• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoXChaos

Isaac Wright ‏@Izac_Wright 4h4 hours ago
82/13 support for background checks on all gun sales among Republican primary voters in new national poll- via @ppppolls

YES

Patrick Mauro ‏@PMIA7 3h3 hours ago Hinsdale, IL
@Izac_Wright @ppppolls It does not matter if it were 100-0. NRA owns GOP.

:(

Makai

It definitely didn't work because Trump's numbers continued upward after that ad. I don't know what it is about Jeb, but I involuntarily rage every time I see him. He sucks! Even in his own advertisements! Policy preferences aside, this dude does not deserve to be president. I'm still waiting for Mitt to swoop in and save us.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
McCarthy ad lol

You can see it in his eyes he was trying to slobber up to the base with that bit about benghazi. I am surprised even a dolt like Sean Hannity did not catch it. The power of a bubble. I would not have in a million years could have predicted that the charade would be undone by their own.

I had seen his comments in transcript but not the actual footage. He definitely let the moment run away with him and couldn't help but gloat.

I wonder if this admission is going to help undermine or at least cast more doubt over other (already pretty transparent) partisan investigative committee efforts? Democrats will be able to bring it up every single time for years.

Heh, if it comes down to Trump vs Clinton, I can see an ad made up completely of Trump praising Hilary from that footage. Not sure who that would win over or if it would dissuade any conservatives from turning up to the polls, but would be hilarious.

benjipwns

Banned
I wonder if this admission is going to help undermine or at least cast more doubt over other (already pretty transparent) partisan investigative committee efforts? Democrats will be able to bring it up every single time for years.
Alternatively they could stop committing crimes requiring investigations.

watershed

Banned
So when Hillary testifies in front of the Benghazi select committee, will that be the first time a major presidential candidate will testify to congress during the election?

User 406

Banned
Isaac Wright ‏@Izac_Wright 4h4 hours ago
82/13 support for background checks on all gun sales among Republican primary voters in new national poll- via @ppppolls

YES

Patrick Mauro ‏@PMIA7 3h3 hours ago Hinsdale, IL
@Izac_Wright @ppppolls It does not matter if it were 100-0. NRA owns GOP.

:(

I guess the mass shooting that will finally convince us to enact gun control legislation will be the one that happens in the NRA boardroom.

A bunch of little white kids were shot to pieces in Newtown and nothing changed. If that doesn't prove nothing will be done on guns, I don't know what will convince you. All these Obams lectures on guns fall flat to me. It's high time to admit nothing will be done due to cowardice from republicans and the apathy of the American public, who would rather hand wring over the issue in the aftermath of a shooting only to move on to the latest media story two weeks later. That's where the failure lies.

I can't be mad at all of the apathy though. There are more important issues to vote on. Gun control won't stop many of these killings - it certainly wouldn't have stopped the Oregon killing since the guy wasn't diagnosed with a mental illness nor did he have a criminal record.

Ultimately I'd rather see illegal gun trafficking and straw purchases addressed. Most gun violence in this country revolves around that, not legally purchased guns. Something is wrong when a kid can buy an illegal gun in Chicago for $50. In terms of school shootings it's time to follow the lead of inner city schools and introduce metal detectors and lock doors at entries so people can't just waltz in. If white suburban parents want to continue rejecting that because poor little Jimmy might feel like a criminal that's not my problem.

benjipwns

Banned
Obama's lecture was worth it to see the media running out to compare terrorism deaths with gun deaths for him. Hopefully this is the start of his personal quest dismantling the unnecessary national security apparatus. And ending the murdering of innocents abroad.

The only thing that will end gun violence is the repeal of the second amendment and a subsequent buyback program.

I do think that the second amendment will eventually be repealed, but I don't see it happening in my lifetime.

Cheebo

Banned
Wow. Well this makes it seem more likely Joe will get in. I never imagined the leak would have ever came from himself.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/joe-biden-beau-2016-214459
Joe Biden has been making his 2016 deliberations all about his late son since August.

Aug. 1, to be exact — the day renowned Hillary Clinton-critic Maureen Dowd published a column that marked a turning point in the presidential speculation.

According to multiple sources, it was Biden himself who talked to her, painting a tragic portrait of a dying son, Beau’s face partially paralyzed, sitting his father down and trying to make him promise to run for president because "the White House should not revert to the Clintons and that the country would be better off with Biden values.”

benjipwns

Banned
Gun buyback programs are spectacular failures. I don't think there's been a single public policy study that's shown it to be effective. And that's with a lot of them being people wishing they would find results.

Especially in the United States now that gun people are flocking to them to outbid the state's offers and buying them instead. Especially with people who don't understand what they're selling.

Forced seizure and regular searches is the only way to go to pretend you're preventing gun ownership outside the elite classes.

Meanwhile, easy things like criminal justice and policing reforms, drug rescheduling, firing everyone in the DEA, etc. let's ignore that. We should definitely focus on trying to repeal the 2nd Amendment or get the courts to gut it further.

Gun "debate" is like abortion. And welfare and immigration. The symptoms are confused for the problems and then people just want to cover up the symptoms best they can and consider the problem solved.

Thankfully, we'll soon have Trump to handle our problems and our symptoms for us.

the most obvious solution to the gun debate is a nuclear holocaust

which also happens to be the most obvious solution to every other issue, up to and including "we haven't had a nuclear holocaust"

benjipwns

Banned
the most obvious solution to the gun debate is a nuclear holocaust

which also happens to be the most obvious solution to every other issue, up to and including "we haven't had a nuclear holocaust"
Typical Big-Nuclear-Holocaust propaganda. It's like we can't even talk about a microwave satellite holocaust without these old talking points coming up.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Gun buyback programs are spectacular failures. I don't think there's been a single public policy study that's shown it to be effective. And that's with a lot of them being people wishing they would find results.

Especially in the United States now that gun people are flocking to them to outbid the state's offers and buying them instead. Especially with people who don't understand what they're selling.

Forced seizure and regular searches is the only way to go to pretend you're preventing gun ownership outside the elite classes.

Meanwhile, easy things like criminal justice and policing reforms, drug rescheduling, firing everyone in the DEA, etc. let's ignore that. We should definitely focus on trying to repeal the 2nd Amendment or get the courts to gut it further.

Gun "debate" is like abortion. And welfare and immigration. The symptoms are confused for the problems and then people just want to cover up the symptoms best they can and consider the problem solved.

Thankfully, we'll soon have Trump to handle our problems and our symptoms for us.

There were plenty of studies that showed Australia's mandatory gun buyback program to be effective - particularly in reducing suicides.

EDIT: In case my prior post on the subject wasn't sufficiently clear, I was indeed proposing a mandatory buyback program following a repeal of the second amendment - not a voluntary one.

Fwiw, in brasil homicides grew at a slower rate after we passed more restrictive gun legislation. A buyback program was part of it, along with a truckload of other measures. Selling your arms wasn't mandatory, but you did have to register them, and renewing your registry 5 years down the line requires subjecting yourself to a weapons handling test and a psych eval.

1431545595_563619_1431556474_sumario_grande.jpg

green is projected, following the previous trend of about a 7.8% increase in homicides per year. law was passed in 2003. #itssomething

HRC ripping some dimbulb Reps to pieces would be amazing to see. She just can't be too mean or it feed into her negative image.

I honestly don't think people will care much if Hillary seems mean.

I think a lot of people would rather see her being bold and aggressive than see this warm-and-fuzzy grandma stuff that she's been playing since her campaign launched.

The former suits her. The latter does not.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So you think they'd prefer this Hillary..

.. over this Hillary?

Exactly. Despite what people may say, they prefer honesty and enthusiasm. If that shines through with Hillary when she's on the back foot, striking back at her enemies, then that's what people will respond to. It's why Bernie and Trump are doing well, it's the secret to Biden's popularity among Democrats and why everyone loves "no fucks left to give" Obama the best.

Wow. Well this makes it seem more likely Joe will get in. I never imagined the leak would have ever came from himself.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/joe-biden-beau-2016-214459
I thought it was widely thought/known that Biden himself, or at the very least someone very close to him, was the source and Dowd served a useful trial balloon given her weird obsession with Hillary. Who else would have known what words Beau Biden and his father exchanged on the former's deathbed.

benjipwns

Banned
I thought it was widely thought/known that Biden himself, or at the very least someone very close to him, was the source and Dowd served a useful trial balloon given her weird obsession with Hillary. Who else would have known what words Beau Biden and his father exchanged on the former's deathbed.
God.

And Trump.

noshten

So is Biden going to be announcing his decision after the debate?
Hillary is going to have to invest more in the south in such a case -- unless she wants to lose ground where she is strongest.

Teggy

I honestly don't know who I would choose between Biden and Hillary. I'd like to see the first female president, but then again, my first priority is a Democratic win in the general. I don't think think there is any scenario where Massachusetts chooses the nominee, anyway so it will most likely be out of my control unless I'm going to actively campaign (which I won't).

Cheebo

Banned

I would imagine it was someone close to him on his staff that he told the story to who was trying to nudge him into running when the story was first run.

The fact he himself contacted Dowd to say "my dying son wants me to run for President" makes it seem far far more likely he will get in, otherwise why bring that story to the national media himself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom