• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but with a 5-4 liberal SCOTUS (at the very least) with Hillary in the WH, a lot of these state level decisions could be thrown out if they are challenged properly.

That's a terrible plan to fall back on. DNC needs to figure out what they need to do for these non-Presidential cycle races.

gaugebozo

Has this guy learned absolutely nothing about this election cycle? Don't apologize, double down! The French are lazy and never accomplish anything, some I assume are good people, etc.

It's really nice to be a particle physicist, because no one knows what you do and can't enforce their beliefs on your science. We don't get people holding melting Higgs bosons on the Senate floor or anything.

HylianTom

Banned
That's a terrible plan to fall back on. DNC needs to figure out what they need to do for these non-Presidential cycle races.
Starting at the top. I haven't liked the job that DWS has been doing for some time, but it might be time to become more vocal when the DNC contacts me. Dems only seem to do well in their solid blue states and in the few swing states with GOTV operations, and that's no way to approach getting a working majority.

I agree with SCOTUS being good insurance for excesses of the opposition, but lower courts help immensely too. They consider a ton of cases, and many lawsuits at district/appeals level can nip nasty legislation in the bud without having to go higher up. (My fantasy? A liberal 5th circuit. That'd be a solid indicator of thorough control of the judiciary.)

Has this guy learned absolutely nothing about this election cycle? Don't apologize, double down! The French are lazy and never accomplish anything, some I assume are good people, etc.
I really laughed aloud. Not sure why, but this got to me.😝

How does farming up politicians for higher levels work exactly? Someone said that Democrats control almost all of the 30 biggest cities in the United States. Just wait until 2020, 2022, and 2024 for them to run for Governor?

The point is that there have been some extremely critical decisions in the last administration like Obamacare and Marriage Equality that squeaked past the supreme court on razor thin margins. These decisions are nearly impossible to reverse, since justices rarely retire.

We have at least one liberal justice definitely leaving in the next 4 to 8 years, so a republican president means conservative decisions for the next two decades.

Think of how much bullshit could have been avoided had citizens united gone the other way. State level politics that turn over much more frequently are in NO WAY more critical than long term control of the SC.

Diablos

Starting at the top. I haven't liked the job that DWS has been doing for some time, but it might be time to become more vocal when the DNC contacts me. Dems only seem to do well in their solid blue states and in the few swing states with GOTV operations, and that's no way to approach getting a working majority.

I agree with SCOTUS being good insurance for excesses of the opposition, but lower courts help immensely too. They consider a ton of cases, and many lawsuits at district/appeals level can nip nasty legislation in the bud without having to go higher up. (My fantasy? A liberal 5th circuit. That'd be a solid indicator of thorough control of the judiciary.)
DWS needs to step down, I agree.

Dems have to win where they can, and they're down so badly in state government that they should focus on what they know they can win (the WH). This, again, is not an excuse to overlook other races. But if nothing else, the party needs to make sure the WH does not change hands or Dems could be shut out for a good 10 years when it comes to meaningful policy and impact on the law.

In a broader sense, Dems can't stop all of the bleeding that has occurred since 2010. It's going to take time, not just a good plan. We're talking at least 2-3 successful election cycles and that is going to be hard to do. What they can do at the very least is keep the White House Democratic, ensure the SCOTUS will lean left by the end of a Clinton Presidency, which can stop absolutely toxic decisions like Citizens United from being decided. Who knows, they could reverse such decisions too which will have a direct impact on elections at the state level and favor Dems heavily. Executive orders also play a big role.

So it looks like the GOP primary is finally boiling down to:

Trump
Carson
Cruz
Rubio

With the establishment falling in line behind Rubio, I'd assume, he should get through this and grab the nomination. Well, normally, but this seems like such a weird primary.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So it looks like the GOP primary is finally boiling down to:

Trump
Carson
Cruz
Rubio

With the establishment falling in line behind Rubio, I'd assume, he should get through this and grab the nomination. Well, normally, but this seems like such a weird primary.

Except Rubio is still only barely in double figures while Trump and Carson are destroying everyone else.

Cheebo

Banned
The two national polls from last night confirm thats our final 4 of sorts.

Quinnipac:
Carson 23, Trump 24, Rubio 14, Cruz 13,

NBC/WSJ:
Trump 26, Carson 16, Rubio 13, Kasich 11

While in Iowa the top 3 is Carson, Trump & Cruz while in NH it is Trump, Carson, & Rubio.

Diablos

Except Rubio is still only barely in double figures while Trump and Carson are destroying everyone else.
He's slowly making his way up the ranks and we still have a year until the election. A lot could change. Trump could prove to be all hype and fizzle out. Again, I think at some point this will really escalate between himself and Carson which will allow Rubio to distance himself from them all the more and run with his own platform with little competition.

Cheebo

Banned
I can't see how anyone can lolz at Rubio after his near double digit skyrocketing in NH. He can find himself in the lead there by the end of the month, easily.

He's slowly making his way up the ranks and we still have a year until the election. A lot could change. Trump could prove to be all hype and fizzle out. Again, I think at some point this will really escalate between himself and Carson which will allow Rubio to distance himself from them all the more and run with his own platform with little competition.

The establishment vote is still very much fragmented. Keep in mind here that Rubio is benefiting from a strong debate performance and positive press and still barely out polls bush and Cruz.

Like fiorina that bump is going to evaporate if he doesn't take skillful advantage of it and keep his name in the media. Nothing we've seen so far indicates Rubio can actually do this. His campaign is a mess, he's going out of his way NOT to establish ground game in primary states and his non PAC fundraising is second worst behind Bush.

Trump and Carson might flame out (and Carson will be first if so) but that audience puts HEAVY emphasis on being attracted to non politicians and political outsiders and won't be voting Rubio. Carson tanks and his voters split between Trump and Cruz.

Rubio is poorly positioned to be last man standing here, and that's ignoring that he's going to get killed on the immigration issue.

NeoXChaos

‏@chucktodd
Meanwhile, outside of Obama's campaigns in 2008 and 2012, the Dem track record everywhere else is, well, abysmal since his election.

Chuck Todd ‏@chucktodd 27m27 minutes ago
Name Dem org & it seems their GOP counterpart has either out messaged, out spent or out-maneuvered. Dem bench down ballot getting wiped out

Chuck Todd ‏@chucktodd 27m27 minutes ago
What's the answer/reason? Some will argue Team Obama never translated their expertise to the rest of party. But clearly something's wrong

Chuck Todd ‏@chucktodd 24m24 minutes ago
Possible it's about Dems failing to motivate their voters outside a prez year. But the off-years are where a party build its infrastructure

Chuck Todd ‏@chucktodd 23m23 minutes ago
Getting an array of responses to these Dem Party apparatus tweets: from too many Dems running away from him to rural-urban cultural splits

Maggie Haberman ‏@maggieNYT 4m4 minutes ago
Maggie Haberman Retweeted Chuck Todd
Dems cannot figure out how to win in any year other than a presidential

dramatis

You guys had an eventful election day.

I didn't get to vote, though the election in my district was literally just state supreme court judges (all five nominees of whom were endorsed by three parties...and in a contest for which you can vote up to five...) and a civil court county judge which probably did actually matter. It was supremely boring, and doubly so because I actually was working the polls.

Today I learned that there are so many Dems in NYC that to make the elections 'somewhat' fair from the processing side, oftentimes out of the poll workers somebody Dem would have to be picked to be the "stand in Republican" for certain procedures. Hilarious. At my polling place we had about 10 workers...only 1 Republican. When the Republican went on break, one of us drew an R on his nametag and he was the Republican for the break lol

thefro

I read something similar that Obama didn't give stuff about his campaign to other dems. That seems really stupid.

Also a lot of voters are loyal to Obama and not the party or rather they care more about Obama than his party.

That's funny because I'm on a million e-mail lists for local candidates that I never signed up to since I was on Obama's Presidential list.

HylianTom

Banned
Damn.. so Vitter has released an ad accusing Edwards of wanting to release "thugs" from prison.
http://www.politico.com/video/2015/...edwards-of-wanting-thugs-out-of-prison-030693

And Edwards, fresh off of getting the Sheriffs' Association's endorsement, has cut a commercial in response:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJitV_bemQw&feature=youtu.be

Edwards also received the Alliance for Good Government's endorsement (they usually endorse the Republican).

He's slowly inoculating himself from charges that he's an Obama clone, using endorsements of organizations that are anything but liberal. Pretty clever. Time's running out for Vitter. And a third poll showing a 20% lead came out yesterday..

I read something similar that Obama didn't give stuff about his campaign to other dems. That seems really stupid.

Also a lot of voters are loyal to Obama and not the party or rather they care more about Obama than his party.
Yup. This is going to be the first general election in forever where the Democratic incumbent will actively campaign on behalf of his successor. I hope they have Obama camped-out in a few key districts over the final two weeks.. he doesn't even need to be spread out very far - just pick two or three states and a few pivotal districts in each, and have him hop around doing public appearances.

Diablos

Damn.. so Vitter has released an ad accusing Edwards of wanting to release "thugs" from prison.
http://www.politico.com/video/2015/...edwards-of-wanting-thugs-out-of-prison-030693

And Edwards, fresh off of getting the Sheriffs' Association's endorsement, has cut a commercial in response:

Edwards also received the Alliance for Good Government's endorsement (they usually endorse the Republican).
Oh shit, that is one masterful ad from Edwards.

Konka

Banned
...and to that I say, keep winning Presidential elections while you have a plan for midterms in the works.

Yeah and it's not true everywhere. Dems had a sweeping victory in PA last night. They won all the available supreme court, superior court and commonwealth court vacancies. They were organized, out-fundraised and out-manuvered their opponents.

83% of Republicans said they would be uncomfortable with a Muslim president in that poll, what the fucking fuck.
The number is probably surprising for democrats too. The amount of demonizing that goes on in media regarding muslims is unchecked. Every bad story is reported and then some ex-cia dude is brought to the panel to explain us whats going on. Even here on gaf, the liberal commie cesspool. Saw a post from a guy saying moderate muslims are in cahoots with the extremists because if they weren't, why aren't the moderate muslims killing radical preachers? I mean holy shit fella.

Diablos

Yeah and it's not true everywhere. Dems had a sweeping victory in PA last night. They won all the available supreme court, superior court and commonwealth court vacancies. They were organized, out-fundraised and out-manuvered their opponents.
Wolf/PA Dems have been extremely organized. I got a reminder in the mail on when, who, and what I need to be voting for if I'm a Democrat in PA. It was impressive.

HylianTom

Banned
In response to the "why are you running?" question:

@BenjySarlin:
Jeb on George HW: "All he would have to say is 'I'm disappointed in you' and it would send me into a deep spiraling depression for days"

Oh shit, that is one masterful ad from Edwards.
Yup! It's pretty clear that his team knows what's coming from the RGA and Vitter in the final 2 weeks.. they're trying to cut it off at the ankles so that once Vitter lobs his "liberal/Obama" charges, voters will be skeptical.

This is what a man being forced to run for president looks like
CS0fqa0UsAAw9fL.jpg

Wolf/PA Dems have been extremely organized. I got a reminder in the mail on when, who, and what I need to be voting for if I'm a Democrat in PA. It was impressive.

Also worth mentioning is that PA is in the middle of a long and ugly budget dispute, we've had no budget for four months. Non profits and schools have run out of money and no one is happy.

Strangely enough, the state blames the (republican controlled) legislature as responsible for the impasse more than the governor by nearly 20 points which is the exact opposite of what you'd expect.

Wolf is relentless with his messaging and communication. It's a point of frustration with state republicans who lack his funding and organization.

User1608

Banned

He's slowly inoculating himself from charges that he's an Obama clone, using endorsements of organizations that are anything but liberal. Pretty clever. Time's running out for Vitter. And a third poll showing a 20% lead came out yesterday..

Yup. This is going to be the first general election in forever where the Democratic incumbent will actively campaign on behalf of his successor. I hope they have Obama camped-out in a few key districts over the final two weeks.. he doesn't even need to be spread out very far - just pick two or three states and a few pivotal districts in each, and have him hop around doing public appearances.
Damn, really hope he wins!! Rooting for you guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom