates? They seem fed up enough to do it, and they could get a nice chunk of the base to go along.

It'd be glorious.

Nope. If only for the reason they make more money off having Republicans hold their bags for them.

I see the GOP surviving if it happened.

Tea Partiers go Libertarian > Democrats dominate elections > Democrats move left > moderate Democrats switch to GOP > balance between Democrats and Republicans returns

Unless the imbalance somehow unexpectedly leads to electoral reform, which allows third parties to survive. Then the Greens will rise alongside the Libertarians! (I wish.)
You know, as much as the media loves to salivate over the idea of some perfectly centrist third party rising up as a dominant force in American politics, it's far more likely for the Greens to gain any traction. A credible "Tea Party" would ultimately just replace the Republicans, and libertarians are a pitifully small coalition made up mostly of nerdy white boys who've built a Ron Paul personality cult on reddit.

In the Democrats, there are probably enough disgruntled liberals who could make the party a success, though they mostly just operate within the party. Lieberman was ousted in 2006 because he was in a safe Dem state and he was an asshole. No one ever seriously talks about primarying Joe Manchin or Jim Matheson because liberals have accepted they're not going to do much better in those districts or states.

Wall Street and establishment GOPers are furious with the TP right now, it could get bad.

lol, they made this bed. Time for them to lie in it.

That and large parts of the party are batshit insane and will primary the moderates that rebel. Tea Party is here to stay until the party dies.

FLEABttn

Banned
After Hannity played a montage of administration officials “in denial,” Paul observed that “liberals have no idea of how capitalism works.”

Hannity brought up the “propaganda ads” released by the White House, comparing them to “old former Soviet Union propaganda.” Paul pointed out that if it’s so good, “why do they have to advertise to get you to do it?”

Yes, because there's not a single capitalist that uses advertising. Liberals clearly don't understand capitalism.

Diablos

KXHXhOd.png

lmao

“Liberals have no idea of how capitalism works. They have no idea why, when you go to Wal-Mart, products are cheap, how they get from one point to the other, and how they’re distributed in such a cheap fashion.”

Yep, only conservatives know that monopsony power is effective at reducing costs. That's why they are staunch supporters of single payer health care as the solution to out-of-control health care costs.

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) is working on legislation to effectively delay Obamacare's individual mandate for one year, his office told TPM on Wednesday.

His spokesman, Jonathan Kott, said Manchin opposes a bill proposed by Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) to delay the mandate for a more indefinite period of time while problems with the insurance exchanges persist.

"He doesn't support the Rubio bill and is working on bill to delay the penalty for a year," Kott said.

Manchin is a longtime critic of the individual mandate but voted with Democrats against GOP efforts to delay it during the government shutdown debate.

This guy is just terrible.

Let him. The bill will not pass and obama won't sign it
He already has the authority to change open enrollment

Let him so what he has to do. He was with the party when it was important

Yep. it's completely political so he can go to his constituents and say he tried to delay it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Approval of Affordable Care Act Inches Up

Despite the highly publicized technical issues that have plagued the government's health insurance exchange website that went live on Oct. 1, Americans' views of the Affordable Care Act are slightly more positive now than they were in August. Forty-five percent now approve of the law, while 50% disapprove, for a net approval score of -5. In June and August, net approval was slightly lower, at -8.

That's a very good sign. I think that's because more people are simply being informed about what exactly Obamacare is, even without the website. Businesses have been doing the Obamacare education that they are forced to do, and individuals now know they have to look into what it actually is whether they want to or not.

If it's only the shutdown that is effecting those numbers, that's a bad sign since the shutdown will eventually be forgotten, but I don't know why anyone would change their mind about Obamacare because of the shutdown.

Hopefully the site is fixed soon so by December we'll already have crossed the line to Obamacare having a positive approval rating. If we did +3 in one month with site errors, surely we can do +5 in the next two.

The approval rating of Obamacare was about the only statistic Republicans had to use as ammo during the shutdown. Imagine they did it again with that stat going the opposite direction.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I see the GOP surviving if it happened.

Tea Partiers go Libertarian > Democrats dominate elections > Democrats move left > moderate Democrats switch to GOP > balance between Democrats and Republicans returns

Unless the imbalance somehow unexpectedly leads to electoral reform, which allows third parties to survive. Then the Greens will rise alongside the Libertarians! (I wish.)

Whats the logic that makes Democrats want to change their ways in the face of success.

Approval of Affordable Care Act Inches Up

That's a very good sign. I think that's because more people are simply being informed about what exactly Obamacare is, even without the website. Businesses have been doing the Obamacare education that they are forced to do, and individuals now know they have to look into what it actually is whether they want to or not.

If it's only the shutdown that is effecting those numbers, that's a bad sign since the shutdown will eventually be forgotten, but I don't know why anyone would change their mind about Obamacare because of the shutdown.

Hopefully the site is fixed soon so by December we'll already have crossed the line to Obamacare having a positive approval rating. If we did +3 in one month with site errors, surely we can do +5 in the next two.

The approval rating of Obamacare was about the only statistic Republicans had to use as ammo during the shutdown. Imagine they did it again with that stat going the opposite direction.
I have a good friend that went from "no opinion" to "interested" to "has insurance" in the span of three weeks.

The exchanges, despite all their problems, are changing opinions. People now see the bill for what it is - a quick way to compare and buy relatively cheap insurance - as opposed to what they once were told it would be - death panels for granny, doctors quitting, etc.

I have a good friend that went from "no opinion" to "interested" to "has insurance" in the span of three weeks.

The exchanges, despite all their problems, are changing opinions. People now see the bill for what it is - a quick way to compare and buy relatively cheap insurance - as opposed to what they once were told it would be - death panels for granny, doctors quitting, etc.

Which is exactly why I say I welcome the GOP anti-Obamacare stance this time next year. They will look like fools fighting against millions of people who have finally entered the insurance marketplace and prices they can afford and coverage they at least find decent enough.

The Dems need to embrace this by next summer full-on.

Which is exactly why I say I welcome the GOP anti-Obamacare stance this time next year. They will look like fools fighting against millions of people who have finally entered the insurance marketplace and prices they can afford and coverage they at least find decent enough.

Only way for Dems to embrace it is for the system to be working. I.E., the websites need to be working.

Only way for Dems to embrace it is for the system to be working. I.E., the websites need to be working.

Of course. I have a hard time believing they won't be by then.

great article here about the GOp crocodile tears: http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...c9ba9a-3bdd-11e3-b7ba-503fb5822c3e_story.html

Love this bit at the end:

Like Butch Matthews, 61, a former small-business owner and lifelong Republican from Little Rock. Matthews and his wife, too young for Medicare, had been paying over $1,000 a month in the individual market for a Blue Cross Blue Shield policy with a $10,000 deductible.

“I did not think that Obamacare was going to be a good plan,” he told the (highly functional) Web site ThinkProgress. “I did not think that it was going to help me at all.”

He thought wrong. The policy Matthews just bought from the Arkansas Obamacare marketplace will cost him nothing after income-based subsidies and has a deductible of $750. Doctor visits will cost him $8 instead of nearly $150. He stands to save at least $13,000 a year

“I still am a very strong Republican, but . . . I am so happy this came along,” Matthews said.

If enough Republican voters have happy endings like this, it won’t be long before the GOP’s crocodile tears turn real.

My friend got insurance through the federal website in North Carolina. By all accounts it's improved considerably from three weeks ago, and things will presumably continue to get better by the day.

Seriously. If a lot of people sign up and get decent insurance and this whole thing dies down, the GOP are going to look like huge dickbags for shutting down the government over nothing but a program to help people get some reasonably priced health insurance.

10 years from now they'll have thrown the shut-down into the memory hole and will instead be talking about how this system came out of the Heritage Foundation and was pioneered by Romneycare. Just like they completely ignore that Reagan said that freedom would be dead if we passed Medicare.

Then the fight moves to Medicare for all

Btw There was an extremely funny anti aca alternate future editorial in the wsj today by a doctor. Ill see if I can dig it up

Then the fight moves to Medicare for all.

Yep.

I was debating with a republican/libertarian even on FB about the ACA. He hates it, we were going back and forth. He took issue with Obama lying that people can keep their new plan and said carriers shouldn't be able to kick people off of their own plans. I brought up preexisting conditions and asked if he is against carriers denying folks. He said he is. I asked for a system that would be better than ACA but would also cover those with preexisting conditions. He refused to answer and so I said the followin

you have a choice: Have the ER be able to deny services to people without insurance (prices will fall) or you are going to continue to have prices increase at the rate they are. Do you know why? Because these people who don't have a PCP nor coverage will goto the ER for anything and most often they cannot pay the bills. Guess who does. You do. I do. We are paying for them in our premiums, our medical bills, hospital bills.

Do you know why every plan is increasing in cost? One reason is because all plans offer unlimited doctor visits with just a copay. Do you know the reason for this? To get people who are sick to see their PCP or urgent care and not to goto the ER. Why? To stop the cost of care from going up 20-30% annually. The idea is if you get the sick to see their doctor or urgent care first you can stop many of the problems that cause them to goto the ER and bankrupt them and us.

Do you know the only way to allow the sick to get insurance without bankrupting them still? To increase the amount of healthy people into the pool, just like car insurance, renters insurance, and life insurance. Have more people paying into the system that aren't using their policy than those that are. This is why young folks have to have it because without them the system crashes (FYI, the system was on it's way to crashing with the status quo). The young folks will one day need coverage and if they don't have it we will pay for them (we already were).

So I will ask again, if you want people to not be rejected for preexisting conditions or dropped for it during their policy, please recommend a better way than what we have now. Bonus: A public option would have done it much better but two Dems stopped it in it's track and no GOP senator supported it. Now I sit back and wait for your ideas.

His response?

Good questions. I will give what you say some thought. Right now, I am so upset at the lying and no one saying anything about it. And this goes for both sides--Reps and Dems. I can't believe they can look us right in the face and just lie. I gotta get back to work, but I will read what you say and think about if I have anything to offer.

It's funny that when people actually come to understand why the mandate is needed that they understand no option is perfect.

Yep.

I was debating with a republican/libertarian even on FB about the ACA. He hates it, we were going back and forth. He took issue with Obama lying that people can keep their new plan and said carriers shouldn't be able to kick people off of their own plans. I brought up preexisting conditions and asked if he is against carriers denying folks. He said he is. I asked for a system that would be better than ACA but would also cover those with preexisting conditions. He refused to answer and so I said the followin

His response?

It's funny that when people actually come to understand why the mandate is needed that they understand no option is perfect.

Obama never said people wouldn't lose their plans. Obama said the gov't itself would never force people out of their plans. Technically, he didn't lie.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I just thought of something. You know how Erick Erickson said that he'd be boycotting Walgreens and Rite-Aid because they're participating in Obamacare? By the same logic, doesn't that mean he should be boycotting all the insurance companies that are also participating in Obamacare?

eh... Normally I'm all for things that are "technically not lies", but even this here seems kind of shaky... :-/

But he's right. Insurance companies changed plans on you before the ACA. As did employers. From that perspective, nothing has changed. Obama was countering the notion that the gov't would take away your insurance, which it's not.

"When I say if you have your plan and you like it, or you have a doctor and you like your doctor, that you don’t have to change plans, what I’m saying is the government is not going to make you change plans under health reform."
- Obama in 2009.

sangreal

why are the dems letting the gop get away with bashing the federal exchange which is only a problem because GOP governors refused to implement their own working exchanges? It seems pretty easy to frame it on conservative terms as a project that would've worked better at the state level if they hadn't blocked it

Piecake

why are the dems letting the gop get away with bashing the federal exchange which is only a problem because GOP governors refused to implement their own working exchanges?

Probably because the law allowed them to. Youre basically criticizing the law if you do that. Democrats bet and lost that republicans would be more pragmatic, rational, and philosophically consistent than they actually are.

leroidys

why are the dems letting the gop get away with bashing the federal exchange which is only a problem because GOP governors refused to implement their own working exchanges? It seems pretty easy to frame it on conservative terms as a project that would've worked better at the state level if they hadn't blocked it

It would be tantamount to admitting that the states have new costs to deal with to implement the ACA.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
They can think what they want but that doesn't make any sense. By not setting up the exchange the federal government is permitted to, what I highlighted establishes that, so equating that to invalidating subsidies or barring access to exchanges altogether seems like a non-starter.

The argument being made by those challenging the IRS rule extending tax credits to federal exchanges is that the statute limits the availability of tax credits to state exchanges, and the IRS doesn't have the authority to contradict a statute by regulation.

The argument goes something like this (I'm summarizing this article):

1.) Section 1311 of the PPACA provides rules for states setting up an American Health Benefit Exchange. While the section provides that states "shall" set up those exchanges, the federal government can't command states to participate in federal programs.

2.) Recognizing that it couldn't actually command states to establish exchanges, Congress, in section 1321, requires the federal Dept. of Health and Human Services to establish exchanges in states that fail (or refuse) to do so in compliance with 1311.

3.) Section 1401 amends the Internal Revenue Code to provide a tax credit for certain taxpayers. The credit is equal to "the sum of the premium assistance amounts . . . with respect to all coverage months of the taxpayer" during the year. A "coverage month," in turn, is defined as any month if, "as of the first day of such month the taxpayer . . . is covered by a qualified health plan . . . that was enrolled in through an Exchange established by the State under section 1311" (and if the taxpayer pays the premium for coverage for such month). If an exchange wasn't established by the state under section 1311, then there can be no "coverage month," and if there is no "coverage month," then there can be no credit.

4.) Section 1513 amends the Internal Revenue Code to provide penalties to "applicable large employers" who fail to provide health insurance--this is the "employer mandate." However, the penalty is only triggered if "at least one full-time employee of the applicable large employer has . . . enrolled . . . in a qualified health plan with respect to which an applicable premium tax credit or cost-sharing reduction is allowed or paid with respect to the employee." "Applicable premium tax credit" refers to the credit created under section 1401; "cost-sharing reduction" refers to a cost-sharing reduction under section 1402. 1402 specifically states that "no cost-sharing reduction shall be allowed with respect to coverage for any month unless the month is a coverage month[.]" Hence, if an exchange wasn't established by the state under section 1311, then there can be no "coverage month," and if there is no "coverage month," then (a) there can be no credit (as mentioned above); (b) there can be no cost-sharing reduction; and (c) there is no employer mandate for employers in that state.

5.) Section 1501 imposes the "individual mandate," but exempts certain taxpayers who can't afford insurance. In determining whether a person can afford insurance, the law takes into account any credit allowed under section 1401. For at least some taxpayers--the article I'm summarizing estimates about 12 million--the availability of the credit would push them out of this exemption, and so impose a penalty. But, if there is no credit available, then those 12 million would not be subject to the penalty.

6.) Despite the plain language of the law, the IRS rule purports to extend the tax credits to individuals in states where the federal government has established an exchange. In effect, the IRS has (a) granted tax credits that Congress has not authorized and (b) raised taxes that Congress has not imposed. Regardless of whether you think credits should be available on federal exchanges, who can argue with the proposition that the IRS should not craft regulations that contradict acts of Congress?

This argument, when properly understood, is pretty persuasive. That's not to say that it will win, but it's well worth your time considering the actual argument being made rather than just a newspaper report summarizing it.

KingK

why are the dems letting the gop get away with bashing the federal exchange which is only a problem because GOP governors refused to implement their own working exchanges?

Seriously. "There is no excuse for the technical glitches people have had to experience, but the website is getting better every day and people are working around the clock until it's fixed for good. It's also important to note that the online exchanges in states, like California, that chose to create their own exchanges have been running very smoothly. If the GOP were so serious about their love of states' rights, then Republican governors and legislators in state capitols around the country would have taken advantage of their right in the law to set up their own exchanges and websites, rather than cede that authority to the federal government."

Is that really so hard? Something like that should be said by every Democrat questioned about the healthcare.gov glitches.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously. "There is no excuse for the technical glitches people have had to experience, but the website is getting better every day and people are working around the clock until it's fixed for good. It's also important to note that the online exchanges in states, like California, that chose to create their own exchanges have been running very smoothly. If the GOP were so serious about their love of states' rights, then Republican governors and legislators in state capitols around the country would have taken advantage of their right in the law to set up their own exchanges and websites, rather than cede that authority to the federal government."

Is that really so hard? Something like that should be said by every Democrat questioned about the healthcare.gov glitches.

I think you have to be careful about using your enemies' words against them as they could be seen as an endorsement of those enemies' words. Saying states would have done the website better can be countered by saying states could do the entire bill better.

Damn, someone is losing their job over this....

my guess is what they're doing is changing the mandate to "proof of insurance bought."

Right now, the way the mandate works, is you can't not have insurance for 3 months, so you must have it by march 31st.

But as anyone who has ever gotten insurance knows, insurance

A. starts the 1st of the month
B. takes 2 weeks or so to process.

So the "real" mandate date was like February 15th to be able to have insurance by March 1st (and therefore the 31st).

So my guess is they're going to allow people who prove to have at least bought insurance by March 31st be exempt from the penalty. This way they keep the actual open enrollment date (which was up to march 31st regardless) and all they do it move the purchase cutoff date. Honestly, this is also less confusing for people. Purchase by the day the enrollment period ends.

edit: technically speaking, they only have the change the mandate to 3 months + 1 day to move it back 4 weeks).

The argument being made by those challenging the IRS rule extending tax credits to federal exchanges is that the statute limits the availability of tax credits to state exchanges, and the IRS doesn't have the authority to contradict a statute by regulation.

The argument goes something like this (I'm summarizing this article):

1.) Section 1311 of the PPACA provides rules for states setting up an American Health Benefit Exchange. While the section provides that states "shall" set up those exchanges, the federal government can't command states to participate in federal programs.

2.) Recognizing that it couldn't actually command states to establish exchanges, Congress, in section 1321, requires the federal Dept. of Health and Human Services to establish exchanges in states that fail (or refuse) to do so in compliance with 1311.

3.) Section 1401 amends the Internal Revenue Code to provide a tax credit for certain taxpayers. The credit is equal to "the sum of the premium assistance amounts . . . with respect to all coverage months of the taxpayer" during the year. A "coverage month," in turn, is defined as any month if, "as of the first day of such month the taxpayer . . . is covered by a qualified health plan . . . that was enrolled in through an Exchange established by the State under section 1311" (and if the taxpayer pays the premium for coverage for such month). If an exchange wasn't established by the state under section 1311, then there can be no "coverage month," and if there is no "coverage month," then there can be no credit.

4.) Section 1513 amends the Internal Revenue Code to provide penalties to "applicable large employers" who fail to provide health insurance--this is the "employer mandate." However, the penalty is only triggered if "at least one full-time employee of the applicable large employer has . . . enrolled . . . in a qualified health plan with respect to which an applicable premium tax credit or cost-sharing reduction is allowed or paid with respect to the employee." "Applicable premium tax credit" refers to the credit created under section 1401; "cost-sharing reduction" refers to a cost-sharing reduction under section 1402. 1402 specifically states that "no cost-sharing reduction shall be allowed with respect to coverage for any month unless the month is a coverage month[.]" Hence, if an exchange wasn't established by the state under section 1311, then there can be no "coverage month," and if there is no "coverage month," then (a) there can be no credit (as mentioned above); (b) there can be no cost-sharing reduction; and (c) there is no employer mandate for employers in that state.

5.) Section 1501 imposes the "individual mandate," but exempts certain taxpayers who can't afford insurance. In determining whether a person can afford insurance, the law takes into account any credit allowed under section 1401. For at least some taxpayers--the article I'm summarizing estimates about 12 million--the availability of the credit would push them out of this exemption, and so impose a penalty. But, if there is no credit available, then those 12 million would not be subject to the penalty.

6.) Despite the plain language of the law, the IRS rule purports to extend the tax credits to individuals in states where the federal government has established an exchange. In effect, the IRS has (a) granted tax credits that Congress has not authorized and (b) raised taxes that Congress has not imposed. Regardless of whether you think credits should be available on federal exchanges, who can argue with the proposition that the IRS should not craft regulations that contradict acts of Congress?

This argument, when properly understood, is pretty persuasive. That's not to say that it will win, but it's well worth your time considering the actual argument being made rather than just a newspaper report summarizing it.

This all just turns on whether the exchange set up by the Secretary is considered "an Exchange established by the State under 1311" within the meaning of 1401. I see no reason why it shouldn't be so considered, because all 1321 does is authorize the Secretary to establish an exchange on behalf of a state that does not, i.e., 1321 authorizes the Secretary to establish an "exchange established by the State under 1311." The reason this makes sense is because of the language used. The Secretary establishes "such Exchange," which is a reference to an exchange under 1311.

Here we go

Republicans aren't alone in their sharp critique's of HealthCare.gov's troubled rollout and assertions that changed are needed to the Affordable Care Act as a result. A growing group of congressional Democrats have started saying the same thing in the last few days, which could complicate things for the White House as it seeks to right the Obamacare ship.

The White House hopes to keep a unified Democratic caucus behind the health insurance marketplace, as Republicans seize on its problematic launch to call for changes to the ACA. But in the last few days, there have been signs of cracks in party unity.

Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH) said in a statement Tuesday that she would support extending Obamacare's open enrollment -- which is supposed to end on March 31 -- to ensure people have time to sign up for coverage if they've been stymied by the glitches of the first few weeks.

"As you continue to fix problems with the website and the enrollment process, it is critical that the Administration be open to modifications that provide greater flexibility for the American people seeking to access health insurance," Shaheen said in a letter addressed to President Obama.

Sen. Mark Pryor (D-AR), who is facing a tough re-election campaign in Arkansas, told CNN Wednesday that he supported Shaheen's suggestion. CNN later reported that, according to a "senior dem source," every Democratic senator up for reelection in 2014 would back the proposal.

Another Senate Democrat from a red-tinged state, Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV), will soon take things even further and introduce a bill to delay Obamacare's individual mandate for one year, his office told TPM. Manchin's bill -- which would be a much more significant blow to Obamacare -- hasn't received public support from any other Democratic senators. It's a counter to an upcoming bill from Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL), expected to be introduced next week, that would call for the mandate to be delayed until six months after the Government Accountability Office confirms HealthCare.gov is running properly.

And coming out of a private briefing Wednesday by the administration, some House Democrats also expressed openness to a mandate delay.

"If the problems are intense as they are this morning, then maybe we would have to consider a short delay in terms of the individual mandate," Rep. Bill Pascrell (D-NJ) told Yahoo! News. "I say, 'maybe.' I have a good feeling that we're going to overcome these things."

It's that second part of Pascrell's statement that the White House and Democratic leadership are counting on. Some members might be frustrated -- Rep. Richard Nolan (D-MN) told the Associated Press that Obama should fire somebody -- but leadership hopes their support for the ACA will override those concerns.

After the administration briefing, House Democratic leaders delivered that message: Fix it, but don't gut it. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) said explicitly that she didn't support Shaheen's proposal for an extended open enrollment period.

"I think somebody should fix it," Pelosi said at a Wednesday press conference. "And again, I am a big believer, coming from where I do, in California, I have great confidence in technology and its ability to bring fresh eyes to the subject and fix it so that we can go forward. Just fix it. Just fix it."

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

That's nice, but if I may modify that into something even more effective:

Obama said:
I am just as outraged as my Republican colleagues are that so many poor, uninsured people aren't able to sign up for insurance partially paid for by government subsidies as quickly and smoothly as possible.

Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom