• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

"They cut open a fetus and harvested organs! ABORTION IS WRONG"

"Well, yeah, they cut open an unviable fetus that was likely a miscarriage, but it wasn't an abortion and the narrative around the video is factually wrong."

"But it's not wrong because they cut open a fetus! I stand factually correct because the video shows 'some people' cutting open a fetus!"

It's not even that. It's a person talking about cutting open an unrelated fetus recorded over a miscarried fetus that is not cut open.

pigeon

Banned
"No more nor less accurate" != "more or less accurate"

Fiorina's description of the video she was describing is inaccurate in the ways that I've already noted. APK's new information doesn't make her description of the video she described any less accurate.

There's a difference between "more or less accurate" and "no more accurate and no more inaccurate than it already was". The former accounting for small margins of error, the latter asserting that there had been no new information about the accuracy of her statements since the last time this was discussed.

This is a case where delineating semantics are absolutely essential to understanding the argument.

maxresdefault.jpg

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
What she said is not accurate, regardless of how semantic you want to get. New information makes what she said even more inaccurate. The video she talks of does not exist.

Quote the part of what Fiorina said that is rendered less accurate by the new information.

And I agree with you. What she said is not accurate. I've pointed to the precise points on which it is inaccurate. None of those points is that the video doesn't exist.

If I said, "Remember that movie where Darth Vader says, 'Luke, I am your father'?", would your response be, "No such movie exists you're a liar move along now!" Or would you say, "You mean Empire Strikes Back? That's not what he says, though, by the way."

To be clear, I'm Schwarzenegger.

I'm surprised Meta is arguing this path considering his penchant for literalness.

I've been clear on this: Fiorina misdescribed a video that exists. I've described the respects in which Fiorina's description is literally inaccurate. What more could you possibly want?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
HOLY SHIT, MICHAEL BENNET IS THE LUCKIEST SENATOR IN THE COUNTRY

https://twitter.com/jeremyjojola/status/649319693971509248

lol. If the NRSC couldn't even get that guy to run, who in the world could be left for them to support?

Right now, it's almost looking like Tim Nevill might end up being the nominee. A guy with no name recognition, no charisma, compares obama to hitler, and already has baggage from not following campaign finance rules.

At least George Brauchler might have brought some name recognition and moderacy.

ivysaur12

Banned
At some point, there was a lonely and frustrated Hillary Clinton, on the side of the road in Long Island, unable to reach her staff and unable to properly google "Long Island NPR".

thefro

http://www.ibj.com/articles/55085-jud-mcmillin-resigns-from-house-over-sex-video

One of the big sponsors of RFRA in Indiana, GOP Majority Leader in the State house resigns after sex video scandal. Apparently sent a mass-text of the video to his whole contact list accidentally.

Rep. Jud McMillin, R-Brookville, has resigned unexpectedly from the Indiana House—where he is in the second-highest elected leadership position—after sources say at least one sexually explicit video was discovered on his phone.

House Speaker Brian Bosma of Indianapolis said Tuesday he has accepted McMillin’s resignation. Bosma said in a written statement the caucus is “thankful for Rep. McMillin’s service to our state, and we fully support his decision to step down in order to focus on his family.”

But Bosma provided no details about McMillin’s decision, which comes less than a year after the caucus elected him to be the majority floor leader. McMillin was widely expected to seek the speaker’s job someday.

Sources close to the Republican caucus said someone obtained McMillin’s phone and discovered at least one video that showed the lawmaker involved in sexual contact. The sources did not detail who else was involved.

But before his resignation, McMillin sent a message alerting contacts that his phone had been stolen and to disregard any messages they had recently received from him. "I am truly sorry for anything offensive you may have received," the text said.

McMillin issued a statement Tuesday saying that "after five years of dedicated service I have decided the time is right for me to pass the torch and spend more time with my family."

Bosma did not return a message seeking comment. And Erin Reece, communications director for the Indiana House Republicans, declined to comment.

This is not the first time McMillin has resigned from a job under questions about sex. He resigned as an assistant prosecutor in Montgomery County, Ohio, in 2005 after he had a relationship with the victim in a domestic violence case he was prosecuting. He told the Dayton Daily News that the relationship began after he stepped off the case.

But the woman said in an affidavit that during the time the two were sexually involved, McMillin told her she would be arrested if she did not testify against the man accused of abusing her—even though she had repeatedly said she did not want to press charges.

ivysaur12

Banned
Looks like Burr is most definitely getting an actual challenger:

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/traffic/road-worrier-blog/article36294801.html

Citing her interest in a possible run for the U.S. Senate, former state Rep. Deborah Ross resigned Wednesday from her job as in-house counsel for GoTriangle, the regional transit agency.

“I’m looking at running for the U.S. Senate, and I don’t think I can do both things at the same time,” said Ross, 52, a Raleigh Democrat.

Other state Democrats considering a run for the Senate seat now held by Burr, a Republican, include state Sen. Joel Ford of Charlotte, former U.S. Rep. Heath Shuler of Waynesville, state Rep. Duane Hall of Raleigh and Chris Rey, mayor of Spring Lake.

Ross served 10 years in the state House until June 2013, when she stepped down to become GoTriangle’s general counsel. She announced her resignation, effective Oct. 2, at the agency’s monthly board meeting. She previously worked as state director of the American Civil Liberties Union, and taught law at Duke.

She didn’t want to set a date for deciding whether she will file for the Democratic Senate nomination.

“I think it’s important for me to take some time to do that consideration,” Ross said.

No way...

It's a parody.

Looks like Burr is most definitely getting an actual challenger:

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/traffic/road-worrier-blog/article36294801.html

It's a parody.

I really feel like NC is a lost cause next year for the Senate race. I don't see any of the potential challengers beating Burr in the election. I feel like the NC Democrats relied too heavily on Hagan running again, and didn't have a backup candidate when she opted out. At least Cooper has a shot at the governor's house...

He isn't running this election, but remember the name Jeff Jackson, current NC senator for Charlotte. I feel like he could have a strong chance in 2020 against Tillis.

NeoXChaos

http://firemccarthy.com/

Already starting and the man has not even been elected yet.

I really feel like NC is a lost cause next year for the Senate race. I don't see any of the potential challengers beating Burr in the election. I feel like the NC Democrats relied too heavily on Hagan running again, and didn't have a backup candidate when she opted out. At least Cooper has a shot at the governor's house...

He isn't running this election, but remember the name Jeff Jackson, current NC senator for Charlotte. I feel like he could have a strong chance in 2020 against Tillis.

If there is a wave NC will come along no matter who it is.

dramatis

Quote the part of what Fiorina said that is rendered less accurate by the new information.

And I agree with you. What she said is not accurate. I've pointed to the precise points on which it is inaccurate. None of those points is that the video doesn't exist.

If I said, "Remember that movie where Darth Vader says, 'Luke, I am your father'?", would your response be, "No such movie exists you're a liar move along now!" Or would you say, "You mean Empire Strikes Back? That's not what he says, though, by the way."

I've been clear on this: Fiorina misdescribed a video that exists. I've described the respects in which Fiorina's description is literally inaccurate. What more could you possibly want?
It's not "parts" of her description are inaccurate. Her whole description is inaccurate. The fetus was not on a table, you can't see a beating heart through skin, and nobody was saying the words she said they were saying.

The additional information reveals that the video is not a video of an abortion, but of a premature birth. The video was not filmed at a Planned Parenthood location, but at a hospital.

You like interpreting literally, right? If we go by the exact words of what Fiorina said, she lied. No such video exists. You don't get to pick and choose the parts of her narrative and say they're false, and then say her overall story is true. lol

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's not "parts" of her description are inaccurate. Her whole description is inaccurate. The fetus was not on a table, you can't see a beating heart through skin, and nobody was saying the words she said they were saying.

The additional information reveals that the video is not a video of an abortion, but of a premature birth. The video was not filmed at a Planned Parenthood location, but at a hospital.

You like interpreting literally, right? If we go by the exact words of what Fiorina said, she lied. No such video exists. You don't get to pick and choose the parts of her narrative and say they're false, and then say her overall story is true. lol

Damn, he's gonna be feeling that one for weeks.

ivysaur12

Banned

Agreed, though it feels like a lot of these races, North Carolina included, will be determined more by the national election than the senators themselves.

For different reasons, Deborah Ross and Heath Shuler might be good candidate against an unpopular Burr in a swing state if the national mood tilts towards the Democrats.

Iolo

i agree.

Typing in Google - NPR Long Island shows the stations on LI. I can't support a candidate that doesn't know how to do basic searching.

To be fair, we don't know what Google returned for that search query five years ago, in 2010.

probably the same thing

Can you point to any circumstance in which a republican has lied about their opponent and been made to pay for it? Not being sarcastic, it's a serious question. From over her in Blighty, and having followed the last three election cycles in the states like a hawk, I honestly cannot remember a single case where lying in this way has shown to be anything other than a benefit in a republican primary.

I mean, Christ they still say Obamacare has killed the economy, that Christians are under attack and that the 'liberal media' are biased against them. Look at the congressional hearings over the last four years.

Bald faced lies about left wing ideas isn't just acceptable - primary voters seem to actually want it. The more ludicrous the lie, the higher your numbers go.

(Death panels anyone?)

Apologies since I was at work, and usually can't respond when I'm there.

Actually, yes I can. It's happening right now. An article on trump's polling recovering had this fun tidbit at the bottom

fiorina_zpsvkvqfhpa.png

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/09/30/poll-shows-donald-trump-still-ahead-with-some-warning-signs/

where do you think that's coming from? this is entirely a result of the planned parenthood fallout.

Blatantly lying about right wing talking points is one thing when the rest of the field is parroting the same bullshit. That's not happening here- fiorina is on her own, and the other 10 candidates or so in the running have every reason to damage her credibility with the voting public as much as possible. Doing so while STILL shitting on planned parenthood and keeping your cred with the base is trivial.

Metaphoreus

Fiorina's misdescription is not enough to show that she lied. It shows that she misdescribed the existing video that she clearly had in mind. That could have been a lie, or it could have been a mistake. I've criticized Fiorina for not correcting herself in subsequent interviews, because it makes it more likely that she's knowingly lying rather than simply making a mistake.

But she was clearly (mis)describing the video I've linked to, just as I would clearly be (mis)describing Empire Strikes Back when referring to the one where Darth Vader says, "Luke, I am your father." It's pure obfuscation to say that no such video (or movie) exists. It's clear what was meant in both cases, misdescriptions notwithstanding.

As I already explained, I am taking Fiorina's comment literally, and explaining on what points it is literally wrong. I take it, since we actually agree on this point, that you're only purpose in continuing to comment on this topic is to troll. Your snide comment about "interpreting literally" (meaning, thinking people mean what they say) tends to confirm that view.

Maybe not, though. Hagan was unknown when she won, and she won over Liddy Dole. Burr isn't nearly as well-known (but maybe that makes him less of a lightningrod).

Yeah, I'm not understanding why he's sticking to this notion of her statement being true overall.

Perhaps what he means is that her statements aren't baseless in the sense that we don't know the video she alleges to have shown all the things that she described; chances are that hospital video is the video she based her claims on, but everything that she said about what was shown in the video is wrong, aside from there being a fetus in it.

The problem, of course, is that there is no proof of this, just conjecture, so her statements are left to stand on their own. Looking at the evidence, it is clear that if the hospital video was the video in question, her statements would be proven to be patently false.

Perhaps she should have been more specific about which video we all should have been looking at before spouting off all that nonsense. But we know why she didn't, because that would make her claims falsifiable. At this point, unless she can produce a video that displays what she claims, anyone claiming that she spoke even somewhat truthfully about this needs to hang it up and move on.

Fiorina's misdescription is not enough to show that she lied. It shows that she misdescribed the existing video that she clearly had in mind. That could have been a lie, or it could have been a mistake. I've criticized Fiorina for not correcting herself in subsequent interviews, because it makes it more likely that she's knowingly lying rather than simply making a mistake.

But she was clearly (mis)describing the video I've linked to, just as I would clearly be (mis)describing Empire Strikes Back when referring to the one where Darth Vader says, "Luke, I am your father." It's pure obfuscation to say that no such video (or movie) exists. It's clear what was meant in both cases, misdescriptions notwithstanding.

As I already explained, I am taking Fiorina's comment literally, and explaining on what points it is literally wrong. I take it, since we actually agree on this point, that you're only purpose in continuing to comment on this topic is to troll. Your snide comment about "interpreting literally" (meaning, thinking people mean what they say) tends to confirm that view.

Prove that that was the video she was talking about. If you can't, please stop with this nonsense.

Metaphoreus

Prove that that was the video she was talking about. If you can't, please stop with this nonsense.

CNN knew immediately what video she was referring to. My post here contains their analysis. It also contains my own initial analysis of the video in light of Fiorina's claims. It also contains a link to the video--in fact, to the specific segment Fiorina was referring to. Here's a later post explaining that that video is one of the "Planned Parenthood" videos released by CMP, and further offering the following comparison of Fiorina's statement with what the video depicts:

Again, here's what was described by Fiorina and [what was really shown or described in the video]: (1) a fully formed fetus [a fully formed fetus] (2) on a table [in a bowl on a table], (3) its heart beating [following a description of another intact fetus at a similar stage of development with a beating heart], (4) its legs kicking [the fetus-in-a-bowl was kicking its legs], (5) while someone says [immediately before someone said] (a) we have to keep it alive [they had to cut through its face] (b) to harvest its brain [to procure its brain].

That is my proof. It is more than sufficient.

CNN knew immediately what video she was referring to. My post here contains their analysis. It also contains my own initial analysis of the video in light of Fiorina's claims. It also contains a link to the video--in fact, to the specific segment Fiorina was referring to.

That is my proof. It is more than sufficient.

Evidence != Proof

What you have provided is a basis for what you believe to be the source of which Fiorina has based her claims. However, there is no proof of this. Essentially, any footage showing a fetus outside of the womb could qualify as 'evidence' for her claims, if that video is anything to go by.

Conjecture is not proof, and unless Fiorina gets more specific about WHERE she saw the video (not just what's in it), then she might as well have made up the whole thing.

The thing about blatant lies like this is that you can't even identify the source by its content because the content doesn't exist. Whatever mythical video she's referring to has yet to reveal itself, so either she comes up with a new claim in which the source can be unequivocally identified by its content, or she reveals the source of the claim. Fiorina has done neither, so she deserves exactly zero credibility on this matter.

It doesn't really matter if Fiorina intentionally lied or was just being disingenuous, the result is the same.

The other option is that she had some specific facts wrong and/or was misled by the propaganda. Not a ringing endorsement, either. And if the latter, why does she keep bringing up the point?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It doesn't really matter if Fiorina intentionally lied or was just being disingenuous, the result is the same.

The other option is that she had some specific facts wrong and/or was misled by the propaganda. Not a ringing endorsement, either. And if the latter, why does she keep bringing up the point?

Because GOP voters don't care if she's lying or not. In fact, I can't honestly remember the last time a far-right GOP candidate was actually called out by his own people or had his numbers hurt by a lie.

Metaphoreus is arguing with himself. :)

It sure seems that way, doesn't it?

They're literally synonyms, dude.

That's my only response to this, because the rest of your argument is nonsense. If you applied that standard of proof to any other thing in your life, you'd be incapable of functioning.

Synonyms in the colloquial sense, but they are not interchangeable terms.

Anyway, that standard of proof is necessary for rational argumentation and sound logic. I don't need to apply it to most areas of my life, so I think I should be capable of functioning quite swimmingly, under the circumstances ;)

Because GOP voters don't care if she's lying or not. In fact, I can't honestly remember the last time a far-right GOP candidate was actually called out by his own people or had his numbers hurt by a lie.

Right. Which means she's willing to peddle bullshit for political points even if it means messing with access to healthcare for women.

I don't know how that stands any reasonable test for somebody who's so anti-abortion that they don't care about facts.

Metaphoreus

Synonyms in the colloquial sense, but they are not interchangeable terms.

Anyway, that standard of proof is necessary for rational argumentation and sound logic. I don't need to apply it to most areas of my life, so I think I should be capable of functioning quite swimmingly, under the circumstances ;)

No, that standard of proof isn't necessary for rational argument. Rational argument generally turns on probabilities--if A is more likely true than not-A, then one should rationally believe A. And a basis for a belief is evidence, or proof (which often are interchangeable). Your attempts to distinguish the concepts makes me wonder if you're not a robot having difficulty parsing the language.

Consider this in light of my Empire Strikes Back analogy. Imagine someone says, "Do you remember that movie where Darth Vader says, 'Luke, I am your father'?" Imagine someone else replying, "Yes, you're thinking of Empire Strikes Back, but that's not exactly what he says." Would you honestly contest that conclusion? Would you honestly say it hasn't been proven after being shown a clip of the pertinent scene? Of course you wouldn't! The main features described are all there: Darth Vader, his son Luke, the revelation of their familial relationship.

Likewise, the main features described by Fiorina are (mostly) there: an intact fetus (shown and described), its heart beating (described), its legs kicking (shown), while someone says they'll be harvesting its brain (described, but as "procuring"). While the "we have to keep it alive" bit is missing, there's enough here to demonstrate that she's merely misdescribing this particular clip, not inventing a scene whole cloth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom