• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
If she was running instead of her father I would be working for her campaign. She'd be the next Eisenhower. Only, you know, female.

I might vote for Donald Jr.

Where did France or Spain get the title to sell or transfer ownership of the Louisiana Territory? Or Jefferson the authority to purchase it?

The Mexican cession was gained through a war sold on lies!

Where did Russia get authority to sell Alaska to the U.S.?

Come see the violence inherent in the state!

Carly Fiorina a gaffer confirmed :)

New GOP Iowa numbers from PPP:

Trump 28%
Cruz 26%
Rubio 13%
Carson 8%
Bush 6%

Trump is TOO good at this.

It's actually impressive. If he weren't such a fuck, I'd applaud him for playing everyone in the media and the party perfectly. If he wins Iowa and NH, it's over correct? No question?

New GOP Iowa numbers from PPP:

Trump 28%
Cruz 26%
Rubio 13%
Carson 8%
Bush 6%

“Our poll findings show the Birther Issue could actually cost Cruz Iowa,” Tom Jensen, Public Policy Polling’s director, told Business Insider in an email.

Overall, when respondents were told that Cruz was born in Canada, the vast majority — 65% — said it wouldn’t make a difference in whether they support him or not. But 24% said it makes them less likely to vote for Cruz. Jensen argued that in such a close race, “that could end up being a difference maker.”
Trump is TOO good at this.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Sanders wins the support of MoveOn, a Democratic PAC initially set up to support Bill Clinton, taking 340,000 votes in a closed membership only poll. That gives the Sanders campaign direct access to 7,000,000 people and a lot of funding - plus MoveOn are strong on the ground in Iowa, Obama used their resources a lot.

Man, Iowa is going to be so exciting.

Talking of which, interesting sneak peak at the Sanders ground game:

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/v...the-foot-soldiers-in-sanders-iowa-ground-game

benjipwns

Banned
more:
Q16
Given the choices of just Donald Trump, Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, and Ted Cruz who would you support for the Republican nomination for President?
33%
Donald Trump

9%
Jeb Bush

18%
Marco Rubio

36%
Ted Cruz

Q17
Given the choices of just Donald Trump, Marco Rubio, and Ted Cruz who would you support for the Republican nomination for President?
32%
Donald Trump

22%
Marco Rubio

38%
Ted Cruz

Q18
Given the choices of just Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, and Ted Cruz who would you support for the Republican nomination for President?
11%
Jeb Bush

24%
Marco Rubio

54%
Ted Cruz

Q19
Who would you prefer as the Republican candidate if you had to choose between just Jeb Bush and Donald Trump?
29%
Jeb Bush

60%
Donald Trump

Q20
Who would you prefer as the Republican candidate if you had to choose between just Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio?
59%
Ted Cruz

26%
Marco Rubio

Q21
Who would you prefer as the Republican candidate if you had to choose between just Ted Cruz and Donald Trump?
54%
Ted Cruz

37%
Donald Trump

Q22
Who would you prefer as the Republican candidate if you had to choose between just Marco Rubio and Donald Trump?
46%
Marco Rubio

45%
Donald Trump
Q28
Did Carly Fiorina rooting for Iowa over her alma mater of Stanford in the Rose Bowl make you more or less likely to support her for the Republican nomination for President, or did it not make a difference?
7%
More likely

15%
Less likely

Are you offended by bilingual phone menus where you press 1 to continue in English and 2 to continue in Spanish, or not?
52%
Offended by bilingual phone menus

40%
Not offended by bilingual phone menus
President Obama teared up while announcing an executive action on gun control this week. Do you think his tears were sincere, or do you think he faked them?
16%
Obama’s tears were sincere

69%
Obama’s tears were fake

noshten

Sanders wins the support of MoveOn, a Democratic PAC initially set up to support Bill Clinton, taking 340,000 votes in a closed membership only poll. That gives the Sanders campaign direct access to 7,000,000 people and a lot of funding - plus MoveOn are strong on the ground in Iowa, Obama used their resources a lot.

Man, Iowa is going to be so exciting.

Talking of which, interesting sneak peak at the Sanders ground game:

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/v...the-foot-soldiers-in-sanders-iowa-ground-game

That was expected, Hillary declined to even appear on their forum and seemed salty they supported Obama last time around.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That was expected, Hillary declined to even appear on their forum and seemed salty they supported Obama last time around.

I mean, it may have been at least somewhat expected, but it's bad for optics when you lose twice in a row an organization set up to support a critical player in your own campaign, and bad for your ground game when the largest PAC in America by membership that has a history of ground game involvement endorses your opponent. Certainly not what you want this close to Iowa.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Trump is like the best mirror ever held up the republican party ever.

edit: It does bother me how effective he was at getting people angsty about Bill Clinton.

Tom_Cody

It's actually impressive. If he weren't such a fuck, I'd applaud him for playing everyone in the media and the party perfectly. If he wins Iowa and NH, it's over correct? No question?
I think the biggest factor people aren't talking about is the question of how undecided voters will break and where people affiliated with minor candidates will go once the field narrows. Trump is at 28% in the poll you quoted and he doesn't have anything close to a majority in any poll.

In a wide range of recent polls, Cruz has looked to be in the best position for the actual primary voting conditions. He does well in one-on-one match-ups, his favorability is high across the party, and he ranks high in "second choice" votes. That said, to return to your actual question, his standing could take a big hit if he doesn't actually win Iowa.

HylianTom

Banned
I think the biggest factor people aren't talking about is the question of how undecided voters will break and where people affiliated with minor candidates will go once the field narrows. Trump is at 28% in the poll you quoted and he doesn't have anything close to a majority in any poll.

In a wide range of recent polls, Cruz has looked to be in the best position for the actual primary voting conditions. He does well in one-on-one match-ups, his favorability is high across the party, and he ranks high in "second choice" votes. That said, to return to your actual question, his standing could take a big hit if he doesn't actually win Iowa.

If those numbers are accurate..
Cruz has a path to victory.
Trump has a path to victory.

I'm struggling to see how anyone else does. One big assumption is that voters who support candidates in the Establishment Bracket will hop to another Establishment candidate if their first pick drops out. But those numbers don't really support this. Trump - but Cruz especially - appear to be gaining more of those establishment voters' support in those scenarios.

We were wondering about who would blink first: the candidates or the voters. This could be a big clue.

(I love it when pollsters ask these narrowed-down hypotheticals. I wish more would.)

http://www.vox.com/2016/1/12/10749984/hillary-clinton-pander

I encounter this attitude a lot and its frustrating. It amazing how adept the grassroots on both the left and right can expend vast amounts of words and effort criticizing politics for their actions but spend zero time contructing an alternative beyond magical thinking.

The internet has raised voice but the alternate decline in social groups, unions, civic groups has completely elimiated the populous compacity to actually do politics. This whole article is about how clinton hasn't forcefully appoligized enough for her criminal justice policies and hasn't proposed a fix for everything. But offers no attempt at demanding anything of her. She mentions there are "policies" that could end mass incarceration but doesn't list any examples. This isn't how politics works and its frustrating to constantly see people complain complain and complain, and indict every person for their crimes but refuse to really do the work of forcing politicians to act, that's what lobbyist have filled.

I think its a failure of how we teach history. We teach it in terms of inevitability and good hearted politicians that were guided by their good soul instead of the same kind we have now who were guided by the desire to get elected.

This happens on the right too with all their complains about RINOs

benjipwns

Banned
AP_9206131329.0.jpg

lol jesse

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I'm really hoping for is that Selzer release a day by day break-down of their numbers. They release in the Thursday and I think the poll was conducted over Saturday-Sunday-Monday-Tuesday. Obviously Sanders has an incredible press season from Monday onwards and it will be interesting to see if that will be represented.

http://www.vox.com/2016/1/12/10749984/hillary-clinton-pander

I encounter this attitude a lot and its frustrating. It amazing how adept the grassroots on both the left and right can expend vast amounts of words and effort criticizing politics for their actions but spend zero time contructing an alternative beyond magical thinking.

The internet has raised voice but the alternate decline in social groups, unions, civic groups has completely elimiated the populous compacity to actually do politics. This whole article is about how clinton hasn't forcefully appoligized enough for her criminal justice policies and hasn't proposed a fix for everything. But offers no attempt at demanding anything of her. She mentions there are "policies" that could end mass incarceration but doesn't list any examples. This isn't how politics works and its frustrating to constantly see people complain complain and complain, and indict every person for their crimes but refuse to really do the work of forcing politicians to act, that's what lobbyist have filled.

I think its a failure of how we teach history. We teach it in terms of inevitability and good hearted politicians that were guided by their good soul instead of the same kind we have now who were guided by the desire to get elected.

This happens on the right too with all their complains about RINOs

The (anything much past centre)-left have spent the past 30 years being either ignored or disdained by the centre-left. They've been in no position to do anything but criticisize (ultimately their vote goes back to the centre or vanishes when they sit out). People in this very thread dump on non-centrists and then act amazed that they aren't particularly enthused to support centrist candidates.

The right have responded by embracing their right wing and thus nullifying a lot of the ground that could have been gained through Third Way approaches by shifting the Overton Window. Though they seem to have hit the limit there.

The left and right are not symmetrical. It's why their problems are different (the right gets consistent base turn out, the left needs carrots). Populist right parties tend to thieve centre left voters (blue collar) to a far greater degree than populist left parties steal centre-right voters. That's because the centre-left have basically abandoned the economics that got them blue collar support but have kept social issues that make the blue collar worker uneasy. Compounded by the centre-left doing their best to remove the further left from the public sphere, which made the center-left look extreme*. If the parties were symmetrical beyond the wings disdain for centrists you wouldn't expect that kind of fundamental difference.

*The centre left has largely embraced gay marriage well after the point they embraced other civil rights in terms of public opinion. They behave in many ways like conservative parties waiting until things are clearly politically disadvantageous to not embrace.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think she also has a point: re not needing to necessarily give a solution. You're electing leaders to lead! You tell them a problem, they offer solutions, you take the one with the best solution. If you just tell them solutions, you may as well replace the entire political system with just a direct democracy. We have intermediaries because we trust them to be able to deal with these issues better than we can ourselves; because it's their *job* to do it. Sometimes, some of us can end up in jobs where politicians looking for how to present their solution or what more specific solution matches their general wide solutions go, like in advocacy groups, but that's not true of the average person and shouldn't have to be true of the average person. At best it's true of e.g. volunteers in funded advocacy movements.

That said, I'm somewhat conflicted on this issue myself. I can respect the other side of the argument too.

HylianTom

Banned
I'm incredibly sympathetic to her.

But a willingness to sabotage the possibility of future progress? That will always strike me as remarkable.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

But a willingness to sabotage the possibility of future progress? That will always strike me as remarkable.

Why is she willing to sabotage the possibility of future progress? She's probably intending to vote for the more electable candidate with the stronger racial justice program, which seems fair.

HylianTom

Banned
Why is she willing to sabotage the possibility of future progress? She's probably intending to vote for the more electable candidate with the stronger racial justice program, which seems fair.
She written in the past about how she won't vote for Hillary. Unless I misread her intent, she doesn't seem like she intends to support whoever the nominee is.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
She written in the past about how she won't vote for Hillary. Unless I misread her intent, she doesn't seem like she intends to support whoever the nominee is.

If politician knows, without a doubt, they have your vote, then they don't have to work for you. You have no leverage over them. There always has to be the threat you could vote for someone else. Whether you carry through with that threat is another thing, but the threat has to be believed.

By this metric you are obliged to vote for a serial killer over a genocidal maniac if those are your two candidates because one is less bad.

There's almost no limit to the compromises that can be made in the name of electability if the mere possibility of future good is the decider: you can run the same as your opponent but hint maybe you'll do better in the future and that'd be sufficient.

There's also no reason for candidates to actually do future progress if they are never punished for its lack. That centrist block is mighty attractive if you have nothing to fear.

In 1997, Michael Wayne Haley was arrested after stealing a calculator from Walmart. This was a crime that merited a maximum two-year prison term. But prosecutors incorrectly applied a habitual offender law. Neither the judge nor the defense lawyer caught the error and Haley was sentenced to 16 years.

Eventually, the mistake came to light and Haley tried to fix it. Ted Cruz was solicitor general of Texas at the time. Instead of just letting Haley go for time served, Cruz took the case to the Supreme Court to keep Haley in prison for the full 16 years.

Ted Cruz is evil.

The case reveals something interesting about Cruz’s character. Ted Cruz is now running strongly among evangelical voters, especially in Iowa. But in his career and public presentation Cruz is a stranger to most of what would generally be considered the Christian virtues: humility, mercy, compassion and grace. Cruz’s behavior in the Haley case is almost the dictionary definition of pharisaism: an overzealous application of the letter of the law in a way that violates the spirit of the law, as well as fairness and mercy.

Traditionally, candidates who have attracted strong evangelical support have in part emphasized the need to lend a helping hand to the economically stressed and the least fortunate among us. Such candidates include George W. Bush, Mike Huckabee and Rick Santorum.

But Cruz’s speeches are marked by what you might call pagan brutalism. There is not a hint of compassion, gentleness and mercy. Instead, his speeches are marked by a long list of enemies, and vows to crush, shred, destroy, bomb them. When he is speaking in a church the contrast between the setting and the emotional tone he sets is jarring.

David Brooks has never read The Old Testament.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/12/o...-ted-cruz.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=1

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
As an active example of this: black voters have consistently voted Democrat in every recent election and in recent elections have had the highest turnout as a racial demographic. Despite this, the Democratic party (not all members, by many) makes almost no active progress on racial justice issues and continues to simply defend the status quo. Now suppose that every single eligible black voter in America said "I am not going to vote Democrat unless you get x issue passed", and supposed that Democratic politicians genuinely believed them. That issue would pass so fast the bill would be on fire.

dramatis

On the economic views of Silicon Valley elites. [Vox]
"If we have 4 percent a year of GDP growth, all these problems would get solved," PayPal billionaire Peter Thiel told me when I quizzed him about inequality.

A plurality of founders agree: Among 33 founders I surveyed, 48 percent said that mediocre growth was more problematic than financial inequality, while 42 percent believed the opposite. Among the general population (as represented by 595 people polled on SurveyMonkey), 59 percent of people believe inequality is more important.
After dozens of interviews with new and big-name tech startup founders, I designed a structured battery of political and philosophical questions and randomly selected people from an exhaustive database of funded companies (more details on the methods here).

What emerged from my interviews and survey results was a set of views that are somewhat more nuanced than Graham’s, but also in agreement with his fundamental view of the world. Founders believe that equality of opportunity is crucial to a fair and healthy economy, while equality of outcome is economically paralyzing.

They believe that a relatively small slice of geniuses advance humanity more than the combined efforts of everyone else, and that economic growth is better at improving the overall quality of life than burdensome redistribution schemes.

And many believe that the best long-term solution to inequality may be a guaranteed basic minimum income, which minimizes regulation on innovation but ensures that the masses are well-off.
"An uninspired population is a stagnant population. Inequality breeds creativity, and fosters motivation to change one's situation," wrote Byron Morgan, founder of the music startup Vinylmint. "Mass change starts with one person inspiring another."

This is perhaps a more artful way to articulate the point Graham was trying to make when he wrote, "Most people who get rich tend to be fairly driven. Whatever their other flaws, laziness is usually not one of them."

I had family dinner on Sunday night (my grandma hit the big 9-0) and had the chance to chat with one of my cousins, who works as a 'financial writer' at an investment company on Wall Street, basically as a ghostwriter for the important rich owners of the company (her salary is six figures). It was sort of amusing to see how being in the work environment of nice and generally wealthy people has colored my cousin's view of what the real problems with America are. Reading the Vox article about the views that Silicon Valley elite hold made me think that my cousin would probably agree with this.

As an active example of this: black voters have consistently voted Democrat in every recent election and in recent elections have had the highest turnout as a racial demographic. Despite this, the Democratic party (not all members, by many) makes almost no active progress on racial justice issues and continues to simply defend the status quo. Now suppose that every single eligible black voter in America said "I am not going to vote Democrat unless you get x issue passed", and supposed that Democratic politicians genuinely believed them. That issue would pass so fast the bill would be on fire.

Ummm... How are Democrats going to overcome Republican majorities in the House and Senate to do this? In your scenario Republicans would benefit hugely, so why in the world would they agree to this? This is the classic Green Lantern theory of politics, which everyone agrees is completely flawed:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...antern-theory-of-presidential-power-persists/

Despite this, the Democratic party (not all members, by many) makes almost no active progress on racial justice issues and continues to simply defend the status quo.

Are you talking nationally or locally? Because there hasn't been a lot of progress on *anything* by *anybody* and a de facto lock on the status quo for the last 6 years.

If you mean locally, I think you have to build a case for that.

HylianTom

Banned
By this metric you are obliged to vote for a serial killer over a genocidal maniac if those are your two candidates because one is less bad.

There's almost no limit to the compromises that can be made in the name of electability if the mere possibility of future good is the decider: you can run the same as your opponent but hint maybe you'll do better in the future and that'd be sufficient.

There's also no reason for candidates to actually do future progress if they are never punished for its lack. That centrist block is mighty attractive if you have nothing to fear.

The thing about her case that strikes me as asinine: Hillary has reached out, and has asked for policy suggestions from movement representatives, has stated that she will continue to work on this and meet with them in the future, etc - this is all documented - and the author brushes that aside because it's apparently, magically not good enough.

It honestly makes me wonder if there's an ulterior motive on the part of the author.

We see an apparently sympathetic politician asking for policy suggestions. Her ears and mind are open. And this author instead decides to snipe.

If politician knows, without a doubt, they have your vote, then they don't have to work for you. You have no leverage over them. There always has to be the threat you could vote for someone else. Whether you carry through with that threat is another thing, but the threat has to be believed.
Someone gets it. Good lord, I've felt so alone in this group.

NeoXChaos

Are you talking nationally or locally? Because there hasn't been a lot of progress on *anything* by *anybody* and a de facto lock on the status quo for the last 6 years.

If you mean locally, I think you have to build a case for that.

Democrats don't have a magic wand to stop Rick Scott from cutting voting days and hours. Nor do they have it to stop John Husted in Ohio from implementing voter ID.

The case reveals something interesting about Cruz’s character. Ted Cruz is now running strongly among evangelical voters, especially in Iowa. But in his career and public presentation Cruz is a stranger to most of what would generally be considered the Christian virtues: humility, mercy, compassion and grace. Cruz’s behavior in the Haley case is almost the dictionary definition of pharisaism: an overzealous application of the letter of the law in a way that violates the spirit of the law, as well as fairness and mercy.

Most evangelicals are strangers to the Christian virtues of humility, mercy, compassion and grace. They've essentially become forced baby making, gay hating, Muslin loathing, white extremists.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Ummm... How are Democrats going to overcome Republican majorities in the House and Senate to do this? In your scenario Republicans would benefit hugely, so why in the world would they agree to this? This is the classic Green Lantern theory of politics, which everyone agrees is completely flawed:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...antern-theory-of-presidential-power-persists/

It's not just a matter of the federal level, it's a matter at state levels as well. There are many Democratic governors with Democratic state senates who do not sufficiently focus on racial justice. Even beyond that, in e.g. 2008-10, when the Democrats had absolute control, the obfuscation of Blue Dog Democrats prevented significant reforms happening. I think that's partly why liberals then did go on to refuse to vote for them, although in that instance it backfired because of redistributing taking place immediately after - enthusiasm was just so low [I'm not saying I defend this, I just say I empathize with why people acted the way they did]. Racial justice issues aren't just failing because of Republican obstructionism (although that plays a part), they also fail because in all honesty only a small portion of the Democratic party actually cares about them.

Brinbe

CNN going all-in on HRC trailing Bernie in NH/tied in IA, damn. Pushing that horse race narrative to an extreme.

This is gonna be a crazy (infuriating) next few weeks.

The thing about her case that strikes me as asinine: Hillary has reached out, and has asked for policy suggestions from movement representatives, has stated that she will continue to work on this and meet with them in the future, etc - this is all documented - and the author brushes that aside because it's apparently, magically not good enough.

It honestly makes me wonder if there's an ulterior motive on the part of the author.

We see an apparently sympathetic politician asking for policy suggestions. Her ears and mind are open. And this author instead decides to snipe.
Mass movements are notorious for not knowing the how. They're there to put pressure on the more politically savvy, not write plans or strategies for fulfillment. And honestly, expecting them to be able to do so is a bit ridiculous.

It's not just a matter of the federal level, it's a matter at state levels as well. There are many Democratic governors with Democratic state senates who do not sufficiently focus on racial justice. Even beyond that, in e.g. 2008-10, when the Democrats had absolute control, the obfuscation of Blue Dog Democrats prevented significant reforms happening. I think that's partly why liberals then did go on to refuse to vote for them, although in that instance it backfired because of redistributing taking place immediately after - enthusiasm was just so low [I'm not saying I defend this, I just say I empathize with why people acted the way they did]. Racial justice issues aren't just failing because of Republican obstructionism (although that plays a part), they also fail because in all honesty only a small portion of the Democratic party actually cares about them.

Blue Dog Democrats generally don't vote for racially progressive policies because the vast majority of their voters are white. So having minorities refuse to vote for the elected officials who would support the policies you're calling for won't hurt them at all. Nothing in this post defends your initial argument that black voters could force Democrats to pass legislation if they acted together. Its just hand waving combined with the specious argument that the 2010 election happened because the Democrats weren't liberal enough and not that fact that the unemployment rate was 9.8%.

HylianTom

Banned
Mass movements are notorious for not knowing the how. They're there to put pressure on the more politically savvy, not write plans or strategies for fulfillment. And honestly, expecting them to be able to do so is a bit ridiculous.
So this makes vilifying and blowing-off potential allies a logical and good thing to do then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom