• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.
y? wouldn't their constituents want them to stall?
Middle of America probably not as much. I think leaving SCOTUS one seat short would be seen as kind of a big deal.

Anyway, RIP to the man. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. If Obama is able to get someone through what would an extra liberal vote swing? Citizens United, EPA regulations, death penalty?

Oh shit, Justice Klobuchar. Yes. Wholeheartedly endorse.

tmarg

If Obama doesn't appoint, it means we get boosted turnout, and forces republicans to run on abortion and gay marriage.

Touchdown

Banned
Ding Dong! The Witch is dead. Which old Witch? The Wicked Witch!
Ding Dong! The Wicked Witch is dead.
Wake up - sleepy head, rub your eyes, get out of bed.
Wake up, the Wicked Witch is dead. She's gone where the goblins go,
Below hoo - below. Yo-ho, let's open up and sing and ring the bells out.
Ding Dong' the merry-oh, sing it high, sing it low.
Let them know
The Wicked Witch is dead!
as mayor of the munchkin city in the county of the land of oz, I welcome
you most gleefully, but we've got to verify if legally to see to see if she if she
is morally, ethically, spiritually, physically, positively, absolutely undeniably unreliably dead.
As coroner I vouch for her I thoroughly examined her and she's not only really
dead, she's really most sincerely dead. and this is a day of independence, for all the munchkins and there descendants.
Sinphony yes lets the joyous news be spread the wicked old witch at last is dead.
Ding Dong! The Witch is dead. Which old Witch? The Wicked Witch!
Ding Dong! The Wicked Witch is dead.
Wake up - sleepy head, rub your eyes, get out of bed.
Wake up, the Wicked Witch is dead. She's gone where the goblins go,
Belowhoo - below. Yo-ho, let's open up and sing and ring the bells out.
Ding Dong' the merry-oh, sing it high, sing it low.
Let them know
The Wicked Witch is dead!

506176bd3a.gif

Yes. Republicans approving Obama's appointee in an election year sounds like a bad idea.

A bad idea for whom? Stalling could certainly hurt some some Senate candidates in a year in which the Democrats have a good chance of retaking it. There are Republican Senators running in more socially moderate or liberal states that don't want this to become an issue.

K.Sabot

This is gonna prompt both sides to get their shit together in the election imo.

Republicans are gonna have to scale back the freakshow.

Owzers

This is gonna prompt both sides to get their shit together in the election imo.

Republicans are gonna have to scale back the freakshow.

i feel like this will be the opposite, huge focus on the open seat. Citizens, it's time to take our country back etc etc.

Gotchaye

If Obama doesn't appoint, it means we get boosted turnout, and forces republicans to run on abortion and gay marriage.

Yeah, I think that's how it would play out. But at the same time I'm not sure that enough individual Senators have good reason to vote to confirm. Really hard to confirm before the Republican convention.

So, if a Dem is in office in 2017, won't most of the older liberal justices just retire and let fresh blood in?
Kennedy (swing) and Ginsburg (left) are probably next to step down.

Scalia was often thought to be among them but would hold out for a GOP president. Guess spite can only keep you going for so long.

HylianTom

Banned
How the Senate acts is going to be a reflection of how they truly, deep-down feel about their chances in November.

In the event that the seat stays vacant to the election, this is also going to be a "put-up-or-shut-up" test for ideological purity hawk voters on both sides of the aisle.

Bowdz

I may have disagreed with nearly every one of his decisions, but I certainly respected his intellect and impact on political discourse in the country.

RIP Scalia.

On that note, 2016 just got very interesting.

Makai

Cenk's prediction about Bernie winning the nomination is interesting after hearing his explanation. Will Hillary or Bernie win New York?

FiggyCal

Banned
Cenk's prediction about Bernie winning the nomination is interesting after hearing his explanation. Will Hillary or Bernie win New York?

Doug Hennwood had a really interesting explanation for why Hillary shouldn't win NY. But maybe people forget how hard she pandered during her run in the senate.

https://twitter.com/conncarroll/status/698626902160838656
And thus it begins.

Walked in the house and saw I had 20+ text messages and nearly as many calls. This election is everything, ladies and gentlemen.

There are a few ways this can go. We could see Obama use this as an opportunity to unite people. Bring in Hatch, Grassley, etc and try to come up with some type of agreement. Find some type of bipartisan candidate and go from there.

But more than likely presidential politics will blow up any attempt by genuine folks (Obama, Hatch, Grassley, etc) to potentially get something done. Ted Cruz especially. And any extremist position he takes will be mirrored by Rubio here. If I was a prominent republican senator I'd use the threat of Cruz blowing everything up to perhaps force Obama to appoint a nominee of my choosing. An all or nothing approach.

Of course the danger of that is Obama making a recess appointment. I think he's out of fucks and genuinely dislikes senate republicans enough to do this, IF it comes to it. I don't believe Obama will let the next president choose the Justice unless he absolutely has to.

kirblar

https://twitter.com/conncarroll/status/698626902160838656
And thus it begins.

Walked in the house and saw I had 20+ text messages and nearly as many calls. This election is everything, ladies and gentlemen.

There are a few ways this can go. We could see Obama use this as an opportunity to unite people. Bring in Hatch, Grassley, etc and try to come up with some type of agreement. Find some type of bipartisan candidate and go from there.

But more than likely presidential politics will blow up any attempt by genuine folks (Obama, Hatch, Grassley, etc) to potentially get something done. Ted Cruz especially. And any extremist position he takes will be mirrored by Rubio here. If I was a prominent republican senator I'd use the threat of Cruz blowing everything up to perhaps force Obama to appoint a nominee of my choosing. An all or nothing approach.

Of course the danger of that is Obama making a recess appointment. I think he's out of fucks and genuinely dislikes senate republicans enough to do this, IF it comes to it. I don't believe Obama will let the next president choose the Justice unless he absolutely has to.
Where are you working? (generally speaking)

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
This is massive. In my mind this election has always been about the Supreme Court, and I was happy that it was there in the background largely ignored by the right.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So Scalia kicked it. I guess now we'll see if the claims of people are true that the Republicans aren't extreme enough to block an SC appointment that could change the power make up of the court.

I maintain that there's no way Republicans will bother for the remainder of Obama's term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom