• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
Still incredibly torn on who will end-up being the antiTrump. I'll read something about Rubio and think it's him in one moment, and then Michael Steele will say something cryptic & oddly uber-confident about Jeb's behind-the-scenes organizing/connections/etc and make me wonder if he knows something..

For fun, I tried to come-up with a really tight Rubio-Kasich vs Clinton-Kaine map tonight. Generous to the GOP in some ways, generous to the Democrats in some ways.
RubioClinton.png

Imagine an Election Night where New Hampshire is called for Rubio, then Iowa for Hillary, then Colorado for Rubio, and then it all comes down to Nevada. Spoooooky!

---

And yep, Rubio is on the record on the abortion issue. That's going to be a big honkin' red flag in a general, especially for female voters in the middle.

ivysaur12

Banned
I think a Rubio/Kasich ticket would have a hard time beating Clinton/Kaine in NH. IA would be close. No clue on CO or NV. CO in general would be somewhat difficult for generic Republican.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I think when OT people are wondering why Trump / Carson / Fiorina is such a joke and why nobody thinks they could actually win the general election, they're forgetting an easy smell test:

Who does each pick to run with them down ticket?

It's such a simple question the answers reveal why they're all just so fucking absurd to believe in.

Fiorina's HP and Lucent record is so goddamn bad. I didn't realize quite how bad until I read the case study by that Yale Business School guy. Her record includes everything from piss-poor strategy to shady financial reporting to fostering terrible employee morale. And she's really supposed to be a potential leader of the free world. GTFO.

Measley

The GOP isn't taking Ohio. We've had a huge influx of minorities in every major city, and Columbus is pretty much a midwestern version of San Francisco. The only way Ohio goes red is if Kasich is the nominee, not the VP.

For fun, I tried to come-up with a really tight Rubio-Kasich vs Clinton-Kaine map tonight. Generous to the GOP in some ways, generous to the Democrats in some ways.

I see no way the Democrats lose Colorado in 2016. It would take a monumental amount of screw ups for them not to easily take it by ~5%.

The GOP isn't taking Ohio. We've had a huge influx of minorities in every major city. The only way Ohio goes red is if Kasich is the nominee, not the VP.

Basically this. He's a good shot for them to take Ohio, but only as the actual nominee. We saw how well Paul Ryan handed the GOP Wisconsin last time around...

EDIT: Also, Elizabeth Warren killed it on the Late Show. I kinda wish Bernie had gotten a mention because they run on similar ideology and people love Warren.

Wilsongt

#hotgaystove

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris..._hp_ref=gay-voices&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000050

Banners calling for religious freedom, Don't Tread on Me flags appropriated by the Tea Party, Ted Cruz campaign buttons and hands raised to Heaven in prayer dotted the plaza outside the Capitol building in Nashville on September 17 as the Tennessee Pastors Network rallied their troops for the next phase in the culture war. The Tenth Amendment was praised more often than the Ten Commandments, though most of the speakers made it clear that their cause was a holy one. Those speakers included Rafael Cruz and Joe Davis, husband of Rowan Cowan, Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis. A reporter and I counted at least forty state legislators on the stage at one point.

That is how the Tennessee Natural Marriage Defense Act was launched. The bill essentially attempts to nullify the Obergefell v. Hodges Supreme Court decision by preventing the state from recognizing any marriage other than one between a man and a woman and requiring the attorney general to defend any local official who defies the Supreme Court.

Do we think it will ultimately stand up in court? No, though the sponsors and those advising them believe it is a new path to get the issue reconsidered by the courts. And if the bill passes, I suspect we will have to endure a period of chaos in Tennessee in which random local officials around the state use the bill as an excuse to discriminate against same-sex couples already married and those seeking marriage licenses.

The other harm is that once again LGBT Tennesseans will have to endure having the value of their lives debated publicly by the state's elected leaders when the Legislature reconvenes in January.

Because the bill is harmful and because the Legislature could very well pass it, we're taking it seriously. The week of September 21, we have scheduled POWER Team training sessions in Nashville, Murfreesboro, Memphis and Knoxville with more to follow soon in Johnson City and Clarksville. These special teams will help with the media response and will drive citizen contacts with legislators. In October they will canvass key conservative legislative districts to identify as many opponents of the bill as possible. In other words, we're going to fight the bill using ordinary grassroots tactics and tactics usually reserved for elections. I am also encouraged by preliminary discussions with our lobbyist, but we expect a tough fight ahead.

Drakeon

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I see no way the Democrats lose Colorado in 2016. It would take a monumental amount of screw ups for them not to easily take it by ~5%.

Bennett is unpopular and a well respected republican like Coffman would have had a decent chance at beating him. Coffman not running probably saved Democrats a seat here.

The fact that they're honestly looking at running that attorney that prosecuted the aurora shooting case makes me think there's nothing to worry about. I'm sure someone like that does still have a chance for any contested statewide election (see Chris Christie), but I think they need someone that really knows what they're doing to take on an incumbent democrat in an election that is probably leaning democrat.

ivysaur12

Banned
Bennett is unpopular and a well respected republican like Coffman would have had a decent chance at beating him. Coffman not running probably saved Democrats a seat here.

He's a largely unknown Senator. Last time PPP polled him, he has like 30% No Opinion. Winning in 2010 is no small accomplishment, though.

Can't forgive Colorado for giving us Gardner. Iowa can get sucked up by Emergence Day too.

Gardner was also a perfect candidate in a terrible year for his opponent.

I think when OT people are wondering why Trump / Carson / Fiorina is such a joke and why nobody thinks they could actually win the general election, they're forgetting an easy smell test:

Who does each pick to run with them down ticket?

It's such a simple question the answers reveal why they're all just so fucking absurd to believe in.
I think Trump picks Cruz.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
He's a largely unknown Senator. Last time PPP polled him, he has like 30% No Opinion. Winning in 2010 is no small accomplishment, though.

He ran the exact same campaign that caused Udall to lose, solely pushing the abortion issue. I don't see how anyone can say Bennett won based off his own charisma and popularity.

Dynamics were simply different. The state's GOP party was in shambles with the candidate for governor being involved in scandal after scandal. And Ken Buck had a ton of missteps himself. Look up Dan Maes and Ken Buck on wikipedia and it shouldn't be hard to see why colorado went democrat in 2010. You don't get much worse than those two. You might as well say McCaskill is a super good politician for winning in a very red state, when her main accomplishment is helping Akin to win his primary.

ivysaur12

Banned
He ran the exact same campaign that caused Udall to lose, solely pushing the abortion issue. I don't see how anyone can say Bennett won based off his own charisma and popularity.

Dynamics were simply different. The state's GOP party was in shambles with the candidate for governor being involved in scandal after scandal. And Ken Buck had a ton of missteps himself. Look up Dan Maes and Ken Buck on wikipedia and it shouldn't be hard to see why colorado went democrat in 2010. You don't get much worse than those two. You might as well say McCaskill is a super good politician for winning in a very red state, when her main accomplishment is helping Akin to win his primary.

At some level, it has to be part of the candidate to go against the national mood. Bennet isn't really "unpopular" as much as he unknown, like Burr. The statement that "Bennett is unpopular" isn't really the whole story, if we're to use the latest polling as a general barometer. His last QPac poll had him at 41/34 approval. That's not "unpopular".

And McCaskill is a super good politician. She's probably, like, one of the best politicians in the Senate, in terms of someone you wouldn't want to underestimate in an election.

I wonder just how much of a draw Rubio would be in Florida. He got lucky in 2010, getting a 3-way race in an awful year for Democrats (still the greatest example of mass idiocy I've seen in my lifetime, but I'm trying to watch my blood pressure, so I'll stop there). Could Rubio have won a Florida Senate seat in 2008 or 2012?

Quinnipiac Poll

I wonder just how much of a draw Rubio would be in Florida. He got lucky in 2010, getting a 3-way race in an awful year for Democrats (still the greatest example of mass idiocy I've seen in my lifetime, but I'm trying to watch my blood pressure, so I'll stop there). Could Rubio have won a Florida Senate seat in 2008 or 2012?

id say yeah, FL dems arent exactly invicible, plus Rubio always had a great story/charisma etc. It was only time for him to move up imo

HylianTom

Banned
Given how close Florida has been in the past few cycles, I tend to think that if Rubio gives the GOP even just the slightest of nudges, then they'd have a slight-but-distinct edge if he's on the ticket.

Hillary could contest it with him on the ticket (and I bet she would, if only to force him to spend time & money in defense of such an expensive/broad state), but if she wins Florida, then we know she's likely winning other states elsewhere to the point where she won't even need it.

And Trump's on Morning Joe right now, complaining about Fox News. He'll be calling-in all over TV this morning, apparently.

GnawtyDog

Banned
A ton of people have moved from Puerto Rico to Florida since 2012 due to Puerto Rico's economy being awful, so that's the big wildcard in Florida for 2016.

Dems are trying to get them registered in Florida as they lean Democratic.

Their numbers are slim. They won't matter. In Florida the biggest thing is getting people out to vote. GOP has their base on lock in terms of turnout. Reminds me that a "senior center" is my assigned polling place. Too damn convenient for the GOP base. Not that my county will turn blue, they always vote overwhelmingly red but still - you get the picture.

The kid is probably lying for three reasons:

1) If the POTUS Twitter account were routinely blocking people, we'd hear about it A LOT.

2) Why would this little twerp be the first to be blocked by them? That account probably gets all sorts of incendiary and threatening bullshit tweeted at it on a regular basis - stuff far worse than some dumb pestering bullshit from an Obama-hating teenager.

3) I'd imagine the Secret Service probably uses that Twitter account to monitor threats against the president. For that reason, it doesn't make sense that they'd be blocking people. It would only make it harder for them to be notified of threatening tweets.

Slacker

So there's this 13 year old Conservative name C.J Pearson, who was upset that Obama blocked him on Twitter. Anybody hear about that?

After watching his video it wouldn't surprise me that he thinks Obama blocked him on twitter. I bet he thinks if the mail comes 20 minutes late, Obama personally made it happen to piss him off. Of course he's just a kid, so it's not a crime that he has no idea how anything works.

Now if he were a full grown adult who spent a significant part of his adult life in politics and didn't, say, understand how the Supreme Court works for example, that would be a little concerning. Or if he wanted to vote to repeal Obamacare dozens of times despite the fact that the President would obviously veto the repeal if it made it that far. Or if he thought our military was in trouble because we don't have some arbitrary number of tanks ready to deploy. Or if he thought it should be illegal to based American government on Sharia Law but be OK making laws based on the Bible.

All THAT would be troubling. Thank goodness he's just a kid and will learn and grow with more experience.

benjipwns

Banned
The nonpartisan, nonprofit Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD)
lolololololololololololol

Seems like the same kinda argument that would be used to get rid of the FDA.

It works, until you realize, y'know, the human cost associated with finding out that a doctor is terrible.
Which is why drivers licenses prevent bad drivers. (And police officers never are terrible.)

And the FDA would never approve and then stonewall studies against Vioxx. Then reapprove it. (Canada reapproved it 12-1!)

The actual best part of the Vioxx story is the class action lawyers almost throwing the settlement out the window because they were only going to get $300 million out of the $5 billion settlement. Luckily, a judge intervened and found that $1.6 billion was a more appropriate amount of the settlement being legal fees.

The people pushing unlicensed doctors are never the people who will have to go to unlicensed doctors. Same thing with most regulation - they're never going to live downriver from a chemical spill, have to move into an apartment with a shitty foundation because of a lack of building codes, and so on, and so forth.
Yeah, we have places for those other people like Pruitt-Igoe and Cabrini–Green.

Why would this little twerp be the first to be blocked by them? That account probably gets all sorts of incendiary and threatening bullshit tweeted at it on a regular basis - stuff far worse than some dumb pestering bullshit from an Obama-hating teenager.
I doubt even the Secret Service bothers to read the other end of the twitter feed.

I'm surprised they bother retweeting John Kerry.

It's so strange to see people twist and squirm on how to "fix" healthcare without even looking at the big fucking glaring problem: profits.

fqvbLBi.jpg
I have no idea what this chart is supposed to be telling me in regards to the problems of health care provision.

The CEO of Goodwill earns $3+ million in salary, and they're a non-profit. He gets almost 4% of their expenses. Wayne Smith gets less than less than 1% of CHS's revenue. .004%.

(I picked him over say the CEO of fucking J&J, and Schleifer of Regeneron because like many smaller pharma companies he's the founder and they make all their money off of basically 1-2 drugs and he makes his money off the stock.)

We'll let the doctors keep their licenses because licenses from the state are magical, but heaven forbid we ever talk about cartels.

When do we get even 10% of people aware of Certificates of Need? No, no, best to let current health care providers and regulators decide how much new competition and services are "needed" in an area. I foresee zero impacts on costs. Not a one.

Literally zero. Okay? And I've talked to everybody, don't listen to just me, I've talked to the biggest and best experts on this and they all tell me the same thing. Okay? This isn't just a problem, it's a problem. Okay? A disaster! I've seen it first hand, doing my youuge business deals, and we're going to make a great deal, not a bad one like the Kurds got, they have been horribly mistreated by the way, just terribly mistreated, but then these nonsense issues pop-up and it's no wonder nobody in Washington knows how to make a good deal. It's a disaster. We're getting our butts kicked. Okay? I don't think in America anyone should be forced to make a bad deal, I know it's not impossible to make good deals, ask anyone about my history, I've made the biggest and best deals in history, but it's too hard for some people, especially when Mexico and China are kicking our butts, so we need to negotiate a great deal that allows everyone to make great deals.

Woah, sorry there, I don't know what happened. I'd see a doctor about it but how can I trust someone in bed with the state? I'll continue to self-medicate thank you very much.

ivysaur12

Banned
Just going to leave this here.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...-gay-marriage-ruling_56031472e4b00310edf9e6b0

With less than two weeks before the start of the new Supreme Court session, Justice Antonin Scalia is still lamenting Obergefell v. Hodges, the June ruling that legalized same-sex marriage nationwide.

At a Tuesday speech at Rhodes College, which his grandson attends, the justice blasted the decision, calling it the "furthest imaginable extension of the Supreme Court doing whatever it wants," according to The Associated Press.

Scalia dissented in the case, accusing the court of being a "threat to democracy" and the justices who ruled for a constitutional right to marriage for gay couples the "Ruler of 320 million Americans coast-to-coast."

The speech at Rhodes seemed to signal that his dismay over gay marriage continues.

"Saying that the Constitution requires that practice, which is contrary to the religious beliefs of many of our citizens," Scalia said, "I don't know how you can get more extreme than that."

He added, "I worry about a court that's headed in that direction."

The speech came as part of the college's observance of Constitution Day, a statutory initiative schools use for educational programs and civics lessons on citizenship and the Constitution.

But rather than celebrate the founding document, Scalia appeared to decry its destruction by his colleagues on the court.

"Do you really want your judges to rewrite the Constitution?" he pondered. He bemoaned that the court was made up of no more than "lawyers" who are "terribly unrepresentative of our country," according to the Commercial Appeal, a Memphis-based news outlet.

Scalia said there was nothing in his legal education at one of America's top law schools that makes him especially qualified to decide some of the hotly debated issues that reach the court.

"What is it that I learned at Harvard Law School that makes me peculiarly qualified to determine such profound moral and ethical questions as whether there should be a right to abortion, whether there should be same-sex marriage, whether there should be a right to suicide?" he asked, according to the AP. "It has nothing to do with the law. Even Yale Law School doesn't teach that stuff."

Scalia also used the speech and a question-and-answer session with students to address controversial subjects such as the death penalty and U.S. drone strikes against Americans in the Middle East.

Scalia didn't seem to have a problem with the latter issue.

"I think, if that person has taken up arms against the United States, what's the difference between allowing our soldiers to shoot him dead and allowing a drone to kill him?" he said.

ivysaur12

Banned
Double post but holy shit

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/...ged-highly-vulnerable-in-runoff-election.html

-Vitter has become quite unpopular, with only 34% of voters rating him favorably to 51% with a negative opinion of him. A year ago at this time 46% of voters approved of the job he was doing to just 35% who disapproved. Most striking is how sour even Republicans have gotten on him- only 46% rate him favorably to 44% who see him negatively. And he’s quite unpopular with both independents (30/52) and Democrats (24/58).

-Vitter is still well positioned to make the runoff election. His 27% standing is just behind 28% for John Bel Edwards, but well ahead of the 15% and 14% Scott Angelle and Jay Dardenne respectively are receiving. Among voters who are undecided for Governor, only 24% have a favorable opinion of Vitter to 49% with an unfavorable one, suggesting he may not have a lot of room to gain either.

-When it comes to the runoff election Vitter trails Edwards 50/38, a massive turn around from a year ago when Vitter led that match up 50/32. 28% of Republican voters even say right now that they would vote for Edwards before they would vote for Vitter. Other Republicans fare better than Vitter in match ups against Edwards- Dardenne leads him 42/40, while Angelle ties at 40%.

-Vitter is especially struggling with women. Only 28% have a favorable opinion of him to 54% with a negative one, and he trails Edwards 57/30 head to head with them.

These numbers make it clear that the landscape around the Louisiana Gubernatorial race has changed dramatically. A year ago Vitter looked like a clear favorite but he’s become very unpopular in the time since, and now it appears that there is a very good chance he will be defeated this fall.

Could just be noise. But also

David-Vitter-diaperboy_400x400.jpg

Slacker

Scalia dissented in the case, accusing the court of being a "threat to democracy" and the justices who ruled for a constitutional right to marriage for gay couples the "Ruler of 320 million Americans coast-to-coast."

The speech at Rhodes seemed to signal that his dismay over gay marriage continues.

"Saying that the Constitution requires that practice, which is contrary to the religious beliefs of many of our citizens," Scalia said, "I don't know how you can get more extreme than that."
Freakin' Scalia, man, I swear. First, he knows it's not mandatory, right? We're not going to force you to get gay married, Anton.

And does he really think the Court is supposed to rule based on the religious beliefs of many of our citizens? I refuse to believe that he's that stupid.

Which is why drivers licenses prevent bad drivers. (And police officers never are terrible.)

And the FDA would never approve and then stonewall studies against Vioxx. Then reapprove it. (Canada reapproved it 12-1!)

You usually try a little harder than that, benj.

I said we shouldve gone with "is this from the onion?"

benjipwns

Banned
To be honest, I brought up the Vioxx example more to mention the legal fees thing. "Hold on here, the injured parties are getting too much of this settlement!"

benjipwns

Banned
U.S. drone strikes against Americans in the Middle East.

Scalia didn't seem to have a problem with the latter issue.

"I think, if that person has taken up arms against the United States, what's the difference between allowing our soldiers to shoot him dead and allowing a drone to kill him?" he said.
Due process?

Oh wait, I forgot about the New Professionalism. My apologies Justice Scalia.

These kind of arguments always make me think of some libertarian thinking he's got a pulled his trap card or something. When it says nothing but that licenses aren't perfect. Nobody say they are but they do reduce risk, create safer drivers, provide a better police forces (even though they still make racists decisions and need far more reform, studies have shown they're better than the general public for evaluating risk)

Every time this topic comes up it seems as if libertarians can point out on failure or lack of perfecting while simultaneously pointig out a single success of no regulation they've checked mated liberals and disproven the regulatory state!

benjipwns

Banned
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...s-the-fcc-to-fine-a-critical-fox-news-pundit/
Donald Trump is still refusing to appear on the Fox News Channel — but apparently his self-imposed boycott doesn't prohibit watching the channel's shows.

Trump exploded on Twitter on Wednesday night after National Review editor Rich Lowry appeared on Fox and used some rather, well, colorful language to describe exactly how Carly Fiorina bested Trump at last week's Republican presidential debate.

"Let's be honest: Carly cut his balls off with the precision of a surgeon — and he knows it," Lowry said on "The Kelly File."

Host Megyn Kelly was shocked. "You can't say that!" she said, before covering her eyes with a hand. "You can't say that."

Trump quickly exploded on Twitter and wrote in a tweet: "Incompetent @RichLowry lost it tonight on @FoxNews. He should not be allowed on TV and the FCC should fine him!"

And then: "@FoxNews owes me an apology for allowing clueless pundit @RichLowry to use such foul language on TV. Unheard of!"

"I love how Mr. Anti-PC now wants the FCC to fine me," Lowry tweeted, adding a hashtag: #pathetic. He then posed this question to Trump: "So it's OK for you to insult Carly's looks, but you can't handle me describing what happened to you in the debate?" Lowry then answered that question himself: "Man, you can dish it out but you REALLY, REALLY can't take it."

Lowry finally threw up a white flag and offered this tweeted compromise: "A deal for you, Donald: if you apologize to Carly for your boorish insult, I might stop noting how she cut your b**** off."

The Donald, meanwhile, plugged that he will appear on MSNBC and CNN first thing in the morning.

"What is it that I learned at Harvard Law School that makes me peculiarly qualified to determine such profound moral and ethical questions as whether there should be a right to abortion, whether there should be same-sex marriage, whether there should be a right to suicide?" he asked, according to the AP. "It has nothing to do with the law. Even Yale Law School doesn't teach that stuff."
dude should resign if he doesn't feel qualified to do his job.

I mean they've been debating these questions since the beginning of the constitution and they've been greatly increased by the addition to the constitution of the 14 amendment that directly provoked these questions.

benjipwns

Banned
These kind of arguments always make me think of some libertarian thinking he's got a pulled his trap card or something. When it says nothing but that licenses aren't perfect. Nobody say they are but they do reduce risk, create safer drivers, provide a better police forces...
Every time this topic comes up it seems as if libertarians can point out on failure or lack of perfecting while simultaneously pointig out a single success of no regulation they've checked mated [progressives] and disproven the regulatory state!
No, it's that progressives pretend that state mandated/restricted licenses are anything but a protection racket.

Licensed drivers commit the vast vast majority of accidents. Where's the evidence that licensed drivers are safer and reduce risk more than unlicensed ones? You can't compare it because the latter can't be counted except when they do something wrong.

More importantly is taking into account that the mere act of criminalizing unlicensed behavior skews the data. Hence commercial retailers of schedule one drugs are so often criminals and thus more willing to engage in risky and criminal behavior unrelated to their unlicensed commerce.

A solider killing affords him due process?
If you don't understand the difference between near-immediate self-defense in person and murdering innocent Americans from the sky on a whim I can't help you or Justice Scalia.

Vlad

Licensed drivers commit the vast vast majority of accidents. Where's the evidence that licensed drivers are safer and reduce risk more than unlicensed ones? You can't compare it because the latter can't be counted except when they do something wrong.

I'd be curious to see where you got your numbers. Wouldn't licensed drivers be in more accidents because most drivers are licensed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom