• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
While Hillary was called a bitch by Newt Gingrich's mom on national television.

To this day, we still mention this moment frequently in our household..

Connie Chung's "just between you and me" moment with Newt Gingrich's mother on 60 Minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vecw539MjWM

===

And I still wonder if Hillary's ceiling in the general is a bit higher than the others', simply due to the gender gap potential. If she somehow catches a big wave among women, it could roll downhill to benefit House & Senate races. Despite being the "moderate" in the race, she (ironically enough) might have the best potential for pushing Congress to the left.

- He has no presence; would get absolutely smashed by someone like Trump in a debate

- He was not that great on stage; tried to force green energy into every topic

- Terrible speaker; not enough political experience and skill to stand out in a debate. This is the opposite of Obama who did not have the political experience in 2008, but had excellent stage presence and was an excellent debater.

Thanks, although I wouldn't call Obama an excellent debater. He struggled vs. Hillary quite often (and famously lost his first debate against Romney in 2012).

Quite frankly, Biden would be my guy since I think he would be even less of a liability in the general than Hill (Benghazi, Email, "establishment", Wall Street ties)

I'd rank it like this with Biden in terms of how he would perform in a general:

Biden > Hill >>>> Sanders >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> O'Malley​

His smackdown of Paul Ryan and Sarah Palin in the debates is the stuff of legends. He would absolutely crush Trump, Cruz, or Rubio in a debate.
I agree, I'd be all about Biden if he ran.

I saw him live in 2008 and he was quite a thing to see. Zero notes, no real prepared speech, just talking shit on Republicans while keeping hope alive and being extremely positive about the future. He was hilarious, too.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
To this day, we still mention this moment frequently in our household..

Connie Chung's "just between you and me" moment with Newt Gingrich's mother on 60 Minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vecw539MjWM

===

And I still wonder if Hillary's ceiling in the general is a bit higher than the others', simply due to the gender gap potential. If she somehow catches a big wave among women, it could roll downhill to benefit House & Senate races. Despite being the "moderate" in the race, she (ironically enough) might have the best potential for pushing Congress to the left.

This spawned one of the funniest SNL sketches ever.

HylianTom

Banned
This spawned one of the funniest SNL sketches ever.

YESSSS! http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/connie-chung/2860995

I swear, if she's the nominee, NBC could run just an hour-special of political sketches from the 1990s.
(I want to see Janet Reno's Dance Party again)
tumblr_ni0xv2FGSk1tllkl6o1_500.gif

Makai

It's actually a little weird it's taken this long for a woman to have a shot at the presidency since women are the majority of the electorate. Maybe that's a recent development, I dunno.

It's actually a little weird it's taken this long for a woman to have a shot at the presidency since women are the majority of the electorate. Maybe that's a recent development, I dunno.
Huh? You're really shocked that women don't have equal opportunities?

We still have people saying a woman cannot be president of the United States because of their emotions. Heck, we just had a thread about a rapper saying he cannot vote for Hillary because women are unpredictable with their emotions. I hate gender stereotypes, I am a man and I have emotions as well.

Hillary should keep biden as vp. Not joking

Obama would be better for the laughs. I'd like Biden but wouldn't other possible candidates be a better choice electorally? I don't necessarily mean Sanders, O'Malley, Webb, or Chaffe.

Obama for supreme court justice. just kidding.

It's really irritating how Hillary seems barely aware of the fact that the majority of bad student loan debt is held by non-traditional students who are already working. They were trying to advance in the world, and they enrolled at online college and community colleges (because those were the only ones that could fit in their schedule) and got jackshit out of it. Hillary's plan of ten hours a week is impossible for those that struggle the most from student debt.

Makai

We still have people saying a woman cannot be president of the United States because of their emotions. Heck, we just had a thread about a rapper saying he cannot vote for Hillary because women are unpredictable with their emotions. I hate gender stereotypes, I am a man and I have emotions as well.
Those people are mostly men, right? If women voted as more of a bloc, it should be easy enough to get a coalition behind a woman. Granted, conservative women aren't voting for a liberal and vice versa, but I don't see why they can't stick together and mop up the primaries.

teiresias

Those people are mostly men, right? If women voted as more of a bloc, it should be easy enough to get a coalition behind a woman. Granted, conservative women aren't voting for a liberal and vice versa, but I don't see why they can't stick together and mop up the primaries.

You also have to have women at that level in politics. I mean, let's not forget that there's only been women in Congress since about a century ago, then that number didn't break double digits until the 40s and then we didn't break 20 females in Congress until the 60s. Like race, it's all systemic problems going back decades that are more difficult to address than just the numbers of a said group that are available to vote.

So I hope the Bernie Obama comparisons end today. Obama walloped Clinton in the debates, and she never gained her footing again. Bernie is not really interested to be the President. He just wants to bring awareness to the inequality.

dramatis

Great way to put words in my mouth. The female population has been roughly equivalent with males. The black population has been and continues to be a significant minority clocking in around 12% of the population(maybe more or less in the past). Not even two comparable things but you went there and tried to compare it anyways while trying to smear me in the process. Get a life.
Oh yes, because men and women are equal in population, they are surely equal in opportunities.

The only one making you look like a fool is yourself.

thefro

So I hope the Bernie Obama comparisons end today. Obama walloped Clinton in the debates, and she never gained her footing again. Bernie is not really interested to be the President. He just wants to bring awareness to the inequality.

I remember Obama being disappointing in his first debate and then getting better later on in the primaries. He won some debates against Clinton but it was generally pretty even.

teiresias

Oh lord, the Bernies are going to go crazy over the latest CNN.com headline:

"Clinton triumphs in Democrat debate as rivals compete to lose"

benjipwns

Banned
The surprisingly entertaining first Democratic debate, explained by Matthew Yglesias
Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton’s debate over capitalism, explained by Ezra Klein
Bernie Sanders and guns, explained by German Lopez
The 2015 Nobel Prize for Economics winner, Angus Deaton, explained by Matthew Yglesias
Vox's Method of Headlining their Explanatory Journalism, explained by benjipwns

You just put what your article is about and then write ", explained" at the end.

[insert card stack here]

benjipwns

Banned
Dead rodent ends up in Subway sandwich in Lincoln City, explained
People who got spinach on their sandwich or salad at a Subway restaurant in Lincoln City earlier this month may have unknowingly eaten food tainted by a dead rodent.

But the state health department said it didn’t put anyone in danger of getting sick.

“They [health inspectors] consulted with physicians and we followed their advice that, although it is not very appetizing, the risk of someone becoming sick due to eating lettuce with those particular circumstances were very low,” explained Cheryl Connell, Dir. Of Lincoln County Health and Human Services.

The dead rodent ended up in customer Jay Armstead's lunch. But he said thankfully, it got noticed before he was served his sandwich or took a bite out of it.

"It was unfortunate I was the lucky recipient," Armstead told KGW. "It was wet and dead. His tail was curled up and you could see his two front teeth."

Matt Jones saw the dead animal in his friend Jay’s sandwich and snapped a photo.

“It’s the funniest thing I’ve ever seen, but it’s also the most disgusting thing I’ve ever seen,” Jones said, recalling his initial reaction. “I laughed because I was like, there is no way this just happened.”

The incident happened on Tuesday, October 6, just before 2 p.m., in the Subway located at 4648 US Highway 101 in Lincoln City.

Jones said the employee made his teriyaki chicken sandwich (complete with a splash of spinach) and then started working on his friend Jay’s Italian sub.

Apparently Jay wanted some spinach, too. So the employee scraped the last spoonful out of the bin and plopped it onto the bread.

“I got my drink, turned around and they were in shock like something happened,” Jones said. “There was a mouse in there. It was gross.”
The county health department was immediately notified and “arrived promptly” to conduct an investigation, Connell said.

The inspector studied the dead rodent, the bin it came from and also searched the entire restaurant for any sign of contamination or droppings.

“The investigation determined that the rodent problem did not come from inside the facility. It was probably in a bag of the bagged spinach product, not from the facility itself,” Connell said. “Everything was sanitized and cleaned properly afterwards.”

That article has Matt Walsh complaining that the Democrats didn't cheer enough when Jim Webb bragged about killing a dude.

I mean, I would have bragged about that too if I was as brave as Senator Webb, but I don't think Jesus ever said: "And make sure to gloat about your sweet kills." Seems a bit not Christian for someone to be mad about others disliking killing.

I'm sure Supply Side Jesus had some statement about that though.

Oh yes, because men and women are equal in population, they are surely equal in opportunities.

The only one making you look like a fool is yourself.

Everybody plays the fool, sometimes. There's no exception to the rule.

Will you ever admit you play the fool? Probably not, hence you playing the fool. BERNED!

benjipwns

Banned
The Death-Penalty Feud at the Supreme Court

Last week, Governor Mary Fallin of Oklahoma admitted that her state had misled the United States Supreme Court.

In a brief statement issued hours before the scheduled execution of Richard Glossip, Fallin said that she was granting him a 37-day stay “due to the Department of Corrections having received potassium acetate as drug number three for the three-drug protocol.” The state last spring assured the Supreme Court that it stood ready to execute Glossip with a three-drug cocktail consisting of “midazolam, followed by vecuronium or recuronium bromide, then potassium chloride” a different drug with different effects. Glossip had challenged his planned execution on the grounds that the use of midazolam, a sedative, might not render him unconscious before the other two drugs are administered. That, he said, would make the execution “cruel and unusual” punishment, in violation of the Eighth Amendment. “Oklahoma’s lethal injection protocol is not cruel and unusual,” the state argued, “but rather the most humane form of execution available to the State.”

A five-justice majority upheld the three-drug protocol Oklahoma said it was going to use. “We are not persuaded,” that the drugs at issue were likely to cause enough pain to render the execution “cruel and unusual,” Justice Samuel Alito wrote for the majority. After all, “12 other executions have been conducted using the three-drug protocol at issue here, and those appear to have been conducted without any significant problems.”

Or maybe not so much. When the state told the Court about its “humane” procedures, it didn’t even know what three drugs it had on hand. Shortly before Glossip’s scheduled execution, in fact, Fallin learned that an autopsy showed Oklahoma had already used the wrong drug to execute another condemned inmate, Charles Warner, in January. Warner was originally a petitioner in Glossip’s case. The Supreme Court denied him a stay, then accepted the case after Warner had been killed.

Justice Stephen Breyer, in a separate opinion for himself and Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, announced in Glossip that, in his view, the death penalty could no longer be administered fairly, and thus was unconstitutional. That didn’t sit well with Justice Antonin Scalia, who wrote in a separate opinion that Breyer’s “argument is full of internal contradictions and (it must be said) gobbledy-gook.”

A week after Fallin’s revelation, the Court heard the first of the four death-penalty cases it has granted this term. The hard feelings in Glossip have apparently not healed.
Soon after argument began in Kansas v. Gleason on October 7, Scalia used his best tell-frogface-to-pass-the-salt voice to ask Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt whether “Kansans, unlike our Justice Breyer, do not think the death penalty is unconstitutional and indeed very much favor it.” For that reason, he suggested (“I’m just speculating of course”) that the Kansas Supreme Court had actually lied by claiming that that the Eighth Amendment, rather than their own squishy liberal prejudices, required granting the defendants a new sentencing. Alito seemed to agree: “[P]resumably, the Kansas Supreme Court understood that it had the capability of basing its decision on Kansas law. But if it did that, it would have to take responsibility for the decisions in these cases, which involve some of the most horrendous murders that I have seen in my 10 years here.” The Kansas court, however, “didn't take responsibility for that. It said ‘it's the Eighth Amendment, and we have to apply the federal Constitution.’”
After Hurst, the Court in November will hear Foster v. Chatman, which tests the Court’s requirement that all juries—in capital and non-capital cases—be selected without racial discrimination. That rule was announced three decades ago, in a case called Batson v. Kentucky. Under Batson, no party can use race as a basis for “peremptory strikes”—decisions by one side or other to exclude a potential juror. Ordinarily a lawyer need give no reason for a “peremptory”—it can be based on a gut feeling or a dislike of the social characteristics of a member of the pool. If the other party points to a racial pattern of “peremptories,” however, a court is supposed to hold a hearing at which the side using the strikes must explain a “neutral” reason for the strike.

The scandal of Batson is that courts tolerate the flimsiest explanations for seemingly clear use of race by prosecutors. A minority juror may be too old, too young, over- or under-educated, a former crime victim, or a former criminal defendant; almost anything will do.

Foster, however, seems to involve as smoky a gun as will ever be found. Tyrone Foster, an African American, was convicted in 1987 of capital murder for killing Queen Madge White, a white 79-year-old, as part of a burglary in Rome, Georgia. The prosecution had used its strikes to eliminate all four black potential jurors; when challenged, the state’s lawyers offered neutral explanations, and a Georgia trial court accepted them. In closing, the prosecution argued that the jury should order Foster put to death in order to “deter other people out there in the projects.”

Seventeen years later, Foster’s lawyers won the right to inspect the prosecution’s notes—and what they found indicated that the “neutral” explanations were a sham. The word BLACK on each black juror’s form was circled; they were coded “B1,” “B2,” etc., and highlighted in green. One investigator wrote on the forms that “f it comes down to having to pick one of the black jurors, Ms. Garrett, might be okay.”

In 2013, a Georgia trial court rejected the Batson claim. “[T]he notes and records submitted by Petitioner fail to demonstrate purposeful discrimination,” wrote the (elected) judge. That result shocks the conscience; true, the prosecution did not write on the forms “MAKE SURE TO EXCLUDE THESE JURORS BECAUSE THEY ARE B-L-A-C-K AND LET’S NOT WORRY ABOUT VIOLATING B-A-T-S-O-N,” but the notes show everything short of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom