• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob Dole's 1980 campaign wasn't a time for any kind of tom-foolery:
ZpV0uTP.gif

I've never seen another logo that was so fitting for the candidate.

So yeah, he's fiscally moderate but much, much more in line with the rest of the GOP on social issues.

does "fiscally moderate" mean "privatizing every state agency in sight and slashing the shit out of state taxes but with token medicaid expansion", now or is that just in the context of the GOP?

Dunno how anyone could seriously like Jeb's logo. It's like the logo off of an off brand cereal or something. Hillary's logo is boring but good for Google doodle stuff as mentioned.

Just something for the media to talk about I guess.

HylianTom

Banned
If anyone was wondering about the possibility of social/cultural issues taking a back seat to other issues this campaign, all doubt should now be erased. There are too many points of contact, too many intersections in daily life.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Mike M

Nick N
I don't get what Ted Cruz is going for with his logo. Is it a drop of red-blooded American blood? A patriotic tear for how Onama destroyed the country as we know it? A candle flame that is the lone source of light in the thousand years of darkness?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Part Hillary Clinton's speech on Charlston:

Once again, racist rhetoric has metastasized into racist violence.

Now, it’s tempting, it is tempting to dismiss a tragedy like this as an isolated incident, to believe that in today’s America, bigotry is largely behind us, that institutionalized racism no longer exists.

But despite our best efforts and our highest hopes, America’s long struggle with race is far from finished.

I know this is a difficult topic to talk about. I know that so many of us hoped by electing our first Black president, we had turned the page on this chapter in our history.

I know there are truths we don’t like to say out loud or discuss with our children. But we have to. That’s the only way we can possibly move forward together.

Race remains a deep fault line in America. Millions of people of color still experience racism in their everyday lives.

Here are some facts.

In America today, Blacks are nearly three times as likely as whites to be denied a mortgage.

In 2013, the median wealth of Black families was around $11,000. For white families, it was more than $134,000.

Nearly half of all Black families have lived in poor neighborhoods for at least two generations, compared to just 7 percent of white families.

African American men are far more likely to be stopped and searched by police, charged with crimes, and sentenced to longer prison terms than white men, 10 percent longer for the same crimes in the federal system.

In America today, our schools are more segregated than they were in the 1960s.

How can any of that be true? How can it be true that Black children are 500 percent more likely to die from asthma than white kids? Five hundred percent!

More than a half century after Dr. King marched and Rosa Parks sat and John Lewis bled, after the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act and so much else, how can any of these things be true? But they are.

And our problem is not all kooks and Klansman. It’s also in the cruel joke that goes unchallenged. It’s in the off-hand comments about not wanting “those people” in the neighborhood.

Let’s be honest: For a lot of well-meaning, open-minded white people, the sight of a young Black man in a hoodie still evokes a twinge of fear. And news reports about poverty and crime and discrimination evoke sympathy, even empathy, but too rarely do they spur us to action or prompt us to question our own assumptions and privilege.
Very well said.

The problem is that her new side isn't genuine.

Who cares?

The Clintons are the shrewdest of shrewd politicians. Who the hell knows what they genuinely believe? They adapt to each situation they're placed in, and Hillary knows this sort of populist progressivism is a sound strategy for 2016.

And genuine or not, I actually do think she'll do her damndest to follow through on her campaign promises.

Perry's is the best IMO. But overall they're all pretty bad.

You can't be serious. Rick Perry's logo is atrocious. It's a toothpaste morphed with a baseball team.

Rand probably has the best logo. The flame imagery is cliched, but the use of the negative space for the torch handle is a nice little touch.

I still think Hillary's is solid. Very versatile, which will prove useful throughout the campaign.

I find it surprising that the Bush campaign doesn't appear to have a ¡Jeb! logo variation for pandering to Hispanics. It seems so obvious.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Rand probably has the best logo. The flame imagery is cliched, but the use of the negative space for the torch handle is a nice little touch.
Rand Paul's logo is so blandly corporate, the kind of signage you see in a nondescript office park.

NeoXChaos

I give in. I see the dislike. She was tone deaf last time.

BRANDON, S.D. — Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton defended staying in the Democratic nominating contest on Friday by pointing out that her husband had not wrapped up the nomination until June 1992, adding, “We all remember Bobby Kennedy was assassinated in June in California.”

I like Graham's and Carson's. Nice touch of gold. Bernie's is ok. Pataki's seems too simple, and while Chafee's appears to be technically good, his last name suffers from the same problem that his face does.

Tbh, given graham's face, his logo is by far the best. Dude lacks a chin and looks effete as heck, but that thing? Transmits a feel of having a solid foundation like a bawss.

Also pretty good speech by Hillster. Fox would throw a conniption if that came out of Bam's mouth.

I almost wonder if it's easier for a white politician to make bold statements about race than it is for a black politician. It's not like Obama has been weak on this issue but there's this horrid stereotype of an angry black man that prevents him from going too far.

I wish this weren't the case. I wish white intellectuals had the ability to listen to a black man speak on the oppression of black people without needing a white woman to back him up. But if it makes some people listen...

NeoXChaos

I almost wonder if it's easier for a white politician to make bold statements about race than it is for a black politician. It's not like Obama has been weak on this issue but there's this horrid stereotype of an angry black man that prevents him from going too far.

I wish this weren't the case. I wish white intellectuals had the ability to listen to a black man speak on the oppression of black people without needing a white woman to back him up. But if it makes some people listen...

Its sad too. I have no doubt that hillary will destroy Obama's numbers in the primary and general in Appalachia.

If Hillary was president she wouldn't say that. Plain and simple. Obama can't wade into this shit like he could when he was just a candidate.

benjipwns

Banned
Probably old news, but new to me:
Chris Rock considered hosting The Daily Show for the 2016 Election only
Snipped from a larger NYT profile on Comedy Central: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/21/magazine/comedy-central-in-the-post-tv-era.html
Comedy Central contemplated hiring several bigger stars. The network made a call to Amy Poehler, for instance, to gauge her interest. (As someone outside the company with knowledge of the exchange put it, "They were pretty much expecting her to say no, and it was the quickest no in history.") Chris Rock considered signing on, but not past Nov. 8, 2016: He wanted to cede the desk to a more permanent replacement after the next election. [Head of original programming Kent Alterman] acknowledged that Comedy Central had a lot of conversations with different people," but Noah, who had appeared several times on The Daily Show, was a favorite of Stewart's, and he won the network over. "Trevor's the only person we made an offer to," Alterman said.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Scott Walker on the confederat rlag/state capital issue:

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker declined to offer his position. "I think they're going to have a good, healthy debate — and should have a healthy debate in South Carolina amongst officials at the state level," he told reporters after a speech Saturday night in Washington. "I think out of deference, before we have that discussion, we should allow the families of the loved ones to bury their dead."

As I've said before, he has dodged every question given to him since declaring for president. Every single one. He's going to be a disaster in the primary debates.

FiggyCal

Banned
Scott Walker on the confederat rlag/state capital issue:

As I've said before, he has dodged every question given to him since declaring for president. Every single one. He's going to be a disaster in the primary debates.

He's already popular though. There's no need for him to come out and hurt himself -- kind of like what Hillary is doing.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
He's already popular though. There's no need for him to come out and hurt himself -- kind of like what Hillary is doing.

His approval rating has dropped since declaring, plus he has never been in a national primary. Jeb and others are going to destroy this guy for not answering questions.

benjipwns

Banned
Scott Walker hasn't declared for President.

Like Kasich and Christie he's in the nebulous zone regarding the difference between an actual campaign and having a PAC as sitting Governors.

Jindal's pulling the trigger this week because he's dead in all the relevant polls (national/Iowa/NH) and thus is currently outside the debate thresholds. Plus there's a governor's race this year so he's done while Christie, Kasich and Walker all have their second terms to go basically with Christie slightly ahead by a year.

As long as Walker leads Iowa and is in the top of the heap elsewhere he can hold off like Perry did in 2012. He probably shouldn't have back surgery and self-medicate though.

benjipwns

Banned
Here's a CNN piece on why the sitting Governors are holding off:
one group of presidential hopefuls is at a distinct disadvantage as they try to lure donors: Sitting governors.

These state executives -- including Chris Christie of New Jersey, Mike Pence of Indiana, Scott Walker of Wisconsin, Bobby Jindal of Louisiana and John Kasich of Ohio -- are grappling with an arcane rule that is intended to combat pay-to-play corruption, but could have broader implications.

The rule -- approved in 2010 by the Securities and Exchange Commission -- bans financial firms that do business with state and local governments from receiving state contracts for two years if employees donate more than a few hundred dollars to governors and other public officials.
The SEC hasn't offered much clarity.

"A contribution to a political party, PAC or other committee or organization would not trigger a two-year time out," reads an SEC explainer published online in 2012, "unless it is a means to do indirectly what the rule prohibits if done directly (for example, the contribution is earmarked or known to be provided for the benefit of a particular political official)."

An SEC spokesperson declined to comment on whether donating groups tied to a governor would count as a violation.

The question, then, is whether a donation to one of these groups amounts to a contribution toward the sitting governor's electoral efforts in the eyes of the SEC. For many institutions that invest a massive financial stake in their state contracts, the consequences of violating the rule is not worth the risk of finding out after the fact.

Apologies if this stuff was outlined during my hiatus to setup a Presidential exploratory committee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom