• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
If the publicans win the presidency hyliantoms tag should be permanently changed to it almost isnt fair
That'd be.. fair. =)

(Could it be linked to a picture of Burgess Meredith from the "Time Enough At Last" episode of The Twilight Zone?)
Time_Enough_at_Last1.jpg

Whatever happened to the unbridled optimism for 2016 in poligaf, once expressed by such cheeky posts like this:
0yCmtKQ.png

It almost isn't fair

There's no guarantee of this. If the economy flops or scandal breaks out, Obama won't be on the campaign trail. We saw this in 2014, 2008, and 2000 - when things are bad, the president is not on the campaign trail much (or at all). Hell, Bill Clinton might not even be much of an asset either by 2016. Lets not forget Clinton's camp was afraid that Bill's recent extramarital escapades would come to light in 2008. Obama took her out before that became an issue. If she's the nominee for 2016 it's going to come out, and be a story. And if the media's handling of this email nonsense is any indicator, we'll once again see breathless nonstop coverage.

Repeal FOIA? What?

If this were one of those FOIA-being-used-to-hassle-climate-scientists situations, that'd be one thing. But enabling the public to access official government records is the very purpose of FOIA.

EDIT: And, from a closer reading, it doesn't even look like the emails themselves have been provided. It's just a log identifying e-mails that are being withheld--as Politico puts it, "[t]he filing . . . describes about a dozen Benghazi-related emails that were withheld in whole or in part as State responded to one of the group's requests[.]" Again, what's the injustice here that could justify repealing FOIA?

I agree with you of FOIA. Brb gonna vomit

But on a side note I do feel reporters get a little bit annoying when. They request 100,000 things and bitch it takes awhile to get them or they get charged. Not only on this. I mean there are some legitimate complaints but I see to many people bitching about a two month delay.

Oh and not only should FOIA not be repealed it should be expanded to Congress.

ivysaur12

Banned
Fucking repeal FOIA, holy fuck, this is insane. It's nothing but trash.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/09/clinton-emails-benghazi-213940

After Sullivan derided State's approach as "business as usual," Justice Department attorney Elizabeth Shapiro insisted that State's 63.5-member FOIA processing staff has

Elizabeth Shapiro insisted that State's 63.5-member FOIA processing staff has

63.5-member FOIA processing staff

wat

Repeal FOIA? What?

If this were one of those FOIA-being-used-to-hassle-climate-scientists situations, that'd be one thing. But enabling the public to access official government records is the very purpose of FOIA.

EDIT: And, from a closer reading, it doesn't even look like the emails themselves have been provided. It's just a log identifying e-mails that are being withheld--as Politico puts it, "[t]he filing . . . describes about a dozen Benghazi-related emails that were withheld in whole or in part as State responded to one of the group's requests[.]" Again, what's the injustice here that could justify repealing FOIA?

I really, really hope Jack's recent anti FOIA thing is just an act.

FOIA is super-important to our country.

There's no guarantee of this. If the economy flops or scandal breaks out, Obama won't be on the campaign trail. We saw this in 2014, 2008, and 2000 - when things are bad, the president is not on the campaign trail much (or at all). Hell, Bill Clinton might not even be much of an asset either by 2016. Lets not forget Clinton's camp was afraid that Bill's recent extramarital escapades would come to light in 2008. Obama took her out before that became an issue. If she's the nominee for 2016 it's going to come out, and be a story. And if the media's handling of this email nonsense is any indicator, we'll once again see breathless nonstop coverage.
Man you have been hoping for an Obama administration scandal since the day he was sworn in haven't you? It ain't gonna happen.

Maledict

Man you have been hoping for an Obama administration scandal since the day he was sworn in haven't you? It ain't gonna happen.

To be fair to him, the Clinton marital stuff *was* a big thing in 2008, and one of the big reasons why the establishment didn't line up behind her. If you believe the campaign books, even Hilary's own team had identified a number of relationships he's had since leaving the White House.

hopefully its nothing at all.

Ah yes, another "end of Trump" call that was fucking wrong!
The nutcases (Trump, Carson, Fiorina and Cruz) all amount to 61% of the vote.

But yes let's keep pretending that an establishment figure like Rubio or Bush is going to soak up all their support.

Maledict said:
To be fair to him, the Clinton marital stuff *was* a big thing in 2008, and one of the big reasons why the establishment didn't line up behind her. If you believe the campaign books, even Hilary's own team had identified a number of relationships he's had since leaving the White House.

I'm sure Clinton's been getting as much side action as he did when he was president. I'm talking about PD's insistence that a big scandal in the Obama administration is going to break any moment now. Much like how he predicted there would be an October surprise that would give Romney a Hail Mary in Ohio, thus winning him the election (discounting that the term "Hail Mary" is used to describe a desperate move in a near-hopeless situation, which I guess would have been Romney's campaign at that point)

The whole "lets pass a freedom of information bill but keep congress right the fuck outta this" bit.

It's like, we third worlders like to dream that stuff woulda been different up there. Then along comes something like that and it all comes crashing down. You're destroying our hopes, mang.

Won't lie, woulda been absolutely amazing to see Hills pull a Sarkozy as soon as she gets the job.

Did not expect Carson to keep rising after the debate but I suppose he's been throwing lots of red meat to the base since then.

By all accounts Carson has been FOX's darling the last month or so and now his poll numbers are going up. Now wonder Trump threw another fit.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
By all accounts Carson has been FOX's darling the last month or so and now his poll numbers are going up. Now wonder Trump threw another fit.

They're setting it up to be Carson as the GOP nomination. It's their goal right now. I expect it to make Trump run third-party.

His favorables are so large that he'd have a good shot in the general election.

NeoXChaos

Plinko when you are dead set on your predictions you don't back down. :D

Carson is a terrible general election candidate with little chance of being nominated let alone win.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Plinko when you are dead set on your predictions you don't back down. :D

Carson is a terrible general election candidate with little chance of being nominated let alone win.

I 100% agree. The base on the right is so fired up right now they aren't even thinking about that.

So in my economics class the other day, one of the more conservative students brought up the idea of getting rid of licensing for doctors in order to reduce healthcare costs. Initially, I thought this was a very fringe position (like Benji level fringe), but apparently Milton Friedman was really into the idea arguing that people and the companies that hire doctors would just have much better incentives to make sure the doctors were actually qualified. That seems likely to me to just end up basically as a private licensing scheme, and I have to question if getting licenses even registers on the scale of costs contributing to health care costs. There's a very good argument that many state governments require too many licenses, for things such as hairdressers, etc., but those aren't really concerned with safety. Even if the licenses became to be issued in a private system, there could easily be a profit incentive to cut corners. The whole idea still just blows my mind. Then there's the Austrian supporters that think Friedman was too mainstream lol.

Seems like the same kinda argument that would be used to get rid of the FDA.

It works, until you realize, y'know, the human cost associated with finding out that a doctor is terrible.

The incentive for interested companies in finding betterest doctors exists regardless of licenses.

So in my economics class the other day, one of the more conservative students brought up the idea of getting rid of licensing for doctors in order to reduce healthcare costs. Initially, I thought this was a very fringe position (like Benji level fringe), but apparently Milton Friedman was really into the idea arguing that people and the companies that hire doctors would just have much better incentives to make sure the doctors were actually qualified. That seems likely to me to just end up basically as a private licensing scheme, and I have to question if getting licenses even registers on the scale of costs contributing to health care costs. There's a very good argument that many state governments require too many licenses, for things such as hairdressers, etc., but those aren't really concerned with safety. Even if the licenses became to be issued in a private system, there could easily be a profit incentive to cut corners. The whole idea still just blows my mind. Then there's the Austrian supporters that think Friedman was too mainstream lol.

Or we could use the many different health care models that have already been proven to bring down the costs...

Back from a quick hiatus and I'm keeping my prediction with trump. Rubio is my establishment dark horse.

Also the discussion on nothing sure was something.

Put me down for Rubio.
Seems like the same kinda argument that would be used to get rid of the FDA.

It works, until you realize, y'know, the human cost associated with finding out that a doctor is terrible.

The incentive for interested companies in finding betterest doctors exists regardless of licenses.

Yeah, that's why there's a huge difference between some types of licenses. It's not a big deal if you get a bad haircut. Getting a bad doctor might not end up to great...

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

It really annoys me that people forget that profit motives often increase costs. Where do people think the money comes from to pay out those profits?

NeoXChaos

Back from a quick hiatus and I'm keeping my prediction with trump. Rubio is my establishment dark horse.

Also the discussion on nothing sure was something.

Put me down for Rubio.

Yeah, that's why there's a huge difference between some types of licenses. It's not a big deal if you get a bad haircut. Getting a bad doctor might not end up to great...

no problem fellows. You have been added and noted.

User1608

Banned
http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidne...ldnt-be-surprised-if-supreme-court#.ih1eQGkE7

The next presidential election could decide if we continue to be a barbarous nation and kill people
Would be great. I used to be for it... But one innocent death is far too many. I am forever opposed to the death penalty as a result; I changed my mind on this matter about a year ago.

Anyway, on a lighter note (on the game), I am totally picking Marco Rubio. I'm a believer he'll be the nominee.

It's so strange to see people twist and squirm on how to "fix" healthcare without even looking at the big fucking glaring problem: profits.

fqvbLBi.jpg

And then there is unregulated price-gouging that goes inside hospitals, like a $40 advil pill.

The people pushing unlicensed doctors are never the people who will have to go to unlicensed doctors. Same thing with most regulation - they're never going to live downriver from a chemical spill, have to move into an apartment with a shitty foundation because of a lack of building codes, and so on, and so forth.

Deregulation is just another cost shifted to the poor.

Rubio is DOA. He just looks shiny because he hasn't been under scrutiny and he can deliver nicely packaged soundbites. No exception for rape or incest? Fuck off, asshole.

HylianTom

Banned
I'll give him a C+ for effort, but I was not impressed. His American accent was evident all over that diction.
I'm stuck with the memory of hearing my classmates in Spanish 102 twangin' their way through their sentences, so I readily admit that I'm much more easily impressed, lol..

Meanwhile, the NOLA folks in my twitter timeline are giggling at the fact that Jindal (along with Santorum & Graham) has received precisely ZERO voters in the latest Fox News poll.
(well, they're giggling at that, and then grousing at yet another boil water advisory.. #ThirdWorld)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom