• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really cool to see ErasureAcer embrace the obvious misogyny that underlies his hatred of Hillary.

STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A WOMAN YOU WOMAN

That's not even the case but it's no shock you're spinning it that way.

Anderson Cooper: Hillary Clinton how would you be different than President Obama?
HC: I'm a woman.

Yeah, real fucking informative. Thanks a lot Hillary. You did not win the fucking debate.

What can the party do that they aren't already doing short of vote-counting fraud?
People aren't going to vote for trump.

I don't care how long he's been on top of polls. No one has voted for him ever. I don't believe they will.

We've seen time after time republicans change to care about electability come voting time.

That's not even the case but it's no shock you're spinning it that way.

Anderson Cooper: Hillary Clinton how would you be different than President Obama?
HC: I'm a woman.

Yeah, real fucking informative. Thanks a lot Hillary. You did not win the fucking debate.

It's not hard to "spin" it that way because it's pretty damn obvious. To everyone but you, that is.

Have you ever stopped to consider that Bernie Sanders would probably be thoroughly embarrassed to have a hateful lunatic like yourself as a supporter? You claim to support this man yet embody little of what he stands for. You're just really fucking awful.

People aren't going to vote for trump.

I don't care how long he's been on top of polls. No one has voted for him ever. I don't believe they will.

We've seen time after time republicans change to care about electability come voting time.

Trump might be the most electable guy, though, for them. Other than Rubio.

edit: FWIW, the Hillary answer was that she's not different than Obama, really. Which is a good thing, because this country would vote for a 3rd Obama Presidency. Al Gore tried to pretend he wasn't Clinton and lost as a result.

dramatis

When I was skimming through the Dem debate during the stream, I was watching Melkr have a meltdown during the first 30 minutes.

To be honest Melkr there's still more debates. Granted there's diminishing returns and this debate pretty much sealed Biden away, but there's still a bit of hope.

latest

Meanwhile, this should be verrrrrry interesting..

I wonder what Castro's political path will be going forward. I know a lot of people think he's going to be VP but the jump from Mayor to HUD Secretary to the vice presidency seems a bit crazy to me. And Texas doesn't seem to be going competitive for statewide races anytime soon.

NeoXChaos

I wonder what Castro's political path will be going forward. I know a lot of people think he's going to be VP but the jump from Mayor to HUD Secretary to the vice presidency seems a bit crazy to me. And Texas doesn't seem to be going competitive for statewide races anytime soon.

Hillary will probably ask him to stay at HUD if he is not the VP. We go from Diamond Joe to possibly Diamond Julian or Diamond Tim.

Odds of Texas government being a possible pickup 9 years down the line would be above nil?

I feel like it would be about fifteen to twenty years before Texas comes in play. Ten years from now, I can see it being similar to Arizona and Georgia; only leaning red instead of solid red.

Castro's name is bandied about a lot.

And he's roundly dismissed in some of the chats I've had with people following this. Looking a bit into his background, rightfully so.

The Mayor of San Antonio is apparently essentially purely ceremonial.
And by 2016, he'll have had two years running HUD.
He comes from a state that isn't remotely in play.

It seems to entirely centre on him being Latino and relatively young. So he'd be Hillary's equivalent to a symbolic Palin style running mate?

Makai

And he's roundly dismissed in some of the chats I've had with people following this. Looking a bit into his background, rightfully so.

It seems to entirely centre on him being Latino and relatively young. So he'd be Hillary's equivalent to a symbolic Palin style running mate?
I was thinking the same thing earlier. I think Hillary's choice for VP is obvious:
Barack Hussein Obama. No rule against it.

ok, since this has popped up several times:

what were the actual demographics of the debate focus groups?
From a quick google.

Fusion panel was specifically 18-34 year olds. One black man and one black woman. 50/50 on gender. And I think one Hispanic guy.

From a quick look at the CNN panel, wider age distribution, still mostly white. About 50/50 gender.

I could be off on these, as it was just quick visual identification.

I didn't bother to look up who Luntz picked for Fox.

I'd imagine that if Trump does well in the early states, the establishment will aggressively move to select one candidate and bet the farm on him. Massive money, endorsements, media, etc. Right now it seems like Rubio is that guy. The winner take all format should help the establishment candidate capture many delegates.

Most delegates are state/district level politicians. Trump being the nominee would likely result in a nationwide annihilation of the republican party, meaning it would be in many delegates' best interest for him not to win. I don't think it would be hard for the GOP to convince his pledged delegates to switch their vote at the convention. Likewise any delegates won by other candidates would likely side with whoever the remaining establishment candidate is.

Trump would likely retaliate by running for third party, but ultimately that wouldn't be nearly as bad of a result as Trump being the party's nominee. The GOP would lose if Trump ran as a third party...but it wouldn't be a state wide massacre (they'd keep the house, likely senate, etc).
The establishment lost control of the party long time ago. Look at the Congress. It's a microcosm of what's about to happen in the country. If they pull anything close to what you just described, that would destroy the party worse than anything imaginable. You are risking everything including alienating the primary voterbase (which has delivered the Congress to GOP time and again) by betting the entire farm on a scab like Rubio who will get buried by Hillary in few months. If they are smart, they will let Trump become the nominee and lose to Hillary, and recalibrate for 2020. Any stunt will burn the party to the ground.

Well looks like the media's push to kill Donald Trump didn't work this time considering he's having his biggest lead yet.

I predict next month there will be another round of Trump's done articles from WaPo and NY Times followed by more leads.

Has there been any polling done of Trump's ability to gain Democrat votes?

it's not as out there as you're implying. The democrats biggest problem is their best people are old as hell. from the washington post:

There are five Democrats who have either declared or are thinking about running for president. Three — Joe Biden, Bernard Sanders, and Jim Webb — will be over 70 years old on Inauguration Day 2017. Frontrunner Hillary Clinton will be nine months short of 70. Only Martin O'Malley, who will turn 54 a couple of days before the 2017 swearing-in, has not reached retirement age already.

In 2008, Democrats had a 47 year-old candidate who mesmerized the party and ran away with the votes of Americans aged 18 to 29. Republicans, meanwhile, ran a 72 year-old man whose reputation was based on heroism in a war 40 years earlier. Youth won.

This time the situation is reversed. The average age of the Republican field is far below the Democrats, with every candidate younger than Clinton. The most senior is Jeb Bush, who will be 64 on Inauguration Day. Scott Walker will be 49; Marco Rubio will be 45; Ted Cruz, 46; Rand Paul, 54; Chris Christie, 54; Mike Huckabee, 61; Bobby Jindal, 45. Although Bush is in the older range, they're all in the career sweet spot to win the White House.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/why-is-the-2016-democratic-field-so-old/article/2563194

Congress isn't much better. Democrats run a good 5 years older than republicans here on average as well- with the average congressional democrat at 60 years old. and with republicans controlling the house and senate, losing a senate seat so a sitting senator can run in 2024 is a bad move.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/both-republicans-and-democrats-have-an-age-problem/

If you're looking to groom someone young, likeable, and photogenic without any baggage for a future run at the white house then VP is the best spot to do it. The american public understands VP is largely a ceremonial role that can't do much damage- unlike say, secretary of state, but it DOES allow for the "executive experience" argument as they grow in the role. A VP is as powerful as you say it is, really- the gamut runs from Dan Quayle on up to Dick Cheyney.

If Hillary had obvious demographic weaknesses to make up for in 2016 (as in say, Obama's weakness with working class whites leading him to pick Biden) it might be a different story- but she doesn't need say, Tim Kaine to carry Virginia or Corey Booker to carry minorities, she'll take the presidency easily in a walk.

When I was skimming through the Dem debate during the stream, I was watching Melkr have a meltdown during the first 30 minutes.

To be honest Melkr there's still more debates. Granted there's diminishing returns and this debate pretty much sealed Biden away, but there's still a bit of hope.

latest

Lol it was painful to watch Bernie melting.

This was the most important debate, imo. It was his "presentation", and Clinton snatched all the headlines. For Sanders to overcome his highly unlikely chances of winning, he needs espectacular circunstances. The poorly trained performance he gave yesterday didnt help much.

Edit:

Oh, just read Cheebo, Ivy and Bertram posts. You are gonna make me blush.

You guys are awesome, too.

(I am still dragging Hillarita, though)

Makai

I donated fifty bucks to Sanders when he announced and I feel like I got quite the bargain. I wanted him to stick around long enough for Hillary to acknowledge inequality and didn't dream that he would break 10%. Mission Complete. S Rank.

That's some big tent you got there...

Ariz. GOPer: Let's 'Take Guns Away From Blacks As They Are The Main Killers'

A former chairman of the Arizona Republican Party tweeted Tuesday night during the first Democratic presidential debate that guns should be taken away from "blacks" because "they are the main killers."
Yes black lives matter. The best way to end the slaughter of young black men is to take guns away from blacks as they are the main killers.

— Randy Pullen (@RPullen) October 14, 2015
Hillary's answers were too well prepared. My opinion, she had access to questions ahead of time.

— Randy Pullen (@RPullen) October 14, 2015

How come no one is talking about the fact checking of the Dem debate? Looks like Bernie was a bit off on his numbers in wealth inequality, black youth unemployment, and "free" college.

http://time.com/money/4073026/democratic-debate-money/
http://www.factcheck.org/2015/10/factchecking-the-democratic-debate/
http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/13/politics/democratic-debate-fact-check/

Has there been much economic analysis of Bernie's proposals. Seems like a lot of it sounds good in theory but there's always unintended consequences.

Tarkus

Has there been much economic analysis of Bernie's proposals. Seems like a lot of it sounds good in theory but there's always unintended consequences.
The only economic analyses I've seen of Bernie's proposals were the debunked WSJ's and other similar right-biased publications. I hope we see some more soon.

dramatis

Lol it was painful to watch Bernie melting.

This was the most important debate, imo. It was his "presentation", and Clinton snatched all the headlines. For Sanders to overcome his highly unlikely chances of winning, he needs espectacular circunstances. The poorly trained performance he gave yesterday didnt help much.
A few days ago somebody posted an article about the D candidates preparing for the debate. I remember in the article they reported Bernie wasn't doing any debate prep at all, and at that time I was thinking he was either incredibly confident or overly naive.

Years ago I read Obama was very obsessive about prepping for debates back in 2008, down to the point where he'd have the podiums positioned properly during his practices. It takes work! Bernie can't just stroll in and expect to dominate off of merely his confidence in the subjects he's familiar with. Even someone as seasoned as Hillary fudged a bit (she probably practiced too).

benjipwns

Banned
o'malley 7.5 point bump over the next couple weeks, mark it down

double it if joe makes it official he will not serve as president

next to the walker/martinez ticket

benjipwns

Banned
Now I'm wondering if the hockey analytics (of which I know little) community has analyzed that statement. (Gretzky's not Tyson's.) I would imagine there's some upper limit due to time and possession availability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom