• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

Oh.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ader-according-to-newly-released-US-memo.html

The controversy over Tony Blair’s decision to back George Bush over the Iraq war has been rekindled after a memo emerged showing the Prime Minister pledged to support an invasion a year ahead of the conflict.

Details of the Prime Minister’s readiness to back the US in bringing down Saddam Hussein are contained in a note from Colin Powell, then Secretary of State, to George Bush, ahead of Mr Blair’s April 2002 summit with the President in Crawford Texas.

The memo was found in a batch of secret emails on the private server of Hillary Clinton, the former Secretary of State, which was made available by the US courts.

At that time Tony Blair’s public position was that Britain was seeking a diplomatic, rather than military solution, to the crisis.

But, according to Mr Powell’s memo, which has been seen by the Mail on Sunday, Britain’s support for military action was already assured.

Mr Bush was told that the UK Prime Minister “will be with us”. The President was assured “The UK will follow our lead”.

A second memo says that Mr Blair used spies within the Labour party to help influence public opinion in favour of the war.

The memos make clear that the Americans wanted to capitalise on the popularity of Tony Blair at the time.

“He will present to you the strategic, tactical and public affairs lines that he believes will strengthen global support for our common cause,” Mr Powell wrote.

Oh.

Diablos

I'd be embarrassed if I were Biden at this point. I feel bad about his loss, but how many times do you have to think it over, especially if you've already tried running for President twice?

Soft trutherism? Lolololol

"Bush was president on 9/11."
"NO ONE COULD HAVE PREVENTED 9/11."
"No one could have prevented a terror attack on this scale?"
"THAT'S RIGHT."
"So why do we spend so much money on counter-terrorism now?"
"I'M GOING TO LISTEN TO LINKIN PARK."

(We shouldn't spend nearly as much money on the War on Terror obviously).

CRkf-TuUwAAaM4x.jpg:large

Larry David as Bernie Sanders on Saturday Night Live.

Diablos

Everybody focuses on the national results, but Iraq hollowed Labour's council control on a scale so severe, they still haven't recovered.
I just don't understand why he wanted to drink the poison that was the war in Iraq.

Blair was such a sensible politician up to that point. Did he lose his mind? Was he on drugs? Serious questions here.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I just don't understand why he wanted to drink the poison that was the war in Iraq.

Blair was such a sensible politician up to that point. Did he lose his mind? Was he on drugs? Serious questions here.

tumblr_n3mhc7uiyk1rome1po4_250.gif

I'm being serious here, it's likely all about the oil.

Cheebo

Banned

It is hard to understate just how much 9/11 fucked with politicians. Bush with his crazily high lopsided approval ratings. Those early post 9/11 years made some normally sane politicians do and say some insane things.

Diablos

It is hard to understate just how much 9/11 fucked with politicians. Bush with his crazily high lopsided approval ratings. Those early post 9/11 years made some normally sane politicians do and say some insane things.
I know, but Tony fucking Blair? Seriously?

I know, but Tony fucking Blair? Seriously?

He was drinking the "help American after they were attacked by terrorists" kool-aid so as mentioned, he did some insane things because they were legitimately popular with the public. Then we actually invaded Iraq and holy shit did that go poorly...

UKPoliGaf generally goes with him trying to pull a Tatcher. Namely, when she went to war over the falklands, she went from being unpopular to Tha Bess, and Blair thought that getting involved in a war would be good for him/his party. Also explains his eagerness.

So yeah.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
"almost certain"

Never a definite statement with these sources. I'll wait to hear it from the horses mouth.

Biden is going to be the first president elected that never announces he is running for president. November 1, 2016: "Biden definitely making a decision by next week"

Don't people get mad when their friends leak what they told them in confidence?

Not if they expect (and want) you to leak it.

I can't believe the GOP is still harboring delusions as to otherwise.
If nothing else I'm glad Trump is pulling the wool over the GOP's eyes regarding a lot of their bullshit conventional wisdom. It's ludicrous that "Bush kept us safe" ever caught on considering YOU KNOW.

If Clinton, Gore, Obama etc. had been president on 9/11 there would have been a lot more tepid response to them with some right wingers outright blaming them for letting it happen. But Bush was a good ol' Republican so it became something no one could have foreseen.

TAPPER: Obviously Al Qaeda was responsible for the terrorist attack of 9/11, but how do you respond to critics who ask, if your brother and his administration bear no responsibility at all, how do you then make the jump that President Obama and Secretary Clinton are responsible for what happened at Benghazi?

JEB BUSH: Well I -- the question on Benghazi which, is hopefully we'll now finally get the truth to, is was the place secure? They had a responsibility, the Department of State, to have proper security. There were calls for security, it looks like they didn't get it. And how was the response in the aftermath of the attack, was there a chance that these four American lives could have been saved? That's what the investigation is about, it's not a political issue. It's not about the broad policy issue, is were we doing the job of protecting our embassies and our consulates and during the period, those hours after the attack started, could they have been saved?

TAPPER: Well that's, that's kind of proving the point of the critics I was just asking about, because you don't want to have your brother bear responsibility for 9/11 and I understand that argument and Al Qaeda's responsible, but why are the terrorists not the ones who are responsible for these attacks in Libya?

BUSH: They are, of course they are but -- of course they are, but if the ambassador was asking for additional security and didn't get it, that's a proper point and if it's proven that the security was adequate compared to other embassies, fine, we'll move on.

Jeb! might as well be called (Low Energy) Cognitive Dissonance Man.

Owzers

Hey jeb, was there a chance those 3000 americans could have been saved on 9/11?

How dare you use tragedy for political gain.

ugh. hack on Meet the Press' answer as to why they haven't called many of the relevant people about Benghazi and his answer was the committee isn't ending tuesday, they have time to possibly call some.

If Jeb somehow ever made it to the general, Hillary would torment him until he cried. This guy is so vulnerable and thin-skinned about everything.

edit: The National Review is claiming we did find WMDs in Iraq but the MSM tried to cover it up? Is this just sob and scream in the corner day?

If Jeb somehow ever made it to the general, Hillary would torment him until he cried. This guy is so vulnerable and thin-skinned about everything.

edit: The National Review is claiming we did find WMDs in Iraq but the MSM tried to cover it up? Is this just sob and scream in the corner day?

No they didn't really? Jesus Christ.

Diablos

UKPoliGaf generally goes with him trying to pull a Tatcher. Namely, when she went to war over the falklands, she went from being unpopular to Tha Bess, and Blair thought that getting involved in a war would be good for him/his party. Also explains his eagerness.

So yeah.
Then perhaps he's more of an idiot than a creep.

Trump has the nom. It just seems inevitable at this point.

FiggyCal

Banned
A professor I once had told me that Saddam knew the US was coming to depose him so in the final days of his regime he had his men take the wmds away across national borders or something
He sounded really self assured so I didn't question it
Lol. My dad told me that once. Said Saddam sent them to Iran.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom