• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeb's main foreign policy person on how they have no connection to reality:

CRr5dcWWUAAQ-hc.png

He and his advisers think he can win. Biden "sees a path to victory"

He'd have to hope to pull away a ton of Hillary's support among minorities, which is possible but not a sure bet.

And where's he going to plant his ideological flag? At this point he's basically forced to campaign to Hillary's right. Hillary has drifted leftward and Sanders is hogging all the room on the far left.

And unlike Hillary, he has absolutely no ability to reposition himself in opposition to the administration on stuff like TPP.

NeoXChaos

He'd have to hope to pull away a ton of Hillary's support among minorities, which is possible but not a sure bet.

And where's he going to plant his ideological flag? At this point he's basically forced to campaign to Hillary's right. Hillary has drifted leftward and Sanders is hogging all the room on the far left.

And unlike Hillary, he has absolutely no ability to reposition himself in opposition to the administration on stuff like TPP.

Are you assuming this because that's what they said to the media?

Pro tip: nobody leaks to the media "yeah, we're doomed before we even start, I don't know why we bother."

That is just me repeating what the media says and yeah its obvious they will say that to the media. He and his team are politically savvy enough to know he will face a very uphill climb. If he goes with his head he will not. If he goes with his heart he will.

Biden's only path to victory is hoping Sanders wins in Iowa and New Hampshire and throws the establishment into a meltdown. If Hillary wins either one the race is over.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I am sure this will be a feel good story for two days and then politico will start running the hit pieces.

pigeon

Banned
I am sure this will be a feel good story for two days and then politico will start running the hit pieces.

To be honest, I still think this entire race is being stage managed by Hillary, including Biden's Shroedinger's candidacy and Sanders's "let's destroy the establishment except Hillary" campaign.

Everything that's happening makes more sense if you assume that before people do it they coordinate with the Clintons to make sure what they're doing will help the Democrats without derailing Hillary.

For instance, if Biden was really antagonistic with Hillary, there'd probably be more hit pieces on him already. (There were a couple, admittedly, when the first announcement announcement happened, which does cut against my thesis a little bit.)

Jarmel

Banned
Would Biden even be doing some sort of press announcement if he wasn't running? Seems like a simple, "No I'm not entering" would suffice.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
The only reason Biden running is a question is because it's a 100% cynical decision in the first place, based on whether or not the supposed email scandal takes down Hillary. We all know that.

I do think drawing it out in a very public way is damaging long-term for him. Nobody wants to be seen as hemming and hawing on the most important job in the world. You either want it with every ounce of your soul or you don't.

And Hillary's debt free college plan is totally going to get passed in congress?

This idea that she will be more comitted to compromise than Sanders or that Republicans will be more open to negotiate with her "just because" is not really grounded in reality, imo.

And Biden wont run, I think. The narrative is already set for Clinton vs Sanders. I dont see where he could fit into the issues.

NeoXChaos

I imagine a GOP president and congress would be much like 2009. All of a sudden they wouldn't be able to go for boisterous action knowing that it will get filibustered or vetoed, they'd have to reign themselves in and take a more thoughtful approach. Think blue dog democrats.

Supreme Court.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Has anyone ever successfully jumped in this late and done well? It seems like Hillary has to be light years ahead in terms of organization and having a ground game at this point. I love Uncle Joe, but I think it's too late for him in more ways than one.

pigeon

Banned
This idea that she will be more comitted to compromise than Sanders or that Republicans will be more open to negotiate with her "just because" is not really grounded in reality, imo.

I think it's actually the opposite. People believe that Hillary will be more effective because she's taking a more realistic approach to the problem. Bernie's plan is to instigate a political revolution. Hillary's plan is to run a moderate-progressive general election campaign to try to get longer coattails, then simultaneously put forward a legislative agenda and take executive action to accomplish her goals. One of those is something that might work (Obama's kind of already doing it).

I agree that Hillary's legislative proposals aren't a lot more likely to get passed than Bernie's, but that's why she keeps pairing them with executive action proposals.

teiresias

AndyD

aka andydumi
Can anyone give a quick rundown of Jeb's involvement with Terry Schiavo? I only know of the case from the media back then, but it seems that he did something in particular surrounding the situation?

pigeon

Banned
Can anyone give a quick rundown of Jeb's involvement with Terry Schiavo? I only know of the case from the media back then, but it seems that he did something in particular surrounding the situation?

When the federal appeals were exhausted and the feeding tube was removed, the Florida legislature passed a law giving the Florida governor the right to intervene in the case, which was Jeb. Jeb ordered the feeding tube reinserted. Then that law had to go through the judicial system and get struck down as unconstitutional, which took literally another year and a half.

teiresias

When the federal appeals were exhausted and the feeding tube was removed, the Florida legislature passed a law giving the Florida governor the right to intervene in the case, which was Jeb. Jeb ordered the feeding tube reinserted. Then that law had to go through the judicial system and get struck down as unconstitutional, which took literally another year and a half.

I still find it amazing how the whole GOP argument about "big government" was completely counter to the entire Shiavo ordeal. It really was, and continues to be, ridiculous.

We treat family pets better at the end of life then we do human beings in this country.

Mike M

Nick N
That's underselling it a bit.

The complete version with sprinkles on top.

Is a fun read.
-
You shall forever be my enemy, MikeM

Someone needs to smack this guy in the goddamned face.

I dunno man, "lets send our people across the ocean so that people dont have to travel to kill us" has its own nouvel appeal.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

And Biden wont run, I think. The narrative is already set for Clinton vs Sanders. I dont see where he could fit into the issues.

Obama was very willing to negotiate, but it didn't work at all. And that was with Boehner, who's likely going to be way more willing to come to the table than the next speaker, unless that unimaginable coalition happens.

Advisor: "Mr. bush, you're being railroaded by Trump. He is defining you before you can define yourself. He has defined you on everything. Right now you are stuck defending your brother's record because of one tweet from him."
Jeb: "well what should I do?? I cant ignore him"
Advisor: "You need to pivot."
Jeb: "Pivot?"
Advisor: "Pivot."
Jeb: "Pivot to where? Off the cliff?"
Advisor: "Sir you've been the governor of the most important swing state for 4 years. Think of an issue that made your base vote for you..."
Jeb: "...I got it! You boys remember Terry Schiavo dont you?"

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I love Joe Biden, but I think this is the wrong move.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Thanks for the info. Time to do some reading.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I imagine a GOP president and congress would be much like 2009. All of a sudden they wouldn't be able to go for boisterous action knowing that it will get filibustered or vetoed, they'd have to reign themselves in and take a more thoughtful approach. Think blue dog democrats.

They'd get rid of the filibuster. Democrats would get rid of the filibuster in that position too.

Reid should have gotten rid of the filibuster in 2009, and I don't think anyone wants to make that mistake again. Especially now that there's all the political capital in the world to do whatever it takes to fix the problem with the federal government being so deadlocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom