• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.
Super Paper Mario is the Antonin Scalia of videogames: it ruins everything good that comes before it.
Other M is ted cruz

Even though it doesnt hold a candle to ttyd, at least it was decent and fresh. Not putting me to sleep the whole playthrough was a big plus, too

Super Paper Mario is a good game, unlike that thing on the 3DS that calls itself Paper Mario

It's fucking amazing . I mean he also picked Tennessee to beat Florida? I mean why? It's absolutely idiotic.

pfft, picking Tennessee against anyone
except Georgia ayyyy

Super Paper Mario is a good game, unlike that thing on the 3DS that calls itself Paper Mario
Super Paper Mario is greta garbo
CvgOdjc.jpg

Makai

The book proceeds are personal, and are not connected to Dr. Carson’s presidential campaign, however the campaign does note they are indirectly making money off the book and views its release during a time when he is polling so high as beneficial.

This needs a thread

Americans won't elect a President that they don't perceive as tough. Sometimes you got to shut fools down. HRC should go straight Thatcher on the Benghazi committee.

What is seen as a positive for a white male politician will be spun as a negative for a female politician.

Same reason why Bams never appears Angry and often opts for Disappointed.

Plus the less cues one takes from Thatcher, the better.

Glad to see GAF scored round #1 as a win for Bernie, as this is inline with the snap poles after the debate (CNN: Bernie - 83%, Hillary - 12%) and with my point-by-point re-watch scorecard.

The greatest exchange was on Wall Street, where Hillary nicely highlighted her far too close relationship "I basically said, 'cut it out'" [lol], which should be no surprise to anyone, when her top lifetime campaign contributors are Citigroup and Goldman Sacks, with over $700k a piece, not to mention the $200k, a pop, speeches, paid for by Wall Street. Her trying to show affinity over the 2008 recession, without acknowledging that President Clinton's deregulation played a significant role, was also very rich.

Despite a few wobbles, I thought Bernie gave a commanding performance and demonstrated, unequivocally, that he is a very real contender for President, with absolutely no policy positions that Americans cannot get behind. His line "Congress doesn't regulate Wall Street. Wall Street regulates Congres" was awesome and underpinned his opening remarks, on the importance of campaign finance reform.

Sure, he got wolloped by Hillary, on his five votes against the Brady Bill, but given his forthright and progressive stance on just about every other piece of gun legislation, such as closing the gun show loophole, I have no doubt that he would passionately fight for common sense gun controls. Clearly though, he needs some polish here, as his responses elicited only silence from the otherwise exuberant supporters, at my local debate watch party.

Bernie's very sincere push for twelve weeks of payed family leave, for new mother's, is the perfect antidote to Hillary's, utterly simplistic, vote for me because "I'm a woman" mantra, implying that only a woman can truly advance a woman's cause, when, in reality, any real progressive, such as Bernie, would be just as much in favor of any policy that tries to address, still persistent, gender inequalities.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Daniel B·;181795043 said:
Glad to see GAF scored round #1 as a win for Bernie, as this is inline with the snap poles after the debate (CNN: Bernie - 83%, Hillary - 12%) and with my point-by-point re-watch scorecard.

Either this is an amazing joke or the joke poll flew right over your head and you don't realize that online polls are representative of nothing.

pigeon

Banned
Daniel B·;181795043 said:

What snap poll? Can you provide a link? Or are you talking about the online poll?

Again, it's not surprising at all that internet polls show Bernie winning. They specifically test the thing that Bernie excels at -- supporter intensity.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Either this is an amazing joke or the joke poll flew right over your head and you don't realize that online polls are representative of nothing.

Self selecting polls are actually the best polls because the act of voting itself is a self selecting poll.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Self selecting polls are actually the best polls because the act of voting itself is a self selecting poll.

I know you're probably kidding, but spoofing one of these online polls is super easy and you're unlikely to get any kind of representative sample of the American electorate due to the fact that certain demographics will be over-represented and others will be under-represented. There's a reason everyone still does phone polls, done properly they give a damn good image of the race as it is.

What is seen as a positive for a white male politician will be spun as a negative for a female politician.

Same reason why Bams never appears Angry and often opts for Disappointed.

Plus the less cues one takes from Thatcher, the better.

You keep saying that but the most successful female politicians like Thatcher and Golda Meir have been willing to be strong and even angry when challenged by their male peers. A middle aged white woman is going to have different expectations they need to manage than a younger black man.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I've got to be honest--I see the book campaign as actually helping Carson in the long run.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, but you've been low-grade diablosing about him for a while now.

Stopping your campaign for 2 weeks is not, and cannot be, a positive.

No, it isn't. But with this electorate you never know.

I don't think I've ever been worried about Carson winning. I'm more surprised he hasn't melted under the spotlights yet than anything else.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I guess I don't get why people are thinking his campaign is over. He's still in the next debate, which is all people will care about.

I can see this bringing about a "See? He's not even a traditional politician in the sense that he doesn't waste time campaigning! That's so admirable!" feeling from the base.

Wilsongt

Fox News contributor arrested for lying. Oops.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/fox-news-guest-arrested-charged-with-lying-about-cia-ties/

A frequent Fox News guest who claimed to have ties to the Central Intelligence Agency was arrested on Thursday and charged with lying about his supposed agency work.

According to the Huffington Post, Wayne Simmons — who was often identified as a “terrorism analyst” by Fox News — was indicted by a federal grand jury in connection to alleged misconduct, including making false statements to the government, major fraud and wire fraud.
The 62-year-old often touted his CIA record on the cable news channel, claiming to have worked overseas for the agency as an “Outside Paramilitary Special Operations Officer” from 1973 to 2000.

According to a press release from the U.S. Attorney’s office in the Eastern District of Virginia, Simmons “used that false claim in an attempt to obtain government security clearances and work as a defense contractor, including at one point successfully getting deployed overseas as an intelligence advisor to senior military personnel.”

In addition, this isn’t Simmons’ first rodeo with the law. Court documents unsealed on Thursday reveal a “significant criminal history, including convictions for a crime of violence and firearms offenses.” Because of this, he “is believed to have had an ongoing association with firearms notwithstanding those felony convictions.”

Simmons was arrested on Thursday and appeared in court later that afternoon. If convicted of all three counts levied against him, he could face up to 35 years in prison.

Makai

I guess I don't get why people are thinking his campaign is over. He's still in the next debate, which is all people will care about.

I can see this bringing about a "See? He's not even a traditional politician in the sense that he doesn't waste time campaigning! That's so admirable!" feeling from the base.
He suspended his campaign for a month.

I don't think Carson's base is even going to notice the difference between a book tour and a campaign - what he's been saying on the campaign trial is what's in the book. This isn't like Newt's cruise.

That said, I think his reasoning for trying to make it seem like he's not profiting off running for president is pretty damn flimsy.

Someone most likely supports Carson because he's a religious nut who makes bigoted people feel less bigoted. Why would they care about a short stint from his campaign to promote his book?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Trump complains about the next GOP debate having too much ad time.

Nate Silver responds with:

Silver is legit shook to the point of grasping onto anything for proof that Trump won't be the nominee.

If Nate's wrong it's going to do a lot of damage to his brand, he seems like the one that's afraid here.

God, I hope Trump comes out swinging like in the first debate. I need some more fatalities.

He took off the last 2 weeks. He just announced he's taking off another 2 weeks.

He really climbed in the last two weeks with "loser Jews should armed their kindergarten teachers. I would have beaten Hitler with a single .357 right after I sold out my neighbors to the Nazi death camps."

So I don't think another two weeks off will hurt.

NeoXChaos

If Nate's wrong it's going to do a lot of damage to his brand, he seems like the one that's afraid here.

God, I hope Trump comes out swinging like in the first debate. I need some more fatalities.

I have no problem with losing if it meant Trump getting the nomination. Might as well pick out the Inaugural suit & dress the day it happens.

Even if Trump falls, it's just really hard for me to see all of that support going to establishment candidates.

Republicans hate their own party. I mean, they really fucking hate them.

You guys seem pretty eager to go back to a world without Silver and proper statistical analysis.

Wolf Blitzer dead heat for everybody!

Silver ventured off into pseudo-analytics now.

The problem with claiming someone like Trump has less chance than Jeb! right now is that there really isn't any hard data to support Nate's position. Just a few data points.

Politics is very different than sports, where for the most part, the rules are the rules and everyone works in the same confines. And this isn't analyzing polls, he's trying create formulas to explain what will happen...but those can't be properly tested. Variables change too much.

Silver has essentially become what he detested just 4 years ago.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You guys seem pretty eager to go back to a world without Silver and proper statistical analysis.

Wolf Blitzer dead heat for everybody!

I don't want to go without him, I just wish he would stick with what he knows and not with what he doesn't. When he uses the numbers he's amazing, when he doesn't he's no better than Wolf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom