• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

I'm wondering if, say, a 3-month CR at sequester levels, plus a DL raise, would get the job done. It would give them some time to put a budget together, and not be locked into 6 months of sequester spending. Then the Dems can make some concessions to get higher spending levels, win the house in 2014, and reverse all the concessions and raise spending again.

no. there should be no concessions. no negotiations. this is 100% a crisis fabricated by the far right and they should have to fold.

negotiating now tells them they can do this again and keep getting what they want. or getting anything that they want.

Riki

Several polls come out showing Republican popularity at an all time low= no big deal
A couple hundred people show up in Washington for a rally= we are turning this around

We need to unskew these protesters.
The math says there were really less than 50 (with a +4 margin).

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
no. there should be no concessions. no negotiations. this is 100% a crisis fabricated by the far right and they should have to fold.

negotiating now tells them they can do this again and keep getting what they want. or getting anything that they want.

I agree with no negotiating until after a clean CR/DL has been passed. I'm just talking about the actual budget, which needs to be negotiated at some point.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Several polls come out showing Republican popularity at an all time low= no big deal
A couple hundred people show up in Washington for a rally= we are turning this around

The Tea Party lives in a bubble within a bubble. This should be no surprise.

Diablos

This new crap from Republicans is horseshit. Didn't Boehner learn his lesson? Are Blue dogs behind this?
Blue Dogs are only behind the Collins plan, not even 100% afaik, so I doubt it.

As for if Boehner learned his lesson... he didn't all these other times, why would he now? Reid needs to get something over there tomorrow, see what the GOP does with it.

AniHawk

I agree with no negotiating until after a clean CR/DL has been passed. I'm just talking about the actual budget, which needs to be negotiated at some point.

Cygnus was advocating concessions later. There will probably have to be some kind of concession if we want to reverse the sequester.

ah, gotcha.

yeah that would be fine. there should always be some sort of negotiating for whatever reason, to try and make things run better (haha ha. ah...), but having the government and world economy as a hostage isn't going to work.

Diablos

ah, gotcha.

yeah that would be fine. there should always be some sort of negotiating for whatever reason, to try and make things run better (haha ha. ah...), but having the government and world economy as a hostage isn't going to work.
If people like Costa aren't wrong, the House GOP begs to differ, even if they prove to be on the wrong side of history.

CygnusXS

but having the government and world economy as a hostage isn't going to work.

It should also, in my opinion, be illegal. But, each their own.

It seems the only hold-up - in the Senate - right now is an agreement on the length of time of the CR, which seems like a fairly easy thing to come to an agreement on.

Diablos

It should also, in my opinion, be illegal. But, each their own.

It seems the only hold-up - in the Senate - right now is an agreement on the length of time of the CR, which seems like a fairly easy thing to come to an agreement on.
And then it goes back to the House and things like Lankford's deep cutz 3.0 get added

Blue Dogs are only behind the Collins plan, not even 100% afaik, so I doubt it.

As for if Boehner learned his lesson... he didn't all these other times, why would he now? Reid needs to get something over there tomorrow, see what the GOP does with it.
I mean I thought the Senate was going to take over because the GOP kept shitting the bed. Now Boehner comes up with this brilliant plan. We've already been through this. It's DOA.

Diablos

I mean I thought the Senate was going to take over because the GOP kept shitting the bed. Now Boehner comes up with this brilliant plan. We've already been through this. It's DOA.
DOA in... realistic terms; what if it is all the GOP will muster even at 11:15 PM on Wednesday night?

What does Obama do?

Extraordinary measures or he caves. I don't even think Obama has his mind made up about that, should it happen, tbh. I think he's hoping for the best.

Riki

DOA in... realistic terms; what if it is all the GOP will muster even at 11:15 PM on Wednesday night?

What does Obama do?

Extraordinary measures or he caves. I don't even think Obama has his mind made up about that, should it happen, tbh. I think he's hoping for the best.
He can't afford to do anything. Everything he does will hurt the people in the long run.
The question becomes, does he want to destroy the GOP along with it.

Unstable

Has this been Posted?

Louie Gohmert: A Debt Default Is 'An Impeachable Offense By The President

When asked whether he would allow the government to default on its debt, Gohmert projected the responsibility for such circumstances onto Obama.

"No," he said, "that would be an impeachable offense by the president."

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4094707/

WTH??? What is wrong with these people?

From the US Federal Government Shutdown Thread.

gcubed

Dems need to add gun restriction triggers and some tax like. 5% raise on people earning 500k or more every 90 days with a maxium of 100%

I'm assuming they don't want to hurt themselves in the PR battle but that's how id approach it. Every day add something completely left wing

CygnusXS

Speaking of left wing ideas...

Say the Dems get full control of Congress next year. What should their top priorities be?

-Reverse the sequester
-Immigration reform
-Fix the VRA

What else? Expand environmental protections?

pigeon

Banned

Say the Dems get full control of Congress next year. What should their top priorities be?

-Reverse the sequester
-Immigration reform
-Fix the VRA

Fixing the VRA isn't enough -- we should be explicitly guaranteeing a federal right to the vote, starting by naming people to the FEC and regulating voting laws.

I wouldn't be too unhappy with a public option, either.

Also: gun control. Just go ahead and pass the fucker, we've lost rural America anyway.

edit: PD pointed out that duh, the number one priority is more stimulus. Today's been a weird day since my tweet about the Confederate flag went viral.

CygnusXS

Also: gun control. Just go ahead and pass the fucker, we've lost rural America anyway.

America isn't my country, so you'll probably have a better feel for this than I would. What would an all Democrat government realistically pass on this issue?

Nah, because the Dems are constantly on the "clean" kick, that means not adding anything.

Yeah, I've been tempted to say that Obama should start asking for immigration reform, a tax hike, or other stuff if he is going to get blamed for this shutdown in order to get a better negotiation. But they've actually been much smarter than me and better at message discipline and just asked for a clean bill. That is probably the best move.

-Reverse the sequester
-Immigration reform
-Fix the VRA

The sequester will probably be replaced with the cuts made in the Senate Democrats' budget.

Immigration reform will literally be the bill the Senate passed.

VRA fix will be a tweak.

Republicans and the media will accuse Democrats of overreach with a radical left-wing agenda.

gcubed

Fixing the VRA isn't enough -- we should be explicitly guaranteeing a federal right to the vote, starting by naming people to the FEC and regulating voting laws.

I wouldn't be too unhappy with a public option, either.

edit: PD pointed out that duh, the number one priority is more stimulus. Today's been a weird day since my tweet about the Confederate flag went viral.

Which tweet?

AniHawk

i think it'll be 2016 once dems fully get the house back, but that doesn't mean they can't get the ball rolling by focusing on immigration reform in 2014 and really building a base of their own.

pigeon

Banned
America isn't my country, so you'll probably have a better feel for this than I would. What would an all Democrat government realistically pass on this issue?

It depends on what's going on, probably. Ideally I'd like to see some reasonable reforms like restrictions on semiautomatic rifles and high-capacity magazines. Maybe required psychological profiling and safety training for handguns.

Which tweet?

https://twitter.com/liamlburke/statuses/389465188132339715

Has this been Posted?

From the US Federal Government Shutdown Thread.

If he defaults . . . impeach him.
If he claims the 14th Amendment and borrows more to not default . . . impeach him.

Conservatives always complain about being called racist all the time. But this is the reason why. They create nonsensical or contradictory reasons for hating or bashing Obama such that others are forced to look for other reasons why they don't like him. Things like racism.

Chichikov

Economist -economics of cow ownership

I would say gold might be better. I have to think people (gold bugs) would start reflexively buying gold if we defaulted.
Why choose?

KRGXeO6.jpg

I mean shit, Charlton Heston is dead, it's time to PARTY!

I apologize for this but how would you folks respond to said question?

If government spending helps so much, why didn't we get out of the Great Depression earlier or even go into it at all? It didn't seem to have any real significant positive effects on the economy.

Are you denying that we had the hugest austerity in our history in 1946?

This is what I said:

let's ask why we cut spending in 1946. Hmm, could it be that we CAME BACK FROM WW2? No. That surely couldn't be it. Now, let's ask WHY the economy exploded after we came back. Was it BECAUSE we cut? No. It was BECAUSE families had their fathers and husbands home who wanted to buy a home, had more employment opportunities, more industries popping up, and people wanting to spend money.

pigeon

Banned

We were on the gold standard.

800px-GDP_depression.svg.png

See the dip around 1937 where the recession starts again? That's the year FDR balanced the budget.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/12/are-we-about-to-repeat-the-mistakes-of-1937/

I don't know what that guy is smoking, but it looks to me like the New Deal was getting us out of the Great Depression just fine even without World War II, as long as FDR didn't curb federal spending.

Karakand

The folks from the WA exchange have told us to tell this to our customers for those who dont want Medicaid. We refuse since doing so can cost us our license but yea, folks can do it.

Thankfully I have no professional accreditation to lose, or industry ethics guidelines to follow.

On a related note, this might be the first time in American history where people fall over themselves to pay more in taxes.

This is what I said:

Your response is correct. Of course spending was cut after WWII. But it was the spending during the war (largest deficits ever and full employment) that fueled the economy for decades thereafter. The generous benefits given to veterans after the war only helped more.

On another note, I was around and my brother and dad were talking on the phone (on speaker) and they brought up the idea of making it so that only land owners could vote. And they were all for it. My brother was all for it, and he fucking rents an apartment for crying out loud. I. Don't. Get. It. I cannot fathom this bubble conservatives live in anymore. I honestly can't. Where do they get that this is a good idea?!

This whole shutdown has brought a carnival of stupid.

On another note, I was around and my brother and dad were talking on the phone (on speaker) and they brought up the idea of making it so that only land owners could vote. And they were all for it. My brother was all for it, and he fucking rents an apartment for crying out loud. I. Don't. Get. It. I cannot fathom this bubble conservatives live in anymore. I honestly can't. Where do they get that this is a good idea?!

This whole shutdown has brought a carnival of stupid.

screw the 50s, we going back to 1787 now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom