• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can he put the Senate Immigration Reform Bill from 2013 on the floor or is that expired from the previous Congress?
It has to be reintroduced (I'm sure it has) to go through committee unless the rules are suspended I think. But Bohner can do that, or whatever speaker.

pigeon

Banned
So yeah. I think it's pretty clear this is a government shutdown solution.

Boehner needs to keep the government open, or it'll be a disaster for the GOP presidential candidates. The professional politicians will be forced to take positions on an issue with no good answers. Meanwhile the crazies will happily align against PP and do even better in the primaries. Trump will probably do both at the same time.

However, there's a genuine threat to Boehner from the right wing if he tries to push the spending bill through. Normally he'd defuse that by allowing a brief shutdown, but the political cost to the party would be too great this time. But if Boehner needs Democrats both for the CR and to keep his job afterwards, they have twice as much leverage and can try to force even more concessions.

This removes that pressure on both sides. If Boehner is already quitting, there's neither pressure for the right wing to threaten his job nor pressure from the Democrats in return for saving it.

As always, while crazy at first glance, this is probably the strategy that minimizes compromise from the GOP position while still accomplishing required governmental tasks.

Good night, sweet orange prince.

benjipwns

Banned
You'd think Boehner was Nelson fucking Rockefeller from the way people are talking about him. If he was in the Presidential race he'd probably be to the "right" of Cruz and Santorum.

If he puts up a clean CR to avoid shutdown and bad press, the GOP is just pushing the crazy can down the road. It probably won't matter as much after the presidential race, but it feels like the crazy is coming at some point.

Crisco

Banned
This has got to be the best "lame duck" term of any President ever. Not only has he pushed through tons of substantive policy, he's making his opponents with a Congressional majority rage quit.

benjipwns

Banned
No way Boehner is to the right of Cruz. Santorum's more complicated.
Him and Cruz literally agree on pretty much everything except Cruz is wishy-washy on the drug war for a conservative Republican, he voted for lessening the mandatory minimums and has at times talked about marijuana vis a vis states rights. Boehner's all about making that extra super illegal.

Of course, Boehner's also been in Congress for 24 years vs. 4. So he's had more time to harden his position and stiffen up on issues.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Boehner needs to keep the government open, or it'll be a disaster for the GOP presidential candidates. The professional politicians will be forced to take positions on an issue with no good answers. Meanwhile the crazies will happily align against PP and do even better in the primaries. Trump will probably do both at the same time.

However, there's a genuine threat to Boehner from the right wing if he tries to push the spending bill through. Normally he'd defuse that by allowing a brief shutdown, but the political cost to the party would be too great this time. But if Boehner needs Democrats both for the CR and to keep his job afterwards, they have twice as much leverage and can try to force even more concessions.

This removes that pressure on both sides. If Boehner is already quitting, there's neither pressure for the right wing to threaten his job nor pressure from the Democrats in return for saving it.

As always, while crazy at first glance, this is probably the strategy that minimizes compromise from the GOP position while still accomplishing required governmental tasks.

Pretty much, he's basically giving his political life for the sake of the presidental candidates. Unfortunately unless we get someone willing to deal as the next speaker, or a Dem House, we'll be in trouble down the road.

Great way to wake up this morning. Wow, with Boehner going, I wonder which nutbag will take his place.

It's not going to be a nutbag. It will be another establishment guy.

The problem is that this is going to be a hugely empowering victory for the far-right lunatics in the House GOP. That's what's really scary about the situation.

I like your analysis.

Him and Cruz literally agree on pretty much everything except Cruz is wishy-washy on the drug war for a conservative Republican, he voted for lessening the mandatory minimums and has at times talked about marijuana vis a vis states rights. Boehner's all about making that extra super illegal.

Just as one example, Boehner pushed hard for the Ex-Im Bank to be authorized and Cruz was against it. Boehner is consistently trying to reign in the radical Republicans that were elected in 2010 and later and Cruz is always egging them on.

benjipwns

Banned
One's a parliamentary party leader and the other's in a body where your personal career means more than anything else. And he was in the minority for half of it.

Boehner's got 20 years worth of House votes before he became Speaker.

benjipwns

Banned
Jeb! Ahhhhh, defender of the climate science: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qac9VrAstN0

EDIT: Oh, Santorum agrees:
“The church has gotten it wrong a few times on science, and I think that we probably are better off leaving science to the scientists and focusing on what we're really good at, which is theology and morality,” Santorum said. "When we get involved with political and controversial scientific theories, I think the church is not as forceful and credible."

User1608

Banned
It's not going to be a nutbag. It will be another establishment guy.

The problem is that this is going to be a hugely empowering victory for the far-right lunatics in the House GOP. That's what's really scary about the situation.
Hah hah, sorry. My natural assumption was that it would be one due to all the shenanigans from the last few years. But yeah, I was also thinking about how much bolder these wackos could become. It really sucks. Can't believe we'll likely be dealing with them for years to come, as if the last 4-5 years weren't enough of a setback.

Jeb!'s statement on black people is so terrible and I can't believe someone on his team thought it'd actually get him some brownie points.
Its a Republican facebook meme that's gone out of control. Romney said the exact similar thing after he got thrashed in 2012, that Obama won by essentially bribing black people with free stuff in return for their vote on election night.

One's a parliamentary party leader and the other's in a body where your personal career means more than anything else. And he was in the minority for half of it.

Boehner's got 20 years worth of House votes before he became Speaker.

Now you're mixing their position in with their beliefs. Which makes Boehner even more of a moderate figure since its the conservatives, including Ted Cruz, who are celebrating him leaving. Cruz to social conservatives:

"You want to know how much you terrify Washington? Yesterday, John Boehner was the speaker of the House."

HylianTom

Banned
I really wish there could be an ad campaign next year - mix Boehner's resignation in with the montages of quotes from this campaign thus far - where it's pounded into voters heads that there is no place in the GOP for moderates.

And Jeb's "free stuff" line is just "welfare queen" translated from 1984ese to 2016ish.

Jeb!'s statement on black people is so terrible and I can't believe someone on his team thought it'd actually get him some brownie points.

Its amazing that we keep hearing this stuff. It pisses off black people who are sympathetic to Republicans. Sean Adams is a conservative black sports talk guy in Austin and he's been blasting Jeb! about it. My favorite:

Wow, how dumb of @JebBush to insult black voters with this mess. “Free Stuff” - like centuries of unpaid labor?

ivysaur12

Banned

That was my first thought as well.

Jeb has had about how many, 6 controversies so far in the span of 3 months? Guy just shambles from one stupid thing to another. Seriously jeb is the worst.

benjipwns

Banned
Boehner needs to keep the government open so they can finish the investigation into Hillary's e-mails so that she can make arraignments to serve her prison sentence until President Biden commutes her sentence.

Man, I'm learning to not go to subscribed threads first before visiting the sub-forums.

I come in here and see you guys casually talking about Boehner's resignation and I'm like, WTF? He resigned?!!!

Anyway, this is definitely unexpected news, and I'm not even sure if we can consider it good news. In fact, it seems a bit foreboding.

benjipwns

Banned
Chuck Todd says it's over:
Friday’s “Morning Joe.” said:
Joe Scarborough: What’s the feeling inside the Clinton camp? How low can this go, and what’s the plan to stem the bleeding?

Chuck Todd: I don’t know if they have a plan to stem the bleeding right now. I think part of it is to put her out there more. You know, I’ve got her on the show this Sunday. I think she’s doing a town hall with the “Today” show a week later. That seems to be part of their plan.

Scarborough: How bad do those numbers look to you, Chuck?

Todd: I saw them yesterday, and I said, ‘Double digits? She’s down double digits in New Hampshire?’ Can we take a minute here and realize Hillary Clinton is down double digits to Bernie Sanders? … I thought I was misreading it. I know he’s doing well in New Hampshire.

Scarborough: Sixteen points. Sixteen points.

Todd: That’s an astounding number. You take Biden out, and he’s still ahead. I mean, you combine Clinton and Biden, and Sanders is still ahead.
Does she pull out of NH and Iowa and try to go all in on SC and UltraTuesday?

Is she going to be able to keep fundraising and hold onto the superdelegates this time trying to run from behind after two savage defeats?

I think next week is really going to start the Joementium, especially in the wake of The Pope's visit.

The timing definitely wasn't a coincidence.

It was the very first thing I thought of when I read that he was resigning.
I think he's just using that as a pretense. Come on. You really think the Pope's magic words worked on him? This is the party trying to not "fuck everything up". He just used the pope as an excuse for the media. I'm sure there's lot of backstabbing and fistfights going in the back room.

benjipwns

Banned
The Donald speaks:
“I think it's time. It's time,” Trump said on the sidelines of the Values Voters Summit in Washington. “But it's a good thing. It’s time. I think it's time for him, it's probably time for the party, it's time for everybody."

teiresias

No doubt this about funding the government, but how long is he actually delaying the crazies further hurting the party with a shutdown? It will be a CR that passes, not a budget. How long will the CR be? Until December? Then they're right back where they started.

Not to mention there will be a fiscal year roll over just before the presidential election anyway, with another chance to look like morons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom