• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
His body isn't even cold yet, ass. Stop slobbing that nob and thinking the Republicans are gonna pick the next Justice.

His body isn't cold yet and I'm pretty sure all of us on the left are just as excited about who could replace him and who gets to replace him. I hate Cruz, but I can't blame him for being all up in this.

Bowdz

Sri Srinivasan has been mentioned as a possible nominee for a while- http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/04/who-sri-srinivasan-supreme-court Was already confirmed to the DC Court 97-0, which ratchets things up on the GOP if they want to go for a block.

Perfect pick IMO.

Not to far to the left, already received unanimous support, Indian American, highly qualified, and with the added bonus of amazing political backing if the GOP blocks it.

I swear, this year is like a season of the West Wing. It is fucking bonkers.

Averon

Wow. This is a game changer. I cannot imagine the GOP controlled Senate would allows Obama to appoint someone before he leaves office in 11 months.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
His body isn't cold yet and I'm pretty sure all of us on the left are just as excited about who could replace him and who gets to replace him. I hate Cruz, but I can't blame him for being all up in this.

I expected Cruz to comment. I didn't expect him to instantly plant himself in the "the nomination should be delayed until 2017" camp. That's a risky position, riskier than Cruz seems to normally like.

It's one thing for Monday morning quarterbacks in a forum to be taking about this, but Ted Cruz politicizing this right away is a dick move for an elected official

Wilsongt

Oh boy the GOP debates are going to be magical with this news...

With the recent EPA rulings, Obama is in a position to put at least someone moderate on the court and at least give the environment a much needed +1.

Hell, picking the next justice is almost as big as the next president at this point... But, can you get anymore conservative than Scalia? Batshit insane, yes, but conservative?

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Man, what are the odds for an X-Files-style revival? I'm sure Sorkins' fingers are itching, right?

giphy.gif

Josh Finestone ‏@Josh_Finestone 20m20 minutes ago
What if Obama nominated Cruz? That would solve a lot of problems. I bet senate would confirm 100-0 just to let him leave senate

damn

SL128

It won't happen, but I can't even imagine the nuclear bomb that would go off in the conservative world if that happened
Best thing is that if it were to happen, it's not even clear if he would have to give up the presidency to serve. I would forgive Obama for so much if he decided to go out with that kind of trollery.

User 406

Banned
Ted Cruz @tedcruz
Justice Scalia was an American hero. We owe it to him, & the Nation, for the Senate to ensure that the next President names his replacement.

Ted's right, I should be the guy to name Scalia's replacement. ?:^V

Ecotic

At least liberals will now be reminded over and over this year that 2016 is vital because of the Supreme Court.

Obama needs to nominate someone with unimpeachable credentials and a minority. Like Leah Ward Sears (off the top of my head). The optics of Republicans trying to block someone like that would be damning in an election year.

zargle

Isn't the SC supposed to be hearing arguments on cases soon? Will they go ahead and make decisions without a full bench and could that lead to some cases being 4-4? I assume something like this has happened before if a justice was ill or recused themselves, I just don't recall hearing about it.

Makai

Trump has a weird reaction

@realDonaldTrump The totally unexpected loss of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia is a massive setback for the Conservative movement and our COUNTRY!

Kyosaiga

Banned
Fuck nominating a moderate. Obama should just go all out, not giving a fuck.

And then sit back and watch the GOP destroy itself.

Wilsongt

When was the last time a judge actually died while on the bench?

Damn. Wikipedia is fast. Scrubbing Scalia from the current membership roster almost immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom