• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/ben-carson-slam-obama-oregon-shooting-visit-214464

E0uU2cS.jpg

What a moron. Victim blaming at its finest.

"Well, I would have been more aggressive!" Shut your idiot mouth.

Also, he slams Obama for visiting the victims' families? What a jackass.

benjipwns

Banned
DISSENT ON ISRAEL NOT PERMITTED AT BERNIE SANDERS EVENT
In 2004, while President George W. Bush was running for re-election, he developed a sinister reputation for aggressively banishing political dissent from his events. Bush “rewrote the playbook for organizing campaign rallies,” USA Today declared, ejecting from them people who scrawled anti-war messages on signs and shirts. The ACLU sued and successfully settled with the federal government over one couple’s thwarted attempts to wear anti-Bush t-shirts to a 2004 rally. One political science professor even compared Bush to Richard Nixon over the suppressive behavior at these events.

Fast forward to 2015, this past Saturday, when Bernie Sanders, an increasingly viable contender for the Democratic presidential nomination, held one of his biggest campaign rallies to date, drawing more than 20,000 people to an event at the Boston convention center. Among those visitors were a number of young activists from Boston Students for Justice in Palestine, who were curious about Sanders’ position on the occupied territories. They had a sign with them; in a playful nod to one of Sanders’ campaign slogans, it simply asked, “Will Ya Feel The Bern For Palestine?” The activists say they were well-received by other Sanders supporters in the crowd.

But staffers working for a candidate widely viewed as one of the most progressive members of the Senate were apparently not happy. Security was made aware of a threat: Some students who support Sanders were holding a sign with a question on it. A tactic right out of the Bush campaign “playbook” went into action.

“They told us to either put the sign away or leave,” said Sana Hashmani, one of the student activists. “We asked why, and they said that Bernie’s campaign staff had said the sign had to go.”

There had been no signs of trouble previously. The pro-Palestine group was doing nothing unusual — except, perhaps, for daring to question Sanders about territories occupied by Israel, of which Sanders has been a not-entirely-progressive supporter. “When we got there and entered the overflow space with our sign, people were supporting us and taking pictures, and other people had signs talking about various social issues as well,” Hashmani said.

In a brief cell phone video of the incident, security staff can be seen threatening to arrest the students if they didn’t leave the premises.

But the ejection of pro-Palestine students from the Sanders rally surfaced a bigger question with a potentially more disturbing answer: Can this candidate, beloved by the left wing, learn to cope more tolerantly with protest and dissent?

Already, Sanders has been criticized for his handling of Black Lives Matter protesters at his events. Boston Students for Justice in Palestine are also worried about a tendency to marginalize, rather than engage, critics.

“What concerns us most,” read a post about the incident on the group’s Facebook page, “about being unwelcome in this political space on the basis of a sign is not what is says about Bernie’s stance on Palestine, but rather, his team’s refusal to entertain diverse viewpoints. Is this how Bernie is going to answer those, supporters and non-supporters alike, who ask challenging questions about his views? Just silencing them?”

In recent months, Sanders has been transformed from an obscure candidate into a potent challenger to Hillary Clinton. This effort has come in large part due to a committed progressive base, who contribute not just by attending Sanders rallies but financially, with small individual donations that have become a tidal wave, helping the candidate stay competitive. For this young base, the suggestion that his campaign is unreceptive to their views, perhaps even willing to silence them, is particularly dispiriting.

“The way they reacted to us trying to bring up this issue was very aggressive,” said Jose Godoy, one of the students ejected from the event. “They singled us out, and didn’t seem to want this issue to be brought up at all.”

That view was echoed by Ibrahim Sumaira, who said, “We look up to Bernie Sanders on a lot of issues, but we don’t want the same thing to happen where we believed that Barack Obama would meaningfully change foreign policy and nothing of that sort ended up occurring.”
needs a thread imho

User1608

Banned
Definitely happy with Hillary lately. I've always liked her but as a young adult I admire her even if I disagree with her on some things. I'm glad this faux outrage over Benghazi is already beginning to backfire and will hopefully burn the GOP next year even further.

noshten

Jeff Weaver, Sanders’s campaign manager, said Monday that the instructions to take down the pro-Palestine sign came from a “rogue” low-level campaign employee.

“That person has been excluded from working on any of our future events,” Weaver said, adding that the campaign had apologized to the student group.

Sanders, who has been largely supportive of Israel and would be the United State’s first Jewish president if elected, has long advocated for a two-state solution to the Israel-Palestine conflict.

Saturday night’s rally in Boston was one of the largest of Sanders’s presidential campaign, which is mounting a serious threat to that of Hillary Rodham Clinton.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...pro-palestine-activists-outside-boston-rally/

Biden and Hillary on TPP

— Joe Biden’s job as vice president requires him to be a cheerleader for the agreement. He will stress its protections for workers and the environment, along with enforceability provisions that allow the U.S. to punish countries that don’t follow them. He can also note that the administration was initially reluctant to engage and held out for the best possible deal.

— Hillary has lurched to the left on trade since running for president, and she could seize on TPP as a wedge if Biden decides to run. Obama was to Hillary’s left on trade in 2008, but he became more pragmatic after taking office. In mid-June, Hillary announced that she would have voted against giving Obama fast-track authority. “I will judge what’s in the final agreement, but I hope that it can be made better,” Clinton said at the time.

But she still lives in a glass house on this issue. Labor remains skeptical of the Clintons over Bill shepherding NAFTA to passage over vocal opposition. As secretary of state, Hillary consistently expressed strong support for the negotiations, leaving her open to attacks of flip-flopping.

Expect Clinton to give a nuanced non-answer during her appearances in New Hampshire today, saying she needs time to study the substance of the final deal.

— Bigger picture: As Biden looks increasingly serious about taking her on, Clinton is more willing to publicly distance herself from the Obama administration. Just last week, Hillary publicly broke with Obama in both backing a Syria no-fly zone and calling for the end of the “Cadillac tax” on high-end health plans, a critical pay-for that not coincidentally is opposed by labor unions. The week before, Clinton came out against the Keystone XL Pipeline despite expressing earlier support and pledging to stay neutral while the administration completed its review.

If Biden runs, he will have a much harder time putting any daylight between himself and the president than Clinton. And he would not want to. His path to victory would require galvanizing the Obama coalition. But Hillary can use distance with Obama on issues where he is at odds with the base to implicitly, and maybe later explicitly, contrast herself with the vice president.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ng-today-will-hillary-again-break-with-obama/

teiresias

Even though I mainly just read Poligaf rather than post, are you seriously replying to a post from the OT Bernie thread in here? I think it's fine for news stories to becomes threads organically, but I don't want to see Poligaf affected because some meta-trolling game spills over into OT constantly with people snickering about it behind the scenes in here, and then having the conversation bounce between the two.

benjipwns

Banned
Even though I mainly just read Poligaf rather than post, are you seriously replying to a post from the OT Bernie thread in here? I think it's fine for news stories to becomes threads organically, but I don't want to see Poligaf affected because some meta-trolling game spills over into OT constantly with people snickering about it behind the scenes in here, and then having the conversation bounce between the two.
Too late, there's already been enough butthurt Pro-Hillary jackbooted thugs in here whining about Pro-America Bernie Sanders supporters in other threads destroying all their weak talking points.

benjipwns

Banned
Code:
Iowa: Trump vs. Clinton	NBC/WSJ/Marist	Trump 48, Clinton 41	Trump +7
Iowa: Bush vs. Clinton	NBC/WSJ/Marist	Bush 50, Clinton 40	Bush +10
Iowa: Fiorina vs. Clinton	NBC/WSJ/Marist	Fiorina 52, Clinton 38	Fiorina +14

Iowa: Trump vs. Sanders	NBC/WSJ/Marist	Sanders 48, Trump 43	Sanders +5
Iowa: Bush vs. Sanders	NBC/WSJ/Marist	Bush 46, Sanders 44	Bush +2
Iowa: Fiorina vs. Sanders	NBC/WSJ/Marist	Fiorina 45, Sanders 42	Fiorina +3

New Hampshire: Trump vs. Clinton	NBC/WSJ/Marist	Clinton 48, Trump 45	Clinton +3
New Hampshire: Bush vs. Clinton	NBC/WSJ/Marist	Bush 49, Clinton 42	Bush +7
New Hampshire: Fiorina vs. Clinton	NBC/WSJ/Marist	Fiorina 50, Clinton 42	Fiorina +8

New Hampshire: Trump vs. Sanders	NBC/WSJ/Marist	Sanders 52, Trump 42	Sanders +10
New Hampshire: Bush vs. Sanders	NBC/WSJ/Marist	Sanders 46, Bush 46	Tie
New Hampshire: Fiorina vs. Sanders	NBC/WSJ/Marist	Sanders 47, Fiorina 45	Sanders +2

Yep, time for Joe to step in and take her out.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Code:

New Hampshire: Fiorina vs. Clinton	NBC/WSJ/Marist	Fiorina 50, Clinton 42	Fiorina +8

New Hampshire: Trump vs. Sanders	NBC/WSJ/Marist	Sanders 52, Trump 42	Sanders +10
New Hampshire: Fiorina vs. Sanders	NBC/WSJ/Marist	Sanders 47, Fiorina 45	Sanders +2

She energizes nobody. I think she'll have a great chance of losing the general election.

Wow. Well this makes it seem more likely Joe will get in. I never imagined the leak would have ever came from himself.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/joe-biden-beau-2016-214459

Really don't like the use of the word "leak" here. Biden telling Dowd this information doesn't strike me as the cynical, John Edwards-esque thing it's being made out to be. We don't know whether this was Biden talking with Dowd for a story of hers, and him giving her the info off hand. Given his typical behavior, him giving info to people isn't particularly shocking.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Really don't like the use of the word "leak" here. Biden telling Dowd this information doesn't strike me as the cynical, John Edwards-esque thing it's being made out to be. We don't know whether this was Biden talking with Dowd for a story of hers, and him giving her the info off hand. Given his typical behavior, him giving info to people isn't particularly shocking.

For real, Biden is the sort of guy who talks to people about shit in his life. If he didn't tell her he would have told someone else.

Yes I'm salty no one took my biden bet
It would have only been for two weeks you yellow belly clinton bootlickers
Being down 3-6 points is one thing, but higher than that? I really think she's damaged goods now.
She isn't over by a longshot. This is all surmountable by being more earnest and authentic. Those are her biggest weaknesses with voters and it is way too early to discount her because of a few grimy polls.
Look at me doing neo's job for him
The state would never appoint someone that unqualified.
Poligaf has now come to this; trolls trolling trolls

Bernie clearly stated his position on the Israel / Palestine question in the Q & A following his speech on September 28th, at The University of Chicago - Institute Of Politics, where he was a student and led the university's first ever civil rights sit in, to protest the segregation of student housing:

Israel has the right to peace and security. The Palestinians are entitled to a state of their own with full economic and political power.

The literally huge news, coming from Bernie's recent Boston rally, was that he completely decimated the previous attendance record, for a democratic primary rally, of 10k, set by Barack Obama, back in 2008, with well over double the number of attendees, at around 24/25k! :).

Code:

Being down 3-6 points is one thing, but higher than that? I really think she's damaged goods now.

Daniel B·;180878236 said:
Bernie clearly stated his position on the Israel / Palestine question in the Q & A following his speech on September 28th, at The University of Chicago - Institute Of Politics, where he was a student and led the university's first ever civil rights sit in, to protest the segregation of student housing:

The literally huge news, coming from Bernie's recent Boston rally, was that he completely decimated the previous attendance record, for a democratic primary rally, of 10k, set by Barack Obama, back in 2008, with well over double the number of attendees, at around 24/25k! :).

The desperation to picture Sanders as less progressive than her at least in one stance is really amusing.

benjipwns

Banned
The desperation to picture Sanders as less progressive than her at least in one stance is really amusing.
One stance? He's a right-wing fanatic on guns, he agrees with Pat Buchanan on trade, he doesn't care about black people, did nothing to stop this flooding, he's never even had anyone murdered that we know of...

Area Man with no connection to reality posts on Facebook:

In one of his signature Facebook Q&As Monday night, Ben Carson again weighed in on the Oregon shooting, writing that he had operated on victims of gun violence "but I never saw a body with bullet holes that was more devastating than taking the right to arm ourselves away."

In a separate interview with USA Today released Tuesday, Carson suggested that, if he had a child in kindergarten, he would want school security guards - and even possibly that child's teacher - to be armed.

"If the teacher was trained in the use of that weapon and had access to it, I would be much more comfortable if they had one than if they didn't," he said.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/201...rights-more-devastating-bullet-wounds-n439251

Somehow I don't think that's the deal most campaign staffers sign up for.

Well, if she wins the Republican nomination, they'll get paid, so that's all those losers have to do. Winners get paid, losers that can't save doomed political campaigns while having cancer do not get paid. It's common-sense.

dramatis

Less progressive than who? Nobody talked about 'her'. lol

The focus was on his campaign doing something objectionable. If we trod on Carson, Jeb, Trump, Fiorina, Hillary, and everybody else for questionable bits and pieces, Bernie is fair game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom