• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is polling just well enough, even when you would think his outrageous claims should be enough to destroy anyone´s chances. Never underestimate the power of evangelicals.

He will save the State from itself! Literally Hitler.

Don't overestimate them either. They aren't some group that decides who wins general elections.

Ben Carson is a straight up fool when it comes to being a president. His ignorance on many matters would make him look stupid and inexperienced; independents and even some Republicans would not vote for him most likely. His sound bits and talking points will not carry him far at all and since the media will focus on both him and Clinton he most likely won't survive in the spotlight . He is also not the best speaker and would have trouble building connections in the base since he is an outsider. He would also be a really, really easy target. He only seems dangerous because of the high polls and his ignorance, but like other times you are being focused solely on polls which doesn't matter until the general. The primaries aren't the general election.

DOWN

Banned
tumblr_ntvbrf1vyD1u1t2tto1_540.jpg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He is polling just well enough, even when you would think his outrageous claims should be enough to destroy anyone´s chances. Never underestimate the power of evangelicals.

Evangelicals aren't enough to make him competitive in the general, there simply aren't enough of them to say an election. Even in the GOP primary they never get their choice.

Carson would be shredded in a general election, the only reason he's still afloat is that no one pays much attention this early.

NeoXChaos

Evangelicals aren't enough to make him competitive in the general, there simply aren't enough of them to say an election. Even in the GOP primary they never get their choice.

Evangelicals beyond IA decrease in number as the calendar goes on. Huckabee and Santorum found that out the hard way.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Evangelicals beyond IA decrease in number as the calendar goes on. Huckabee and Santorum found that out the hard way.

Exactly, the only reason anyone cares about them is Iowa's place in the calendar. If Iowa wasn't first they'd be irrelevant.

Sometimes I think Ben Carson might have been the one who posted that Space Moors Time Redux thread on GAF last year.

That thread was hilarious.

Carson would be shredded in a general election, the only reason he's still afloat is that no one pays much attention this early.

I would say that I agree but I have my reservations. The GOP debates garnered as much attention (more going by ratings) than even presidential debates. He got the attention and went up in the polls.

And evangelicals power comes from organization, not numbers. They shaped politics in America since Reagan until Bush Jr.. I would agree though, their power and influence is not what it used to be.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I would say that I agree but I have my reservations. The GOP debates garnered as much attention (more going by ratings) than even presidential debates. He got the attention and went up in the polls.

And evangelicals power comes from organization, not numbers. They shaped politics in America since Reagan until Bush Jr.. I would agree though, their power and influence is not what it used to be.

Their influence is almost non-existent outside of fundraising and due to changes in campaign finance laws that's basically gone too. The cultural shift leftward, as minor as it may be, has all but neutered them.

Outside of Iowa they have no real power left. I honestly think you're massively overestimating their power if you think they can get Carson to be competitive in a general election. If the GOP went with Carson it would be every Democratic strategist's wet dream, it would be an easier win than against Trump.

Diablos

Listening to Joe Biden's announcement again, it's kind of weird that he dropped out. "Beau is our inspiration, but we just can't do it because... time."

Seems like he realized he made a mistake and should have announced several months back.

Hillary is basically unopposed. Has any candidate from either party had such an easy primary? When is the last time in US history this happened?

NeoXChaos

Listening to Joe Biden's announcement again, it's kind of weird that he dropped out. "Beau is our inspiration, but we just can't do it because... time."

Seems like he realized he made a mistake and should have announced several months back.

Hillary is basically unopposed. Has any candidate from either party had such an easy primary? When is the last time in US history this happened?

Gore but he was an incumbent VP

Non-incumbent President or VP? Probably Hillary depending on the ultimate outcome.

Ok these type of posts are going to be funny next year if Clinton doesnt secure the nomination during Super Tuesday. (she most likely wont if Sanders wins Iowa)

Theres really no need to be so dismissive of Sanders.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Biden needed to announce he was running at about the same time Beau died to be competitive. I feel like the last month or so has been him trying to figure out if it was possible to play catch up and play to his full potential, only to discover he didn't have nearly enough time to reach his fighting weight. Part of me hoped he'd find a way, but there just wasn't enough time given the head start Hillary had and the way the debate went.

We've never really had a candidate like Hillary before, she's essentially an incumbent as far as this race is concerned and she's running like it.

Ok these type of posts are going to be funny next year if Clinton doesnt secure the nomination during Super Tuesday.

Theres really no need to be so dismissive of Sanders.

Do I need to link to your own posts after the debate? Even you knew he was done after that. He needed a game changer and he didn't get it, everything after that failure is going to be a long, slow death march to Super Tuesday.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Trey Gowdy was on MTP today and Chuck Godd (lol) asked him what new things he learned about BENGHAZI! now that he had 72 hours to go back and read the transcript, and the best this shitstain could come up with was that he didn't like how Hillary wasn't being specific about BENGHAZI!

That's it.

Him, his staff and his Republican buddies huddled together, and combed through 11 hours worth of testimony, and THIS is the best these clowns could come up with.

Do I need to link to your own posts after the debate? Even you knew he was done after that. He needed a game changer and he didn't get it, everything after that failure is going to be a long, slow death march to Super Tuesday.

I am not saying Sanders is going to win. I am saying that Sanders has still enough traction to win both Iowa and NH and with that give himself a sufficient boost to survive Super Tuesday. Clinton isnt running "unopposed", just like McCain wasnt in 08.

Kansas is having regrets.

Brownback satisfaction rating at 18%
A new poll from the Docking Institute of Public Affairs at Fort Hays State University shows only 18 percent of Kansans are satisfied with Gov. Sam Brownback's performance in office, and most (61 percent) think his signature tax policies have either been a "failure" or a "tremendous failure."

The Fall 2015 "Kansas Speaks" survey also showed a large majority (61 percent) favor expanding Medicaid. Another 84 percent oppose requiring colleges and universities to allow firearms on campus, and 82 percent are skeptical that voter fraud is a significant problem in Kansas.

Diablos

Biden needed to announce he was running at about the same time Beau died to be competitive. I feel like the last month or so has been him trying to figure out if it was possible to play catch up and play to his full potential, only to discover he didn't have nearly enough time to reach his fighting weight. Part of me hoped he'd find a way, but there just wasn't enough time given the head start Hillary had and the way the debate went.

We've never really had a candidate like Hillary before, she's essentially an incumbent as far as this race is concerned and she's running like it.
What awful luck for the Biden family... I don't wanna get emotional about it, but I just think it would have been fitting for him to live up to his son's dying wish. But who knows what he's really going through with his family.

You had one job, Kansas voters... and you blew it. Take a look in the mirror if you are mad. Davis would have been a great fit for Kansas and boy do Dems need more Governors.

Kansas must be a really shitty place to live.

Konka

Banned

That's beyond objectively false.

The Fox Debate had 24 million viewers.

The first 2012 Presidential debate had 67 million viewers and the second had 65 million viewers. It's not even in the same ballpark.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/17/second-presidential-debate-ratings_n_1974838.html

That's beyond objectively false.

The Fox Debate had 24 million viewers.

The first 2012 Presidential debate had 67 million viewers and the second had 65 million viewers. It's not even in the same ballpark.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/17/second-presidential-debate-ratings_n_1974838.html

You're right, but it's fucking crazy that FOX had over one third of the same amount of views as the most recent first presidential debate. That's one network covering a primary debate compared to all the major networks covering a presidential debate.

Next year's numbers are going to be MASSIVE, mostly because of Trump.

You're right, but it's fucking crazy that FOX had over one third of the same amount of views as the most recent first presidential debate. That's one network covering a primary debate compared to all the major networks covering a presidential debate.

*YUUUGGE, not MASSIVE.

Yeah, whoever said 2008 was wackier than 2016 because we'll never get another Palin -> we found one.

It just blows me away that this man is a neurosurgeon. A talented neurosurgeon at that. You don't just arrive to such an occupation without a base level of intelligence and studiousness. Yet he seems to defy all logic.

Makai

It just blows me away that this man is a neurosurgeon. A talented neurosurgeon so that. You don't just arrive to such an occupation without a base level of intelligence and studiousness. Yet he seems to defy all logic.
The smartest guy in my computer science classes read Drudge as his primary news source and was a strong advocate for the gold standard.

Konka

Banned

You can't interpret the numbers in the same way though. People watch the Presidential debates and take them seriously. People watched that debate for the train wreck provided by one Donald J. Trump.

So probably cut that number by at least a third of people who didn't turn in out of morbid curiosity. It was more like an episode of reality TV than an actual debate.

Diablos

Rubio on top? I think his Potted Plant strategy is working. Just keep riding the wave, but let others get washed. I want to see Marco grilled like Ben Carson in that Chris Wallace interview. Dude would sweat so hard the room will become misty.
I'm telling you, Rubio has the nom.

He will look especially young and enthusiastic up against Hillary. Like Obama did against McCain.

He's the GOP's best chance.

I'm telling you, Rubio has the nom.

He will look especially young and enthusiastic up against Hillary. Like Obama did against McCain.

He's the GOP's best chance.
He's for abortion one day and he's against abortion the other, including in the case of rape/incest. He's for Iraq war one day and he's against it on another day. Trump will provide an excellent contrast to this flip flopping politician.

Diablos

He's for abortion one day and he's against abortion the other, including in the case of rape/incest. He's for Iraq war one day and he's against it on another day. Trump will provide an excellent contrast to this flip flopping politician.
He can still win, he has time.

You can't interpret the numbers in the same way though. People watch the Presidential debates and take them seriously. People watched that debate for the train wreck provided by one Donald J. Trump.

So probably cut that number by at least a third of people who didn't turn in out of morbid curiosity. It was more like an episode of reality TV than an actual debate.

But if Trump gets the nomination (and he will), then we have an even more epic train wreck to watch! Just like reality TV, you can't just stop at one episode!

So, combine the viewers who are taking the presidential debate seriously with the people who don't care about politics but love Trump/reality TV and you have a recipe for the highest ratings of any televised event ever when the first presidential debate of 2016 is broadcast.

You'll have to forgive the hyperbole on the projected ratings of next year's debates, but seriously, everyone is going to be watching!

I am not saying Sanders is going to win. I am saying that Sanders has still enough traction to win both Iowa and NH and with that give himself a sufficient boost to survive Super Tuesday. Clinton isnt running "unopposed", just like McCain wasnt in 08.
Which states do you think on Super Tuesday that aren't currently Sanders-friendly would change if the whims of Iowa and New Hampshire, which don't see very reflective of the broader Democratic base, were to both go Sanders?

Larry Sabato has made this useful visual aid, which may have already been posted.
Showing the different state's demographics.

Do you expect him to start pulling significant non-white support as a result of winning the first two primaries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom