• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.
LCBkEAS.png
That looks like Trump's highest polling so far. Will the Dark Knight rise?

Bernie's ruling-out of a third-party run speaks volumes to me. That one move alone makes him miles better than the whole Nadery "there's no difference" crowd.

Not living there to suffer the fallout, I would've loved to see how Hills would react to a third party Bernie run, mind. Can't help but wonder if dems would go with a "stay the course and aim for the middle" Gore-like approach, thus risking y2k reloaded, or if she'd try to pander to the left in order to accrue his support.

Inclined to believe that they'd opt for y2kR.

Then again, i can't ever imagine The Bern saying that there's no difference between Hills and this crop of repubs.

Makai

Batman, let me do the next GOP thread. My thread seems to be a hit and I really enjoyed making it. The People demand Star Wars and it'd be fun to flip the formula of the Batman thread - The Establishment Strikes Back where Jeb and Rubio are Vader and Palpatine and the crazies are rebels. I'll do the same thing I did last time - poll PoliGAF for character opinions and then take it the rest of the way. Dem and general threads are all yours (and KK's). I don't want to do those because there's not enough people for holistic comparisons.

HylianTom

Banned
Not living there to suffer the fallout, I would've loved to see how Hills would react to a third party Bernie run, mind. Can't help but wonder if dems would go with a "stay the course and aim for the middle" Gore-like approach, thus risking y2k reloaded, or if she'd try to pander to the left in order to accrue his support.

Inclined to believe that they'd opt for y2kR.

Then again, i can't ever imagine The Bern saying that there's no difference between Hills and this crop of repubs.

If he were to do that, the ice that runs through a lot of confident folks' veins would melt in an instant (myself included, I'll be honest). The meltdowns and gnashing of teeth would be remarkable to witness. All of this confident talk of Blue Walls, demographics.. whoosh.

Jeb mentioning the unintentional consequences of time-travel regarding going back to kill baby Hitler is the only thing he's said that has made me smile in his entire campaign.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Batman, let me do the next GOP thread. My thread seems to be a hit and I really enjoyed making it. The People demand Star Wars and it'd be fun to flip the formula of the Batman thread - The Establishment Strikes Back where Jeb and Rubio are Vader and Palpatine and the crazies are rebels. I'll do the same thing I did last time - poll PoliGAF for character opinions and then take it the rest of the way. Dem and general threads are all yours (and KK's). I don't want to do those because there's not enough people for holistic comparisons.

Go for it, I've got a lot of writing to do if I want to make my deadline at the end of the year anyway. I'm still calling dibs on the general election threads though. I've put too much work into planning that to give it up. Plus I've got some great material for the conventions.

Makai

Go for it, I've got a lot of writing to do if I want to make my deadline at the end of the year anyway. I'm still calling dibs on the general election threads though. I've put too much work into planning that to give it up. Plus I've got some great material for the conventions.
Yay!

I am going to have to resist trolling everyone with Star Trek instead.

Trump - Kirk
Carson - Spock
Cruz - Bones
Jeb - Khan

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Universal health care to appear on Colorado ballot in 2016

I wonder if this would fare any better than Vermont's plans.

It's already gone past the point where it failed in Vermont. Vermont failed before they ever decided on a direction to propose for with funding. This plan is fully finished and on the ballot to be voted on.

I still have no doubt that this will fail after plenty of money goes into FUD about the program. But you have to start the fight sometime.

Konka

Banned
It's already gone past the point where it failed in Vermont. Vermont failed before they ever decided on a direction to propose for with funding. This plan is fully finished and on the ballot to be voted on.

I still have no doubt that this will fail after plenty of money goes into FUD about the program. But you have to start the fight sometime.

Colorado should try to partially fund it with that weed money.

Short story is RCP is junk. I like their news aggregator, though.
They've become a bit more respectable since this but I'll still remember them mainly for their 2000 prediction where Gore wouldn't even crack 100 EVs and the only way he could win is by winning the electoral college and losing the popular vote (how ironic). I mean look I certainly understand optimism but what planet were they living on?

teiresias

he'll get a say in the party platform (and already has obviously, with Hillary addressing his concerns). And when Warren comes around, watch out. Sanders will have a lot to show for his efforts.

I still doubt Warren ever seeks the Presidency, but I'd support her if she did (depending on the field that year of course). However, she's also been a Democrat since '96 and hasn't just become one out of necessity because of the state of American politics and its inability to support viable third parties at the federal level. So at least she's been working inside the party to push policy.

She also has that whole "reformed Republican" story going for her as well.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ben Carson's aide: Trump "desperate"

CNN said:
Washington (CNN)A top Ben Carson aide says Donald Trump "should be nervous -- and actually, desperate" over the retired brain surgeon's rise in the Republican presidential field.

Armstrong Williams, Carson's business manager, warned Trump against attacking Carson in Tuesday night's GOP debate in an interview with CNN's Jake Tapper on "The Lead," saying that doing so "would not be wise" and is "not a winning approach."

"He's pretty desperate because he cannot even understand how Dr. Carson, or anybody, is leading him in the polls," Williams said.

"He'll assume that everybody should have dropped out of the race by now. But he doesn't understand -- the race is yet to begin," he said. "And he has to earn it, nobody's going to give it to him. And if he thinks Dr. Carson is going to drop out of the race or be intimidated by his tactics, he's lost and confused. He needs a different strategy."

Williams also said that Trump "has not figured out how to deal with Dr. Carson," arguing that the real estate mogul's typical tactics have not worked in Carson's case.

He even taunted Trump about polls that now show she two neck-and-neck in the GOP primary race.

"Mr. Trump should be nervous, and actually, desperate," Williams said. "A month ago, he had a double-digit lead over Dr. Carson in South Carolina. Dr. Carson is now leading 28-27. He's closing the gaps. Mr. Trump is fond of saying that when somebody, he attacks, the numbers go down. He has not figured out how to deal with Dr. Carson."

Unleash the hounds, Trump!

@edhenry
Also hearing @SecretService agents assigned to @RealBenCarson have been told his likely Code Name will be "Eli" aka "God is the most high"

Where's Gary Whitta?

Now I'm wondering what Mrs. Carson's code name will be. "Excelsior" would be kinda neat.

I'd like to apologize to Retromelon for my outburst. I feel like I took one for the team, however, since he's reformed his forward-quoting ways.

Luckily, nothing of interest happened this past week. Right?

Konka

Banned
Where's Gary Whitta?

Now I'm wondering what Mrs. Carson's code name will be. "Excelsior" would be kinda neat.

Never forget.

The candidates answered:

1. Chris Christie — True Heart

2. John Kasich — Unit 1, adding, "My wife says, 'You'll never be Unit 1. You're Unit 2.'"

3. Carly Fiorina — Secretariat

4. Scott Walker — Harley, adding "I love riding Harleys."

5. Jeb Bush — Eveready, telling Donald Trump, "It's very high energy, Donald," followed with an awkward high-five from Trump

6. Donald Trump — Humble

7. Ben Carson — One Nation

8. Ted Cruz — Cohiba, saying it's because he's Cuban

9. Marco Rubio — Gator

10. Mike Huckabee — Duck Hunter

11. Rand Paul — Justice Never Sleeps

I talked to a self-proclaimed conservative person this weekend. Well, a california version of it (really, only economics and foreign policy wise, not social policy).

He said he think Trump will win after I told him it's likely to be a huge Hillary landslide if he's nominated. I mentioned the latino vote will sink the GOP to which he said "why? Trump hires many latinos and they love him!"

Oh my god, the bubble. The bubble!

To follow up, he said he liked Trump because he thought Trump isn't a politician and will get shit down how he wants. He'll build the wall, do this, do that, etc. He said he will be in the US what Putin is in Russia but from the other side of Obama. Oh, and Obama was Putin and he said "Obama got his entire agenda through," to which I mentioned numerous failures (Gitmo, medicaid expansion, infrastructure stimulus, numerous appointments, etc) he was confused. Oh, and I tried to explain we can't have a Putin here because of Checks and Balances but of course he didn't understand any of that.

This is sadly the average voter. Not in the sense of supporting Trump but completely ignorant of both the politics and the process of it. Sigh.

edit: I should clarify, he's actually if fine with Hillary foreign policy wise. He's literally just a Republican because he's rich. He doesn't even support Trump's wall as he's very pro immigration and thinks the illegals here should stay as long as they're not violent criminals. It's simply about his taxes. Frustrating, to say the least.

HylianTom

Banned
I talked to a self-proclaimed conservative person this weekend. Well, a california version of it (really, only economics and foreign policy wise, not social policy).

He said he think Trump will win after I told him it's likely to be a huge Hillary landslide if he's nominated. I mentioned the latino vote will sink the GOP to which he said "why? Trump hires many latinos and they love him!"

Oh my god, the bubble. The bubble!

To follow up, he said he liked Trump because he thought Trump isn't a politician and will get shit down how he wants. He'll build the wall, do this, do that, etc. He said he will be in the US what Putin is in Russia but from the other side of Obama. Oh, and Obama was Putin and he said "Obama got his entire agenda through," to which I mentioned numerous failures (Gitmo, medicaid expansion, infrastructure stimulus, numerous appointments, etc) he was confused. Oh, and I tried to explain we can't have a Putin here because of Checks and Balances but of course he didn't understand any of that.

This is sadly the average voter. Not in the sense of supporting Trump but completely ignorant of both the politics and the process of it. Sigh.

edit: I should clarify, he's actually if fine with Hillary foreign policy wise. He's literally just a Republican because he's rich. He doesn't even support Trump's wall as he's very pro immigration and thinks the illegals here should stay as long as they're not violent criminals. It's simply about his taxes. Frustrating, to say the least.

A Hillary win would break a LOT of people mentally. She is the living embodiment of everything that is evil and wrong and anti-American about the Left. She is the Wicked Witch and Satan and Your Ex-Wife, all rolled into one. For her to win would be unthinkable, as surely the American people wouldn't elect her after knowing all of the evil things she's done over the past two decades..

Obama winning in 2012 was one thing. But Hillary in 2016.. that'd be a whole new level of fresh hell.

A Hillary win would break a LOT of people mentally. She is the living embodiment of everything that is evil and wrong and anti-American about the Left. She is the Wicked Witch and Satan and Your Ex-Wife, all rolled into one. For her to win would be unthinkable, as surely the American people wouldn't elect her after knowing all of the evil things she's done over the past two decades..

Obama winning in 2012 was one thing. But Hillary in 2016.. that'd be a whole new level of fresh hell.

I think it's more basic than that. To many men, she is a reminder that the old boys club is going the way of the dinosaur. She's a woman who isn't beholden to her husband. She bucks traditional conservative gender norms, and that just can't be allowed in their world view.

All people are equal, but some are more equal than others. Rich, white, straight men are, obviously, the most equal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom