• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT| Ask us about our performance with Latinos in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
1. The ad didn't even mention the Central Park Five. That quote is completely false.

2. The context is his claim that Mexico was aiding convicts to illegally immigrate to the US. Not that all Mexicans are rapists. Scaremongering? Sure. Total bullshit? Almost definitely. Calling him a white supremacist is a bit far though.

3. There's no ban on "brown people". There's a temporary ban on Muslims which is pretty disgusting, sure. But saying Muslims = brown people is pretty racist in itself.

Trump is for legal immigration where there are skills shortages though, similar to the way most countries run their immigration systems.

Anyway, I don't think hyperbole helps anyone. Calling Trump a white supremacist is not only false, but not constructive or conducive to rational debate.

This post is a great demonstration of what Trump figured out that the rest of the GOP was avoiding -- to the GOP's target audience, there is no racism so overt that it can't be explained away. There's no reason to hide it! Unless you want to win the general. And maybe not even then.

So after hunting down the debate on youtube, was Trump trying to torpedo his campaign or is this the start of him triangulating for the general?

I think Scalia is going to push things into levels of surreal chaos.

danm999

So after hunting down the debate on youtube, was Trump trying to torpedo his campaign or is this the start of him triangulating for the general?

I think Scalia is going to push things into levels of surreal chaos.

I don't think he said anything he hasn't already said before (eminent domain, opposition to Iraq war, abortion views), it's just that because the race has shifted to a solid Red state his opponents are trying to hit him from the right in a way that wouldn't be advantageous for them in Iowa or New Hampshire.

Trump isn't really shifting so much as his opponents are attempting to paint him as a secret leftist because they're at a point in the primary where it's beneficial.

Holmes

Holy shit, just read about Scalia

Dems need to stop fucking around and really look at who can win November easily. #VoteHillary
Clinton wasting no time going after Republicans on this issue and standing behind Obama was well played, especially with Sanders lagging on this.

Clinton wasting no time going after Republicans on this issue and standing behind Obama was well played, especially with Sanders lagging on this.

Sanders didn't lag on this. He put out a statement almost immediately supporting Obama.

Smart people in the room here, but you don't seem to keep up.

Averon

Will be interesting to see what the GOP in the Senate do. Will they block Obama's nominee for the rest of his term, gambling the they will win the WH in November? Or will they try to work with Obama to get a moderate pick approved out of fear they will lose the WH and Senate control in November, thus having greatly diminished leverage against a more liberal pick in 2017 by Hilary or Bernie?

If it gets clearer Trump is the GOP nominee, I can see the GOP trying to work with Obama to get a moderate pick through. I can't imagine any GOP senator have faith that Trump can win.

War on Vaping! Film at 11.

Also, kind of curious now if the nominees Obama does put forward will end up getting push-back from Republicans for being too liberal and from his own party for being not liberal enough.

Eh given the Senate confirmation I wouldn't expect more than a liberal leaning moderate. Given who they are replacing its hard to argue that even that wouldn't have a significant effect.

So, CNN is running the episode of The Sixties about the 1968 election. I've watched this before, but not since this ridiculous season started. Not that I'd expect violence or a police state at a convention in this era (the optics would be a death sentence for whichever party), but I think there are still many shoes yet to drop and in multiple places. An actual contested convention (as in beyond just a brokered mess inside) with protests would be quite a sight to see in the "money = speech" era. I can only imagine that the third party knife twist left a lot of people really bitter from that cycle.

There is no enjoyment for the rest of 2016. There is only pain.

Holmes

Sanders didn't lag on this. He put out a statement almost immediately supporting Obama.

Smart people in the room here, but you don't seem to keep up.
Sorry for not keeping up I guess. Statements are the most basic level of support but I didn't see much from him on this at the CO Dem Dinner, whereas Clinton hammered Republicans hard there and squeezed Obama hard. Did you watch it or were you too busy watching the GOP debate? Or is the CO Dem Dinner not smart enough for you?

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Technically the Senate can refuse to ever confirm someone to the Supreme Court just like Congress can technically never pass a law and the President can technically always veto every bill. The constitution assumes a certain level of participation in order for a functioning democracy to exist.

I'm responding to your post as a general response to the replies my post received. I don't disagree. Congress should work with the president; the president should work with Congress. I'm not sure how the politics of obstructing an Obama nominee would work out in this case. It could be to the Republicans' advantage, or it could be to their detriment.

No way. Louis Brandeis

I guess there are exceptions to every rule, but, as I understand it, generally court appointments--including to SCOTUS--were not as contentious prior to the Warren Court. I'm basing that conclusion on my hazy recollection of this book, which I read about a decade ago.

Until the middle of the twentieth century, polling, television, and mass media didn't exist.

Until the beginning of the twentieth century, it was convention that presidential candidates didn't even campaign.

I think you're missing my point, which is that calling the Republican response to Obama's nomination (whatever that response ends up being) "unprecedented" is trivial. Of course it's unprecedented. The whole situation is unprecedented. Pointing to history as if it prescribes what should be done in this scenario is silly.

Ecotic

The gambles each side will be taking with this nomination are quite fascinating. Republicans could completely obstruct and Democrats could win big in November and nominate someone very liberal and Republicans will have missed their chance to secure someone more moderate. Obama and Democrats could settle for that moderate when they could have a more liberal nominee next year.

The gambles each side will be taking with this nomination are quite fascinating. Republicans could completely obstruct and Democrats could win big in November and nominate someone very liberal and Republicans will have missed their chance to secure someone more moderate. Obama and Democrats could settle for that moderate when they could have a more liberal nominee next year.
Well, there's also door number three: the GOP winning and controlling the WH, keeping both houses and installing Scalia 2.0.

Kyosaiga

Banned
I say they should go for broke and go straight liberal. The stakes are already high why not go all out?

More Hispandering from Abuela Clinton:

As I explained with the Sanders Spanish tweet, this is not hispandering. It's simply a statement translated in Spanish that implies that Hillary would be the most qualified president to protect the hispanics and their rights from any agenda coming from the republican side that would strip them of their rights.

You could argue that she's pandering for the hispanic vote, but that's not the same as 'hispandering', which has more to do with attempts from non-hispanics to try and paint themselves as relatable to the hispanics in hopes that hispanics would connect with them and subsequently support them.

Sorry for not keeping up I guess. Statements are the most basic level of support but I didn't see much from him on this at the CO Dem Dinner, whereas Clinton hammered Republicans hard there and squeezed Obama hard. Did you watch it or were you too busy watching the GOP debate? Or is the CO Dem Dinner not smart enough for you?

It wouldn't matter. You're so tightly wound up with Hillary that no matter what he did or said, it wouldn't be enough. You are as immovable as I am.

And I said you were smart, just not current. Maybe you're avoiding any positive news about Bernie?

I say they should go for broke and go straight liberal. The stakes are already high why not go all out?

Ha, hahahahahahah! This Democratic Party? If it was Hillary, she'd start with a center-left candidate and then get bargained down to a right or center-right candidate.

"No we can't. Vote Hillary 2016!"

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
As I explained with the Sanders Spanish tweet, this is not hispandering. It's simply a statement translated in Spanish that implies that Hillary would be the most qualified president to protect the hispanics and their rights from any agenda coming from the republican side that would strip them of their rights.

You could argue that she's pandering for the hispanic vote, but that's not the same as 'hispandering', which has more to do with attempts from non-hispanics to try and paint themselves as relatable to the hispanics in hopes that hispanics would connect with them and subsequently support them.

T'was joking. ;)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Rubio freaked me out this debate. Up until now hes been pushing his neocon side really hard and that alone is pretty scary, but when he started talking about the constitution not being a living document and how our laws were made by god im like uhhhhhhh how the fuck did people think you were even close to moderate. Dude truly is a freak.

Thankfully it seems like hes pretty irrelevant now.

Trumps attacks on Bush were pretty effective I think. A lot of folks have rose-tinted glasses when it comes to W, but all it is is distance. 20% approvals didnt happen on accident.

People tend to forget their anger, rough edges become smooth over time. But all it takes to bring those feelings back is for someone to come in and point it out. The bush family and their neocon buddies were all about revising history during this election in order to bring W back to support their guy, but they forgot its not just democrats that hate Bush.

Trump brought back all that anger and I feel made a really good case as to why Jeb is exactly the candidate Trump supporters should hate. Youre voting for Trump because these guys are slimy politicians that are trying to sell you the same snake oil they sold you back then.

This is one of those things where you see a clear cut divide with tea partiers and the neocons. And I think Rubio and Bush got exposed here. I dont think anyone buys that 9/11 was Clinton's fault, either. Thats just dumb, even if youre a hardcore conspiracy theorist.

Rubio freaked me out this debate. Up until now hes been pushing his neocon side really hard and that alone is pretty scary, but when he started talking about the constitution not being a living document and how our laws were made by god im like uhhhhhhh how the fuck did people think you were even close to moderate. Dude truly is a freak.

Trumps attacks on Bush were pretty effective I think. A lot of folks have rose-tinted glasses when it comes to W, but all it is is distance. 20% approvals didnt happen on accident.

People tend to forget their anger, rough edges become smooth over time. But all it takes to bring those feelings back is for someone to come in and point it out. The bush family and their neocon buddies were all about revising history during this election in order to bring W back to support their guy, but they forgot its not just democrats that hate Bush.

Trump brought back all that anger and I feel made a really good case as to why Jeb is exactly the candidate Trump supporters should hate. Youre voting for Trump because these guys are slimy politicians that are trying to sell you the same snake oil they sold you back then.

This is one of those things where you see a clear cut divide with tea partiers and the neocons. And I think Rubio and Bush got exposed here. I dont think anyone buys that 9/11 was Clinton's fault, either. Thats just dumb, even if youre a hardcore conspiracy theorist.

i cant believe Rubio pulled that shit, i laughed so hard

Jebby forced to defend his family name by Trump is easily the greatest thing this election. Like, the dude cant talk about his vision without W being brought up by Trump. I agree, the memories are still painful. We were losing 100 soldiers a month for a bullshit war, tepid economy, mind-numbingly bad Katrina response and finally a complete economic collapse. Not only that, he's being trying to shake off his "weakling" moniker by Trump for months. Jeb has work cut out for him :lol

Except, W isn't hated by Republicans. He has better favorables than anyone running.

I think people are forgetting that a 20% approval rate is likely 40%+ amongst Republicans (more than half the pop is Dem + Indep) and likely even higher amongst Primary Voting Republicans (who are more dedicated to least some conservative principle).

12742736_626892007459575_8715005862821893837_n.jpg

Goddamn.

Wow.

I limited my shade to merely wondering who Thomas would crib his opinions from.

Diablos

lol @ Orrin Hatch being floated by GOPers for SCOTUS nominee. Get the fuck out of here.

Elections have consequences. Respect the institution that you serve and confirm Obama's nomination. Win in November if you want to see conservative judges get nominated.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I can't get over how scummy it is that the RNC is trying to rig the primaries with those crowds. Also, LOL at Trump going after Fox News again on Twitter. This is amazing.

Some hilarious quotes from during and after the debate:

“Trump is a disaster area. His yelling, shouting, ridiculous bloviation, and leftist lying were all on full display tonight. It may not matter.” — Ben Shapiro, editor at large for Breitbart.com

“Oh, Ben Carson. What are you saying? Seriously. What are you talking about.” — Amy Walter, national editor of the Cook Political Report

“Kasich: the nice-guy-reach-across-the-aisles stuff just won’t play in the first-in-the-South G.O.P. primary.” — Marc Caputo, Florida reporter for Politico

“Those thinking this debate will end Trump may be surprised when they find out just how unpopular Bush-era domestic & foreign policy is.” — Laura Ingraham, conservative host of The Laura Ingraham show

“Seriously, this is insane. The G.O.P. is destroying itself tonight, and they have no one to blame but themselves.” — Frank Luntz, Republican pollster

I think Ingraham's comment about Bush policies is telling. A lot of republicans live in a bubble where they think it was amazing and the rest of the country absolutely hates it. That's great for a primary but a total disaster in a general election.

As for the online polls which Trump seems to be dominating, either:

A) He's paying people ala Ron Paul to rig the online votes, or
B) The base is so fed up with the establishment that this race is already over.

I mean, Rubio/Cruz are so far behind in these polls. Like 40-50% each time.

Gruco

Banned
I don't even know how to react to what I just watched tonight.

I feel disturbed and unclean.

Still not quite sure how to react to the clown/horror/shit show.

It was kind of amazing to see someone stand on a GOP stage and say the Iraq war was a fraudulent sham, Bush didn't keep us safe on 9/11, and Planned Parenthood actually does some things. That was actually...kind of awesome?

But at the same time. Trump really enraged me with his behavior, on a completely personal level, which I'd never quite seen him do before. I think he took the talking over other too far. Came across as spoiled, entitled, and petulant all at once. Like, someone there needed to ask him whether he was a big boy or not, and give him a time out. I can't cheer for this nonsense anymore. The guy needs to loose asap. I don't want the democrats to run against him. Shit is too dangerous. And fuck everyone on that stage other than Bush for being too cowardly to go in on him.

beyond that.

Rubio pulling out "Glad Gore wasn't president on 9/11." Fuck you, idiot.

Kasich is completely disgusting. Smarmy and creepy.

Cruz and Rubio arguing in spanish over who hates immigrants the most.

Crowd boos because the moderators wanted to "get the facts straight"

People seriously want to leave a bench seat open for over a year and can't even make the effort to disguise their motivations beyond "that's ours, we want it, you can't have it."

I have no idea who won or lost and don't fucking care.

"Trainwreck" doesn't even come close.

I can't help but enjoy watching how Luntz has been seeing his favoured party crash and burn in these recent years, and is forced to come to terms with the fact that no, it wasn't the democrats doing wot done it.

Also no idea why Shapiro hates Trump, dude is his "how to argue with libruls" book made flesh.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
LOL at Vox listing the moderators as "winners" in the debate and saying they did a good job.

Tarkus

Rubio killed in round 1. I can't figure out if the audience is booing Ted or the moderator.

Trump v Bush is a blood bath. This is so good.

Plinko

Rubio killed in round 1. I can't figure out if the audience is booing Ted or the moderator.

Trump v Bush is a blood bath. This is so good.

The paid shill audience booed the moderators and Trump and blew the roof off the arena any time Jeb or Rubio started talking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom