• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makai

Bush - Batman
Rubio - Robin
Kasich - Batgirl

Trump - Joker
Carson - Hush
Cruz - Bane
Christie - Penguin
Fiorina - Catwoman
Paul - Mad Hatter
Huckabee - Harley Quinn
Santorum - Killer Croc
Jindal - Mr. Freeze
Graham - Scarecrow
Pataki - Mr. Zsasz

Neil Cavuto - Clock King
Maria Bartiromo - Poison Ivy
Gerard Baker - Riddler

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Hillary hasn't started campaigning (which will help her) and Carson hasn't started campaigning either (which will hurt him).

10% undecided is also suggestive. Again, when Obama led Romney by double digits before the first debate, most of that lead was because of a high number of undecided voters, and after the first debate they went right back to supporting Romney. When one candidate does poorly in a poll along with a much higher number of undecided voters, it suggests that a lot of those undecided voters are supporters that are temporarily claiming to be undecided for various reasons, and a good media beat will lead to them flocking back.

Can we stop with this already? Overall, PoliGAF has been terribly wrong about this election cycle. Nothing should surprise anybody at this point.

In that Quinnipiac poll Carson is beating Hillary among white women 53-38. This can't be real, right?
People need to stop freaking about general election polling. Carson, Trump, etc are all polling as Generic R in the general, and that's a huge advantage right now. Generic R to most people is a George HW type, country clubbing gypsy moth Republican from the northeast that will come to town on his unicorn steed, cut down some government, lower taxes, keeps social programs, indifferent to religious issues and fix the world by dick waving.

Bush - Batman
Rubio - Robin
Kasich - Batgirl

Trump - Joker
Carson - Hush
Cruz - Bane
Christie - Penguin
Fiorina - Catwoman
Paul - Mad Hatter
Huckabee - Harley Quinn
Santorum - Killer Croc
Jindal - Mr. Freeze
Graham - Scarecrow
Pataki - Mr. Zsasz

Neil Cavuto - Clock King
Maria Bartiromo - Poison Ivy
Gerard Baker - Riddler
Fiorina should be Poison Ivy

Jindal Mr Freeze lol

HylianTom

Banned
The NBC vs. Quinnipiac polls that were just released are a pretty stark contrast, maybe someone can chime in on the cross tabs.

As far as party ID goes, NBC's poll seems to assume that the electorate looks pretty close to what it looked like in 2012. Quinnipiac's, on the other hand, reflects an electorate where GOP-identified voters will vote in greater numbers than Democrats

Make of that what you will.

One huge question mark for 2016 will be whether or not the Obama Coalition will return to the polls. If so, then that NBC/WSJ poll would likely be closer to the result. If the coalition fails and there's an anti-Democrat backlash resulting in some sort of historically odd party ID anomaly, then Quinn's looks good. Or a third option: we may see something in between the two polls' results, where Hillary gets some or most of Obama's coalition to turn out.

We just don't know who'll show up quite yet.

Makai

Eh, Poison Ivy cares about the environment. Id say Fiorina's closest one would be Harley Quinn.
Huck is Harley Quinn because he's latched onto Trump. I gave CarlyCatwoman because she's midway between the establishment and the outsiders. Some have also accused her of burglarizing stock holders :S

Then again, she has a cat named Isis. That's it, Lindsey gets Catwoman.

Makai

Bush - Batman
Rubio - Robin
Kasich - Batgirl

Trump - Joker
Carson - Hush
Cruz - Bane
Christie - Penguin
Fiorina - Two-Face
Paul - Mad Hatter
Huckabee - Harley Quinn
Santorum - Killer Croc
Jindal - Mr. Freeze
Graham - Catwoman
Pataki - Mr. Zsasz

Neil Cavuto - Clock King
Maria Bartiromo - Deadshot
Gerard Baker - Riddler

Man, Scott Walker is just a horrible human being:

CS--4vCVAAA9o8k.jpg

(The cop was a crook who killed himself and try to frame it as murder)

pigeon

Banned
Can we stop with this already? Overall, PoliGAF has been terribly wrong about this election cycle. Nothing should surprise anybody at this point.

Uh, I mean, what's your specific objection?

Carson has never run a major presidential campaign. Do I think he will suffer in the general as the press rakes him over the goals? Yes.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Uh, I mean, what's your specific objection?

Carson has never run a major presidential campaign. Do I think he will suffer in the general as the press rakes him over the goals? Yes.

Because every time over the past few months somebody has said "such and such will hurt Trump/Carson," it hasn't happened. This election cycle is incredibly bizarre.

For my personal sanity, there needs to be an anti-subscription option on GAF so I can hide threads (like this one) so I don't spend inordinate amounts of time lurking and Diablosing from time to time. I can keep telling myself "Electoral Collage, Latino vote, Electoral College, Latino vote" over and over but it soothes not. And there is still a year left.

I mean, it has reached the point where Trump could literally punch a Mexican immigrant and his numbers would improve. That Rubio credit card stuff should sink him but no one will care (imagine if it were Hillary instead?! Christ, we would never hear the end of it, the hypocrisy is astounding) and we have lots of people in here shaking in their boots at the thought of him winning the nomination. Carson has slept-walked his way to the top. None of these people would be taken seriously nationally if you switched their R to a D. Would be laughed off the stage immediately. And yet here we are.

And I don't even live in the US anymore! I live in a country that just recently made a very good decision when it comes to the government so I should care less. Wish it was easy to become a low-information voter. Both sides are the same! (Guh, never gonna happen).

/goes back to watching Bob Ross to cleanse my soul

pigeon

Banned
Because every time over the past few months somebody has said "such and such will hurt Trump/Carson," it hasn't happened. This election cycle is incredibly bizarre.

In the primary.

The primary electorate is not that large. It doesn't take that much to change it drastically.

The general electorate is, you know, the entire country.

You shouldn't use one to draw conclusions about the other.

NeoXChaos

Reid WilsonVerified account
‏@ConsultReid
@RonBrownstein Just 4-5 Dem Govs in states Obama lost (pending LA outcome). Compare to 12 GOP Govs in states Obama won.

Ronald Brownstein ‏@RonBrownstein 13m13 minutes ago
Ronald Brownstein Retweeted Reid Wilson
That is a very hard road. Dems down to 4 of the 44 US Senate seats, for instance, in 22 states voted vs Obama 2x

Ronald Brownstein ‏@RonBrownstein 14m14 minutes ago
Ronald Brownstein Retweeted Reid Wilson
Fair point. Dem weakness in blue/purple state elections is real, but also tied to most gov's elected in off years Ronald Brownstein added,

Ronald Brownstein Retweeted Jeff B@AoSHQDD
If you factor in the turnout issue, with most gov's elected in off years, national trend applies 2 states (more)

though i would agree that the prez correlation still more powerful in federal than state elections

Ronald Brownstein ‏@RonBrownstein 12m12 minutes ago
@ConsultReid D structure weak in many states. But can't ignore off-year turnout on gov results, esp in blue states

Debbie needs to be fired.

But even in those solidly blue states, Republicans have made recent inroads, while Democrats struggle to compete outside the so-called Blue Wall, the 18 states that have voted Democratic in each of the last six elections.

Come January, Democrats will hold governorships in only three states President Obama lost in 2012: Missouri, Montana and West Virginia (Democrats have a strong chance to add a fourth, Louisiana, which elects a new governor later this month). Conversely, Republicans hold governor’s mansions in a dozen states — Nevada, New Mexico, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Florida, New Jersey, and even reliably liberal Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland and Obama’s home state, Illinois. Just five Senate Democrats represent states Obama lost; eight Senate Republicans hail from states Obama won.

Democrats believe their growing coalition of women, minorities and younger voters can help them keep the White House in 2016, especially if former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is their party’s nominee. They are heartened by the chaotic Republican presidential primary, in which the most vocal candidates seem determined to push Hispanic voters even farther out of the fold, as evidence that their coalition will hold in 2016.

But some worry the party is too focused on the presidential contest, to the exclusion of down-ballot races. They struggle to determine how to motivate their coalition — and, more importantly, grow it beyond its narrow confines — to vote in non-presidential years.

http://morningconsult.com/2015/11/democrats-look-for-answers-after-surprising-losses/

thefro

This is probably true in swing states or red states with large minority populations whose high turnout could make low turnout elections competitive. I think Conway was straight up fucked no matter what he did.

From what I saw in the Louisville TV market, he didn't run a very good campaign.

All I can remember seeing is ads talking about how Bevin had a "tax delinquency problem" and Bevin getting mad at a reporter asking him about that.

From what I saw in the Louisville TV market, he didn't run a very good campaign.

All I can remember seeing is ads talking about how Bevin had a "tax delinquency problem" and Bevin getting mad at a reporter asking him about that.

I did hear Conway campaigned more on attacking Bevin's character than on things like protecting Kynect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom