• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reaction so far to tonight's debate reminds me a lot of the CNBC debate. I wonder if in the end, everyone blames CBS for what is going down tonight.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Here's some data on election-year SCOTUS nominations. One thing I haven't seen mentioned in discussions of such history is that, until about the middle of the twentieth century, judicial nominations weren't really partisan affairs.

Until the middle of the twentieth century, polling, television, and mass media didn't exist.

Until the beginning of the twentieth century, it was convention that presidential candidates didn't even campaign.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This debate has convinced me of a few things:

1) RNC is blatantly trying to rig this primary for Rubio/Jeb. Not even hiding it.
2) Trump is running third party if they screw him out of the nomination.
3) These debates should have zero audience members.

danm999

Why should there be moderators? We all know that everyone wants a blood match.

One or two GOP debates ago, on the undercard debate, they interviewed the moderators post show, and they said casually "they didn't really answer our questions, but we didn't call them on that because we didn't want to become part of the story".

Diablos

This debate has convinced me of a few things:

1) RNC is blatantly trying to rig this primary for Rubio/Jeb. Not even hiding it.
2) Trump is running third party if they screw him out of the nomination.
3) These debates should have zero audience members.
I agree. I think Rubio is digging himself out of his hole. I expect his poll numbers to go up

I think this was one of the best and worst GOP debate thus far.

One or two GOP debates ago, on the undercard debate, they interviewed the moderators post show, and they said casually "they didn't really answer our questions, but we didn't call them on that because we didn't want to become part of the story".

They are in the crossfire kind of hard not to be part of the story.

I don't understand how anyone could vote for any of these clowns. What a shitshow. Worst debate by far, and that's saying a lot.

Dems must be feeling really good now. Hopefully they don't get too cocky and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I don't understand how anyone could vote for any of these clowns. What a shitshow. Worst debate by far, and that's saying a lot.

Dems must be feeling really good now. Hopefully they don't get too cocky and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

You can thank Sanders for keeping it competitive because without him, Hillary probably would be cocky and not becoming more polished.

Trump had a poor night, but I don't know who really did well. I suppose Jeb handled himself better than he normally does, but it won't help him. Rubio did little to stand out other than his exchange with Cruz over immigration. Jeb actually made Kasich look like a "liberal" and Kasich's attempts to portray himself as above the fray were nothing new. I don't really know how to read into Cruz's performance. Will the liar thing both Rubio and Trump tried to put on him stick?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I want no part of Trump in the GE unless he's facing Sanders. If he gets out of the Republican primary with the comments about PP and the Iraq War - he's going to get a ton of moderates.

danm999

I want no part of Trump in the GE unless he's facing Sanders. If he gets out of the Republican primary with the comments about PP and the Iraq War - he's going to get a ton of moderates.

The Iraq war he might get some mileage but what is he going to do with PP? They already endorsed Clinton.

NeoXChaos

Kyle Kondik ‏@kkondik 15m15 minutes ago
I'd say Rubio-Kasich modestly good tonight. Cruz-Bush, meh. Carson has lost contact w/ ground control. Trump may be bulletproof

Kyle Kondik ‏@kkondik 11m11 minutes ago
Kyle Kondik Retweeted Brandon
Probably not. Trump needs to sink himself - and even he may not be capable of it

Larry Sabato ‏@LarrySabato 14m14 minutes ago
Argue about the winners all you want. The losers were the audience, CBS, and the RNC. Very, very disappointing.

lol

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
The Iraq war he might get some mileage but what is he going to do with PP? They already endorsed Clinton.

That's fine - but if he gets out of the Republican primary being moderate except for immigration? That's the worst nightmare for any Dem nominee. Part of the reason McCain and Romney lost is because they had to swing so rightward to win the nomination. If somehow Trump (or Kasich, but Kasich's record is pretty conservative) gets out of the process while remaining mostly moderate except for immigration...plus his persuasion skills...I do not want HRC / the DNC going up against that.

Trump is the only person on there that actually is like you know?

Ya. He's insane, but he's like right on planned parenthood and on Iraq and on Shrub. Ya. He's a racist bigot and whatever, so I wouldn't vote for him. But he's the least bad bad choice.

That's fine - but if he gets out of the Republican primary being moderate except for immigration? That's the worst nightmare for any Dem nominee. Part of the reason McCain and Romney lost is because they had to swing so rightward to win the nomination. If somehow Trump (or Kasich, but Kasich's record is pretty conservative) gets out of the process while remaining mostly moderate except for immigration...plus his persuasion skills...I do not want HRC / the DNC going up against that.

"He gets out of the Republican primary being moderate except for revealing himself to be a white supremacist"....Yeah, I'm not worried about how "moderate" he'll be viewed. All people of color hate Trump because they know Trump hates them.

Seriously? Do people really think that Trump saying something nice about PP is going to make people think he's moderate. Everything about him is based on extremism and not 'being part of the system'. Oh, and if you're looking for an issue besides immigration he isn't moderate on, there is his $10 trillion dollar tax cut that massively benefits the 1%. When people realize that its going to kill his appeal to the working class.

danm999

I don't think immigration is the only policy where he's shot his right wing load.

He's pro-life, anti-gun control, anti-BLM, global warming is a Chinese conspiracy, his tax plan is a wet dream for Democrats to run against, anti same sex marriage, etc.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Been saying this for a while now. It will not be hard at all for him to shift to the center.

Tubie

I can't believe that debate actually happened like it did.

Where do you begin or end when describing such a disaster.

RNC tonight:

Jack-Donaghy-Pouring-Alcohol-Loop-30-Rock.gif

And torture...and taxes...and criminal justice... and (especially) climate change... and the minimum wage and gun control...

That's fine - but if he gets out of the Republican primary being moderate except for immigration? That's the worst nightmare for any Dem nominee.

Oh and here's what Frank Luntz thought of tonight's shit-show:

For the first time ever, a #GOPDebate audience booed more than they cheered.

This isn't just insane, this is suicidal. This is pathetic.

Yes, Dems should be terrified by the campaign that Frank Luntz thinks is suicidal .

And torture...and taxes...and criminal justice... and (especially) climate change... and the minimum wage and gun control...

And on the whole "freedom of religion" thing.

"we're going to go after their families" yeah, worried about this moderate over here.

"The Central Park Five should be executed" he really might steal some of the black vote too.

Kyosaiga

Banned
"My mom is the strongest person I know!"

"Then she should be running"

Somebody call the police I think I just witnessed a murder!!!!

Splendor

Seriously one or two positions does not a moderate make. Trump is like 8/10 craziness on some issues and by being with 10/10 opponents he looks moderate, but once he seen as seperate from them he will not look moderate to much of the population

I am no optimist, I think Clinton could lose to most of the Republican field(even Cruz) but I really do think Trump is completely unelectable. A narcissistic reality TV show star and trust fund baby will not be our president-elect on November 9th, 2016.

Seriously one or two positions does not a moderate make. Trump is like 8/10 craziness on some issues and by being with 10/10 opponents he looks moderate, but once he seen as seperate from them he will not look moderate to much of the population

I'm convinced that Trump is a secret Democrat plant.

The degree to which candidate Trump could chameleon away from primary Trump would be interesting. But I think some of the things people are listing here are things that they personally care about or find objectionable rather than what nebulous "middle America" does.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't even know how to react to what I just watched tonight.

I feel disturbed and unclean.
I am very shook. I thought that was very rough. Trump got hurt bad I think. The imagery is just terrible. But I doubt the media can turn this into something like with Rubio last time.

Jeb's entitlement and privilege in action is honestly fascinating. He refuses to back down from what he views as his birth right (the nomination) and thus keeps fighting Trump despite Trump eating him every time.

I keep saying the one drop rule exist in politics . That is why we have the 'in name only' acronyms. Trump can say something kinda sensible and suddenly he isn't insane because he says something liberal. There's is no such thing as being half insane it is most likely a brief moment of sanity.... well at least I think so.

Tubie

Jeb's entitlement and privilege in action is honestly astonishing. He refuses to back down from what he views as his birth right (the nomination) and thus keeps fighting Trump despite Trump eating him every time.

Jeb and his teams are idiots for still going with this strategy of going at Trump in debates.

All Jeb does is lose or tie exchanges with Trump and at the same time give even more talking time to Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom